Pages: [1]

Mage Wars 2 Development

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I guess I can say it in advanced...Mage Wars will be returning to Summersend this year in updated form, and that means I am developing the next version!

The primary purpose of this update will be to make Mage Wars easier to host. The original version required that for every turn the game host had to go into the game code, add all player moves, check the list of items/NPCs to see if a player had ran into one, regenerate items/NPC locations, etc. Suffice to say that's a lot of work for a host to do every round. My primary goal is to make it so that advancing a round requires no changes to manual code edits. Eventually, I may even grant our Patreons and donators the ability to host their own private games as a perk, but that would be a ways away.

The secondary purpose of this update is [redacted]. :P

The tertiary purpose of this update is to include as many features as possible from the Direwood Shadows expansion that I announced last year at Summersend and unfortunately was unable to complete, most of which were never announced. This isn't considered vital to have for the Summersend game though, so if time doesn't allow this may not be done.

Oh yeah, and don't worry about the Clickwar update, I hope to continue with it after Summersend.

5 people like this post: taulover, Red Mones, Gerrick, Imaginative Kane, Hydra

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The first step to moving things out of game code is to put them in the database, which means today I started making database tables and started working on the code to pull that data.

When the game is ran, it will pull game data from the database...if it doesn't exist, the game will assume that it hasn't started yet, and if the person viewing the page is the host, they will be able to set up game options such as initial grid size and players and start the game (other players will see a "Waiting for host to initialize game" message).
    3 people like this post: taulover, Red Mones, Imaginative Kane

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation