Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15

The North Pacific

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • There's where we have some differences...being a smaller UCR, we don't have a large pool of people interested in government or civics, so a lot of people end up in positions by default. It's not meritocratic at all, but fortunately most people who end up in a position are dedicated and do good work nonetheless. :)

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter

• Text Version
    Dedicated entirely to defining, exploring, and evaluating Information For Voters releases (IFVs), this piece takes an in-depth look at an increasingly critical component of many regions' WA programs. This essay also takes a look at the dual nature of IFVs: they serve to both amplify regional voting power and provide players less involved in WA matters with a means of gaining greater insight into a specific proposal.
    Kenmoria - The Role of IFVs in the General Assembly

This relatively shorter essay defines and examines liberations in the modern sense- specifically, offensive liberations and their defensive (or "standard") counterparts. Liberations are a potent tool, which can be wielded to protect native populations- or to harm them.
    Lord Dominator - Offensive and Defensive Liberations

This piece explores the logic that often shapes big Delegate voting in the General Assembly, and examines several differing schools of thought when it comes to determining how regional Delegate votes are cast. A secondary purpose of this essay is to examine the factors that often determine a region's voting stance on a particular proposal, and the role of IFVs in shaping how votes are cast.
    Maowi - Regional Delegates and General Assembly Canon

Interpreting committee provisions within General Assembly resolutions is inherently a point of some controversy due largely to the significant differences in how national governments and WA committees create and enforce regulations, and the increasing reliance of proposals on committees. This piece argues in favor of applying the reasonable nation test (nations would not interpret provisions in a self-detrimental way) to committee provisions.
    Imperium Anglorum - Interpreting committee provisions
    3 people like this post: Red Mones, Barnes, Wintermoot
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot
  • Thanks for the update! :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter

• [SIZE=150] Regional Assembly Highlights | August - September 2020[/size]
    by Cretox State, Deputy Speaker

Speaker: St George (MadJack)
    Deputy Speakers (August): Robespierre, Crushing Our Enemies, Cretox State, and Bobberino
    Deputy Speakers (September): Robespierre, BobberinoComfed, and Lady Raven Wing

Current Business

Current outstanding business for the Regional Assembly as of writing is voting on the rejection of New Francois's citizenship application by the Vice Delegate, and handling the potential confirmation of Gorundu as prosecutor for the court case  "The North Pacific v. New Francois".

-~-

Rejection of New Francois's Citizenship Application

Summary: New Francois lost citizenship on 9 September 2020 due to failing to maintain a nation within TNP. They reapplied for citizenship on 20 September 2020; this application was rejected by Vice Delegate Dreadton. The Regional Assembly must determine whether to uphold this rejection.

Appointment of Gorundu as Prosecutor for "The North Pacific v. New Francois"

Summary: Delegate TlomzKrano appointed Gorundu as Prosecutor for the court case "The North Pacific v. New Francois" on 21 September 2020 after some concerns were raised regarding a prior appointee. The appointment of Gorundu is currently being discussed.

On Hold

Appointment of Chewie as Prosecutor for "The North Pacific v. New Francois"

Summary: Then-Delegate Prydania appointed Chewie as Prosecutor for the court case "The North Pacific v. New Francois" on 11 September 2020. The matter was successfully motioned to be voted upon, but received enough objections to cancel the scheduled vote. Another Prosecutor was subsequently appointed by Delegate TlomzKrano.

Passed - Legislative

The legislative proposals that have passed through the Regional Assembly in the months of August and September thus far are the Government Officials Achieving Transparency Act and the North Pacific Security Council Disclosure Act.

-~-

The Government Officials Achieving Transparency Act* by Praetor

Summary: In an effort to increase the transparency and accountability of the region's Security Council, Praetor brought the aforementioned proposed piece of legislation before the Regional Assembly in early July. The bill sought to make the Security Council subject to FOIA (Freedom of Information Act), thereby allowing redacted private Security Council records to be made public upon resident request. The bill passed the Regional Assembly by majority vote, after which it was vetoed by the Delegate.

Results: 32 Ayes | 14 Nays | 5 Abstentions

*Vetoed by then-Delegate Prydania after passing

North Pacific Security Council Disclosure Act by Oracle

Summary: In response to the veto of The Government Officials Achieving Transparency act, Oracle brought their proposed legislation before the Regional Assembly in mid-August in an attempt to address the subject of Security Council transparency in a modified manner. The most important of these modifications included provisions dealing with private records that existed prior to the bill's taking effect and methods of validation through the Court. The bill passed the Regional Assembly by majority vote.

Results:  19 Ayes | 6 Nays | 9 Abstentions

Passed - Non Legislative

The non-legislative proposals that passed the Regional Assembly in the months of August and September as of yet are the Confirmation of Fregerson as Election Commissioner, the Confirmation of Vivanco as Prosecutor in "The North Pacific v. Ihese", the Confirmation of Cretox State and BMWSurfer to the Election Commission, and Former English Colony's Security Council Application.

-~-

Confirmation of Fregerson as Election Commissioner

Summary: Fregerson was nominated to the Election Commission by then-Delegate Prydania on 11 August 2020, as Fregerson's term on the Commission was expiring. The nomination was soon motioned to a vote, and passed the Regional Assembly by majority vote on 25 August 2020.

Results: 36 Ayes | 0 Nays | 6 Abstentions

Confirmation of Vivanco as Prosecutor in "The North Pacific v. Ihese"

Summary: Vivanco was nominated by then-Delegate Prydania to serve as Prosecutor for the aforementioned Court case. After a period of debate, the nomination was brought to a vote on 3 September 2020. The nomination was confirmed by the Regional Assembly by majority vote.

Results: 30 Ayes | 1 Nay | 12 Abstentions

Confirmation of BMWSurfer and Cretox State as Election Commissioners

Summary: BMWSurfer and Cretox State were nominated by then-Delegate Prydania in early September to serve on the Election Commission. Shortly thereafter, the matter was brought to the Regional Assembly, where both nominations passed by majority vote.

Results:
    BMWSurfer:
    35 Ayes | 0 Nays | 4 Abstentions
    Cretox State: 38 Ayes | 0 Nays | 2 Abstentions

Former English Colony's Security Council Application

Summary: In mid-September, the region's Security Council nominated Former English Colony, one of the oldest and most notable members of TNP, for a seat on the Security Council by unanimous vote. The matter was motioned for a vote of the Regional Assembly, where it passed by majority vote.

Results: 40 Ayes | 0 Nays | 8 Abstentions

Failed

Ease of Prosecution Act by Comfed

The only proposal that failed the Regional Assembly in the last two months is the Ease of Prosecution Act (legislative). Introduced in mid-July, the bill aimed to provide for the appointment of a new Prosecutor in Court cases where the sitting Prosecutor discontinues the case. The proposal barely failed to reach majority support.

Results: 12 Ayes | 13 Nays | 6 Abstentions

[SIZE=150] News - ADITO 2[/size]
    by Arichia, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs
    A Drop In The Ocean 2 was a celebration, hosted by The North Pacific and The South Pacific, celebrating TNP and TSP as allies and Pacifics. The festival followed A Drop In The Ocean 1, which happened in 2017. The celebration had places to learn, role-play, have fun. The celebration was planned by TNP’s Minister of Culture, Syrixia, TNP’s Cards Guildmaster, Praetor, as well as the rest of TNP’s Ministry of Culture. A Drop In The Ocean 2 began on 2 August 2020 and ended on 9 August 2020.

TNP Delegate, Prydania began with an Opening Statement on the celebration. Beforehand, a Celebration Pavilion was made in TNP’s forum, for the part of the celebration that was on the forum. A Discord server for the festival was also released.

TNP’s forums contained the Celebration Pavilion. There, three social deduction games were put up, Mafia, Detectives, and Assassin In The Palace, hosted by Praetor. However, Detectives ended early, due to discussion on the game happening on the Discord server. Seraph also brought over the “Cake vs Pie” thread from TSP. The Celebration Pavilion also had the central thread for the Art and Writing Contests. There were two prompts during the celebration, “Describe What You Think The Best Quality Of Your Region Is”, and “Describe What You Hope For The Future of TNP-TSP Relations”. The role-play part of The Celebration Pavilion contained the World Exposition, as well as the International Conference.

The Discord server of ADITO 2 had several channels, including The Mess Hall, and channels for some of the activities on the forum. The Mess Hall was a place for spam and memery. It also contained a trivia and a battle game for everyone to enjoy. The server also had a voice channel, the Aquarium, for lectures and AMAs (Ask Me Anything) from figures from both regions. Morover, Rom, Pallaith, Nimarya, Phoenix, Jay, Gorundu, Dreadton, Seraph, Syrixia, Nakari, and Prydania all did AMAs. Highton, Praetor, Omega, Phoenix did lectures on Sports, Cards, Podcasting, and Character RP, respectively. Nimarya touched on how the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Home Affairs rely on each other. Rom explained how they wanted to expand the NPA's piling force. Pallaith also talked about The World Factbook Project. Many other subjects were brought up as well. The transcripts were posted in the Celebration Pavilion, under the Lecture Transcripts thread. The recordings were posted on NBS.

As A Drop In The Ocean 2 concluded, El Fiji Grande was named as the winner of the Art Contest and was awarded a medal. Syrixia gave their Closing Statements on the festival, stating that “Our friendship has been and continues to be stronger and deeper than any of the great oceans on which we sail. May it remain so in perpetuity!” Following the end of A Drop In The Ocean 2, the Celebration Pavilion was locked and moved to the Archives.

[SIZE=14] The Spotlight - Interview With Nimarya[/size]
    by Arichia, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs
    Arichia: So, I would like to start from the beginning, how did you first get started in NationStates?

Nimarya: Well, my brother actually found the website and showed it to me a little over two years ago. I made a nation and spent most of the following two years just lurking, answering issues, and spying on the forum. Eventually, my old nation CTE'd, so when I decided to return to NationStates I made a new nation under the name "Nimarya" which just so happened to spawn in TNP. Then, I was inexplicably drawn into the activities of this region and the rest is history.

Arichia: TNP has many activities for many people. What activities did you first get yourself involved in?

Nimarya: Home Affairs and the North Pacific Army were the two big things. I joined Home Affairs not long before Bluie resigned from the position of Minister of Home Affairs, and when Rocketdog stepped up as Minister he choose to give me a chance as Deputy. I think I can point back to that singular decision on his part as the one thing that's most defined my path in TNP, because when I was brought in as a Deputy I was given the chance to learn administration, to establish myself in the region, and was set on the course that would lead to me one day taking over as Minister of Home Affairs.

The NPA has also been one of my absolute favorite things about this region. Rom in particular was amazing and taught me R/D personally, and now I can say I'm an officer in the NPA thanks to his guidance. It's fun, it's engaging, and I love the friends I've made there. Working with the NPA is also a great opportunity to make friends outside of the North Pacific as you compete with other R/D players in NS.

Arichia: From what you've said about your time here, it looks like you've really enjoyed Home Affairs and NPA! I would also like to hear about what you think is the most enjoyable part of being the Minister of Home Affairs.

Nimarya: The most enjoyable aspect of being Minister of Home Affairs, for me at least, is harnessing the ideas and passion of the people who work with me. I like how we're all a team who wants to reach out to new players and help them become part of the region, and I think that passion and sense of community we share is crucial to the life and productivity of Home Affairs. It makes me very happy to see my staff have fun and engage with others, and that's been one of my most driving motivations as I work to continuously improve the Ministry.

Arichia: Before yourself, many people have held the position of the Minister of Home Affairs. As you are in that same position, who do you look up to, and what do you admire about them?

Nimarya: Well, I haven't worked under that many other Ministers in Home Affairs- only Bluie, very briefly, and Rocketdog. I have, however, also become friends with BMWSurfer who was a MoHA long before I joined TNP. I would say I respect each of them for different things. I admire BMW greatly for the advice he has given me throughout this term, as well as his genius creation of Home Affair's latest roster. I respect Bluie for being a solid and dependable worker and advisor who has stepped up to the plate multiple times this last term. I also admire the work he did with polls during his last term, an idea which, if I'm ever again able to work as MoHA, I intend to blatantly copy. Lastly, I respect Rocketdog for his example in delegating certain work to his deputies during his term as Minister, instead of trying to do everything himself. In that way I've chosen to follow in his footsteps by delegating work and trusting my deputies to help shoulder the work of Home Affairs, a tactic which I believe has led to better results all around.

Arichia: I see that you value hard work and determination. What are some difficult challenges that you have gone through during your time working in Home Affairs, or TNP government in general?

Nimarya: Two main challenges come to mind, I think. The first would be a more general challenge that just comes with gaining a leadership position. It can be hard establishing goals, schedules, and then of course figuring out step by step what exactly needs to happen and then how to make it happen. I think that's just gotten easier with experience as I've worked throughout the term. I've had to postpone different projects and I've had to accept that some things I would like to do just aren't feasible or important enough for the moment, which can be a hard pill to swallow sometimes. But I would like to say I'm learning, and getting better at management in general, and I am happy with the things we've been able to accomplish this term.

The other challenge would be handling situations with staff that aren't really doing what they're supposed to. This term we've had situations where people were claiming things out of order, or fighting over rows, and dealing with that hasn't been easy, but I think the key to solving or at least mitigating those problems has been just to talk to people, and work out what needs to change.

Arichia: Those are hard problems, but, of course, problems arise all the time, and we accomplish things too. Under your leadership, what do you believe is Home Affairs' greatest accomplishment?

Nimarya: That's a very tough question to answer. We have the new Log and Data Viewer system, which I believe to be revolutionary, and we've also recently introduced a cards reward program that I think will also go very far and might potentially serve as an inspiration for other cards programs. However, at the end of the day I think the most important thing Home Affairs has gained is a solid system of operations. We now have methods and routine for each of the main processes of Home Affairs, from distributing Home Office work in a rotational schedule, to guides for accepting and training new staff, to templates and procedures for mentoring, and more. At the beginning of my term, I said I wanted to do many small things to make Home Affairs easier to run and easier to work in. I think I can say I've succeeded at that.

Arichia: To my knowledge, much of the work you put into is for Home Affairs and the NPA. Are you part of other ministries, The Regional Assembly, or in any other places?

Nimarya: Well, as a citizen and Minister I'm definitely part of the Regional Assembly! I haven't been involved in drafting legislation, but that could change one day. Truth be told most of my focus and efforts have been on the NPA and HA, especially the past few months. However, I am part of Culture as well and have assisted with graphic design this term, and I'm also technically part of the Cards Guild, although that's mostly because Praetor hasn't kicked me out yet, and I want to become more involved with that in the future.

Arichia: And to finish, once your time as Minister is over, what do you plan to do, and would you consider doing anything more?

Nimarya: Well, when I'm done as Minister of Home Affairs, I'm probably going to turn my attention to trying out different areas of the game and region that I haven't explored much yet, namely Foreign Affairs and possibly World Assembly Affairs. I'll also consider running for office one of these days. That's not to say I intend to abandon Home Affairs or the NPA- on the contrary, I doubt I could ever leave them, but I probably will step back from leadership for at least a term in the future, just to recharge and figure out what it is I want to be doing.

Arichia: Those are all the questions I have. I really appreciate your time and answers! Thanks for the opportunity to interview you!

[SIZE=150] News - August 2020 Special Election[/size]
    by Comfed, Deputy Speaker
    After Lady Raven wing lost her justice position for not posting on the forum for 14 days, she lost her position as justice and a special election was called.

Candidates:
    Yalkan
    Vivanco
    Eluvatar

Yalkan
    Yalkan declared his candidacy in the candidacy declarations thread. He did not post a campaign thread.
    Yalkan received 16.67% of the vote and was not elected.

Vivanco
    Vivanco accepted a nomination from Praetor. He posted a campaign thread, and based it on his election to the now abolished post of Attorney General, and stated that he had enough experience to understand and interpret the law.
    Vivanco received 28.12% of the vote and was not elected.

Eluvatar
    Eluvatar accepted a nomination from Robespierre. He posted a campaign thread, and ran on the basis of his experience as a previous justice. He also included a FAQ in his thread.
    Eluvatar received 55.13% of the vote and was elected.

Mall also ran, but since he already had a justice seat his candidacy was null. He posted a campaign thread only, which was entitled "Mall4Court 2: Thanks Election Commission". The election was run differently due to the"Lessening Repeating Work" bill recently passed by Praetor resulting in a vote system similar to Single Transferable Vote (STV).

[SIZE=14] News - September 2020 Special Justice Election[/size]
    by Owenstacy, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
    Due to losing citizenship, Eluvatar abandoned their position as justice, which resulted in a second Special Justice Election of the term being called. The election saw two candidates run, both of whom had experience in the judicial branch: Vivanco and Saintpeter.

Vivanco
    Vivanco, a former Attorney General and running for the fourth time, ran on a platform of ‘truth, honesty, and justice’. Citing the importance of stability in the court, and the fact that this was the third judicial election of the term, he promised that he would not abandon his office.

Vivanco received 85.71% of the vote and was elected.

Saintpeter
    Saintpeter, running for justice for the second time this term, also pledged that they would not abandon office this term if elected. Apart from this, they ran on the same platform as they did in their last candidacy. This consisted of the clear implementation of judicial philosophy into the workings of the court and the court self-regulating its power. As well as this, Saintpeter proposed implementing a trial of law clerks to give people experience working in this branch.

Saintpeter received 14.29% of the vote and was not elected.

[SIZE=150] World Assembly Digest[/size]
    by BMWSurfer, Minister of Communications
    Protecting Legal Rights Of Workers
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5424 Against: 1105
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 555 Against: 55 with percentage of WA nations voting: 38
    Delegate's Vote (TNP): For
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 100 Against: 17 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29
    Delegate's Vote (Balder): For
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 144 Against: 10 with percentage of WA nations voting: 34
    Delegate's Vote (Europe): For
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 112 Against: 14 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28
    Delegate's Vote (Europeia): For

Integrity In Law Enforcement
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4978 Against: 1421
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 519 Against: 67 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 104 Against: 15 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 144 Against: 21 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 118 Against: 16 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30

Recommendation:

A proposal designed to lay the groundwork for police accountability in all member nations, "Integrity in Law Enforcement" effectively legislates in pursuit of its goal by mandating the disclosure of law enforcement records relating to investigations into and incidents of alleged wrongdoing by police, such as sexual assault and excessive use of force. The proposal strikes a good balance between facilitating transparency and providing for a necessary level of confidentiality, by allowing the redaction of records in order to protect personal information and preserve national security, as well as other reasons. Additionally, the legislation explicitly allows for national and World Assembly law to increase the scope of transparency regarding law enforcement records, and the public's access to such.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Integrity in Law Enforcement."
    Repeal Wartime Journalism Protection Act
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4398 Against: 1790
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 515 Against: 69 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 72 Against: 32 with percentage of WA nations voting: 25
    Delegate's Vote (Balder): Against
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 135 Against: 30 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 28 Against: 96 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29
    Delegate's Vote (Europeia): Against

Recommendation:

A well-written proposal, "Repeal: Wartime Journalism Protection Act" helps illuminate multiple glaring flaws in the target resolution. There are several loopholes in the resolution which include granting member-states the ability to expel reporters from scenes where chemical and biological weapons are being used on the grounds that it would put the journalist in danger, the ability to cover up crimes against humanity on the grounds that it would jeopardize its military efforts, and the ability to expel journalists carrying objects on the grounds that they are weapons, especially considering that target does not define a weapon. While these are not all the issues with the target, it very quickly becomes apparent that this repeal is necessary.

For these reasons, The North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote for the at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Repeal: Wartime Journalism Protection Act".
    Public Access To Court Records
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5410 Against: 932
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 542 Against: 43 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 105 Against: 12 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 155 Against: 9 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 112 Against: 9 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29

Recommendation:

A solidly constructed proposal legislating on an important subject, "Public Access to Court Records" sets out to achieve one goal: to ensure public access to judicial records for the purposes of facilitating more effective oversight of national court systems. The proposal effectively fulfills this objective by mandating that court documents be provided to the public free of charge and in an easily accessible manner, while crucially allowing for redaction or sealing where it serves the public interest. Additionally, the proposal in question requires that all documents it pertains to be deposited with the Universal Library Coalition where reasonable.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the General Assembly proposal, "Public Access to Court Records".
    Repeal Promotion Of Recycling
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4751 Against: 1404
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 493 Against: 72 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 93 Against: 19 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 143 Against: 23 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 90 Against: 29 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28

Recommendation:

A sensible repeal of quite a flawed resolution, "Repeal: 'Promotion of Recycling'" makes an effective case for why its target should be stricken from the body of international law. Chief among its arguments are the general incoherency of the target, holes in its wording, and careless oversights in matters such as the upgrading of existing recycling systems and the transshipment of viable waste materials for the purposes of recycling. With a superior replacement rapidly approaching the point of readiness for submission, we see little reason to oppose this proposal.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Repeal: 'Promotion of Recycling'".
    Restrictions On Forced Eugenics
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5012 Against: 1409
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 529 Against: 75 with percentage of WA nations voting: 38
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 89 Against: 17 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 153 Against: 21 with percentage of WA nations voting: 38
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 106 Against: 15 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30

Recommendation:

The at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Restrictions on Forced Eugenics", is a concise and eloquent piece of legislation that protects the right of individuals to not be subject to genetic modification under the orders of any government. The proposal guarantees that governments cannot encourage the genetic modification of any person prior to birth for any reason other than to address bodily disorders and diseases. This proposal is an important step towards fully protecting bodily autonomy for all peoples of the World Assembly.

For these reasons, the North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Restrictions on Forced Eugenics."
    Gmo International Trade Accord
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4730 Against: 1380
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 518 Against: 52 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 77 Against: 14 with percentage of WA nations voting: 23
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 91 Against: 66 with percentage of WA nations voting: 34
    Delegate's Vote (Europe): Against
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 103 Against: 11 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28

Recommendation:

The General Assembly proposal "GMO International Trade Accord" effectively legislates on several key areas concerning the transboundary movement and use of genetically modified organisms, with the goal of mitigating potential negative externalities of the use of GMOs. The proposal achieves this goal by targeting three points: the decision to import GMOs for agricultural or other use, the safe utilization of GMOs once they are within a member nation, and the sterilization of plant GMO seeds in order to prevent genetic contamination of nearby plants, which could result in consequences such as superbugs and herbicide-resistant weeds.

The first point is fulfilled by the creation of a committee, which provides guidance on environmental risk assessment of GMOs and their international trade. The proposal mandates that decisions on the import of GMOs are based on scientific environmental risk assessments, and that member nations take measures to prevent the release of GMOs or their genetic material where unintended or for malicious purposes. Perhaps the most important role of this proposal is to ensure that member nations have control over the sterilization of plant GMOs, so long as sterilized plant GMOs may be used where it is of net environmental benefit.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "GMO International Trade Accord".
    Land Reclamation Regulation
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 3626 Against: 2709
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 171 Against: 396 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Delegate's Vote (TNP): Against
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 56 Against: 35 with percentage of WA nations voting: 23
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 92 Against: 81 with percentage of WA nations voting: 38
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 56 Against: 55 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27

Recommendation:

The at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Land Reclamation Regulation," attempts to serve the noble cause of minimizing environmental damage that may occur through land reclamation (creating new land out of a body of water). Unfortunately, the method in which it does this is peculiar at best and ineffective at worst. By placing the responsibility of impact studies under a committee that will monitor all cases of land reclamation occurring in member-states, it creates an undue burden on the World Assembly when it could just as easily be handled by each individual nation. Additionally, clause two is worded in such a way that these impact studies may simply be required to be done on land reclamation as a whole, as opposed to each individual project that involved land reclamation - which is a fairly unhelpful task and makes the crux of the resolution pointless. Clause one is also worded perhaps a little too strongly, without having any reasonable limits set on what the "minimal" amount of environmental damage would be. While this issue likely deserves being legislated on, this proposal is too heavy-handed to be the legislation that covers it.

For these reasons, the North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Land Reclamation Regulation."
    Marine Protection Act
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4887 Against: 1155
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 528 Against: 48 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 85 Against: 14 with percentage of WA nations voting: 25
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 107 Against: 53 with percentage of WA nations voting: 34
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 105 Against: 9 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28

Recommendation:

The at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Marine Protection Act," is a well-written proposal that tackles the somewhat nuanced problem of international maritime pollution. While this problem would ordinarily be complex to directly legislate on member-nations, this proposal eases that burden by setting up a World Assembly Committee in order to identify the problem and put proper regulations in place that should minimize the damage done to areas of profound biodiversity or cultural significance. This is a significant environmental issue which the proposal has tackled well, and its passage will be of benefit to the World Assembly and environmental health.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote for the at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Marine Protection Act."
    Ensuring Effectual Recycling
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5334 Against: 996
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 521 Against: 49 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 92 Against: 17 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 155 Against: 17 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 99 Against: 10 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27

Recommendation:

The at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Ensuring Effectual Recycling," is a well-written proposal that obligates member-states to expand their recycling infrastructure and programmes. This proposal also incentivizes research done in the subject-area of recycling, which should ultimately make the process more efficient and effective in the long-term. This proposal is a direct replacement of GAR#483, "Promotion of Recycling", covering up an area of legislation that was left vacant following the repeal of which. As such, it is a worthy cause and an adequate proposal in the subject.

For these reasons, the World Assembly recommends a vote for the at-vote proposal in the General Assembly, "Ensuring Effectual Recycling."
    Repeal Supporting And Valuing The Humanities
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 1725 Against: 4277
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 116 Against: 430 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 20 Against: 78 with percentage of WA nations voting: 25
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 85 Against: 71 with percentage of WA nations voting: 33
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 29 Against: 63 with percentage of WA nations voting: 23

Recommendation:

"Repeal: 'Supporting and Valuing the Humanities'" seeks to strike out its target resolution on the basis of poor management of the World Assembly General Fund pursuant to the implementation of its mandates. The specific concerns presented are twofold: they include the resolution not placing strict enough limitations on the acquisition or use of WA funds, potentially permitting member nations to acquire funding they don't need to use on wasteful programs of no practical benefit; and the resolution's wording arguably requiring all funding to be ceased after receiving any mere report of improper use of funding, potentially stripping member nations of all WA funds due to frivolous reports. Additionally, the presence of other extant resolutions dealing with education means that the negative consequences of repealing the target will not be too severe.

However, these arguments are the subject of a not insignificant level of controversy. Opponents of this repeal argue that the resolution does not, in fact, mandate that all funds be ceased due to any reports, as the intended meaning of "funds" is clear in the context of the legislation. Additionally, the resolution does not actually lay out a concrete process for the submission of reports of improper use of funding, nor does it explicitly authorize the filing of reports. Further, this is inherently a technicality-based repeal, and the absence of any planned replacement does this attempt no favors.

We feel that this is a unique case in which we cannot readily offer a concrete recommendation in one direction or another. For this reason, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs issues no recommendation on which way to vote on the General Assembly proposal "Repeal: 'Supporting and Valuing the Humanities'", and instead urges individual nations to make an informed decision on the matter with the above points in mind.
    Commercial Arbitration Recognition
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4577 Against: 1343
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 526 Against: 36 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 88 Against: 15 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 144 Against: 28 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 96 Against: 7 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26

Recommendation:

Disputes arising from commercial agreements between firms are inherently different from disputes between individual persons, due to the former's greater emphasis on neutrality, discretion, flexibility, and finality of judgement as a result of these disputes often occurring between actors in similar bargaining positions engaging in mutually beneficial dealings. Arbitration is an attractive and efficient form of alternate resolution of these disputes, due to its ability to provide a greater level of neutrality, flexibility, and discretion than national court systems. "Commercial Arbitration Recognition" seeks to provide for the enforcement of arbitration agreements and arbitral awards as pertaining to international commercial agreements, with certain exceptions. Seeing as the resolution's scope is limited to these types of agreements, and arbitration in these situations is quite beneficial and by definition mutually agreed upon, we see little reason to oppose this proposal.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Commercial Arbitration Recognition".
    Pedagogical Freedom
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 1250 Against: 5012
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 67 Against: 482 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 14 Against: 94 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 21 Against: 144 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 9 Against: 90 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26

Recommendation:

A fairly benign proposal at first glance, "Pedagogical Freedom" aims to establish a balancing test with regards to the freedom of parents and legal guardians to interfere in the education of their children. However, this is where the problems begin. The proposal attempts to insert a supposed right of parents "to direct and guarantee, with regard to their sincerely-held moral beliefs, the education of their children" into its balancing test that all member nations must abide by. This is inherently problematic, firstly because it is not, and should not be, the role of parents to "direct and guarantee" their children's education in accordance with said parents' "moral beliefs," and secondly because nothing currently prevents parents from engaging with their children on educational topics outside of the classroom. This balancing test, which forms the crux of the proposal, is unnecessary at best and starkly contrary to the purpose of education at worst.

Furthermore, the proposal implicitly places the burden on member nations to demonstrate that families within their jurisdictions are not complying with the mandates of the proposal, thereby placing an unnecessary burden on the Independent Adjudicative Office by forcing it to make judgement as to whether individual children's education is compliant with the proposal's balancing test in a context where what is "adequate and appropriate" for one child is wholly inadequate or inappropriate for another. Due to this proposal's attempted inclusion of parents' morality into its primary (and only) mandate, and its efforts to address an issue that does not really exist as the proposal makes it out to, we see little reason to support it in its current form.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting Against the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Pedagogical Freedom".
    Sovereign Justice Accord
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4831 Against: 1138
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 514 Against: 50 with percentage of WA nations voting: 37
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 86 Against: 18 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 140 Against: 22 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 96 Against: 9 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27

Recommendation:

Lawsuits between states and foreign legal persons have proven to be a particularly pernicious issue to diplomatic relations. The suit can happen in the courts of the nation, giving rise to a conflict of interest. Alternatively, the lawsuit may be filed in the foreign person's native courts, forcing one state to haul another into their courts. Both options are flawed. Furthermore, this opens up avenues for retaliatory and abusive suits between members, damaging the international system. "Sovereign Justice Accord" tactfully addresses this issue by redirecting such lawsuits to a neutral, well-regulated international court system. Given the importance of fairness and justice, there is scarce reason to oppose this proposal.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Sovereign Justice Accord".
    Ending School Segregation
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5679 Against: 841
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 530 Against: 38 with percentage of WA nations voting: 38
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 100 Against: 16 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 161 Against: 21 with percentage of WA nations voting: 39
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 107 Against: 6 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30

Recommendation:

A proposal legislating on broader education quality as much as segregation, "Ending School Segregation" aims to ensure that all students in member nations have equal opportunities to attain a pluralistic and social education. The proposal accomplishes this by declaring all children as generally possessing this right, prohibiting segregation and self-segregation of students by protected classes, mandating that educational services not under nations' direct control not be worse in quality than those that are, and including a provision against mistreatment of students. This proposal is poised to make an excellent addition to the existing roster of education-based resolutions, and there is little reason to oppose it.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Ending School Segregation".
    Commend Trotterdam
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 5014 Against: 809
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 531 Against: 35 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 86 Against: 16 with percentage of WA nations voting: 25
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 115 Against: 20 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 114 Against: 5 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26

Recommendation:

Trotterdam is a well respected member of the Got Issues community for a plethora of reasons. First of all, Trotterdam has left useful feedback on hundreds of issue drafts over the years, enabling aspiring authors to produce high quality drafts that eventually end up in the game for players to answer. Additionally, Trotterdam has made significant strides in the general public's understanding of issue features that may not always be obvious, such as validities, macros, and issue chain sequences through posts on the various stickied megathreads in GI. Just as impressive is the creation of a database documenting more than 5000 issue effect lines, stat effects for each option, and a plethora of policy information. Ultimately, "Commend Trotterdam" does an excellent job of laying out these contributions and more in a comprehensible manner.

For these reasons, the North Pacific World Assembly Ministry recommends a vote for the at-vote Security Council proposal, "Commend Trotterdam".
    Commend Nuremgard
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 3683 Against: 1914
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 493 Against: 72 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 67 Against: 32 with percentage of WA nations voting: 24
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 78 Against: 57 with percentage of WA nations voting: 29
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 102 Against: 17 with percentage of WA nations voting: 27

Recommendation:

"Commend Nuremgard" is an unusual proposal compared to the recently passed "Commend Frieden-und Freudenland" and "Commend Trotterdam," due to its focus on pure issue writing rather than other issues-related and regional development work. Nuremgard, the nation in question, has had eighteen high-quality issues written by them make it into the game for all nations to answer. Nuremgard is a unique target due to their lack of forum drafting for their issues, and their lack of a well-known online presence. Nevertheless, they are a highly skilled, dedicated, and underappreciated author who deserves to be recognized for their work in developing the game's community through issues authoring.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote Security Council proposal, "Commend Nuremgard."
    Commend Wallenburg
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4199 Against: 1323
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 485 Against: 66 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 71 Against: 21 with percentage of WA nations voting: 22
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 110 Against: 30 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 81 Against: 26 with percentage of WA nations voting: 25

Recommendation:

"Commend Wallenburg" is a commendation of one of the most well-versed General Assembly players, which they have authored nine distinct resolutions for. They are an incredibly well-respected voice within the community, and have helped countless drafts there. They also have served as The East Pacific's Chief Minister of World Assembly Affairs for approximately a year and a half to this day. The proposal touches on several other aspects of Wallenburg's good deeds, including their time spent in The Conclave (regional court) of The East Pacific, as well as multiple positive facets of their roleplay.

For these reasons, The North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote for the at-vote proposal in the Security Council, "Commend Wallenburg".
    Condemn Noahs Second Country
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4259 Against: 1268
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 473 Against: 78 with percentage of WA nations voting: 35
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 74 Against: 22 with percentage of WA nations voting: 23
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 117 Against: 26 with percentage of WA nations voting: 31
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 86 Against: 32 with percentage of WA nations voting: 28

Recommendation:

The at-vote proposal, "Condemn Noahs Second Country", is a very well-written proposal that goes lengths and bounds to uncover the treachery committed by the target in the cards game. Noah, as they are oftentimes called, is easily within the ranks of the Card Elite, and have readily abused multiple facets of the game in order to further their own collection. Noah employs what is considered by many to be "scummy tactics", including exploitations that were so overpowered that they have since been changed considerably, meaning that it is now near-impossible to nations to replicate some of the tactics that have led to Noah's immense wealth. They have contributed a lot to the cards community, and deserve recognition for that - and the various ways that the nation has contributed to the game lend themselves well towards condemnation. Even beyond cards, however, Noah is a prolific Issues author and up-and-coming Security Council author, both of which are also touched on in this proposal.

For these reasons, the North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote for the at-vote proposal in the Security Council, "Condemn Noahs Second Country".
    Commend Valanora
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 4511 Against: 1175
    Final Vote (TNP): For: 511 Against: 53 with percentage of WA nations voting: 36
    Final Vote (Balder): For: 75 Against: 16 with percentage of WA nations voting: 23
    Final Vote (Europe): For: 117 Against: 22 with percentage of WA nations voting: 30
    Final Vote (Europeia): For: 98 Against: 9 with percentage of WA nations voting: 26

Recommendation:

"Commend Valanora" makes a convincing case for the commendation of a prolific contributor to the NationStates Sports community. The target, Valanora, has both held and ranked a number of tournaments- one of the most unforgiving and unrecognized jobs within NS Sports. They have also accomplished a vast range of athletic victories, such as being the "best football team ever in NationStates history." While these accomplishments alone are likely enough to merit commendation, they barely scratch the surface of the target's true contributions to the game's community. NS Sports is not often recognized by the World Assembly, but this proposal makes a strong and compelling case to do so.

For these reasons, the North Pacific Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote Security Council proposal, "Commend Valanora."
    Repeal Commend Evil Wolf
    Spoiler
    Final Vote (World): For: 1714 Against: 4044
    Final Vote (TNP)
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • World Assembly Accelerator Program Announcement

Hello neighbors! The North Pacific is proud to announce the launch of the World Assembly Accelerator Program. Any World Assembly author can post their complete or nearly complete drafts for review and drafting assistance from the TNP Ministry of WA Affairs. When you’re ready to submit your proposal, it will be evaluated for sponsorship by the Ministry. Should it be accepted for sponsorship, your proposal will have the backing of TNP and access to extensive lobbying opportunities. You do not have to be a citizen of TNP or a WA resident to apply. For more information on this unique opportunity, please review this thread: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9193071/
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • [h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h]
    [/center][/I]
    [/I]
    [h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h]
    [/center]
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • The Spotlight - Interview With Gorundu
    by Arichia, Deputy Minister of Communications
    Arichia: Alright! I'll get started now, When and how did you get started in TNP?

Gorundu: I joined TNP in May 2019, about 10 months after I started playing NationStates. I was the WA Delegate of a region of 30-ish WA nations at the time, but some people in the region were opposed to my agenda, and I felt I wouldn't be able to do what I wanted even in that position. So I decided to try my luck in the biggest region in the game, TNP. (My feelings turned out to be right and I ended up getting banned by the founder within 2 months) When I joined TNP I applied for every ministry except for Culture, and that was how I got started.

Arichia: Wow! You have an eventful past before TNP. Have you ever been involved in the NPA or any other military organization?

Gorundu: After I left my previous region, I decided to devote my WA to the NPA, and I've been in the NPA ever since. Currently I'm an Officer and a Deputy Minister of Defence.

Arichia: What are some accomplishments you or you helped achieve during your time in TNP?

Gorundu: In my previous roles as Speaker and Minister of World Assembly Affairs, I mostly continued to execute the existing duties of those offices, which was no easy task considering that in both roles I succeeded a relatively long-serving and popular holder of those offices, though I wouldn't consider these accomplishments. I'd like to think that as Minister of Communications I made some progress in reviving a struggling ministry by recruiting new members and managed to restart the publication of The Northern Lights, which probably counts the most in terms of my accomplishments.

Arichia: From what I see you've done a lot in TNP. Who do you consider a mentor throughout your time in TNP?

Gorundu: I would say McMasterdonia and Tlomz (Kranostav) have been most like a mentor for me. McMasterdonia offered me my first position in government (a short tenure as a Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs) and was supportive of my run for Speaker. He also offered me my first cabinet position as Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and was very helpful in getting me settled into the position as the head of one of the most active ministries in the government. Tlomz was my predecessor as Minister of World Assembly Affairs and I served under him as Deputy Minister, during he helped me get a better understanding of the World Assembly and TNP's WA relationships, which enabled me to become his successor.

Arichia: What do you believe is TNP's best quality?

Gorundu: I would say the best quality that is unique to TNP is the depth and breadth of the discussions and debates in the Regional Assembly and in relation to the government. It points towards a citizenry that is committed to making TNP better in any way possible, but are unafraid to raise their own ideas or offer criticism for what isn't being done well. Another quality of TNP that I admire is that we are a pioneer in so many fields - for example, in the WA and in Trading Cards - and we have so many people dedicated to the success of these pioneering programs.

Arichia: I believe you had said before that you had run for speaker and you had been speaker as well. From your experiences then, would you run for speaker, or perhaps a different office in the future?

Gorundu: I don't see myself running for Speaker again for the near future. Serving as Speaker was an enlightening experience and taught me much about what people expect from a government official, but for now I'd like to focus on what I can do in the executive.

Arichia: And to finally close, would you take on more in the executive, or would you stay with what you are working on now?

Gorundu: I've been busy in real life recently, so I haven't taken on too much responsibility this term. I'm glad to have the opportunity to get involved in the NPA a little bit more as Deputy Minister of Defence, and I have continued advising the Ministry of Communications after departing as Minister. If I feel ready to take on more responsibilities, I will of course look for new opportunities.

Arichia: I believe those are all of my questions. I really appreciate all your time and answers here, and thanks again for the opportunity to interview you!
    [h][/h]
    North Pacific Army Bulletin
    by Jan Mackistan, Reporter for The Northern Star

NPA and Libcord forces in the midst of liberating Smol Fur Empire

Promotions
    Private Healiopolis was promoted to Private First Class
    September ended with a bang (quite literally) as nuclear warfare consumed NationStates - including the NPA - for a brief but action-packed 24 hours. Soldiers put their puppets to good use as nuclear production machines, aiding the Potato Alliance in a hard-earned victory. Our generals helped all of us get on the Big Board, pushing the Horsemen to our former spot of last, and pushed us up to second place. As the quote goes, “I didn’t know doors opened up down there!” Our warriors collaborated with soldiers from a multitude of regions, including some of our closest allies, such as the Rejected Realms, the South Pacific and Europe, to take the horses down. Colonel Robespierre and General 9003 represented us as Potato Generals for N-Day, keeping all of the Potato Alliance in one piece. Sure, we were hit multiple times, but we were lifted from last all the way up to 2nd place. That is certainly a Cinderella story if I’ve ever heard one (which I haven’t). We completed the impossible task that no other faction could do.

After cleaning up the fallout, it was right back to work for our uniformed servicemen. If they weren’t saving The North Pacific from nukes they were helping out other regions in need, whether they requested or not :P

For ten straight days in early October, the North Pacific Army, along with friends and allies from Libcord, laid siege to Smol Fur Empire, which had been occupied by raider forces, presumably for the purpose of refounding as a jump point for later use. In total, 13 NPA soldiers joined the updater force at some point during the ten-day siege, contributing to one of the highest liberation forces ever, numbering over 100 towards the end. It makes me smile when support goes to those who need it. We certainly have generous men and women among our armed services, at least when they are kind and cute.

When not taking part in high-stakes confrontations, NPA Officers, including COL BMWSurfer, COL Rom, COL Gorundu and CPT Nimarya, continued to lead training operations in the form of tag and detag runs, attracting seasoned officers and new soldiers alike to hone their skills.

Finally, the NPA joined our friends in the South Pacific Special Forces and East Pacific Sovereign Army on October 11 for a special detag operation combined with chasing practice, where lots of fun were had as NPA soldiers work on a skill that has been seldom used recently while Phoenix from SPSF brings out her favourite R/D playlist for all to enjoy.

Aaaaand that’s it for the bulletin this month. It may not have been the most eventful month in the books, but no matter the stakes, our soldiers are always there, ready to give it their best. Now, I sure hope you all had a good Halloween and are looking forward to the rest of the holidays to come. Stay strong, TNPers!

[h][/h]
    Regional Assembly Highlights

Regional Assembly Highlights
    Current Business

Timing Amendment to Security Council Disclosure by Comfed

Summary: Timing Amendment to Security Council Disclosure is a bill that would remove the 14-day time limit on releasing private Security Council logs of over 1 year of age requested by a resident.

Confirmation of Siwale to the Election Commission

Summary: Delegate TlomzKrano/Kranostav appointed Siwale to the election commission.

Passed - Legislative
    No legislative bills were passed by the Regional Assembly this month.

Passed - Non-Legislative
    No non-legislative bills were passed by the Regional Assembly this month.
    [h][/h]
    World Assembly Digest
    by Nimarya, Minister of Home Affairs
    WA Digest

The month of October saw four General Assembly resolutions passed, and the Security Council observed four proposals reach quorum, of which two were passed, one failed, and the last was quickly withdrawn. Of the Security Council proposals brought to vote during the month, two have stood out of particular interest.

The first was a resolution that passed without much issue, and yet seemed to be surprisingly controversial among The North Pacific citizens. On October 16th, Morover, an accomplished World Assembly author and a former Minister of World Assembly Affairs for The North Pacific, submitted a proposal to the Security Council that aimed to commend the nation Kuriko, a highly influential player in NationStates. Kuriko is perhaps best known for her service to the region 10000 Islands as its longest-serving WA Delegate. She might also be more recently recognized as NationStates’s World Assembly Secretary-General, having won the position during the Secretary-General election event of last April.

While the proposal saw broad approval and ultimately passed at vote with 84.1% support, on The North Pacific forum voters seemed somewhat more divided. The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs issued a recommendation to vote “For” the proposal, stating that the proposal clearly makes an excellent case for why Kuriko is deserving of a commendation. The Ministry also indicated that this proposal would serve as a far superior replacement for the first commendation of Kuriko, which had been previously repealed due to criticisms of poor writing.

However, despite the Ministry’s recommendation, on The North Pacific’s forum voting thread a number of citizens voted against the proposal, with only a few stating why. Of those who chose to voice their reasoning, it was a mix between simply disliking the writing of the proposal itself and a more targeted dislike of 10000 Island’s actions abroad and of Kuriko’s alleged stance against condemning raiders in the Security Council.

Without hearing the thoughts of the others who voted against, much is still left to conjecture, although it is easy to deduce that the age-old tensions between raiding and defender ideologies are likely at play here. A look into the NationStates forum thread in which this proposal was debated shows a similar trend to what was observed in TNP’s forum- most were approving of the proposal, with the few who stood opposed stating criticisms of Liberate Syria, a recent defender operation in which Kuriko was involved. It is clear that in this case, the voting sample in The North Pacific forum thread reflects the same general voting patterns of the wider NationStates community. The vote we have seen for this proposal is, perhaps, a symptom of the fact that TNP houses citizens of all sorts of ideologies, including both raider and defender leaning individuals. 

The second notable Security Council proposal of October failed at vote, managing to gain only 23.6% support. On October 20th, Tinhampton submitted a proposal to condemn the nation Northern Borland. What made this proposal somewhat unique was that it aimed to condemn this nation based purely off of NationStates statistics, which is an oddity for the Security Council but not completely unprecedented, since the nation Kindjal has been commended for their impressive statistics back in March of this year. The North Pacific’s Ministry of World Assembly Affairs issued no recommendation for this vote, choosing instead to let others debate and decide for themselves. TNP voters seemed to be vocally divided on the issue, but ultimately the forum vote ended in favor of the proposal, with 18 votes “For” and 15 “Against.”

The arguments for and against were rather simple- Tinhampton, the proposal’s author, argued that Northern Borland had spent almost seventeen years answering issues in a manner dedicated to working towards these statistics, and that being able to pay close attention and religiously answer issues for that sheer length of time is worthy of a condemnation. However, others remained unconvinced, citing that Northern Borland was not even in first place for many of the statistics they were being condemned for. Additionally, both in The North Pacific voting thread and in the NationStates onsite discussion thread, there were many voters who were convinced that the mere act of answering issues for long enough is not commendable or condemnable on its own.

On the other hand, some players take the stance that issues answering and statistics planning is just as valid an area of the game as others, and therefore just as worthy of recognition. While the proposal to condemn Northern Borland was shot down tremendously at vote, there are likely many players who would support other stat-based proposals to commend or condemn exemplary nations, as evidenced by the words of support seen in the debate threads and by the nation Kindjal’s commend. It will be interesting to see if, in the future, stat-based Security Council proposals can succeed and become more prominent.
    [h][/h]
    The North Star: Lighting The Way To The Truth
    Publisher: TlomzKrano :: Executive Editor: BMWSurfer:: Managing Editors: Arichia (Forumside) and Gorundu (Gameside)

The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Home Affairs internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of Issues
    [h][/h][h][/h]
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • [h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h][h][/h]
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot
    1 person likes this post: Comfed

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • The Spotlight - Interview with BMWSurfer
    Comfed: Okay. First question: How did you start off in TNP?

BMWSurfer: Well I joined NationStates in early 2017, and founded in The South Pacific. After some region shopping, I decided the best way to learn about the game was to join the biggest region. I originally planned to only stay a few months then go make a name for myself in a UCR, but I loved it so much here that I ended up staying.

Comfed: I'm sure lots of people would be familiar with that story. You're currently a Colonel in the NPA, how did you get started in there?

BMWSurfer: Well, I read through all of my options in TNP government when I first joined, and military gameplay looked interesting to me. I wasn't sure at first if I really wanted to commit to being there during updates, so I joined the Auxiliary which at the time was essentially our piling service. I became close friends with the soldiers and officers, and over the next 9 months climbed my way up the ranks to Lieutenant (the first officer rank). I loved the culture of the NPA and the friendships I made there, so I stayed there and have been in the NPA through my entire NS career.

Comfed: That's great! What was your first position in the government and who gave it to you?

BMWSurfer: While I'm more well known in TNP for my role in Home Affairs, my first passion in NS was the World Assembly. My first leadership role was as a Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and I served under Deropia and alongside TlomzKrano, who is now Delegate.

Comfed: Very interesting. Could you go into a little more detail abut your role in TNP Home Affairs?

BMWSurfer: I served for a year as Minister of Home Affairs, for two terms under Siwale, and for one term under Pallaith. I also served this year as a deputy and advisor to current HA Minister Nimarya, where I created a system of recordkeeping for HA.
    When I first joined TNP, I would've never believed I would become a Minister, especially in Home Affairs. However, over the years I've grown to love HA, and welcoming people into our great region.

Comfed: Home Affairs certainly is an overlooked but essential part of TNP. What was your favorite moment in TNP?

BMWSurfer: I took a break from NS for about a year, from the end of my last HA term until April of this year. When I refounded my nation, it was mere seconds before people here in TNP noticed. I hadn't even rejoined our Discord servers before I was pinged by people welcoming me back. Moments like that make everything worth it ":)".

Comfed: That's sweet. What’s your favorite thing about TNP?

BMWSurfer: I definitely think the community here is my favorite thing. If it weren't for the welcoming of the people here I probably wouldn't still be here

Comfed: If you could only pick one ministry to work in, which one would it be?

BMWSurfer: I would pick World Assembly Affairs. It has a little bit of everything, keeping new TNPers engaged, inter-regional cooperation, and plenty of stuff to do all the time. Although, both Home Affairs and Communications are very close seconds.

Comfed: Awesome! That's all the questions I have for now, thanks for being interviewed!

BMWSurfer: Thank you for interviewing me!

RA Highlights
    by BMWSurfer, Minister of Communications
    November was a relatively peaceful month for the Regional Assembly, a reprieve from the busyness of October and a clear transition into the holidays. There were four motions brought before the chamber this month, of which two were appointee confirmations and two were related to citizenship applications.

In October, Delegate TlomzKrano re-appointed Siwale to the Election Commission for another 6 month term pending a vote of the RA to confirm the appointment. Debate was short, and consensus in support of the confirmation was clear from the beginning. Siwale has served on the EC for its entire modern history, and is a well known and very trusted member of the TNP community. Voting on the confirmation ended at the very beginning of this month, with 47 in favor, 1 against, and 4 abstentions.

In a similarly non-controversial move, Lady Raven Wing was appointed as prosecutor in the court case The North Pacific vs. St. George. The court case involves speaker St. George (also known as MadJack) refusing to process a citizenship application, and is still ongoing. The confirmation of Lady Raven Wing also had broad consensus, and the confirmation was passed with 31 in favor, 2 against, and 15 abstentions.

In addition to these, two residents who applied for citizenship, Funkadelia and Aleister, were denied citizenship by Vice Delegate Dreadton. When this happens, according to the legal code, the RA votes to uphold the rejection of citizenship. Both rejections were upheld.

In addition to these motions which went to vote, Cretox State applied to join the Security Council and was accepted pending a confirmation by the RA. The confirmation is still in debate, where much of the discussion revolves around balancing the needs of activity and seniority within the SC. We look forward to seeing how this debate unfolds in the coming month.

News - Z-Day
    by Arichia, Deputy Minister of Communications
    Hello fellow survivor. I see that you’ve also survived the recent zombie apocalypse. Oh. So you survived it by hiding under your bed, hoping you won’t get the virus? And I suppose you’ll want the whole story to it, huh? Well then, here’s what happened during the 24 hours where brain-sucking zombies, infected by a virus invaded the world.

Before the actual disaster, TNP posted a regional poll to decide what TNP should do when the zombies strike the world. We chose to cure the zombies, rather than exterminating them or embracing them and sending them to infect other nations. (and also for nations to do whatever they want).

The zombies came on October 30th, and The Office of The Surgeon General released a public service announcement and instruction for curing other nations. Unfortunately, the game admins decided to stop curing research on all nations, meaning that nations had to begin researching a cure again. People were advised to join the regional discord and mask themselves to access the channels to coordinate with each other.

On the same day, Max Barry reassured the NS community that everything will be fine. All cure manufacturing ended all around the world. He said that “The real problem I want to discuss, though, is how some regions have closed their borders, and nations have redirected their resources into researching a "cure," or even exterminating zombie hordes with military force. I can't emphasize enough that this is a complete over-reaction. It is, in fact, this kind of needless fear that stokes division and prevents us from returning quickly to a regular lifestyle.”

The zombies kept coming and TNP saw a steady increase of zombies and decided to close its borders. Fortunately, the cures were being developed, and people began to send missiles to other nations, which drove down the number of zombies. Lists were created to show nations where to send their cures to make them do the most. Some people still decided to exterminate, and nations with zombies to exterminate were posted in a discord channel. Others decided to embrace the zombies, and sent hordes to other nations, infecting them. These nations were then kicked out of the region, preventing them from infecting others.

These border measures ended, and Max Barry created a news post declaring it. ”You can reimpose them if you really must. But why would you? Stop cowering in fear and embrace life again! “Get out and stretch your legs! Use your brains! Yes, especially those. Your soFt, deliciOus braiNs. Get tHem outsIde. Where wE cAn rEach them” he also said, creating some suspicion of him being infected. This was later confirmed when he announced that he was just struck by a cure missile, and to ignore his previous comments regarding the apocalypse.

The apocalypse ended soon after, and even after, through those combined efforts, TNP managed to decrease zombie numbers, and came out with the region with the most survivors. 23.7 trillion! While the rest of the world wasn’t so lucky, having 55.1% dead, TNP was mostly spared.

I guess you could say that Z-Day this year was a blast! For those who didn’t join us this year, make sure you join next year! Whether you’re curing your fellow region mates, shooting down zombies, or shipping them out to your rival’s nation, Z-Day is surely a fun day for all! (Except for the zombies being shot down, of course.)

NPA Bulletin
    by Westinor, Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs
    Promotions
    [PFC] Arichia -> Corporal
    [PVT] Westinor -> Private First Class

The NPA has been very busy prepping for the holiday season, starting off the month of November with a visit to everyone’s favorite admin friends over at  Testregionia ! They looked around for  Testlandia , but couldn’t seem to find them anywhere… hoping to leave a little surprise and feeling a bit naughty, a tag was left behind for them to enjoy!

However, the rest of Nationstates was not to be forgotten. NPA Officer COL BMWSurfer, as well as Minister and Deputy Minister of Defense COL Gorundu and GEN 9003 led several tag and detag runs throughout the month, whipping new recruits into shape and singing awfully premature yuletide carols along the way. Featured Region of the Day  Mikov Call  was also hit on minor update of November 15th, led by GEN Gladio on the trigger.

During one of these tag runs the North Pacific Army also unseated several delegates in approval of the proposal “Repeal: ‘Liberate Confederation Of Corrupt Dictators’”, contributing to the eventual failure and dropping of a proposal that sought to remove an offensive liberation from fascist region Confederation of Corrupt Dictators.

The NPA also departed on two separate joint operations with members of ERN, looking to spread some Christmas cheer before Thanksgiving, ending at  Christmas , where Defense Minister  9003  declared Die Hard a Christmas movie and challenged others to prove otherwise. The second, held on Major of November 25th featured an ultimately unsuccessful attempt at invading the region of  Japan  as variance resulted in the target region updating earlier than expected. However, participating members had a fun time bonding with members of different organizations.

High Command also had something in store for the beginning of the holiday season. On Thanksgiving weekend, a total of nine soldiers from the North Pacific Army gathered with members of several other organizations, including Lily and The Grey Wardens in an effort to unseat delegate  Mikeswill  of the region  Nationstates . Soldiers were seen prepping for the op an hour before the jump, chatting with comrades and enjoying stories from times long past. The raid itself was successful, bringing King Zhaoxiang Of Qin up to the position of WA Delegate for a single update and ending Mikeswill’s 16-year long reign - the longest in Nationstates at the time.

World Assembly Digest
    by Cretox State, Minister of WA Affairs
    WA Digest

Fifteen WA proposals in total went to vote during the month of November, nearly double that of October. Of these fifteen, eight were GA proposals, with the remaining seven being in the SC. Only two proposals failed at vote, both of which were in the SC. These defeated proposals included “Commend Ariusgrad” and “Commend Twobagger”. Impressively, ten out of the fifteen voted-on proposals were submitted by members of the TNP WA Ministry; this is 67% of voted-on proposals and 77% of passed proposals during the month. A total of ten unique authors submitted the fifteen voted-on proposals this month. Three passed resolutions this month were sponsored Accelerator proposals. Former TNP WA Minister  Morover  was commended this month.

Most Supported
    The most widely supported proposal during November was SC 332 “Commend Sierra Lyricalia”, which passed with 89.6% support and sought to commend a prominent antifascist military gameplayer, WA and issues contributor, and member of the WA General Secretariat. Overall, this was an incredibly uncontroversial commendation that faced no major opposition. This proposal was authored by  Cretox State  and co-authored by  Honeydewistania .

Most Opposed
    The most widely opposed proposal to come to vote during November was another SC proposal, “Commend Ariusgrad”. Proposed by  Joan Darc , this proposal sought to recognize its nominee’s region-building efforts in the founderless region of  Philippines  and received 31.7% support. A large portion of the opposition to this proposal stemmed from concerns over the actual significance of the nominee’s accomplishments, along with strange construction; specifically, the proposal cited the region maintaining “warm relations” and creating government positions as commendable.

Most Controversial
    The most controversial proposal to come to vote in November 2020 was undoubtedly “Commend Twobagger”, proposed by  Jakker City . Narrowly failing with 46.9% support, this proposal aimed to recognize the contributions of its nominee to defending, a subset of military gameplay, and regional development. The proposal was the subject of intense opposition from the beginning, with  10000 Islands  being a primary voice of criticism. The proposal’s voting numbers shifted between slight support and opposition throughout the duration of the vote, and a single substantially powerful regional delegate had the power to flip the vote for most of it. The turning point arguably came after a highly publicized incident in which three members of  The Black Hawks  moved WA nations into  The South Pacific  and voted in favor of the proposal in an alleged violation of TSP sovereignty. Given the incredibly narrow final margin of the vote, there could very well be another attempt at this commendation in the future.
     [SIZE=14]November Justice Election[/size]
    by Owen, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
    The months of November brought us another Judicial election and this time all three justice positions were up for election. With it being a normal judicial election, there was a larger field than the special elections that have been held recently with 8 citizens declaring their candidacy. The citizens that ran in this election were: Comfed, Honeydewistan, Laeg, Lord Lore, Monkemafiatopia, saintpeter, Vivanco, and Yalkan.

Comfed
    Comfed ran in this election on the back of their successful defence in a recent Court case as one of the newest citizens in the field. Comfed also ran on their belief that they had sufficient experience to allow them to take on the role of Justice with an open mind and the ability to be a neutral and unbiased judge of issues. Whilst Comfed received some support, they were not elected.

Honeydewistan
    Moving onto looking at Honeydewistan’s campaign, they had a much more informal campaign than some of their other competitors. They had a campaign thread, but did not post any campaign promises or reasons to vote for them until they were asked to. After being asked why they should be a good pick for Justice they said that their neutrality in TNP politics put them in a strong position to ensure their neutrality if they were elected as Justice. However, when it came to voting, Honeydewistan did not receive the support needed and therefore was not elected.

Laeg
    Laeg was the most inexperienced candidate in the election, having only joined TNP’s forum in October. Their campaign was a short one in which they promised to work to ensure that laws in the region remained fair and just, as well as ensuring cases were balanced and equal for both sides. In their campaign, they also endorsed Vivanco and Lord Lore as the other two justices that they liked to see elected alongside them. However, Laeg’s campaign was not successful and they were not elected.

Lord Lore
    Lord Lore is a Security Councillor within TNP. They declared their candidacy in the election and then chose not to post a campaign thread. Despite not having a campaign thread, Lore was elected as Justice in the third tally of votes.

Monkemafiatopia
    Monkemafiatopia is a new member of the TNP community and chose not to post a campaign thread. Likely due to the lack of a campaign thread, they received very little support and were not elected.

Saintpeter
    Saintpeter ran off of the back of an unsuccessful attempt to get elected as Justice in the August Special Election. In this campaign, they had more experience in this branch of government in TNP having argued in a request for review before the Court as well as being Temporary Hearing Officer for another case. In their campaign thread Saintpeter argued that it was important to protect the independence of the judiciary, and ensure this by not voting in any RA business during their tenure as Justice. As well as this, they stood on a promise to make the Judicial branch more accessible to new members of TNP by looking at implementing law clerks within the judiciary to allow new members to get experience within TNP’s Court. Saintpeter’s campaign proved to be popular and was the second elected Justice.

Vivanco
    Vivanco was the only incumbent standing for re-election. Vivanco ran their campaign as a continuation of their time as Justice after their election in the August Special Election. They also ran on their experience of TNP law as a former Attorney General as well as their time as Justice last term. As well as this, one of Vivanco’s most important aspects was the need for stability and independence within the judiciary. Vivanco proved to be the most popular candidate in the election and was the first Justice to be elected.

Yalkan
    Yalkan is a long-standing member of TNP and stood for election for the first time in a while. Yalkan did not post a campaign thread, which proved to be an issue when it came to voting. Due to the lack of a campaign, Yalkan was not very popular amongst voters and therefore was not elected as Justice.

Therefore, after an election that had a good turnout and had a large field, Vivanco, Saintpeter, and Lord Lore were elected as Justices.

Publisher: TlomzKrano :: Executive Editor: BMWSurfer :: Managing Editor: Arichia (Forum) and Gorundu (Dispatch)

The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Home Affairs internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of Issues
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter
  • The Spotlight 32 – Interview with Owen
    by Comfed
    Comfed: When did you join The North Pacific?

Owen: I joined The North Pacific around 4 and a half years ago, in August 2016 I think. It was the region my first nation was founded in, so I just stuck around.

Comfed: And once you joined, what did you do?

Owen: For the first couple of days, I just got to grips with the region and became a citizen straight away. From there I started looking into the TNP government and joined the Foreign Affairs ministry, which was being led by Praetor I think, who really helped me get settled in the ministry and the region as a whole and was probably what got me really interested in FA, and that interest still remains today.

Comfed: What was the first thing you noticed about the TNP community?

Owen: I think the first thing I noticed about the TNP community was how involved and how active it was. I obviously joined right before a general election, so I saw what elections were like an it just surprised me how much is going on and how active it was all the time, and I think that is what has been something that I have always loved TNP for.

Comfed: Have any people in particular been important to you as mentors?

Owen: So this is a question that people have asked me a few times, and I think that his has changed the longer I have been around but I would definitely say that there are a couple of people that I would see as mentors. The first of these would be Pallaith. Pallaith was Speaker that saw something in me and gave me the chance to join the Speakers office and become more involved in the region. Since then, we have worked really closely on numerous occasions and I have never bee afraid to message and ask any questions that I have. The second of these is McMasterdonia. Since I first interacted with him when he became MoFA before going on to be Delegate, and we have developed a good relationship and have worked really closely on some really big projects and he is someone that I speak to a lot and bounce a lot of ideas off, so he is a really important mentor for me.

Comfed: So, what's your favorite ministry and why?

Owen: See this is something that is conflicting for me a little bit. Being the Home Affairs Minister, I should really be saying that it is the HA ministry, but then everyone would know that I am lying. For me, there isn't really much doubt, it has to be the FA ministry. It is the ministry that I have been a part of since the start and have done so much work for, so it cannot be anything else.

Comfed: Interesting! What was your first position in the government and who gave it to you?

Owen: So, the first position I had in government was actually a ministry that I am not really involved with now and that is the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs. Back when I was a deputy speaker, I was doing a bit in the ministry and Sil Dorsett approached me about becoming a deputy and I said yes.

Comfed: And finally, the most important question: cake or pie?

Owen: Now that depends, are we talking a sweet pie, like an apple pie, or a savoury pie?

Comfed: Whichever you prefer.

Owen: I would probably have to say a savoury pie, like a steak and gravy pie. I don't really have a sweet tooth and I usually prefer savoury to sweet, so I would have to go for that.
    News  - January Elections
    by lol2639
    In January, TNP held a General Election. During this election, citizens voted on who should become the next Delegate, Vice Delegate, and Speaker of the Regional Assembly. In the Delegate election, McMasterdonia ran on a platform of government accountability and communication with the citizenry, while incumbent Tlomz ran on continuing his successes from the previous term. McMasterdonia won the delegacy, winning 78% of the total vote.

The race for Vice Delegate was uncontested, with only Cretox State running. He secured 79% of the total vote, with a notable 37% voting to re-open nominations. Robespierre and Bobberino, both former Deputy Speakers with similar backgrounds in TNP, were the primary challengers to the Speakership. Robespierre ultimately secured 43.9% of the vote, while Bobberino got 37% of the vote.

The transition into the new government was quick, with McMasterdonia taking the in-game delegacy within a couple weeks of the election. This was due to McMasterdonia having a high number of endorsements coming into the transition, and a rapid response from Home Affairs and the Gameside Advocates in publicizing the transition.

NPA Bulletin
    by Westinor
    Promotions
    Lieutenant Gorundu -> Captain
    Lieutenant 9003 -> Captain
    Corporal Westinor -> Sergeant
    Private Great New Canada -> Private First Class
    Private East Isles -> Private First Class

Welcome back from the holidays, folks! Well, what can I say? The term started off quick as former Minister of Defense 9003 took the NPA flying with the Black Hawks in a joint op that hit several hundred regions! We bid 9003 a fond farewell and hope to see them joining us for ops again soon.

Cue the music: our next Minister of Defense, appointed by Delegate McMasterdonia, comes from the wondrous land of rows and recruitment telegrams - that’s right, Nimarya is taking the helm for this term! In her opening statement, Nimarya laid out a clear plan for the rest of the term. The first and foremost priority was leading and hosting more operations, with a greater focus on increased training ops and teaching chasing. Additionally, NIm also noted that much more time will be spent updating training manuals and guides. With the increased focus on versatility and training new soldiers, the NPA is looking at a term of great growth and renewed energy.

Nim took to the Minister role right away, giving regional jump points Lunarpunk and Birb a brand new coat of paint - pink paint, to be exact. She also managed to appease 9003’s newfound hunger for power with a promotion to Captain. The NPA focused on the delegacy transition for the first half of the month, helping to complete an incredibly fast transition for incoming Delegate McMasterdonia and Vice Delegate Cretox State.

But of course, who wants to wait for a stinky delegacy transition before going off on an op? Not the NPA! Some NPA soldiers snuck out to party with a whole bunch of regions in Operation Boom Beach, hitting Alnobia as part of the largest updater force ever! The NPA returned back to the delegacy transition before doing a one-eighty and turning back to delegate tip the Confederation of Corrupt Dictators - but in a surprising twist, the region refused to update! It appeared that the combined power of the NPA and its allies was too much for even the game to handle.

True to the goals outlined in her opening statement, Nim alongside officers ROM and BMWSurfer led the NPA on several training operations, whipping the new privates into shape and tagging regions along the way! Switching is going to become super easy, barely an inconvenience in no time for the new recruits. Additionally, Nim led the NPA in a special operation on the 22nd, splitting the participating members into two groups - one tagging group and one chasing. While the chasers had a bit of trouble catching the taggers, with a bit of experience and some determination there is no doubt the NPA will get the hang of things quickly.

To cap off the month, the NPA once again joined TGW, Europeia, Lily, the AA, and our fellow Pacifics in paying the CCD another visit. Energy was high as the force hit several openly fascist regions, toppling their delegates in an outstanding operation. Fun was had, but in the end the force accomplished a great feat. If there’s one thing we’ve learned in the last month, it’s that fascists have no place on NationStates, and the North Pacific Army is glad to have participated in an operation that cast shame on those who so openly supported a vile ideology.

That’s all for now! We hope to see you next time for some more action and some more ops. And hey, if you ever want to join in on the fun, the NPA’s doors are always open. World Assembly Digest
    by Honeydewistania
    Repeal: “Commend The Western Isles”   
    This incredibly savage resolution, penned by our former Deputy Minister of WA Affairs Bormiar, was the latest in a series of badge hunting ripping commendation badges without replacing them due to poor writing and inaccuracies. Commend The Western Isles was authored by former resident Greater Cesnica, which commended them for their roleplaying. Bormiar argued that the lack of international impact and gross exaggerations meant that the resolution should be InstaRepealed!, but also controversially stated that Greater Cesnica’s inability to listen to feedback or to not rush a resolution to vote was a reason the resolution should be repealed. The resolution was supported by The North Pacific, but was opposed by regions such as 10000 Islands who did not want to remove a commendation of an allied region. The proposal passed on January 6th.

Commend Northrop-Grumman
    A sneaky sneaky resolution! This proposal included the many roleplaying accomplishments and contributions of the “most dark nation” of Northrop-Grumman, including maintaining indexes and creating databases. However, due to a certain unmentionable, the resolution also included numerous references to the unmentionable, in a slightly clever but somewhat-poorly executed attempt at sidestepping the well established decorum of the Security Council! The proposal was defeated by a tight margin, despite support from The North Pacific, owing to the lack of commendable content in the proposal. A discussion on the application on the legality of directly mentioning the unmentionable was generated, but in the end the established rules prevailed.

Commend Singapore no2
    A very well written resolution, Commend Singapore no2 commended its nominee for their prolific issues authorship (28!), or as described in the resolution text, for their ability to resolve the conflicts that plague the nations of the world, as well as protecting their home region of Singapore in an issues-based commendation that broke the mold of past resolutions. Revised, rewritten and redrafted to excellent quality, the resolution passed comfortably and with the support of the North Pacific.

Regulating Remote Election Administration
    Think you were out of the election woods when we exited 2020? Think again! The first General Assembly proposal to hit the floor in the New Year was in style, touching on mail voting (a RL hot button topic) and expatriate voters. The proposal was soundly (and perhaps surprisingly) defeated, garnering just over 10% of votes, due to multiple issues such as the narrow scope and the unpopularity of elections-related resolutions.

Repeal: “International Criminal Protocol”
    Hot on the heels of the election proposal was yet another controversial proposal - Repeal International Criminal Protocol. Very similar to another passed resolution, Repeal: “Crime and Punishment”, this proposal denounced the target’s mandate that the World Assembly shall reserve the legality of the death penalty as a whole to member nations themselves. This proposal reignited the perennial debate on the death penalty but ended up passing overwhelmingly, despite concerns over the underdeveloped replacement to the other mandates in the target.

Fair Treatment of Prisoners
    The WA should pass a ‘Fair Treatment of WA Ambassadors’ after subjecting us to the ensuing death penalty debate! This resolution aimed to protect the rights of prisoners regarding solitary confinement and prison labour. The proposal was fairly simple, passing easily and with the support of the North Pacific. It would hardly be the most exciting of proposals to come.

Death Penalty Ban
    Now we have the resolution everyone was waiting for! Authored by longtime death penalty abolition advocate Imperium Anglorum, this resolution was cut and dry: abolish death penalty except for war criminals and the like, and commute all death sentences. Despite massive outcry from smaller nations, this resolution passed with minimal resistance, almost 100 resolutions after the original Repeal “Crime and Punishment” passed.

Protecting Sapient Life
    Death Penalty Ban II: Electric Boogaloo, basically. This proposal enforced a full ban on the death penalty, in addition to preventing the extradition or deportation of people to countries where they could be executed. The resolution was surprisingly defeated on the voting floor likely due to its extremely vague text, leaving room for several loopholes. Following this defeat, another proposal has been drafted to enforce this ban (yes, this saga isn’t over yet), so stay tuned.
    Security Council Review
    by Cretox State

With a new Delegate, new Vice Delegate, new applicants, and new and ongoing projects, January was sure to be a hectic month for the Vice Delegate and the Security Council as a whole.

The Transition to a New Government
    As of January 11, 2021, McMasterdonia and Cretox State took the positions of Delegate and Vice Delegate, respectively. Despite beginning the transition period with fairly high enforcement counts, both nations had some distance to climb before assuming the first and second regional positions in endorsements.

In total, the Delegate transition took slightly under two weeks. The Vice Delegate transition was completed shortly thereafter. This transition was significantly faster than the previous two largely due to the Delegate’s and Vice Delegate’s starting positions, active endotarting, frequent endorsement alerts, personal telegrams, a responsive Security Council and executive staff, and involvement from the Ministry of Home Affairs and Gameside Advocates. No special card rewards were employed for this transition. A complete timeline of the transition is available in this thread.

2020 WADP Survey
    Started during the previous term, the 2020 World Assembly Development Program survey invited interested nations to offer feedback on TNP’s World Assembly Development Program, with some questions also tackling the region’s Security Council. The survey is released yearly, with 2020’s results made public in January 2021. Responses were positive and constructive, with a full breakdown available in this thread.

New SC Applicants and Resignation
    Two nations applied to the Security Council in January: Kranostav and Dreadton. Additionally, Regional Assembly discussion and voting on Xagill’s Security Council application largely occurred in January, with Xagill joining the SC in early February. Despite being narrowly denied nomination by the SC, Xagill acquired the 2/3rds Regional Assembly majority necessary to be appointed to the SC. A former Delegate and career public servant, Kranostav was nominated to the SC by majority vote. RA discussion on their application is currently ongoing. Dreadton, a former Vice Delegate and Minister, applied shortly after Kranostav, with the Security Council currently voting on their application.

In late January, Sundred resigned from the Security Council, bringing total membership down to ten nations. However, the SC is poised to expand to as many as thirteen members in the near future.

Other Projects
    In addition to the ongoing declassification effort and weekly reports, there have been a few new developments over the past month:

• The first monthly Vice Delegate fireside chat was held on January 31st, with a recording available on the Northern Broadcasting Service’s YouTube channel here.
    • An early version of a VD mentoring template is being sent to forum members who pass the Vice Delegate’s citizenship check.
    • This is the first edition of a new Security Council Review article for the Ministry of Communications, covering SC matters over the past month.

Publisher: mcmasterdonia  :: Executive Editor: BMWSurfer
    The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Communications internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.[/small]
    Index of Issues
    1 person likes this post: Red Mones
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:44:29 AM by Cromwell »
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot
  • Thanks for the update!
    1 person likes this post: Comfed

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Comfed
  • Village Drifter

• Cards Symposium? What's that?

Greetings, everyone! To celebrate the fact that cards trading has lasted so long as a prominent feature, The North Pacific hereby invites YOU, fellow NationStates user, to attend our first-ever Cards Symposium!
    Starting first-thing on February 21 2021, players finding themselves participating in this event will get to experience a wide range of activities, whether it be: 1) competing in games to win awards, 2) listening to experienced card users giving lectures, and more!
    To participate, please click on the Discord invite in order to join!

What exactly will take place at the Symposium?

With all honesty, there's so many things that it'll prove difficult to name! There will be events such as card collecting competitions, card lotteries, long-time users speaking about their experiences in cards, and even gaming rooms such as an Among Us match, so be assured that there will be more than enough events in order to make your participation worthwhile~

To view our full schedule, please see the following: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1507000

What's in it for me if I attend?

Not only will you get the chance to gain first-hand knowledge regarding the cards game, but you'll also receive multiple chances to win extremely valuable cards each day, including the highly coveted Testlandia!
    Each day, there will be 1 lottery that will take place, and a random user attending the event will be the recipient of a randomized legendary card. In addition, multiple events + competitions will be hosted that will reward the winner with cards of the same rarity as mentioned, so not only will participation in those events be fun, but they'll also be highly rewarding!

We hope to see you there, so thanks a ton for reading!
    Comfed
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot
  • Thanks for the invitation! Just a heads-up though, looks like there's a problem with your links...there's a %27 at the beginning, a missing colon after https, and an apostrophe at the end.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15