Pages: [1]

Transgender Awareness and Going Stealth

HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • This has been on my mind a bit and I was really curious to hear what people here think about it.

Going "Stealth" is a term used in transgender communities to describe when someone "passes" as their desired gender 100% of the time, and often breaking ties with vestiges of their previous life. Many trans people who go Stealth no longer actively identify themselves as trans but this is a fairly contested issue.

I'm going to try to describe the issue, by telling a bit of my story in relation to it. For me, I am stealth almost everywhere, my colleagues and people I work with don't know, many of my friends don't know. I've actively tried to remove information relating to my previous self/life so less people know, I am a bit more open online though, and I feel comfortable talking about this here. The way I feel day to day is how I want, I've always felt like a woman and now I for all intents and purposes am a woman, it makes me really happy and content to think about. If I won an award or was interviewed or anything I wouldn't want anyone or anything to say "transwoman" or "transgender" next to me, I just don't associate with and don't like those terms for me.

There is a dilemma though, if it wasn't for openly trans advocates, I might not have been able to transition as comfortably as I did, it was people like that who built and environment that let's me be stealth... but in being stealth I am not contributing to that anymore. I tend to not identify much with trans rights movements recently, and I've found much more of a connection with women's rights and women's groups.

I have been accused of having "passing privilege" a couple times in the past, and people have said I should be open and tell people I am trans so it can be seen how normal, successful and acceptable trans people can be; but I really don't want to do that myself. I like to keep to myself, but the longer I've kept that up I feel the less I've been able to relate to trans issues and people who are open, and mid, or pre transition.

Basically in relating my story here I want to prompt discussion, tl;dr do you think trans people, who have effectively transitioned or who pass well should still be open about their transgenderism, in order to make people more aware and try to make society more accepting of trans people in general?

I'd love to hear from anyone about this, don't feel you need to hold off for not sharing my experience. Thanks. ^-^
    3 people like this post: Katie, Arenado, taulover
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I'm actually on the fence about this terminology, myself.

On the one side, I detest the idea of going in "stealth" because it sounds as if there's a hint of shame as to what you were once before.  This is obviously quite an assumptive observation, as that may not be the case at all.  But when I hear people actively say this, that's generally where my thought process goes.  You don't like who you were before, and you don't want people to make that connection...so you simply just elude it as if it never existed.

On the flipside, however, I also am inclined to say that, like a person's sexuality, that who you are is absolutely nobody's business but your own.  You shouldn't have to disclose that you're transgender, in stealth mode, or whatever you want to call it.  If you identify as a female, then you're a female...not a MTF.  If you identify as a male, then you're a male, not a FTM.  Having to classify yourself otherwise sounds more like a crutch because of close-minded people, and having to disclose that you grew up in a different sex can be quite damaging if the result of that disclosure turns negative...as if your decision to be more of yourself was a bad one.

And no, you're not obligated to tell anyone that you don't feel comfortable telling.  It could be argued that you should disclose it to a potential partner because you shouldn't lie to them, but if your partner really loves you, they'd be looking past what you "used to be" and are looking more at who you are at that moment.

So yeah, I'm a bit on the fence, but I usually just agree with the person's own choice on the matter.  It's your body, your life, so it's your decision in the end on how to approach it, and I support whatever choice that you make. 

And on that note, excuse me while I go into a bit of a...I guess ramble, as I couldn't think of the word I wanted to use.

Basically, I treat it the same as I do "coming out" versus "staying in the closet."

I don't potentially agree with hiding who you are or what you're into, especially if you're getting married to a woman while hiding the fact that you're clearly only attracted to men.  That's both damaging to yourself in the long run, and is also unfairly damaging your female partner since she's going to feel like it's her fault, or she'll just grow to resent you for not being true with yourself.

That being said, I know that there are demons that people have to fight.  Both with themselves, and with narrow minded people out there that choose not to understand what I'd usually consider basic things about a person.  I understand that there are people that react negatively, and even violently, to those same things that they don't understand, and there is always a risk of danger of potentially running into that violent person when you're one of those people.  My parents worry for me every day for that reason, and I won't lie and say that it doesn't cross my mind that I could be jumped or attacked or beaten or worse by someone simply because I have an attraction to men.  I've been called the F word a few times, and I'm just waiting for the day that it turns from being emotionally hurt to becoming physically so.

However, I do also believe that you shouldn't have to hide who you are.  You are who you are, and if people can't accept that, then that's their own weakness, not yours.  You shouldn't have to cater to their weakness because you're afraid of losing them.  If they can't accept who you are, then they never mattered in the first place, because they never would have truly supported you when you needed it.

You are who you are, and you live the life you choose.  You're out to live your life, and they can either be a part of that, or they can wallow in their own weakness and live their life bounded by their own narrow-minded shortcomings.

If anything, I usually don't disclose unless I'm asked, and I'd imagine the same route can be taken for a trans person as well.  If someone asks, you can choose to tell them, but otherwise just go about your day normally.  I wouldn't shout to the high heavens that I'm a gay man except when I'm trying to make a point in a discussion, because my attraction to men isn't what makes me who I am.  I believe the same goes for trans people.  You're not trans, you're Hannah.  I'm not gay, I'm Maxwell.  The steps you make to become the person you are aren't what define you.  You're not the person you are because you're trans, and I'm not the person I am because I embrace my sexuality instead of hide it.  We're who we are because of all of the steps we've taken in life, not just because of one of those important steps.

So in all honesty, that's how I feel like it should be treated on subjects like that.  You don't have to go "stealth," but the whole world doesn't have to know the steps you've gone through to become the more ideal "Hannah" that you've become unless you choose to tell them.  All they need to know is that you're Hannah, you're the person you want to be, and you like who you are.  Any specifics beyond that are irrelevant unless you choose to share them for clarification/awareness.

Anyways, ramble over, I think I've made my point.
    2 people like this post: HannahB, taulover
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • It's a tough personal issue that I think everyone has to figure out for themselves.

On one hand, it would probably do the cause of LGBT rights good for successful, happy members to stand up and be seen, especially when you consider the struggles transgender people face that cause such high suicide rates in that group. They need to know that they can overcome their struggles and become happy with who they are and what their lives are, too. But on the other hand, people want to be known as unique individuals, not as the trans person, and it's hardly fair to expect all transgender people to have to be defined by their gender identity or feel like they have to become a role model for others. The same could be said with any minority, really.

There's probably a happy medium, but it's not going to be the same for every person, thus it being a personal issue that each person has to figure out for themselves.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Well, I think that is something that people will need to figure out for themselves. If a, to use your terminology, stealth Trans person wished to stand as a role model for society and the community, great. I applaud them and wish them nothing but the best. But if they wish to live their life in peace, that is also their choice.

A good analogy (pardon my tangent) is Sally Ride. I know a lot of people were upset that she never came out in her lifetime. I, personally, respect her decision. I would feel the same way about stealth Trans people who chose to remain out of the public eye.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]