Pages: 1 [2]

Wintermoot Studies

taulover
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I got my Kindle last Thursday, and I love it! It was a bit smaller than I thought it would be, but it turned out to be a good size for reading. It's lightweight but sturdy, and I've enjoyed reading my Amazon library on there so far...much more than reading it on the computer screen lol. One reason for wanting one is because I want to spend more time away from the computer...I spend so much time in front of it that these days it feels relaxing just to get away from it for awhile. This is the model I ultimately went with.
    Glad that you're enjoying the Kindle! I do think the smaller size is pretty convenient. And you got warm light too and waterproofing, nice!
    I'll have to check out OverDrive/Libby...I think I saw sometime before that even my local library supports it. I have no shortage of books to read at the moment, though. :P
    It does require requesting and waiting for your books, but it's quite nice! There are also... other means of acquiring books if that's how you prefer.
    A few years back I read on one of my content creator newsletters that it's important that you control your own platform...that doing everything on social media put you at the mercy of algorithm changes that could damage your business, and so you need to try to get as many people to join your website or email newsletter as possible. It made sense to me...I had read where people's businesses were ruined because Facebook had changed their algorithms so they received a fraction of the traffic they once did. Then I read sometime later about how more and more the web isn't even designed for humans but for Google's algorithms through SSO, which has led to a bland internet where many websites look the same. I'll admit as cringe as they could be, I sometimes miss the personality of old Web 1.0 sites where the design showed something of the author who created it. And more recently, I've read a number of articles about governments seeking to control the internet (and unfortunately not just authoritarian governments).

I could see the benefits of a decentralized internet, one that isn't easily controlled by blocking or shutting down a website, where collectives of individuals could choose whether to support a site not just by donating, but by hosting a copy of the site themselves...the idea of having a website hosted on your own computer and not having to go through a webhost is something that I think would be empowering and freeing for a lot of people. I remember when I was thinking about getting hosting, it was kind of intimidating trying to find a webhost and then figuring out things like FTP. Of course, that being said I know it would present new challenges for misinformation and moderation, but I can't imagine it would be worse than on sites that are literally too big to effectively moderate even if the tech giants behind them wanted to (which I don't completely believe they do).

I don't know anything about blockchains or Web3 (other than that a year ago people were hyping it like they were NFTs), but I can see the power and the appeal of the basic concept. I think a more individualistic internet would be a good thing...in a way a return to its roots.
    I might not even describe a decentralized web as more "individualistic"... it inherently requires a lot more cooperation and working together instead of a singular centralized source.
    The thing with email and podcasts is that they work alongside today's centralized web. If you want to find a tech podcast for example you can look on up on Google or one of the podcasting sites like Google Podcasts (which I know is being shut down, it's just what I used back in the day). You can look up an email address or you can find it in your organization's directory (I think email is mostly used in work settings these days as a means of communication, my personal email is mostly for receiving newsletters). And that's fine...but it's odd if a technology that aims to replace the modern internet is using it as a way for people to find things. At some point it's counterproductive to tell people to Google links to decentralized websites. :P

That said, the internet really became ubiquitous with Web 2.0, because it finally became convenient enough for most people to contribute to...the posted web, as the Median post you linked to called it. Suddenly, you no longer had to create your own website to put something online...you just had to create an account somewhere and start posting. I was just saying that if the decentralized web really wants to become a mainstream replacement or alternative to the current web it's going to have to take convenience for non-technical people into account or it's just going to end up being a niche for techies and passionate "data wants to be free" people that never goes anywhere.
    I think when we (or at least I) say that we want decentralized internet/web, that does not mean that everything should be self-hosted. For content creators and business owners, self-hosting makes sense, but that's not most people. In fact, that seems counterproductive for both efficiency and usability concerns. (Most attempts to solve this happen in the blockchain space, and generally create more problems around the centralization of power than they solve.) Rather, the way that share and access things should be through open systems that allow for freedom of choice and prevent any one entity from having full control or decision-making power. With email, you can write your own email software and run your own email server, but that's not necessary because you can just use Gmail, and if you don't like Gmail, you can still use something else and communicate with people on Gmail. With podcasts, you can host in one place and then list to any number of podcast directories/apps for people to find it. That's very different from modern social networks, which fully control every aspect of the process, and fully gate their networks to prevent cross-communication.

Just having these open protocols would create much greater freedom of choice and prevent unilateral decisions by profit-seeking corporations. Even if our search engines remained centralized, that does not change that the content would no longer be behind walled gardens. (In any case, I have not seen a convincing model for a working decentralized search engine that is not a crypto scam.) I think it is also not really confusing from a usability perspective; I have tech-illiterate friends on Mastodon (though I'll admit that Mastodon could have some significant usability improvements, but that comes with investment that it has not had), and whether or not they're there mainly just depends on where their social network is.

I do agree with your last point. I guess all I'm saying is that this is not a problem inherent with the technology, but rather a problem resulting from our socioeconomic system, which inherently rewards centralization of power.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Glad that you're enjoying the Kindle! I do think the smaller size is pretty convenient. And you got warm light too and waterproofing, nice!
    I enjoy the warm light, especially at night! I'm currently reading The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living, and the first thing it talks about is how Danes set a cozy environment with warm light sources like candles, fireplaces, and glowing lamps. Besides that, I've had f.lux on my computer for years now...the science isn't clear on whether it helps you fall asleep more naturally, but at this point I just like it.

It does require requesting and waiting for your books, but it's quite nice! There are also... other means of acquiring books if that's how you prefer.
    Haha, I actually don't mind paying for a book, especially if it's one that I'll like. There's been times I've read a book at the library or on Scribd (now Everand) and then bought the book just to always have it handy for reference. A part of me, which is far away from my minimalist self, would love to create a small personal library, where I could loan books out to my friends if they wanted to. That was apparently a major thing to have for upper-class people centuries ago...not so much so now, sadly.

I might not even describe a decentralized web as more "individualistic"... it inherently requires a lot more cooperation and working together instead of a singular centralized source.
    I guess in my mind the preferred future of the internet is individualistic, and a decentralized internet could help enable that. Potential problems aside, one of the things I liked about the mini-Twitter decentralized feed is that the actual post was hosted on each person's site instead of a central database that a company controls. Even if people are cooperating, it's because they've made the intentional individual choice to instead of just defaulting to that as sites are today.

Related, I just read yesterday that Reddit has struck a $60 million/year deal with a 'large AI company' to use Reddit posts for training data...money that I'm sure won't be shared with the people who actually made those posts. They've apparently also been threatening to block Google and Microsoft web crawlers if they don't also agree to pay up.

I think when we (or at least I) say that we want decentralized internet/web, that does not mean that everything should be self-hosted. For content creators and business owners, self-hosting makes sense, but that's not most people. In fact, that seems counterproductive for both efficiency and usability concerns. (Most attempts to solve this happen in the blockchain space, and generally create more problems around the centralization of power than they solve.) Rather, the way that share and access things should be through open systems that allow for freedom of choice and prevent any one entity from having full control or decision-making power. With email, you can write your own email software and run your own email server, but that's not necessary because you can just use Gmail, and if you don't like Gmail, you can still use something else and communicate with people on Gmail. With podcasts, you can host in one place and then list to any number of podcast directories/apps for people to find it. That's very different from modern social networks, which fully control every aspect of the process, and fully gate their networks to prevent cross-communication.

Just having these open protocols would create much greater freedom of choice and prevent unilateral decisions by profit-seeking corporations. Even if our search engines remained centralized, that does not change that the content would no longer be behind walled gardens. (In any case, I have not seen a convincing model for a working decentralized search engine that is not a crypto scam.) I think it is also not really confusing from a usability perspective; I have tech-illiterate friends on Mastodon (though I'll admit that Mastodon could have some significant usability improvements, but that comes with investment that it has not had), and whether or not they're there mainly just depends on where their social network is.
    I think we're not entirely on the same page...I don't have an issue with email or podcast protocols themselves, and I don't think everything has to be self-hosted to be individualistic. I think the problem is that besides someone directly giving you a link to their stuff you look up email addresses and podcasts using some kind of centralized service...a search engine, a directory, or website. And that's fine on the current web...but if the decentralized web wants to replace that, how will you find it? According to the presentation, the only way you could find even a web address is to receive it directly or look it up on their web 2.0 website. You open up the browser and it's literally a blank page. So if your aim is to replace the current web with something that's better (in their opinion), how do you fix that problem without relying on what you're trying to replace?

I think centralized search engines could be potentially problematic...maybe less-so if there's a number of them that are competing with each other. But as it is Google just as a search engine has so much power over the internet that people are designing websites for what Google wants rather than what their own audiences want through SEO.

And I'm speaking more of ideals here...I understand that this is something that's in development and that people don't have all the answers. I don't even know if this will ever be something that has mass-appeal. I think a problem with a lot of tech development in general is that techies design things for themselves and not the mass audience they claim to want to use it, and that's why some things never catch on even though there's people that passionately advocate for it.

I do agree with your last point. I guess all I'm saying is that this is not a problem inherent with the technology, but rather a problem resulting from our socioeconomic system, which inherently rewards centralization of power.
    I don't think it's just the socioeconomic system...just speaking from my experience on a small level, I think creators and founders want the security of knowing they can't be forced out of the thing that they poured their heart and soul into. I don't deny that the profit motive is probably a bigger reason, but when I read that Mark Zuckerberg made sure he personally has most of the voting shares in Facebook/Meta, I can sympathize with that side of it too, even if I think Facebook itself is a social abomination.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Harvard Business Review: How to Become a Supercommunicator at Work
    https://hbr.org/2024/02/how-to-become-a-supercommunicator-at-work

The Gist
    Wondering how it is that some people at work form connections with each other without overstepping boundaries, a husband and wife team ran a study that involved strangers talking one-on-one with each other for another. When they followed up, over half of over 300 people involved had tried to connect with their partner after the study, and 35% had done something together. This is the team that came up with the famous 36 questions that lead to love.

But based on this, there were additional studies and research done, and the author of this article wrote a book summarizing it. For people looking to form connections at work, he recommends these strategies:

1) Prepare Beforehand: This can be as simple as thinking up a few topics of conversation beforehand in case the conversation starts to lag. They found that even if that didn't happen and the topics were never used, it reduced anxiety to the point that the conversations went better.

2) Ask Deep Questions: These are questions that make people think, and ultimately reveal things about themselves that wouldn't otherwise come up. These can often be made from routine questions people ask, such as "What's your family like?" rather than "Do you have kids?". 

3) Ask Follow-Up Questions: This not only continues the conversation, but shows the person that you're listening. However, it's important that you include your own thoughts and insights, lest you come off as an interrogator.

Wintermoot's Thoughts
    I haven't been neglecting my studies! It's just that I've been focusing more on training my coding skills to get my skills current, with the aim to eventually create a portfolio site. I'm also keeping an eye out on things about socializing, because I feel like not being good at talking or connecting with people holds me back in so many different parts of my life. Which is where this comes in.

Yes, Wintermoot needs instruction on how to socialize like a normal person. :P

I don't have any profound insights on this one, but it is something I'm keeping in mind and trying to practice. I read that people like when you ask questions because it shows you're interested in who they are, but this is a bit more precise...it makes more sense to ask people what the best part of their day was than to ask how they are, cause you know they're probably going to answer with "fine" and you can't have much of a conversation about that. xD

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2]