Pages: [1]

CANZUK thread

Seroim
  • Former Citizen
  • For those who don't know, there has been some agitation since the UK voted to fuck off from the EU about free movement of goods and people between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and it seems like there has been a resurgence recently.

CANZUK would be a free trade agreement accompanied by the right to live and work in signatory countries for citizens of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK, as well as closer foreign policy ties and greater military cooperation. To wit, see here.

In my opinion, as a Canadian, I don't see a free trade agreement between Canada and AUS/NZ to be that beneficial because of the huge distances involved and the fact that our southern neighbour eats three-quarters of our exports. That being said, with Trump acting like a dickhead over NAFTA, we are in need of diversifying our trade partners, if only to soften the blow somewhat were NAFTA to fall. I don't particularly like FTAs as I view them as a loss of sovereignty, especially if it includes provisions for foreign corporations to sue national governments (there are such provisions in NAFTA which has made Canada the most sued country in the world. Also worthy of note is that no such challenge against the USA has ever succeeded - geez I fucking wonder why guys).

I am, however, much warmer to the free movement of people, especially between 4 countries with close cultural ties, a shared language (except for yours truly and his merry Gallic village I suppose), and similar education standards and economic achievement. All 4 countries would gain ready access to each other's talent pool with minimal fuss about integrating newcomers or making sure diplomas are worth the same. Getting rid of visa and work permit agreements would be amazing.
    4 people like this post: taulover, Laurentus, Arenado, Imaginative Kane
    Seroim
    • The Court Derpster
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]