Pages: [1]

Tiny Houses for the Poor?

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk

• This was an interesting story I watched recently, where the city of Detroit is building tiny homes (houses smaller than 400 feet) for poor people who otherwise couldn't afford a house. The houses are rent to own, meaning they pay $1/month for each square foot, and they are required to attend educational sessions on personal finance once a month. If they meet those requirements after seven years, they'll own their houses outright. So far 7 houses have been built and occupied by families, and the city is planning on building 18 more.

How do you feel about tiny houses for the poor? Or tiny houses in general?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • This is a great idea. People like the idea of tiny houses because it forces you to live simply and not in excess. Since poor people by definition cannot live in excess, it seems like a perfect fit. Poor people are able to live in these snazzy little houses that allow them to finally be able to own a house when they most likely wouldn't ever be able to.
    2 people like this post: Mathyland, taulover

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
  • Yeah, if enough of these were made, it would be a great, affordable way for people to get above the poverty line. It would be a good transition while trying to find a well-paying job, and the personal finance class would be very helpful to those poor people who don't know how to spend their money. Without that, some poor people might try to immediately spend any excess money that comes their way because they think it's a good idea, but in actuality, it's not. $300-$400 per month is definitely not bad, and the houses are sufficient for everyday life, even if they have little storage space.

The only thing is that I don't see how this would be reasonable unless it's a nonprofit that makes these houses (and not much more than 25 are going to be made if it's just nonprofits making them).

They purchased 25 lots for $15,000, which means $600 for each house. Each house costs them $40,000-$50,000. Even taking the cheaper end and the largest size, that would mean the inhabitants are paying $400 per month for a house that cost the organization $40,600. That would take 102 months for them to make a profit, which is 8.5 years. After 7 years, they own their houses outright, like Wintermoot said. So there's no way they could make a profit. And that $40,000-$50,000 per house was with donated supplies and volunteer workers, so they would cost even more usually.

If things were cheaper, this would be a great idea to have a very large amount of these tiny houses throughout the states (and other countries, I guess). Although, it might work if you had to rent for, say, 10 years to own.
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Co-WA Delegate: June 13, 2016-present
    Hufflepuff student: April 9, 2016-present
    House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Citizen: September 6, 2016-present

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 23rd Underhusen - secretary
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

NationStates nation: March 11, 2016-present

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I think the idea is that even if they take an initial loss, the city as a whole will make money in the long run by having people with stable jobs and housing able to pay taxes and stimulate the local economy. We have to remember that these are blighted neighborhoods and people who are able to afford housing aren't going to want to live there...so really, not only are they helping these people directly, they are revitalizing these neighborhoods, probably in the hopes that it'll attract others to them. And if we're going to take a loss in an effort to stimulate the economy and give people decent jobs and wages, I'd rather the money went directly to the people that needed it than giving the money to the rich and having faith in them to provide (trickle-down economics).

I am surprised at how much they cost to build though...I'm wondering if that includes the cost of demolishing old, dilapidated structures that were there before.

As for tiny houses themselves, I've been a fan of them ever since I first heard about them about ten years ago, not only because the houses themselves are neat and the designers find ingenious ways to bring all the amenities of modern living to a small structure, but because it represents a simpler, less materialistic lifestyle. From what I've seen, people who want to live in tiny houses want to focus on experiences and doing things instead of just buying more and more stuff...when you live in a tiny house, you have to make sure the stuff you take with you is the stuff that really matters, because that's about all that will fit. It's a great contrast to the American tradition of buying bigger houses and buying more and more stuff to put in them.

I always thought it'd be awesome to have neighborhoods of tiny houses, perhaps a community neighborhood of friends in tiny houses with some central locations like a market/convenience store and a meeting hall for like gaming and stuff. It's awesome to see at least the neighborhood part become a reality. :D
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover, Mathyland

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Coincidentally, this topic popped up in New Zealand news last night. The earthquakes in Christchurch (2011) still have repercussions, one of those being areas where there's a lot of damaged buildings (the main one being the red zone). Tiny houses are being proposed as a way to make use of the land again as tiny houses don't have foundations, don't impact the ground too much, don't cost too much, and are compact enough to rebuild a community. It's less about the poor and more about revitalizing the area, but it's a thing. Goodness knows we aren't using the land otherwise. =D Aaaaaand once again Elbbsas brings up her country! Sorry all.
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]