Pages: [1] 2

An Underhusen Code Of Conduct? (Citizens Platform Discussion)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Earlier in the last election, a procedural amendment was suggested to clear up rules governing members of the UH and their conduct. Instead, I suggest this: a Code Of Conduct detailing how members of the UH shall conduct themselves and, perhaps, some guidelines on disciplining members who willfully do not follow this code of conduct, though I personally fell like such measures should be avoided.

These would be my suggestions:
    1.) All members of the UH must be mentioned at the beginning of debates and votes by the topic starter.
    2.) All members of the UH are suggested to provide clear reasoning for the reason of their vote.
    3.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with the Citizenry.
    4.) All members of the UH are suggested to be courteous and polite in their dealings with other members of the UH or of the OH.
    5.) All members of the UH must be courteous and polite in their dealings with the ruling Monarch.
    6.) All members of the UH must attempt to engage the citizenry at least once in their terms.

This, so far, are my suggestions. Does anyone else have any ideas they want to pitch in? I'd love to hear it :]
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • Did something happen to prompt this discussion?
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Not necessarily.  It was on our agenda last term in thing such as clarifying reasons behind votes, since we've had important bills pushed through with zero discussion.

North's suggestion is a bit above and beyond what we were initially discussing.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Well, I always suggested an amendment. After some thought, this is what I came up with. And if we are going to put in requirements like explaining votes and mentioning, why not also add a few other things? 3, 4 and 5 are just plain politeness and decency, a bit redundant but nice to codify. 1 and 2 were both the suggestion of Pengu and myself. 6 I put in there in response to something else Pengu was suggesting, attempting to engage the citizenry more. His suggestions of IRC chats and PM'ing the Speaker were great, even if I had a few reservations, this is my little touch.

It's all a bit vague now, yes, but this is just the bare bones and I wanted to gauge the reactions of the rest of the UH before getting into specifics. So, what does everyone think?
    2 people like this post: Michi, Mathyland
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • So, to clarify, my idea is this. Again, this is just my thoughts.

The six Codes of Conduct, namely:
    1.) All members of the UH must be mentioned at the beginning of debates and votes by the topic starter if such a feature exists at the time.
    2.) All members of the UH are suggested to provide clear reasoning for the reason of their vote, defined as any reason to vote in the way they choose in a manner that is clear (posting the reasoning in the same thread as their vote, posting in a manner not meant to obscure the reasoning, like posting in Swahili or Wingdings.) If a member does not provide a reason when they vote, they must provide a reason before the conclusion of the vote or they will have violated this Code of Conduct.
    3.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with the Citizenry in an official capacity, meaning they shall avoid purposefully demeaning, hurtful, vulgar, untrue or obscene statements if they are carrying out duties related to their role in the Underhusen. All conduct outside their role as a member of the Underhusen (posting in an RP or inside the Dumping Grounds as an example) is exempt unless the member specifically mentions their role in the Underhusen.
    4.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with other members of the UH or of the OH in any official capacity. Definition of 'courteous and polite' and 'official capacity' are the same as No.3.
    5.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with the ruling Monarch in any official capacity. Definition of 'courteous and polite' are the same as No.3.
    6.) All members of the UH must attempt to engage the citizenry at least once in their terms. Examples of attempted engagement is posting a thread in the Citizens Corner or engaging a citizen in an official capacity. Announcements of intention to seek re-election or not or campaigning for re-election do not count as engaging the citizenry.

Punishments for breaching the COC shall be thus:
    1.)Friendly reminder
    2.)Official warning
    3.)Barred for re-election for one term
    4.)Removed from office

Guidelines for using punishments:
    1.) It will be illegal to skip a punishment for an offence, such as going straight to Barred for re-election, unless the previous punishments have already been issued for the same breach. For example, it will not be allowed to punish someone for a first time breach for a specific COC, such as No.2, with Punishment No.4 under any circumstance, even if the same member has been issued with punishments 1, 2 and 3 for different breaches.
    2.) The one exception to this rule is a breach of No.6, as such an breach would only be evident at the end of a members term.
    3.)It will not be allowed to issue punishment 3 and 4 for a breach of COC No.1.
    4.)It will not be allowed to issue punishment 4 for a breach of COC No.2.
    5.)The punishment for someone in violation of COC No.6 will automatically be punishment 3.
    6.)Any member may accept punishment or appeal to the Monarch. The Monarch may rescind the punishment, nullifying the punishment and striking it from record, or put a punishment he deems fit to any member for any offense, but only if the offense is appealed.

Now, the big problem. Who shall enforce the rules? My idea is this: create a new position, the Arbiter of the Underhusen.

The Arbiter shall be responsible for enforcing the COC in the Underhusen. They will not, however, be a member of the Underhusen per say, instead being an outside force that does not report to the UH and will not be allowed to debate, propose or vote on legislation. The only time the Arbiter shall be allowed to post in the UH is if a breach of the COC has occurred.

This really is just the bare bones of my idea. There are a bunch of specifics I'm still mulling over, such as weather of not the Arbiter of the Underhusen is actually a good idea, if the punishments section is fair or draconian, or even if the whole idea is worth pursuing. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, so please, tell me what you think :]
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:47:54 PM by North »
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
    3.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with the Citizenry in an official capacity, (...).
    4.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with other members of the UH or of the OH in any official capacity. Definition of 'courteous and polite' and 'official capacity' are the same as No.3.
    5.) All members of the UH shall be courteous and polite in their dealings with the ruling Monarch in any capacity at all. Definition of 'courteous and polite' are the same as No.3.
    Point five bothers me. Why is it phrased as "any capacity at all" instead of "in any official capacity?" Will it apply, say, when members of the UH are playing Werewolf in the same game as the Monarch?
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Fair point, I was intending it to all be 'in any official capacity, I guess I just missed it in the wall of text.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • I'd drop the "at all" from "any official capacity at all." The additional qualifier on point five currently implies that there are instances where 3 and 4 don't apply, in an "the exception that proves the rule" method.

I suppose points where 3 and 4 might not apply when acting in an official capacity are say, when leveling punishment, but that seems pretty sketchy to me.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Agreed.  If you're saying "in any official capacity" then the "at all" at the end is unneeded.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Ok, changed. Anything else?
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Wasn't there a great big harrumph about having a legal system a while back? Seeing as that's been established at least on a nominal basis why make up a new title when it can just be the judiciary's job to enforce it?
    Also in the event of rule 5 being broken, I'd suggest Wintermoot be the enforcer with the judiciary as court of appeal, since that would better prevent any conflicts of interest that might arise from the injured party being the one who any appeal is being brought to.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Wasn't there a great big harrumph about having a legal system a while back? Seeing as that's been established at least on a nominal basis why make up a new title when it can just be the judiciary's job to enforce it?
    Also in the event of rule 5 being broken, I'd suggest Wintermoot be the enforcer with the judiciary as court of appeal, since that would better prevent any conflicts of interest that might arise from the injured party being the one who any appeal is being brought to.
    The issue is that the judiciary arguably and/or probably shouldn't be involved, because this is the Underhusen self-regulating via procedural rules, not imposing laws to be enforced by the government as a whole.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • What he said.

And as for making the Monarch be the enforcer for No.5, if being the appeal for the Breach is a conflict of interest being the one able to level charges most certainly is.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • The difference is that he is the one best able to say someone hasn't been courteous or polite to him in his official capacity.
    I suppose to me it's like having someone decide whether or not to press charges - who better to know than the victim?
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Is the monarch not also a citizen? Just have all citizens be able to lodge a complaint.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2