Pages: [1] 2 ... 8

Post-Catastrophe Nation RP interest/ooc thread (AKA: History of the World 7610 )

Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
  • The East Coast Plague had claimed over 800 million lives in a short period of time from 2015 to 2026. Nations fell apart, cities burned down, families were destroyed, and the world was scarred forever. But humanity went on.

You play as the government and citizens of either a country that didn't fall from the plague, or has emerged from the horrors of the outbreak. It is not the post-catastrophe world envisioned by fiction, with biker warlords, little to no technology, and eternal devastation. By 2033, the world has already recovered significantly from the plague. People can access the internet, drive cars, use smart phones, etc. In some places, it's almost uncannily normal, albeit more as close to normal as such a place can get. However, much of the world is still in anarchy. The world economy is still in shambles. And the people have a long way from recovering from all the trauma they experienced during the plague.

People would like to move on and live normally. As one of the governments of this new and dangerous world, it's what you need to strive for, while accomodating for the harsh realities of the chaos and poverty the plague has brought.

Map

Rules

- Basic RP rules apply
    - Unclaimed territory aren't deserts. People still live there. The Russian military can't rush to annex Korea, and then have the entire population of Korea peacefully submit to Russian rule.
    - Territorial annexation should be 1) realistic 2) have a purpose (ie oil supplies) and 3) realistically handle how the country being annexed would react to annexation in this setting
    - Your government has limited resources. Your military can't be jumping around annexing country to country, unless you want your country to be drained dry of all oil supplies in a month. Your government has finite numbers of food, electricity, oil, etc. Use them wisely.
    - As I said, unclaimed territories aren't deserts. Be mindful of that when considering plopping the entire Ukrainian military to Belarus while millions of Romanians, Russians and Turks are just a quick drive or boatride away from your settlements.
    - Claim realistic. There is no land area or population limit, just be modest and practical in your claims. A country claiming Argentina is acceptable since Argentina is a big but sparsely populated place. But another country claiming the same land area on the US eastern seaboard is unacceptable as it is much more populous. A country claiming southern China with a pop of 300 million is alright as southern China is a very densely populated region but spread over a fairly small area, but claiming all of America isn't, as it's the same population but spread over a very, very large area.
    - No nukes or similarly devastating weapons.
    2 people like this post: Ashton Mercer, Lily Polisesul
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:12:17 AM by Mariam »
    On tumblr at opabinia-regalis.tumblr.com

Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.
    Violet
    Cinciri
  • Former Citizen
  • Adate'lore of Yaim Rusur
  • Ohhhhh I like, is this with IRL nations?
    Cinciri
    • Munit oyacyir te verda be Wintreath!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
  • Ohhhhh I like, is this with IRL nations?
    It's based on IRL. You can choose to do a RL country, RL region, territory of a RL ethnic group, etc. But yeah. I'm personally planning on picking Canada, InshAllah.

Violet
    Cinciri
  • Former Citizen
  • Can I make my claim then? If I can I would like to claim Russia please =)
    Cinciri
    • Munit oyacyir te verda be Wintreath!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
  • Can I make my claim then? If I can I would like to claim Russia please =)
    Hmmm, I'm a bit hesitant to give you that much land and population. You can, but only if yourgovernment only effectively controls Siberia, southern russia and the Volga Federal District (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Federal_District). The rest of Russia is just kind of in chaos in some form or another (I'm not sure what castrophe we're exactly recovering from yet)

Violet
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • Yuh

American Great Lakes Megalopolis region pls.
    1 person likes this post: Lily Polisesul
    « Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 02:27:03 AM by Ashton Mercer »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • Count me in, with South Africa. Better to stick to what I know.
    1 person likes this post: Cinciri
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
  • Count me in, with South Africa. Better to stick to what I know.
    Aw yeah! There was a very severe defecit of African countries in nation RPs back at Ainur.

Yuh

American Great Lakes Megalopolis region pls.
    Noted. But do know that I've claimed all of Canada Make Canada great again eh

Violet
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Interesting. Reminds me of the 1983: Doomsday timeline.
    That's a lot of land too...
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • Noted. But do know that I've claimed all of Canada Make Canada great again eh
    including le Québec libre?
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
    I mean, Nunavut alone makes up 20% of Canada's land area and it has about the population of what would be considered a small town in America. All of Northern Canada is over 3.5 million square kilometers, yet has just under 115,000 inhabitants combined.

Meanwhile, further down south you've got Northern Ontario which only has 730,000 inhabitants, and btw this is what's considered to be "Northern Ontario":

I said in the rules that if somebody claimed all of Argentina, that'd be okay because while it's a big country, it's also very empty. Same rule applies to Canada. It's huge, yeah, but the vast majority of it is just extremely scarcely populated plains, tundra and woodland that's never going to be truly separated from the southern regions of the canada where 80% of the country actually lives.

including le Québec libre?
    Especially Quebec. Although it's probably earned autonomous status now. But then again, who's gonna want a free Quebec when America is a dumpster fire just ready to spread north if the north's weak enough?

Also btw, Canada is gonna want a stable government in Midwest. That means oil exports.
    1 person likes this post: Ashton Mercer
    « Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:22:32 AM by Mariam »

Violet
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    I mean, Nunavut alone makes up 20% of Canada's land area and it has about the population of what would be considered a small town in America. All of Northern Canada is over 3.5 million square kilometers, yet has just under 115,000 inhabitants combined.

Meanwhile, further down south you've got Northern Ontario which only has 730,000 inhabitants, and btw this is what's considered to be "Northern Ontario":

I said in the rules that if somebody claimed all of Argentina, that'd be okay because while it's a big country, it's also very empty. Same rule applies to Canada. It's huge, yeah, but the vast majority of it is just extremely scarcely populated plains, tundra and woodland that's never going to be truly separated from the southern regions of the canada where 80% of the country actually lives.
    Wouldn't populations be small everywhere post-catastrophe though? But I guess they'd still be lower in previously lowly populated areas.

Though depending on the nature of the catastrophe, the smaller population over large land area could be easier or harder to maintain control of...
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Speaking from (very limited) experience with farming in desertous regions, like the Kalahari, you need more farmland for the same amount of cattle than you would in a rain forest with lots of grazing opportunities. For that reason, it would make sense for you to need bigger land if your land is mostly desert, with low populations per square kilometre.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Violet
  • Former Citizen
  • Fabulous Misandrist
  • Okay, I've settled on a plague type catastrophe.

In 2014, a mysterious ancient virus is found by paleontologists in Utah and one of them takes it to New York. The Virus, known as the East Coast Plague, is a particularly sinister virus in that it's early onset symptoms are near identical to the flu. However, it's a temporary state that lasts for about 5 months before the vrus starts attacking the hosts brain, initially presenting itself in a hypomanic episode that most often actually feels like a high, until the virus begins to mature and attack the brain in a more brutal manner, escalating the mental effects into a full stage manic episode with severe delusional thoughts, paranoia, irritability and hyperactivity.

Physically, the virus causes multiple lesions that slowly grow in size and eventually develop into gangrene. Influenza like symptoms continue throughout the duration of the plague and intensify in severity as it gets worse. The disease is primarily spread through coughing.

ECP spreads quickly in New York and through New York is taken to around the world. A year later, doctors begin to notice a peculiar epidemic of people being diagnosed with an aggressive and seemingly incurable influenza and then diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder not long later. ECP is discovered and a pandemic is declared. Patients with advanced ECP are shown to be severely mentally deranged and refusing of medical help or living under qurantine, resulting in numerous ECP patients not submitting themselves to diagnosis or breaking out of containment. By 2016, ECP is declared a global health crisis with over 50,000,000 diagnosed and millions believed to be hiding it from medical practicioners. By 2017, the number of diagnosed reaches to 400,000,000 with an estimated 160,000,000 undiagnosed. Also in 2017, thousands of the earliest victims are confirmed dead due to ECP and public hysteria ensues as the death toll steadily races to 100,000 by the end of the year.

By 2018, states of emergency are declare across the world with the US, Canada, and Western Europe hit particularly hard. Riots broke out in cities with high infection rates due to ECP patients revolting treatment and paranoia of uninfected people that ECP sufferers could be lurking the streets at any time. NYC metro falls under martial law as the death toll climbs to over 5,000,000 and the world economy hits a severe recession.

2019 sees a massive spike in ECP related deaths. The world economy collapses, riots are felt around the globe. Most major cities are now under severe marital law and most countries in general have become more militarized as many uninfected citizens urge governments to utilize force against ECP patients. By 2020, the death toll now stands at over 26,000,000. An estimated 2.7 billion are now infected.

In the early 2020s, some governments allow "restless" ECP patients to be euthanized following strong public demands, driving the death toll significantly. Cure research meanwhile sees significant progress, but by 2024, the death toll has reached to over 230,000,000. It would only be by 2028 that a cure would be reached and by then the death toll was over 400,000,000, and millions wouldn't stop dying of ECP yearly until the early 2030s, which at that point the death toll had risen to over 600,000,000.

The RP starts at 2033. The plague is finally starting to be reversed, but the world has already been destroyed. Because of the nature of ECP, there are still millions of sufferers keeping the plague alive by their insistence, though most people are aware of the symptoms now and shoot to kill. It is speculated that some sufferers have developed an immunity to some of the more advanced symptoms of ECP, becoming almost zombie like madmen roaming the depopulated East Coast. But those are just rumors. Only a handful of pre-outbreak governments have survived. The rest are in various stages of disorder.

The population has been severely traumatized by ECP and the chaos that followed. Most would wish to simply try to rebuild society as it was prior, and governments are more than happy to accomodate that, but getting rid of nearly 20 years of disorder and trauma isn't so simple.
    Wouldn't populations be small everywhere post-catastrophe though? But I guess they'd still be lower in previously lowly populated areas.

Though depending on the nature of the catastrophe, the smaller population over large land area could be easier or harder to maintain control of...
    There's a ton of variables that would exist for that. A large but scarce nation would need more oil to move its supplies across long distances, and it'd also need more stable and reliable pre-catastrophe political infrastructure. But those viarables are too complex for a simple region RP that's probably not gonna stray beyond ten players anyway.
    1 person likes this post: Mathyland

Violet
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I would be interested in this.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them