Pages: 1 [2] 3

Yarn Fest: An Interregional Story Writing Contest

Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Double posting but I don't care. have some fun with this version @Elbbsas I fixed up some choppy bits and filled in a couple gaps. Tell me if you think I need to touch anything else up.

Spoiler
    A young man knelt in the soft and primitive grass to tend to his beloved plants. Carefully, he balanced the soil they grew in; channeling his primal strength to help them grow and evolve. He stood making his way through the twisting paths and sunlit meadows of his gardens. Thousands of miles of trees, flowers, and plants of all shapes grew about him, filled to bursting with the sounds of life. His burning green eyes roamed the landscape seeking out any spot that was suffering. Nothing caught his eyes causing him to smile gently before wandering through the landscape just enjoying nature.

As he walked he felt a vast and powerful presence emerge from behind him. Turning, his smile widened as he greeted the being standing behind him. “Hello Father, I see you brought someone with you.” He knelt, ruffling the golden curls of a young boy before asking him his name.

The little boy shied away by hiding behind the leg of the older, dark haired man. He nudged the child off of his leg as he answered the green-eyed god. “This is Lucifer; my grandfather asked me to watch over the young one, which I unfortunately am unable to do. As I have too much work to do as it is.” He prodded the little boy over to the other god and lovingly patted the boys’ head. “I was hoping you could watch him Nathuri, you have plenty of free time I hope.”

Nathuri cocked an eyebrow at his father. “Are you sure you want me to watch the little one? I do not think I should father. I might just poison him with my ideas and inventions.”

The older god shook his head and fixed his black, star filled eyes on his son. “You will be the best influence on him of all my children. Now I must go, work to be done.” He stepped back vanishing in a swirl of gentle and comforting starlight.

Nathuri looked down to find the golden eyes of Lucifer watching him with a curious yet wary light. He smiled and held out a hand for the little boy to take. “Come Lucifer, my father has entrusted you into my care. I feel that if I am to watch you I might as well teach you something useful.” He waited patiently for Lucifer to take his hand before leading the boy towards a massive tree in the distance. “I feel like we will get along mightily.”

~~~

“Uncle N! Uncle N!” A small voice cried through the gentle breeze. The light padding of small feet was soon head as Lucifer raced out of the garden to the ground at the base of Nathuri’s home. “You have to come see what I found!”

Nathuri rose from where he had been healing a large lizard-like creature. “What is it you feel I must see Luci? This better not be another shiny rock. There are a lot of those here.”

Lucifer shook his head, gesturing for Nathuri to follow him as he broke off to run deeper into the wilderness, only to find himself treading on air as Nathuri levitated him above the ground. He stopped moving and slouched dejectedly as the older god strode closer to him. “C’mon Uncle N, let me show you her. I promise it isn’t a rock this time!”

Nathuri laughed, bemused as he put Lucifer down. “Lead the way,” He said and trotted after the fast moving angel. The boy led him through a few copses of trees before coming to a stop just underneath a tall fern. He waved up at something in the tree and waited a few moments. Soon, a diminutive shape could be seen making its way to the lowest branches where Nathuri could see it. A small but sturdily built creature clung to the tree branch with powerful hands and feet that were covered in thick, leathery skin and thick black fur. It watched Nathuri warily until he touched it with just a small shred of his power, calming it which led to the creature coming out of the tree. The small creature was wrapped in a hug by the golden haired and winged child who had dragged Nathuri over to look at it. The tall, green-eyed god chuckled as he knelt to Lucifer’s level.

“So this is what you wished to show me, an Australopithecus Primus?” Nathuri narrowed his eyes as he looked closer at the small creature. “No, this is Australopithecus Alium, a slightly different species and a little further along the evolutionary path.”

Lucifer rolled his eyes at Nathuri. “As if your official name mattered to me, I’m gonna name it Xifanthala!” He said with bubbling enthusiasm. The older god laughed, patting Lucifer’s head. The young angel squirmed out of Nathuri’s reach as he kept hugging his discovery.

The brown haired god shook his head and rose. “I do not really think that it can understand that name.” Lucifer opened his mouth to speak but Nathuri interrupted him, “No. You cannot keep it. It belongs in nature and must be left alone.”

~~~

Lucifer was lying next to Nathuri, gazing at the stars from the uppermost branches of the massive tree Nathuri called home. They simply watched the sky and enjoyed the gentle touch of the breeze. Nathuri turned his eyes to Lucifer to watch the young angel deep in thought before asking him a question. “What is on your mind Lucifer?”

It took a while before the golden winged boy answered him. “This thought has been nagging at me for a long while now, ever since I found that Australopithecus Alium so many years ago. Why are we the only species that looks like us?” He rolled over slightly to face Nathuri and gave him a confused look. “I mean every other species has something that looks similar to it. Everything except us. Sure we have variations but all of you can have wings if you chose too. I could hide my wings if I chose too.  But what separates us so much from the other species that leaves us alone in appearance?”

Nathuri thought for a bit himself before he responded. “Everything else is and has been evolving since it was first created by Great Grandfather, Grand Father, Father, and I. We designed all other things that way. What truly separates us is what we are made of. Everything else is made of matter; we are made of energy, birthed from the very stuff that forged the universe. That is why we are alone in our makeup. Though we will not always be; that Australopithecus Alium for instance, from it will descend the Homo erectus which will bear some physical similarities to us. From them will descend Homo neanderthalensis, which will exist alongside, and will be eventually wiped out by Homo sapien. Of all creatures that will exist from now and forever more Homo Sapien will be the closest to us in physical appearance.”

Lucifer blinked at Nathuri who smiled as he continued, “At least that is what Brother Chronus says, though I can see in the genetic makeup of Australopithecus Alium that such a path is possible for it. I hope we will both be still around to see that. Long enough to see Homo homini Dei take shape. Though a few hundred million years is a short enough time don’t you think? I feel I can wait that long for my Talcung.”

~~~~

Lucifer walked with a silently fuming Nathuri through a marble hall. The great pillars added an air of majesty to great frescoes painted on the ceiling. Lucifer looked powerful in a suit of resplendent golden armour, adding both grace and a regal air to his every step. His long hair was braided in a fashion similar to Nathuri’s without copying the elder god.

Nathuri wore his usual simple robes. His green eyes ablaze with an angry light. His pace caused Lucifer to trot in order to keep up. He seemed almost unaware of his surroundings until he spoke. “That fancy show piece will not help you out on the battlefield.” he said with barely concealed rage, “They are nothing but a group of fools holed up in shining palaces of marble and granite. Do they not realize the pain and devastation this petty feud will do? Trillions lost, countless more sacrificed all so that they can bicker over who get to do what.”

“Perhaps uncle we should think of it from a different light? Krishna suggested trying to settle this matter with diplomacy. Now every attempt that is tried along that route is blocked. Gaia and Jaxten did not look eager to go to war.” Lucifer said, thinking of ways to pacify his uncle. “You mentioned my armour, perhaps you could make a more functional set?”

Nathuri snorted, “Perhaps? I can. I am one of the Nine. I helped fashion every symbol of power and every fortress from here to the walls of Erebus. I am the Weaponsmith.” He said momentarily distracted. He quickly returned to his original course of thought before Lucifer could push farther. “They want to go to war Luci, I do not think you quite understand what that would mean. I do not think they do either.”

He shook his head, malcontent, “Such devastation on a fledgling universe. They would destroy so many of my gardenworlds if I joined in. That armour will not occur. I will stay lout and so will you. There is no arguing the matter. The rest of the Protogenoi can bite me.”

~~~

Fire lanced across the sky as blazing ships plummeted like meteors to the planet below. The surface of the planet was awash with light as vast swaths of forest burned. The once tall and proud mountains lay broken on the ground. The great tree that Nathuri called home was bent under the weight of a fallen battleship. Nathuri himself stumbled wide eyed through the wreckage of the world he had tried so hard to cultivate. He could not fathom that the quickly expanding God War had set foot upon his dominions.

Far above Nathuri, Lucifer raced through the sky on golden wings. He sliced down aircraft and other bewinged warriors. The young angel was quick and powerful but even he knew it was a losing battle. His strength meant nothing if the enemy gods could fight unobstructed. For nothing restrained them, not even a ghost of Nathuri’s power.

Then everything came to a standstill. Nothing moved as if time itself was deciding how this was going to play out. In a rush everything unfroze. A wall of power struck and incinerated warships and gods with frightening ease. Lucifer knew in that instant that Nathuri had gotten over his shock. He was enraged. Unlike these minor gods and titans that warred in the sky, Nathuri was a Protogenoi. He was a child of Chaos. He was birthed of the same stuff as the fabric of reality, as such he was immensely powerful. Very quickly the few survivors of the warring sides fled. Soon Lucifer no longer shared the sky while the world below pulsed with anger.

Within mere days had Nathuri formally declared war on the Place-Of-No-Stars. His rage drove him to genetically engineer an army within two hundred years, a time span that meant nothing to gods. He built an army that would not be easy to best. He himself fashioned armor and weapons that had never been seen before and he intended to use them on his foes. The enemy had awoken a sleeping dragon. One that was not going to be easy to put back to sleep.

~~~

Nathuri waded through a blood choked swamp. His dark grey armour seemed to repel the liquid. He held in one hand a heavy rifle and a comm unit in his other. Scanning the dense trees he answered the quietly beeping comm. “How fares orbit Lucifer?” he said with a small grin on his face.

“Better. Thunari went into full retreat just now. In a few minutes I’ll be able to relieve you and the First Legion.” Lucifer responded. In the background Nathuri could hear the noise of the bridge crew aboard the Forgiving Maiden.

“Well hurry up. The Dark Elves are everywhere.” he said. A sound snapped his attention towards a group of elves. He swung his rifle into position in a fluid motion. Loosing off a few bolts of white hot energy he rushed forwards. The elves returned fire and screamed as Nathuri crashed into them. His armour lit up with bright green energy that spat out arcing bolts of lightning.

The god made short work of the dark elves as the trees started to shake. He looked up to see a gunship hovering over his head. It lowered itself until the boarding ramp was level with Nathuri. He hauled himself aboard and was greeted by an armoured soldier with the livery of the Second Legion. The soldier of the Glorious Wolves helped the god inside before strapping down. The ramp closed as the craft sped upwards, away from the ruined surface of Ilfusan. Nathuri closed his eyes. He sighed quietly as the world burned behind him. He could feel around him the constant pressure of hatred and death.

The soldier notified him the  moment the drew close the hangers aboard the Forgiving Maiden.  The moment he stepped off he noticed the amount of injured soldiers as well as felt the breeches in its hull. He quickly made his way to the bridge where he found a gaping hole in the side of the armor plating. The hole was held shut by a shimmering wall of golden light. Standing nearby was Lucifer. His golden hair was disheveled with bits of metal sparkling in it. He turned his tired eyes to Nathuri and smiled.

“Hey Uncle, how was the surface?”

“Hell.”

Lucifer raised an eyebrow and gave a small chuckle. “I don’t think Malthuri would appreciate that comment.”

Nathuri shrugged as he bent the matter of reality to fix the breach. “My brother knows just how bad his Hellforges are. Ilfusan is nothing in true comparison. It is a figure of speech.” The old god said.

The golden haired angel turned his face back to the expanse of space where arrayed around them was a fleet vaster than anything ever seen. Among the fleet were forty shared insignias with hundreds of thousands of minor insignias denoting chapters. For this was the first and only time the full might of the Forty Legions of the Dawn Wolves were in one place at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~

The ringing sounds of motorized forge hammers fought with the deep bellowing of furnaces. Fire and steam clouded the air in the massive forge complex. Here was one of the few places Nathuri truly felt at home. Standing at his forge and fashioning something unimaginably powerful. Here he had devised the vast constructs known as Heaven Eaters during the first war. In the second war he had unleashed the wrath of his God-blade Kramdos dyn Seyrfn, the Eternal End. A weapon so powerful reality twisted and coiled when it was unsheathed. Here he had split it into the Earth Cleaver and the Devil’s Hammer during the third war. In the twisted bouts of the fourth war he had created the oblivion pattern rifles, bringing about an even higher number of casualties than than ever before. Breaking the long standing sieges of Galaxy’s End and the Dawn Keep.

And now here in the fifth war he was building a suit of armour and a massive halberd for Lucifer. A formidable arsenal he hoped would give his beloved nephew a bit more of an edge on the battlefields against other Protogenoi. Soon Nathuri thought, the wars would be over and at long last there would be a lasting peace in the Heavens. For nearly a billion years the gods had warred in five long wars for dominion. Both sides were running out of troops and commanders. Nathuri intended to make Lucifer able to contend with even a Second Divine. Beings of the same magnitude as Chaos and Death.

~~~

“The God Wars are long over Lucifer, why do you march out again? Im certain this War-of-The-Heavenly-Peals does not need a seasoned general with an army like yours.” Nathuri said as he watched the titanic cargo ships lift off and carry supplies up to the thick silvery band that formed the lower Orbital Shipyards. Beyond it lay two more concentric circles that formed the three Shipyards of the Dawn Forge. Vast construction yards with an output able to drown out entire star systems worth of forges.

Lucifer stood slightly behind him wearing the deep red armor his uncle had forged him nearly three million years prior. He took a step forward and rested a hand on Nathuri’s shoulder. “I know, but there is a surviving Dark Titan out there. I’m the only one outside of the Protogenoi who can take them. I intend to finish them off and end the dark legacy of the Wars.”

“Then make sure you do it quick Luci, I don’t have the time to wait around for you to get back. I need to test several of my new inventions soon. I think even Father Chaos will like these ones.”

~~~

Thirty thousand years after the War-Of-The-Heavenly-Peals did the War for Heaven occur.

A thunderous roar shook the ground as an army assailed the walls of Heaven. What few soldiers that were left of the worn out and embattled Ninth and Thirty-fourth Legions held the walls. The Infinite Wolves and the Wolves Sanguine had been worn down to the dregs of their force. The thunder of artillery shook the walls as they pounded away at the gates of Heaven.

With an earsplitting crack the gatehouse gave out and crumble to the ground. What troops were left rushed to fill the breach with their own bodies as the combined might of seven of their sister legions marched against them. For Lucifer had declared war upon Yahweh and intended to kill him.

The two sides clashed in bitter conflict as brothers fought each other. The tide stemmed as the soldiers of the Fourteenth Legion turned and joined the defense. The Wolves Adamant rallied to the banner of their Dominus Praetorianum as he crossed blades with Lucifer himself. Locked in vicious battle neither saw the ancient god standing far off watching them.

Nathuri watched as one of his beloved sons tried to hold off his beloved nephew. He knew that Adamandriel was no match for Lucifer in a contest of divine power but could hold his own physically. The Dominus Praetorianum managed to hold Lucifer in check until Michael arrived with the full might of the Heavenly Hosts at his back. The golden angel tried to pull his forces out but found their retreat halted by the arrival of ten of the other legions.

Lucifer surrendered and was given his punishment swiftly. He was cast from the realms of the divine and confined to dwell on Earth so long as Nathuri would act as his Guardian. The six legions that remained with Lucifer to the end were given into the rule of Malthuri, the Lord of the Hellforges and undisputed Chair of the Council of Devils. Adamandriel and his angelic soldiers were assigned to some of the most dangerous war zones as peacekeepers. Their punishment was deemed to be one of atonement and not of extreme suffering as given to the other Legions.

Nathuri however chose to give some freedom to Lucifer. He allowed him to enter Purgatory and judge the dead. In time the golden angel rescinded his declaration of war. Eventually he retired to a quiet vacation home in the Bahamas where Nathuri and Talcung occasionally visit him.
    2 people like this post: Aethelia, Elbbsas
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • The clarity has improved immensely! I enjoyed reading it. But, I am not going to make any more comments.

...I may later, when the submission deadline passes by. It's not really fair otherwise, you know?
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I got this message about Yarn-Fest...one of the judges went inactive, but hopefully we should get results soon. :)

I apologize deeply for this. It is taking a while to consolidate the results from the other judge for Yarn-Fest. Usually he is extremely active, but he has been weirdly inactive the last few days. I have urgently prompted him to get his results to me ASAP, he has yet to respond. This was something I did not foresee. I will get them as quickly as possible.
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • I hope so. My crappy day job can only distract me for so long.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Scores have been released! You can read them here!.

Specific to Wintreath though, congrats to @Gattoartico for placing fifth, and to @Elbbsas for WINNING the contest! Seems the proof is out there...we have some (NS) world-class writers here on our humble writing area. :D
    3 people like this post: Fortis Scriptor, taulover, Elbbsas

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Congrats, Gatto and Elbbsas!
    2 people like this post: Fortis Scriptor, Elbbsas
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Congrats, guys!
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Nice work, Gatto! And thanks, guys.

I'll post the formatted version of mine later today. NS telegrams don't let you copy the formatting easy.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Fortis Scriptor
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
  • Congratulations you two, good job!

Edit: To be honest, when I read the scores, my first thought was that I really wanted to read #8's story to see why he got a grammar score of 0.5.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Fortis Scriptor
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:37:37 PM by Blue Mones »
    Red Mones
    • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • my gift to you
    #8's Story
    like that my nation is secretly controlled by a most glorious agent smith who was born outside our universe and began life as a giant immortal mutant cockroach, grew up in a volcano before time began, subsists on planets made of alcohol and food cooked on the sun who only kneels before our almighty god- the breakdancing avatar of michael jackson who bestowed all the knowledge we ever had through his only son- Papa Johns Pizza

oh and people who want to read the other yarns, they're all here
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover, Red Mones
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:46:18 PM by Doc »
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • I noticed my submission wasn't even mentioned. It followed the rules. :-/
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle

Emoticonius
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
    Did you send it to both judges? I know one went inactive, so if you only sent it to that one that could explain it.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
    Did you send it to both judges? I know one went inactive, so if you only sent it to that one that could explain it.
    I did indeed send it to both.

Emoticonius
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • What nation did you send it from? I'll ask around about it.
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Here's mine, with the italics intact. Bloody blood I forgot how long this was.
    Plunge

Shot … see the bandage? … look … who did it?

We don't know … we will.

Your luck … my luck … your luck lost.

Wake up … the woods are lovely, dark, and deep … don't want to … who shot me? … we don't know … we don't know … right, we've said that before, mate.

Laughing hurts the stitches … the stitches aren't … no, don't pull at … stop … when did you get here?

What happened? Shot. Shot, shot, shot, stop losing that … why does that sound familiar? … told you, told you … heard you, heard you … don't let it fade again.

Please why is this happening stop it … spirits … it hurts it hurts it hurts stop--!

It's dragging you away … don't let it … but I have promises to keep … can I show you something sure what is it oh wow … it's good to make you smile smile at what?

Why is there a bandage? … shot … we're trying, we're trying, please … you're allowed to cry now, just make sure you find your smile again … why is there a bandage? … arrrgh, Jay! How many times … how many times have you told me?

We will find who did this to you, I promise … remember this … we will find him, we will … we will bring him to justice … no matter what happens, we will find who did this to you … miles to go before I sleep ... we're looking for him right now.

I'll look after her … you need to remember this … she’ll be ok … I'll look after her … we both will … remember this.

I love you … don't forget that … I love you too.

Don't forget them … don't forget them … don't forget … don't.

…A miracle is….

….

….

He was cold.

There was a pressure all along his side, pressing, it felt like he was sinking into it, like it was sinking into him. Unrelentingly it pressed and bit by bit he could feel the rises and falls under his arm, his side, his leg. He was half curled, he realised, bit by bit. The pressure was along his cheek too. The pressure was along his side too. He felt like he was sinking, into it. Sinking. There was a pressure all along his side, mirroring the other side, both sides, all sides.

He clawed at the pressure. His head tilted back, a groan pried free of his teeth and startled his ears. Startled into life they leapt and screamed at him. He heard water fall in echoes, water fall in echoes, his breathing sharp and ragged, rumbles sound in the distance, a sudden squeak of metal brakes and horns, he heard them all in echoes.

Like sound was an electric shock his body jump started into shivers and quakes. Cold, cold, cold ice poured down his limbs into his bones across every cell and never stopped. He gasped. The cold seeped into his lungs in that rush of air, but he felt alive. It pulled-- pushed-- pulled him away from the empty pressure at his sides. Not empty.

Again, again, he forced air into his lungs, the sound grated against his ears, but he did it anyway and he forced his eyes open. They fought back. Nails hammered them shut but he had to pull them free. Blurry grey flickered in a line then faded, then flickered, then faded. Spiraling orbs -- strange hexagons, octagons, and more besides -- caught and twitched among the grey. Light. Colour. Colour in yellows, blues, greens, and whites. The sight felt wet. It was a watery sight that he had to see, he had to, see, it was right there.

In the dark of his eyelids splotches of expanding purple and green pulsed, but it was black at the same time, only being banished whenever he managed to pull his eyelids partially apart. Electricity danced at his fingertips, or was that at the rising ache of the pressure at his side? His head rolled and his chin tucked into the ground. He felt the rough surface scrape against skin. Blurry grey widened and he could make out vague eddies and dips in the grey surface below him. He latched to one hill and held it. He couldn't let go. He saw it, it was there, it was real, and he could open his eyes.

Stop drowning. Teeth ground together, a hiss like a oxygen tank broke free. Focus, focus, and he swung his weight backwards. A thump reached his ears, echoed through the pressure rolling from side to back, and he couldn't stop the exhausted huff that left him. Far above, far ahead, a white glow was fixed to a grey backdrop. Clouds, sunlight. Gravity was stronger than the nails, or maybe he had just broken through the stitches tying his eyelids together. He was awake.

He felt….

Shivering, he tried to sit up. The world swung and blurred around him and he found himself right back on his back, now with a sting of impact against his shoulder blades.

A pained wheeze stung him, more startled than true. The sting faded quickly. The fall had been braced by short distances and fabric working in tandem. Slowly, slowly, he rolled himself into a sitting position, kept barely propped up with his hands. Bit by bit he steadied, though the shivering kept casting aside his balance. He eventually tried removing one hand, then the other. He held upright. Thank goodness. He scrubbed at his eyes to clear the water, blinking hard enough for spots to curl across his vision.

Car park, he thought. He blinked rapidly, then took in the cars in their two dimensional pens all in their neat rows. Sharp reflections caught and stung at his eyes and left splotches where he looked. Streetlights, off now. A street further away, a road with cars roaring back, forth, back. Buildings loomed down at him, shrinking him, from nearly every side. He had to crane his neck to find their tops. Car park. This is a car park. The thought sluggishly rolled from one side of his skull to the other, half heartedly cross referencing into dust.

No one was around as he dragged himself into a crouch, then onto his feet. The shivering had dissolved into solitary shudders. They only appeared randomly, with gaps in between that didn't give him the pleasure of a timetable. He adjusted, braced from them, prepared for them, and then had to scramble to grasp at the side of a car before shivers could throw him to the concrete.

He felt cold. His bones were chilled ice, the weak sun barely melting him.

Cautiously he stumbled his way from the carpark to the footpath surrounding it. Objects in the distance seemed fuzzy. The cars nearby felt like his eyes were imagining them rightwards of where they were. It was disorientating. His footsteps felt loud, though they were muffled by the cars shrieking in the road.

When he hit the footpath he was thankful that his balance was back. He could walk. He was walking, one step, two, and he was going to walk without falling over.

The sound of cars jumped closer.

He blinked rapidly and pressed himself against a building’s wall. It felt wet at his back. He felt dizzy again. Where was he? A car shot past the footpath and he blinked again.

Wasn't he in a car park? He shook his head slowly, feeling the weight of a headache roll from side to side. A gaggle of teenagers strode past, giggling and laughing to one another, but before he could look up at them they had crossed the road and were a million miles away.

Something felt… something was wrong. What was wrong? Work it out, he had to work it out, he had promises to keep… didn't he?

When he shook his head again, the roll of the headache was too swift. It hurt. He pushed off the wall and kept walking, kept searching.

Searching?

He paused again and the crowd parted around him. Some turned up their noses, others were too busy to care. What was he searching for? He thumbed his chin and got out of the crowds’ way. There was an archway into a park and he slipped inside.

He stalled again. Why had he stopped walking? Was there something in the park? There were rivers and trees and grass and someone walking their dog, but nothing like what he was looking for. Looking for? What was he….

Something was wrong, here. What was wrong?

Ugh, his head hurt. What was going on, what was wrong with him? There was something wrong, he was sure of it. His legs felt like they were seizing up on him, so he found a bench and sat. His legs swung in the freezing air. That was wrong.

Huh? Why was that wrong?

He scanned the park around him. The dog and the man were gone. He couldn't recall what way they were walking, but they must have vanished into the trees or slipped out of the park. With a sinking rock in his stomach, he realised he couldn't recall which way he'd come from either.

He should go back to the carpark. How long had it been since he woke up? Which way had he come from?

How did he get to that carpark in the first place?

His head hurt.

He absently ran his hand through his hair. It didn't feel like a head injury, and he couldn't feel blood stiffening his hair. But if he had been bleeding, someone would have stopped him as he walked. He should go back to the carpark, somehow. Someone had to be looking for him--

The park was empty. Wind curled the grass around him, and for a moment he couldn't breathe.

He needed help.

Something was wrong with him.

He passed out of the park without a second thought. Think, think, think, find something, anything, and get back to that carpark. Retrace steps. Something might be there, something might be there to help him work out what was wrong, other than everything.

Which way was the car park? There had to be a landmark he could find. Once oriented, he could find it. He could find a clue. He couldn't rest until he found the answer. Maybe a car hit him, and all the dizzy feelings were from that impact?

Maybe.

Which way to go?

He stopped walking.

Which way was the park?

‘Not again,’ he groaned. Nobody heard him, or nobody cared. They were too buried in their hurry, their race from point A to B and need to draw ruler-sharp lines between.

What he needed was a landmark. He needed something big enough to keep himself oriented from a distance, no matter how far he went. He seized the thought and held it. He had a plan. He just had to remember it this time. What would work as a landmark? Instinctively he looked up.

The sun wasn't going to work. It was behind too many clouds. Many of the buildings looked identical from memory, so even if he picked one of those he wouldn't be able to remember which it was.

He just had to pick a direction, then keep walking until he found a unique building.

That wouldn't be too difficult, if he stopped forgetting which way he had been walking each time he stopped. His head swiveled. Streetlights hung far above, extinguished. All around were the rhythmic thudding of footsteps, which never paused but parted around him.

He should have stayed in the park and checked through each exit.

Again, he walked. And he walked. Walking.

Walked, until he stopped.

Towering from around the corner were several buildings, shorter but spread and sprawling. Between buildings were several car parks. It wasn't the large network he had woken in, but small cubbies meant for two or three at once. The tone of the crowd was... different. There were less worries about moving from point to point, and he could see backpacks casually slung on backs. Above the doors of one building were words: Oak Ridge University.

This place would work! It worked better than wandering the city again. He could find a library and find a map, or a computer with a map. Then once he had his hands on a map, he could find the car park by retracing… oh, right. The problem was he couldn't remember where his steps were, so he couldn't retrace them.

No, he should look for a map anyway. It was a step in the right direction.

The crowds seemed to be thinning as he waited. He lingered by the doors until a large group sauntered their way inside, then slipped in after them. His attempt at sneaking failed as a few sniggered down at him, then quickened their pace and left him behind.

Somewhere, a door slammed shut.

The thinning crowds thinned into nothingness. On one wall, he spotted a clock. A few minutes past eleven. If this was a university, the students must be going to their classes. What was he doing…? Map! He paused by a wall, trying not to grab for it. Map. He was going to the library to find a map so he could… so he could… car park? Something about a car park. Where was the library? It could be anywhere.

He needed a map to find the library to find a map to find somewhere. So long as he didn't forget even more of that plan, he would be fine.

The problem he found was that he couldn’t find the first map. The university halls were completely deserted. Any footsteps he heard were muffled and distant, with the bare warnings of doors blocking their way. He kept checking the walls. No map appeared, but he did see several hundred advertisements in loud colours declaring this thing and that.

300 or History? Debate Every Week @ 201 010G! 5PM Every Thursday! | FOR SALE: One (1) Toyota Mini | Pool 1 closed for maintenance; direct inquiries to Paul Noodle. | We Send Employers To You! Sign up for the Employee's Initiative TODAY. | 300 or History? | We Send Employers To You! | Wanted: Participants for a Psychology Study. Win: $100 gift voucher. Contact for details. | We Send Employers To You! | FOR SALE: One (1) Toyota Mini | Save for the things you love -- get student discounts for transport. | 300 or History? | We Send Employers To You!

The repetition was unsettling. If he saw one more gaudy rainbow poster telling him about employers, he was going to find a shredder.

What do you know, he laid eyes on one faster than being plowed by a car. He crossed to the wall and tried to tear it down. No luck, he needed to be another hand taller to reach the ugly wannabe light show--

‘Are you alright?’

Startled, he jumped back from the wall and shoved his hands in his pockets. No, sir, he was not doing anything to the posters. Behind him, there was a man. Tall, just like everyone, pushing some sort of cart in front of him. The cart was covered in a white sheet, so he couldn't work out what it was.

The man wore glasses, and he adjusted them as he peered downwards. ‘I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you,’ he said. The man wasn't quite looking at him. He was looking beyond, down the hall stretched by endless repetition. ‘Ah, are your parents anywhere around?’

He… parents?

Never mind how his legs not touching the ground had felt weird -- that was wrong. He just had to work out why.

‘I'm, I'm Walter,’ the man said. He was smiling, but it felt like a performance. ‘...This is the part where you introduce yourself?’

He didn't say a word.

‘Never mind then. Stranger danger? Right, um….’ Walter looked to the cart, then pushed it against the wall. ‘Stay,’ he told it, then abandoned it and made his way to him.

Walter wore a tweed jacket, a bright blue tie nestled among it, and he only noticed that because he had a hand-sized button pinned to it. It was also bright blue, with a lopsided pink heart in the middle. It didn't fit at all with the rest of Walter. He didn't seem to notice his stare.

‘Could you come with me, please? I mean, ah--’ He glanced down the hall ‘--If your parents are right around the corner I'd like to just, ah, lead you back to them. But if you’re actually lost and they're nowhere then I really don't want to leave you here?’ As if they were weights, the more words Walter spoke the more Walter’s shoulders hunched. ‘Are your parents here?’

‘No?’ he said.

Walter muttered, ‘Definitely shouldn't leave. Could you come with me, just a little way? There's an office with a chair, and there are some windows facing the student parking so you can give a shout if you see your parents?’

It was a tempting offer. The thoughts raced and bobbed around his head like a dolphin at a zoo. On one hand, he could refuse and keep looking for the library or a map to the library. But Walter wouldn't likely leave. On the other hand, he could go to this office. If on the way he saw a map, he could try remember where it is… but with his memory, he might take a wrong turn. He might find something to help in the office itself. Plus there was a car park. Maybe that could jog his memory.

Wait, wasn't he trying to find the car park so he could find help? This was help. Wasn't it? No, wasn't it to try find out what happened…? He was confusing himself.

Walter led the way down the hall. No maps lept into view. It wasn't long before Walter opened a door and stepped in, holding it open so it wouldn't snap shut on him.

‘Hey, Helen,’ Walter said.

It was cluttered. There were two desks, with a narrow window on one wall, and papers stacked on both desks and the windowsill. Between two stacks, a narrow and rat-like face peered back at them.

‘Falls, what the hell are you wearing?’ she said.

Walter beamed. ‘Clothes?’

‘You know that wasn't what I was talking about. Is that-- even the paint’s still wet!’

He made his way to the window. There were boxes as high as his waist, each filled with even more paper. Some looked half shredded from the force of their printing, be it ink or pen. Out the window, there was a car park. Cars like giant beetles lay in their rows, and it wasn't the car park he had woken in. At least, he thought it wasn't.

‘I see, you mean this?’ Walter was saying. ‘Dawn painted it this morning. She's going to be an artist when she grows up, I just know it.’

Helen snorted.

‘Ok, be an ah-- bad person. Could you do something for me?’

Their voices lowered as he leaned his arms on the stack of paper, watching the cars below. Most were statues. As he watched, one car pulled in. It was bright red against the sea of cool greys, with sunflowers in the windows.

He could catch a few words from the conversation behind him. Police, wait, find, search. He couldn't tell if he wasn't hearing them, or wasn't remembering them.

This car park wasn't helping. He should've kept looking for the lib--

Where did Walter go?

The office’s other occupants had been smoothly sliced in half. Helen he could hear, a pen scratching away behind the towers of paper and occasional whipsy breath. The rest of the office was deserted, and there wasn't a single computer in sight. No luck getting a map off of one. He glanced at the carpark. Nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

He unclasped his hands. He wrinkled his nose -- nervous sweat was making fingers stick and slide against one another.

The towers worked in his favour, as they neatly hid any movements from the corners of Helen’s eyes. He took it slow. He waited, making sure that he was below Helen’s line of sight, and then just like that slipped out the door.

That was easy enough. He pulled the door to behind him and set off down the corridor. Right. Which way was… was….

Wait, why did he do that? He trawled backwards like a bear, rummaging through his memories and tossing them in every direction. What made his decision? He recalled the time before, the time doing, the time after, but the “why” was melted away in the fog of memory.

Officially, his memory was a sieve.

And he had kept walking and the office was out of his line of sight. Well done, him, for doing the exact thing that made him lose the car park and the grass park in the first place. Truly, he was the epitome of the human race.

The endlessly repeating advertisements were not helping matters. He paused. A door was open a crack, just like he had left the office door. He sighed. Thank goodness, he had accidentally given himself a landmark.

Bad feeling the first came when he had to dig in his heels to push the door open. The office door hadn't been weighted. The thought crossed his mind a second too late, then his foot struck something and he yelped.

The world spun around him and threw him to the floor. His chin hit something solid. The door clicked shut. That was bad feeling the second.

It wasn't the office.

The room was all shadows and a vague, waverly light. Benches rose into the tall roof, spreading backwards, and he recognised them as bleachers. Indoor bleachers? They were facing a large window, and from the floor it looked like a perfectly clear sky pressed to the glass.

Behind him, abandoned on the floor, was a wedge. He had tripped on that.

Rubbing his chin, he used the nearest bench to help him stand. It stung under his fingers, but he couldn't feel any torn skin or wet ooze. Even the sting was fading with time. He could see long lights on the ceiling, but none were on. The only light came from out the window.

The window faced into a pool.

A good few metres above the top of the window, the surface of the water waved. The light danced through the waters and caused odd patterns to flex and curl in the walls of the room. The floor of the pool was level with the floor of the room. He could even press his head to the glass and see the pool length extend into the distance. The dark blue “T” line of the lanes stretched into the water’s fog. If there were swimmers, he would have had a perfect view. As it was, both pool and room were empty.

All in all, an interesting diversion. He reached up to the door handle and pulled it open.

...And pulled it open.

Open.

Oh dear.

The wedge looked innocently up at him. At least he knew why the door was open a crack.

No matter! On the other side of the bleachers there was another door, so all he had to do was--

--feel crushing disappointment.

Beside the door, at about double his height, there was a keypad. There was also a card reader beside it. He wasn't getting out through either door. And, the dark wasn't hiding any trap doors or hidden panels, there was just darkness and the pool. He was stuck.

Looking on the silver lining, he wasn't going to get himself lost again. There were loose chairs as well as the benches, and he pulled one next to the door to wait. People had to be using the room. Why else would they keep the door open? He just had to wait for them to open it, and then ask them where the library was.

Oh! He had left the office to find a bathroom and wash his face. He let his head hit the wall. He needed a pen. If he wrote things down, maybe he would stop forgetting what he was doing.

11:58

Directly above him, there was a clock. Nearly twelve. He had to lean forward to see it, but see it he did. That meant he had been here for what, an hour now? It hadn't felt like an hour. But his memory had more holes than a broken teapot. It clearly wasn't fit for purpose. Was there a money back guarantee for me--

Movement.

11:59

A shape had plunged into the water.

Shadows thrashed through a curtain of bubbles. Like a curtain they rose. A hand, an arm, a face screwed up and struggling, emerged. They dropped quickly. They dropped downwards. They dropped inevitably. He didn't hear a sound, but saw when the shape hit the pool floor. The remaining bubbles splayed and played outwards. Rising, they revealed the shape.

Chains were wrapped around their arms. Chains were lashed around their waist. Chains were choking them, and the second the sight registered he screamed.

He grabbed the chair. It hurt. The window! That was the quickest, that was easiest, all he had to do was get through it--!

BANG!

The world tumbled. He tumbled. The chair, himself, everything was felled in moments and he reeled. The room was too warm. He stood too fast but he could feel the earth spinning, throwing him instead of the chair off balance. The force of his throw, surely, surely something--!

12:00

No, not even a dent. Get it again, get it again. This time he kept hold of it and slammed the seat into the glass. Sharp. His arms screamed. His hands howled. Get it again! Use the corner, hit it, do something!

The person was grasping, yanking at the chains, eyes screwed shut. Their legs planted like trees, yet they failed to lever themselves upward. Little flecks of pink drifted in the water. Brown looked like black from the wet.

12:01

It wasn't working. No matter how hard he hit the window, no spiderweb cracks appeared.

He dropped the chair. It was loud when it crashed but he ignored it. It was loud when he crashed into the door.

‘Help! Someone, someone’s drowning!’ he screamed. His throat tore. He slammed his fist into the door. Twice. Thrice. Again, again. He kept screaming, someone, anyone, go into the pool, save him.

12:02

Nothing, nothing. The other door was like running into a wall, and surely the sound was loud enough for someone to notice.

‘Please!’

12:03

Again, the chair, the chair, he bashed it into the door. He wasn't even sure what he was saying. It didn't matter. What mattered was the sound. What mattered was someone hearing and helping.

12:04

Maybe running the other way--?!

12:05

Battered and bruised, black and blue, but he had to! Someone had to help! Someone had to--

The chair was in the way.

The floor was in his face.

12:06

He gasped. The impact had knocked the air out of him. The air… dammit, dammit. He grabbed it again, ready to throw.

Oh.

Fresh screams faded before one could form.

They had worked an arm free of the chains and it now hung loose. It was raised as if grasping for an invisible ladder. As he watched it sunk and all too soon it was resting on the pool floor.

The man’s face had gone slack. Water swayed his jacket, but the chains kept it pinned to him. They were a coil of rope. The man had fallen backwards. His head had rolled to the side, blankly gazing with slack eyelids. The paint had flaked off the blue button. His glasses were gone and his eyes were too small.

Walter was dead.

Emoticonius, when did you submit yours? I don't think they ever stated a time, so maybe that's why?
    2 people like this post: taulover, Gerrick
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3