Pages: 1 2 [3]

Ask Elbbsas Anything!

Imaginative Kane
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
  • Did you vote in the poll that the kereru won so that the kereru would be voted bird of the year in New Zealand?
    Peace through Power!!!
    One Vision, One Purpose!!!!!!!!!
    Oldies are goodies.
    Travel the world
    Orca.
    Meow

Let us not repeat the mistakes of history.

Now tell me.  What do you see?
    Imaginative Kane
    • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
    • Young pessimistic technologically challenged somewhat ignorant animal and especially cat loving idiot.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His/It/Its/Their
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Nah, I'm team kea all the way. Got the t-shirt and everything. But, the fat pigeon won far and square, and the kea won last year anyway.
    2 people like this post: Imaginative Kane, taulover
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Imaginative Kane
  • Citizen
  • What is your favorite non kiwi bird?
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Peace through Power!!!
    Oldies are goodies.
    Travel the world
    Orca.
    Meow

Imaginative Kane
    • Young pessimistic technologically challenged somewhat ignorant animal and especially cat loving idiot.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His/It/Its/Their
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • The kea? I just sa-- ohhhhh, non Kiwi bird, sorry. The western yellow robin. I'm fond of robins in general, and yellow has successfully become my favourite colour, and that particular robin is adorable. Also, it's Aussie.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Dani
  • Former Citizen
  • of the Warring Blood Clan Bastet
  • Hallo there!
    I thought I'd return the favor and respond to your ama.  Feel free to flesh apart my questions if you feel like it.  Or don't, if that is more your thing.
    3 questions for 3 questions
    1. Which way is magnetic North at the geological North Pole?
    2. What do you dream about?
    3. Why do you think Red Mones called you in to ask me questions? (I also note Mathy also wanted to see what you would ask)
    1 person likes this post: Red Mones
    Wintreath's Deadest
    xoxo
    Dani
    • of the Warring Blood Clan Bastet
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      it/its
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Hallo there!
    I thought I'd return the favor and respond to your ama.  Feel free to flesh apart my questions if you feel like it.  Or don't, if that is more your thing.
    3 questions for 3 questions
    1. Which way is magnetic North at the geological North Pole?
    2. What do you dream about?
    3. Why do you think Red Mones called you in to ask me questions? (I also note Mathy also wanted to see what you would ask)

First question? Down. Er, though I don't actually know how magnets work, so, "down" is just a blasé answer. But who knows! It might be right.

Now, to copy your humour. I could assume by "dream" you mean literally what I experience when I fall unconscious for eight hours (if lucky) per night. In that case, I've been lucky recently that my brain lets me remember my dreams, mostly. They're usually quite narrative-based, and the few time the "narrative" doesn't make cohesive sense, the dream outright acknowledges the failing. Fun times, in other words.

But focusing on dreams in terms of goals, my modest goal is to write a piece of fiction. My setting, my characters, my tale. My extravagant, far-fetched, and unlikely goal is to write something good enough to get a page on TVTropes. It's never going to happen, but it's fun to have a dream.

As for the questions? That is because a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I started posting the same set of three questions whenever someone made an AMA thread. They're a nice default set of questions, and not only is the content of the provided answers illuminating, but the way they answer them can be interesting. And since I give the same questions over and over, well, people notice.

...Speaking of which, I'm noticing that I've lapsed in asking my questions three, so I'd better fix that.
    2 people like this post: Red Mones, Imaginative Kane
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • AMA's seem to be in-fashion again (but Elbbsas that was a few days ago shush it's fiiiine) so I'll bump this and see what happens.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
  • Former Citizen
  • 沈黙した
  • What's your favorite book ever and why?
    ❤️ Caitlin ❤️
    I want you to fall hardest of all saying my name or nothing at all.
    "Neon is genuinely exhausting to read"
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
    • 沈黙した
    • International Trans Girl Icon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Orientation
      People
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • What's your favorite book ever and why?

Oh, that's difficult. Hm. I haven't been reading much original stuff, recently. I have book club every month but those books... most aren't "ring the sirens this is amazing." Lots of cartoons, comics, and video games, but text based stuff hasn't cropped up much. And plenty of my tastes have changed so I don't know if I enjoy the things I used to put as my favourites.

I'll go with The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. It's the most recent book that I've reread (...which was at least a year ago. Yeesh I'm not reading much stuff I like anymore). I loved the worldbuilding presented, and how they dug into "this is our premise, here's how the implications of this premise work out." Plus, the book has a good balance of humour and themes to dig into. It's apparently book one in a series but I haven't looked into the sequels yet. I ought to do that at some point.
    2 people like this post: taulover, ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Hey, folks. It's been a while!

...And there are a few new AMA threads. I'll get to those once I'm done here.

Anyway.

Four months is a long time! Yikes! I think it's been four. Sorry about that. No particular reason for it, either, just me stuck in a bad headspace and then I didn't log in to anywhere for a while. Insert generic mental health stuff here, and so on. It wasn't anything dramatic, before anyone worries. It was literally just feeling drained, and then drained, and then oops I haven't logged onto things for a month, well great, now it's awkward, let's not think about it and I still feel drained and not up to it. Yaaay.

Since it's been four months (dear lord), I figured it would be good to dust off this thread again. Especially as there seems to be new (for me) faces that have already become awesome parts of the community.

So, for those who don't know me.
    Hi! I'm Elbbsas. I joined Wintreath in mid-2016, lurked for a long time, then stopped lurking at some point? Must've done. Wouldn't be much point of me typing this if I didn't stop lurking at some point. I'm a Eurasian Kiwi (New Zealander). Twenty-two years of age, with a BA majoring in English and Philosophy (plus a graduate certificate in Information Design, heck yeah). She/her pronouns but I'm not that fussed about it, and generally find it fun to see what people assume before they're informed. I am asexual aromantic, but I only figured that out last September (y'all, quantifying a lack of something's hard).

I have an inability to shut the hell up (as should be obvious from how long this is) and a habit of cracking what some may call "bad" puns. Now, I could force a pun into here to demonstrate, but it's more fun to jump on an opportunity for a pun in the wild rather than artificially make one for myself. I adore writing (I have a few threads and posts in the Halls of Art and Writing, plus from 2018-2019 I successfully wrote 730 poems, with dubious quality) and reading, and complaining about published books that are not written well. They are many. They are legion. I'm also lacking in serious-ness. "Sophisticated as Hell," perhaps, but it's never good to self-describe oneself as a positive attribute, otherwise others may think you an ass.

As for my standard three questions:
    • My username comes from one of those text posts about "making your [insert genre] name," and then I did it incorrectly. I liked the way it looked and I started using it.
    • My favourite colour has shifted from blues to oranges. Funny enough, I used to eat lots of oranges as a kid and now I do not. Irony's fun.
    • My most far-fetched goal in life remains getting a work onto TVTropes, because that would still be pretty cool. Alas, writing is hard.

...Right, that should be everyone caught up. Onto new stuff.

The first thing is that I bought myself a black ring. For those who don't know (which is... likely everyone unless you're in a specific lifestyle or done a fair chunk of research? IDK), a black ring worn on the right hand's middle finger is a symbol for the Ace (asexual) community. I've uh, I'm not brave enough to wear it in front of my family, but. Well. I've found it comforting? I didn't think it would be as good for my head as it has been. So. Yeah, it's nice. I wanted to share. Might post in The Pride about it? Dunno. Still figuring it out.

The second thing is fucking weird and it's a mix of stupid, really funny, and sucky for me. It also may be gross to some, so, duck out if needed.

Covid-19 made me paranoid, I noticed I was getting random allergic reactions to something, one thing led to another, and surprise! It turns out I have dermatographia. Essentially, it's a skin condition in which light irritation of the skin causes extensive hives and itches. Or, to put it in simple terms: If I scratch "HI" on my arm it'll get extremely itchy then the letters will pop outta my arm. The condition's also known as "skin writing."

The funny part is that I genuinely don't know how long I've had it. The symptoms are extremely unambiguous, so like... you'd think I'd notice it the second it happened. Thing is, I wear long everything and without glasses I have very bad eyesight, and also I'm not an observant person. I have extensive proof that my observation skills suck royally. But like -- it's a very noticeable allergic reaction to scratches, pressure, and heat, so the fact that I didn't notice it is funny to me. Until I actually observed the hecking raised scratch marks on my leg, I didn't think that "hey, maybe my skin being itchy is something I should consciously think about."

Since the symptoms are, as mentioned, really unambiguous, I haven't gone to a doctor to get it checked out yet (I will at some point because information is good and I'd like to have medication options available to me, because while it's the dumbest skin condition in the world, it also makes me want to rip my skin off. Fun!). There's also a good chance that it'll go away on its own at some point according to Google, which would be great. As fun a party trick it is (when I don't go to parties) I'd rather not have it in my life.

(But it is a pretty fun party trick. Sue me, my family's full of science-minded nerds. My sibling and I looked at the Wikipedia page and were sent to giggles about how it's diagnosed by drawing on the patient with a tongue depressor. It's intrinsically funny).

Right! I think that's it. Bleh, look at how much text I threw out. Yuck. I'm glad to be back, though. Ask me anything. =D
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Vroendal
  • Former Citizen
  • Birdbrain...
  • Ooh ooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me! Now that I've been annoying, time for questions. XD

1) What's the deal with you and kiwis?
    2) Which Monty Python and the Holy Grail character is your favorite?
    3) Is there anyone you look up to and why?
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas
    Vroendal
    • Birdbrain...
    • "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Ooh ooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me! Now that I've been annoying, time for questions. XD

Psh, no way can you be more annoying than me. I am the Queen of petty annoying-ness.

1) What's the deal with you and kiwis?
    That's an interesting one. See, "kiwi" means a flightless bird which you are not allowed to stick an "s" plural behind, while "Kiwi" refers to a race of people and "kiwifruit" is called "kiwi" by some (totally wrong) folk. =P

In all seriousness, I'm from New Zealand and I'm very proud of that. Kiwifruit are one of our symbols. "New Zealander" and "Kiwi" are synonyms. I'm proud to be a Kiwi.

2) Which Monty Python and the Holy Grail character is your favorite?
    I think you're the first people to call me out on how my AMA Questions Three are a reference to Monty Python. That, or it's a coincidence. Hm... In any case, I erm. I watched it back when I was under ten years old and I didn't much care for it at the time, so I don't remember any of the characters, just some funny quotes. I'm a fake fan.

But I'll go with the knight who gets all his limbs chopped off but insists he's winning the fight. At least, I assume he's in the Holy Grail. He may not be. I really ought to watch Monty Python as an adult.

3) Is there anyone you look up to and why?
    At the risk of sounding sappy-- no, sod that. It's sappy and I embrace it. My sister. She's one of the smartest people I know, our sense of humour's on pretty much the same wavelength (besides her hating puns, which honestly? Makes it better), and there's so many things that make me proud and inspired by that she does. I can't overstate how amazing she is. She's brilliant.

I genuinely don't know who'd I be without her. Much unhappier and not very nice, I reckon. Less goofing. I certainly wouldn't be here on Wintreath. I only found out about NationStates because she was making a nation based on Pengu (which, yeah, it did my head in a bit when I was first here because I never asked her what her nation was actually called, just that it was a reference to that show).

...By knock on effects, then, I probably would still be struggling to know if I was pan/bi or ace. Huh.

Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Imaginative Kane
  • Citizen
  • What do you think of online learning?
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas
    Peace through Power!!!
    Oldies are goodies.
    Travel the world
    Orca.
    Meow

Imaginative Kane
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His/It/Its/Their
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • But I'll go with the knight who gets all his limbs chopped off but insists he's winning the fight. At least, I assume he's in the Holy Grail. He may not be. I really ought to watch Monty Python as an adult.
    Yeah, the Black Knight is in Holy Grail.
    But I highly advocate a rewatch, shit is fuckin hilarious
    3 people like this post: Elbbsas, Vroendal, Imaginative Kane
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • What do you think of online learning?

Considering I earned a Graduate Certificate through online learning last year; it's good. However, the infrastructure of that paper was designed for online learning, so, my experiences are by no means universal.
    3 people like this post: Ogun of Valeria, taulover, Imaginative Kane
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 2 [3]