Pages: 1 [2]

Ask Aethelia Anything

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • You said you like colourful things...do you have a favourite colour?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • You said you like colourful things...do you have a favourite colour?

Was that question an excuse to say "colourful" and "favourite" with the extra "u"s? Not that it's a problem really, I don't care that much about alternate/wrong spellings, at least not nearly as much as when people get you're/your wrong, I am just wondering how much of this has to do with that spelling vs. being interested in my answer about my favorite color.

To look at, I prefer purple. I don't think there's a story behind this one, even though there often is for me. I just prefer the colder colors, and the darker colors, so purple is the way to go.
    Thematically, I prefer grey. Used to be black, but now I see grey as a rejection of black and white, as if to say that nothing is that simple. Well, except maybe recent political events in the USA, Nazis vs. Not-Nazis really is that simple. But other than exceptions like that, it's all grey. Sometimes it feels like I can't ever have anything purely good, but I suppose as bad as things are, I always have some reason to keep going so it can't be all black either.
    But that's not as fun an answer, so also thematically, I would consider red. I still don't want to be called "Red", but I do appreciate the symbology of fiery passion. I can't show that easily online, but I do tend to have that about some things.
    Don't like pink though, even though it's considered close to purple and red. Too soft and light. And too stereotypical, I really don't like that. Who decided that people should like a color based on the parts they have, that's ridiculous. I'm doing just fine right now without any pink things. Unless someone knows of a study that shows that, somehow, different genders react more positively to different wavelengths of light. So far, I'm not aware of any that can prove that I should prefer pink and the submissiveness associated with it.
    Regardless of color though, one thing I find better than rainbows is the effect of moving from white, to some color, and then to black, or the reverse. Like this:

See, isn't that pretty? I like it.
    This one works too and it's not even my favorite color:

I have more I could say, but that's probably already a lot more information than most would give when asked about their favorite color, so I should stop now.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:29:20 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • Spoiler
    "Red" only makes me think of Red from Orange is the New Black.

On that topic, are you a fan of television shows, Netflix or otherwise? If so, what is your favorite genre?

I think I missed this question earlier, I didn't know anything about Orange is the New Black other than how Netflix keeps shoving it in my face trying to get me to watch it while simultaneously cancelling Sense 8, an amazing show with fewer viewers only since they refused to advertise it like they do constantly with that show, and so I took a moral if pointless stand to refuse to watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix because I don't like being pressured into doing something even if I might like it if a try, bad precident, but I still needed to know this Red reference to be sure that nobody would call me Red because of it, it's good to know these things, just like that time that all those dumb comments about not having a soul started to happen because of some other dumb show that insults people with red hair or something, except because I clicked away to do that I missed the last part of the post, just thinking about how this seems unlikely to be a problem because that Red has darker red hair rather than a ginger shade so we look nothing alike.

I do enjoy television shows, though I've been trying to get away from that. Feels wrong. Always watching, never doing. I should do more and not just live my life sitting around watching things out of fear that I'll do the wrong thing and regret it forever like I already do for many other things.
    But since I haven't transitioned away and probably never will, my favorite show for awhile has been Doctor Who. Have to like David Tennant, though the guys before and after him are okay too, and I'm really looking forward to the next season with the next doctor now. Other than that, I like mystery stuff, it makes me think, and I like to guess people's intentions, whether it's in fiction or real life. Low tech fantasy/medieval or history stuff could be higher on my list, but it gets annoying and sad since all that stuff is sexist since that's unfortunately historically accurate.
    Netflix is decent, lately I've been using it more for picking out the weird and obscure limited selection of anime to listen to while doing other things. It would be better if it had Game of Thrones though.
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • all those dumb comments about not having a soul started to happen because of some other dumb show that insults people with red hair or something

Aw dang girl you've never seen South Park? Sure, there's the 'gingers have no soul' thing that pops up a couple times, but the thing is they never insinuate that's genuine. They have the kid who worships Adolf Hitler, turns a kid's parents into chili which he then feeds him, and kidnaps a bunch of hippies say it. And because he's a psychotic 10-year-old, he's thus a breakout character and everybody quotes him, even though in real life his opinions are disgusting and he'd be a shit person to associate with.
    But because it's a TV show and he's usually clearly wrong (except when he's right because of how insane things generally are), I'm usually okay with giving it a pass, since he's just one tool in their arsenal of 'making fun of literally everything in actually quite an on-the-nose way'.
    South Park is incredible is what I'm getting at.
    1 person likes this post: Mathyland
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • That name sounds familiar now, I forgot it as that's not a show I'm very familiar with. Just remember it from one time when I snapped from getting too many comments about the soul thing and needed to know why that was happening suddenly since I thought maybe they found out something about me and needed to remove the uncertainty but it turned out to just be South Park. And from the one time which must have been years ago that I tried it because someone told me it was funny, but it didn't seem like my sense of humor, so I barely got through the first few episodes of season 1, and just didn't see the appeal, I think I remember it being described as "toilet humor" and that sounded about right. I don't remember any of the episodes you described so I can't comment on those. I guess someone must like it though, I was surprised to just find out that show is still going.
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Eh. The first season was more childish, I agree, but in recent years it's certainly gotten much more better with their humor. Obviously there's still some element of toilet humor, but I think the focus has been much more on absurdity and the absurd exaggeration which really makes for the best kind of satirical humor.
    Since there isn't real continuity until the most recent few seasons, you could frankly start (should you desire, or at least feel like you should try, to get into it) with season 10 (which is the first one where I distinctly remember going 'wow that's actually pretty strong satire').
    I haven't actually seen any of it since season 18, but that's mostly because I don't get Comedy Central, and don't have Hulu. Used to see it all the time when you could stream it for free on their website.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Would you say you are a pragmatist or an idealist? Why?
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • Despite being an interesting question, I'm not sure how to answer that. Probably not 100% either way. Pure pragmatism sounds so boring and uncreative, possibly even selfish. Pure idealism just sounds stupid, or irresponsible.

Younger me would have had a hard time answering too, though for the reason of possibly being neither, as both sides still care about consequences, while I didn't so much before being broken years ago.

While researching this, I found the phrase "Pragmatic Idealism". I'm not sure if it really means anything, or is just another example of "Golden Mean Fallacy" from the usual useless "both sides are wrong" centrists. I'd rather say I'm some of both than use some weird phrase like that, it was just interesting that some people do choose to refer to themselves that way.

I don't think I would call myself either really, but maybe if anything I'm pragmatist in many ways, in the ways that don't matter, and idealist in a few ways, that matter more to me? Not sure. There are some labels I care a lot about but I guess this isn't one of them.
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2]