Pages: [1] 2

Run The Rock 2020: Dwayne Johnson for president.

Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintrean Press Secretary
  • A West Virginia resident has filed a campaign with the Federal Election Committee on behalf of actor/wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for the 2020 US presidential election. The FEC doesn't recognize this as an official campaign, but Johnson hasn't ruled out a 2020 run.

How does Wintreath feel about potential celebrity candidates? Similar rumors for the presidency have popped up about rapper Kanye West and others.

And how does everyone feel about filing for the 2020 election this early?
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Earlier related discussion: Kanye 2020?
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    trader
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
  • I'm pro Defranco 2020 but I'm open to anyone but Trump at this point. There's been so much shit with minority rights and other things that affect me that it's beyond crazy at this point. Anything would be better than another conservative as fuck presidency.
    Remember, there is no reason to panic, nothing is on fire.
    trader
    • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
    • Mercury 'trader' Kestar
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • I'd be okay with "The Rock" as president only if he stayed in his "The Rock Obama" character.
    Otherwise, he would just be another rich celebrity would wants to buy his way into office. Like Trump, but without the racism and with less sexism.

My preference for celebrities in the White House remains Neil deGrasse Tyson/Bill Nye.

Quote from: Barnes link=topic=4603.msg102633#msg102633
    And how does everyone feel about filing for the 2020 election this early?

With how things are going right now, I can understand the eagerness to start looking for a replacement ASAP.
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • I'd like ahnold if he could run. Trump will probably win 2020 at this rate tho. I just don't see a democratic candidate that could really bring the people that matter (rust belt voters) back into the blue. I've heard Kamala Harris being touted, but who the fuck is she appealing to? She's a Californian. California is already in the blue. You don't get the Midwest back by pushing more coastal neoliberals. They could try running Bernie again and not stab him in the back this time, but I think it's a little too late for that. And god forbid we get Mark Zuckerberg into the White House...
    *shudders*
    2 people like this post: Aethelia, BraveSirRobin
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I've read that Bernie Sanders hasn't ruled out running again, but that Kamala Harris or Cory Booker is what the Democratic establishment is pushing atm.

I actually don't think a celebrity as president is a good thing...celebrities might be good at campaigning and winning election because they already have a base of fans and are probably adept with using social media and knowing what to say to people and being charismatic, but I don't think those qualities translate to being a good president. There may be exceptions to that, but I think that's the rule generally.

What I want for president is somebody who is knowledgeable with the issues and things going on in the world today and has worked with some of them...who has experience governing or leading something, and who preferably has consistently supported and defended the rights of the people. When people vote in a celebrity to such a high office, especially without prior experience, it makes me wonder how seriously people take the office and the real problems that office faces.
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, Elbbsas, taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • I've read that Bernie Sanders hasn't ruled out running again, but that Kamala Harris or Cory Booker is what the Democratic establishment is pushing atm.

I actually don't think a celebrity as president is a good thing...celebrities might be good at campaigning and winning election because they already have a base of fans and are probably adept with using social media and knowing what to say to people and being charismatic, but I don't think those qualities translate to being a good president. There may be exceptions to that, but I think that's the rule generally.

What I want for president is somebody who is knowledgeable with the issues and things going on in the world today and has worked with some of them...who has experience governing or leading something, and who preferably has consistently supported and defended the rights of the people. When people vote in a celebrity to such a high office, especially without prior experience, it makes me wonder how seriously people take the office and the real problems that office faces.
    Problems with Cory include that he doesn't want to run, has connections with THE_ZUCK.jpg, and is an unmarried vegan. A VEGAN. That's like the antithesis to everything America stands for. And the thing is, there really aren't a whole lot of experienced democrats who want to leave their cushioned, gerrymandered congressional seats. The one that really comes to mind was Hillary, and she had all the charisma of a chipotle enema and got beaten twice in her bids for president. She's getting on in years and isn't likely to run again, and the Clinton family as a whole is turning into a stillborn dynasty. Biden is probably the only experienced candidate left, and he might just be too old to still be in the running. He's even older than Trump, and he looks it. It's the same problem some people had with Bernie in 2016 or on the flip side, McCain in 2008: They're afraid he's going to die in office. Being president is really stressful, and Obama looks like he's aged 20 years in 8. They might have to roll Biden out of the White House in an Iron Lung.
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:12:43 PM by Daeron Targaryen »
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • But at this rate, it looks like a lotta Republicans intend to stab Trump in the back and either impeach him or run against him.

And yes, I think the Democrats putting forward a Kamala Harris or Cory Booker would be tantamount to shooting their Presidential campaign in the head. What does Kamala Harris stand for? Who is she? Practically another Obama and that will not get the same results they got before. Problem is, other than Bernie Sanders who is getting old, alas, who would the Democrats put up? Al Franken? To boring nowadays. Any Senators? It's a parade of who from where? Governors? Same thing. I don't see a capable Democratic Candidate.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • who would the Democrats put up? Al Franken?
    As a fellow Minnesotan, I would definitely support Al Franken for president.
    3 people like this post: Aethelia, BraveSirRobin, Hydra
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I think I said it before...if Trump loses his base of support, expect impeachment or a lot of pressure for Trump to resign, cause Republicans know they can get more done with Pence than Trump. They're just afraid of incurring the wrath of Trump's vocal supporters.

On the Democratic side, I don't know. For all her flaws, it's not like Hillary lost by a landslide...she even won the popular vote. I'm not sure they even need a horribly charismatic person this time, though I admit it would help. I'm guessing there'll be another battle between progressives and the establishment, but it'll be hard to tell to what extent...will it be restricted mostly to the presidential primaries like they were last year, or will progressives cultivate candidates to run against establishment congressmen, governors, etc.

I'd say look to next year's elections too...if Democrats underperform again and fail to retake the House at least, progressives will be furious and almost certainly blame it in the establishment. You could see even more pressure for Nancy Pelosi to step down as Minority Leader, and more efforts to unseat establishment figures in 2020.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • who would the Democrats put up? Al Franken?
    As a fellow Minnesotan, I would definitely support Al Franken for president.

As a fellow Minnesotan (by decent, my dad's from Pine Island) I also like Al Franken but even I admit it would be difficult for him to become President. To....sedentary now. If he had been a fiery Senator, not afraid to buck the trend, instead of the milquetoast timid person he is now he would be in with a shot.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • My preference for celebrities in the White House remains Neil deGrasse Tyson/Bill Nye.
    I respect NdGT as a science communicator, but beyond that, not so much... One thing he does have in common with our current president is constantly showing up on the front page of /r/iamverysmart.
    Example
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Barnes
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • I think I said it before...if Trump loses his base of support, expect impeachment or a lot of pressure for Trump to resign, cause Republicans know they can get more done with Pence than Trump. They're just afraid of incurring the wrath of Trump's vocal supporters.

On the Democratic side, I don't know. For all her flaws, it's not like Hillary lost by a landslide...she even won the popular vote. I'm not sure they even need a horribly charismatic person this time, though I admit it would help. I'm guessing there'll be another battle between progressives and the establishment, but it'll be hard to tell to what extent...will it be restricted mostly to the presidential primaries like they were last year, or will progressives cultivate candidates to run against establishment congressmen, governors, etc.

I'd say look to next year's elections too...if Democrats underperform again and fail to retake the House at least, progressives will be furious and almost certainly blame it in the establishment. You could see even more pressure for Nancy Pelosi to step down as Minority Leader, and more efforts to unseat establishment figures in 2020.
    Well, if this election has proved anything, it's that winning the popular vote doesn't count for shit. The democrats need to retake the Midwest if they have any hope of an electoral victory, and a coastal establishment politician isn't going to do that. They need another Bill Clinton. Not necessarily in his exact politics and definitely not his personality, but his broad appeal to American voters. Trump has been in a spat with his congressional colleagues since he took office, and eight months in he has yet to be removed. He needs an actual, concrete scandal that his supporters would actually pause for something like that to happen. CNN anchors calling the Russia angle a "nothing burger" have all but killed that line. The controversy would have to be something entirely new that the media hasn't been blasting him about since the election, otherwise his supporters will just assume it's another nothing burger.
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • My preference for celebrities in the White House remains Neil deGrasse Tyson/Bill Nye.
    I respect NdGT as a science communicator, but beyond that, not so much... One thing he does have in common with our current president is constantly showing up on the front page of /r/iamverysmart.
    Example

Edit: Nvm.

(Edit: Ignore this, given the lameness of that guy's response, your post makes far more sense if I assume you're being sarcastic. I seriously need to get better at recognizing online sarcasm, without facial queues I never seem to pick up on it immediately. I see the others who liked your post already picked up on that immediately, I should have to.)

Not too dissuaded if that's the best example. A lot of people, mostly religious conservatives and edgy teenage boys, don't seem to like him for having a show that implied that evolution and other things backed by science are real, and I've seen a lot of poor attempts by trolls to refute everything he says, especially on twitter. None of them are especially clever. They don't seem to be aware of that though. If this random guy thinks he actually made a point, it must be very confusing to him that NDT is still a respected and popular scientist, while I've already forgotten this guy's name from about 1 minute ago. Seems like a lot of small name/big ego people like to post things, then immediately take a screenshot and try to share it as if that makes their post more valid or important somehow, kinda sad really seeing his tiny amount of likes for his response. And I thought I had low self-esteem... trying to (badly) refute NGT is some kind of reddit fad now? Very sad.

Would have replied immediately, but honestly, that guy's response was so lame that it wasn't even obvious that he was making an attempt to refute the original post, I had to look at it again just for that to be clear. NDT would easily win the election, if there were any hint that he intended to run, and he ended up against this guy. Like, NDT would say something about the stock market, and random twitter guy would say "If only there was a name for a MARKET that has STOCKS!" and then he'd have a smug smile as if he said the smartest thing ever, and then it would be posted on reddit apparently.
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:13:46 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Well, if this election has proved anything, it's that winning the popular vote doesn't count for shit. The democrats need to retake the Midwest if they have any hope of an electoral victory, and a coastal establishment politician isn't going to do that. They need another Bill Clinton. Not necessarily in his exact politics and definitely not his personality, but his broad appeal to American voters. Trump has been in a spat with his congressional colleagues since he took office, and eight months in he has yet to be removed. He needs an actual, concrete scandal that his supporters would actually pause for something like that to happen. CNN anchors calling the Russia angle a "nothing burger" have all but killed that line. The controversy would have to be something entirely new that the media hasn't been blasting him about since the election, otherwise his supporters will just assume it's another nothing burger.
    I didn't say the popular vote wins elections, I was just saying that for all of Hillary Clinton's unique flaws, her campaign was hardly the disaster some people make it out to be...at the end of the day, she barely lost, and had the result been slightly different in a few states she probably would have won. We could go on in detail about what she and her campaign did wrong, and we have in other topics, but I don't think she'll be a serious contender in 2020 even if she did want to run again, so it's not relevant here.

What Democrats need to do is to come together on an economic platform that appeals to the average person, and then they need to proudly stand by it and explain how it's going to help actual people, and be able to counter criticisms such as the cost of doing it and stuff. I don't think the actual policy is important in terms of winning the election, though of course there are policies I'd personally prefer, I think the important thing is that they stand for something.

As for Trump, he's had the support of at least 70% of Republicans for the last 8 months, but now even support in his own base seems to be eroding. Whatever controversies and spats he gets into, they don't matter so long as Republicans stand by him...it's when they stop doing so that he's in political trouble. And he doesn't necessarily have to be removed, he could be pressured to resign instead...many people think at some point he will get fed up and resign as it is.
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation