Pages: 1 [2]

Philadelphia Adds Black & Brown to the Gay Pride Flag, thoughts?

Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I wondered if my concern about this was because I'm speaking from the 'realm of privilege'.

I've read some other articles and comments about this, and one thing that keeps coming up is that this is needed because 'people of colour' are discriminated against on grindr and other dating/hookup apps (whites only, no blacks/asians, etc). I have to admit, when I was younger and first getting into guys I was exclusively into white guys, but over time as I explored myself and the wonderful world of male bodies, I came to like and sometimes even prefer them.

Not going to lie, I'd happily get on my knees and worship Asians like they're a master race. :P

But the thing is, changing the gay flag isn't going to resolve that issue...you have to encourage people to be open minded, and I think that has more to do with getting to know and love other kinds of people. It's a known fact that when a person gets to know and befriends different kinds of people, their prejudices against that kind of person drops too. It's probably the reason why the gay community has become so much more accepted so quickly.It just seems like something that people can feel good about without actually changing anything.

Fact of life: In the gay world anyone who isn't a Caucasian, fit (IE actually having a muscular build), masculine, young male is going to get discriminated against on most dating/hookup apps.  People will absolutely refuse to speak to certain races, will specifically put "Straight acting/masculine only" in their profiles...and don't even get me started on how they can be towards someone deemed overweight or "old."  Are we going to start adding stripes for every single type of person on that list?  And this is just covering the G part of the LGBT field.

The pride flag already exists with the thought of diversity of all races and sexualities and whatnot in mind.  It was essentially made as a message of "be who you are and be proud of who you are," saying that whether you're gay, straight, white, black, transgender, cisgender, etc... that you should embrace who you are. Be out, be you, and be proud to be you.

I understand wanting inclusion into something, and I respect that people want to feel included in something.  But they're disrespecting the flag by disregarding its core message and trying to stand themselves out on a flag that already embraces everyone to start with.

Do what others have done and just create a new flag centered around your message, in this case that PoC LGBT do matter.

Example being: The stigma against transgenders is...well, to put it lightly it's a bit heavy.  They face adversity from those in the heterosexual community, and likewise they face a lot of adversity from the gay community.  Simply because they feel they belong as the opposite gender that they are, it's almost like the fears of coming out, but intensified since it's even less of a thing that people are okay with.  They have to fight to be able to even use the bathroom of the gender that they identify with because of narrow minded people that have to relate everything to sexual agendas and masked pedophilia.

To this day, they're still fighting to have equal rights like everyone else, and being treated like everyone else (I work in retail, and whenever a transgender person walks in, there's ALWAYS negative gossip about them <_<). 

Did they add their own flair to the Pride flag?  No, they went and just made their own.

Hell, bisexuals have their own pride flag, even Pansexuals have their own pride flag.

Rather than going out and trying to alter an existing flag, why not make a new one?  Is there really anything wrong with a pride flag for LGBT PoC?  Not at all, in fact, I welcome such a flag as much as I welcome other flags that people wish to introduce to show pride about themselves or an important aspect of themselves (in this case, race/the challenges attached to race that they've faced in the LGBT community).

Just don't change what's already fine as it is.  It's already diverse and spreads the message embracing everyone regardless of who you are.  It's not even considered the "Gay Pride" flag anymore, it's considered the "Rainbow Flag" for LGBT+ pride.  Meaning, hell, if you're anyone that's not heterosexual (and even then, allies are always included in the +), then this flag is meant to represent you regardless of your race, age, gender, or other factors.
    4 people like this post: Wintermoot, Elbbsas, taulover, Barnes
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:41:08 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
  • To this day, they're still fighting to have equal rights like everyone else, and being treated like everyone else (I work in retail, and whenever a transgender person walks in, there's ALWAYS negative gossip about them <_<).
    Hmm. I always thought it was mostly just conservatives (particularly religious ones) who had something against Transgender people. Lol, I guess I'm just close-minded.
    Red Mones
    • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • To this day, they're still fighting to have equal rights like everyone else, and being treated like everyone else (I work in retail, and whenever a transgender person walks in, there's ALWAYS negative gossip about them <_<).
    Hmm. I always thought it was mostly just conservatives (particularly religious ones) who had something against Transgender people. Lol, I guess I'm just close-minded.

Conservatives, LGB people, you name it and there's people with issues against transgender people.

To use an example, a good friend of mine named Charles was gay, a drag queen, and I'm pretty sure was a democrat or independent.  But he could never understand nor agree with the transgender way of life.  He was pretty set in his ways that if you were born male/female, then that's what you were...despite being a drag queen.

But I'm not going to say that every transgender person out there is the most open minded person out there, because that's not true.  Much like there's backlash from the gay community against transgenders, there's equal backlash from the transgender communities against gay people. 

Really, it's kind of silly on both sides.  They both face adversity from people for what they feel deep within themselves, so I don't understand why both sides tend to detest each other.
    4 people like this post: Red Mones, taulover, Hydra, Barnes
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Humanity sucks is why. One group will always seek to look down on another group. Its one of our very many things I detest about Humanity.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Humanity sucks is why. One group will always seek to look down on another group. Its one of our very many things I detest about Humanity.
    Aren't you just looking down on humanity as a whole then? :P

that was a joke, sorry if it's not funny
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • He's not wrong though. It's human nature to divide amongst ourselves and conquer and control what we can. It's what we do. Even in the gay communities there's a definite hierarchy. With twinks and muscle jocks at the top of the pile.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Sadly that's true.  Even in the gay world you have the desired groups at the top of the pedestal, and as NyghtOwl mentioned that spot belongs to the muscular and Jock types as well as the twinks.  If you're not good looking enough, too old, overweight (and more so to be desired in the "bear" category), or even too geeky or flamboyant...then you're looked down upon by the rest of the gay world.

It's depressing, really...but like mentioned, it's human nature.  Hierarchies like that exist in the straight community too when it comes to the desired traits, I've noticed.  It's just our nature to want a certain type of person above another type, and I think a big part of that comes from the fact that it's those types of people that are pushed out as desirable, whereas it's essentially made a goal to make the other types look as unappealing as possible...so it affects how we view them.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation