Pages: [1] 2

Philadelphia Adds Black & Brown to the Gay Pride Flag, thoughts?

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Article: https://geeksout.org/blogs/geeks-out/philadelphias-pride-flag-adds-black-and-brown-lgbt-spectrum

To summarize though, Philadelphia's Office of LGBT Affairs has added a black and brown stripe to the gay pride flag to represent black and brown LGBTQ people. What are your thoughts?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I dont like it. Why not add yellow for asians and a different shade of red for Native Americans and Grey for the elderly and so on and so forth?
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I thought that one of the meanings of the rainbow flag already was diversity? As in, people of all colors?

Also, I just noticed: add grey and white stripes to the bottom and we'll have a resistor color chart. :D
    4 people like this post: BraveSirRobin, Arenado, Hydra, Melehan
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • I dont like it. Why not add yellow for asians and a different shade of red for Native Americans and Grey for the elderly and so on and so forth?
    We need unseeable colors for all the people born with extra cones in their eyes, otherwise you're a fucking shitlord who needs to jump off a bridge.
    Article: https://geeksout.org/blogs/geeks-out/philadelphias-pride-flag-adds-black-and-brown-lgbt-spectrum

To summarize though, Philadelphia's Office of LGBT Affairs has added a black and brown stripe to the gay pride flag to represent black and brown LGBTQ people. What are your thoughts?
    Office of LGBT Affairs?
    With a name like that I wouldn't be sure if they wanted to help gays or kill them.
    3 people like this post: Arenado, trader, Red Mones
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    trader
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
  • Last I checked, Pride has to do with sexual and gender identity, not race. It's really freakin dumb when people decide that they need to put people of colour (also a pretty shit term, it's just a rearrangement of coloured people but somehow it's less racist? idk) or ethnic minorities on a pedestal. Pride shouldn't be about race, it's about not discriminating. Choosing to represent a group of people and not another is the exact opposite. In this case, it's the many other ethnic groups or Caucasian/European persons. If everyone got to throw a stripe on there for the minority group they belong to, we'd have a flag about a mile high, with a single thread for each group.

Also, it kinda fucks with the whole rainbow vibe. From a design perspective, it doesn't work. In my opinion, it clashes too much with the bright, vibrant colours of the rest of the flag.

@Justinian Ezkantion, I agree, that's a pretty ambiguous name.
    2 people like this post: Arenado, taulover
    Remember, there is no reason to panic, nothing is on fire.
    trader
    • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
    • Mercury 'trader' Kestar
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
    We need unseeable colors for all the people born with extra cones in their eyes, otherwise you're a fucking shitlord who needs to jump off a bridge.
    Article: https://geeksout.org/blogs/geeks-out/philadelphias-pride-flag-adds-black-and-brown-lgbt-spectrum

Office of LGBT Affairs?
    With a name like that I wouldn't be sure if they wanted to help gays or kill them.

To the second point, yes, it does sound ominous....

To the first point, let me clarify.

I believe in inclusiveness but this is ridiculous. By bogging down in this minute detail you risk offending other minorities. This is what I hate about PC culture. We know that the LGBT community also represents black people who are gay, you dont have to put it on a flag. No one was wondering what the LGBT community thought about black people who are gay. And perhaps more selfishly, this is supposed to be about LGBT issues. The history of LGBT persecution is separate and different from the history of black persecution. I really do not appreciate needing to make space on what is supposed to be a flag for LGBT people for a specific minority. I am a minority caucasian bisexual male Catholic living in a predominately Asian country. Where is my stripe on the flag? I'm not asking because I actually want a stripe, I'm using it to show how stupid it is to start to sorta section off inclusiveness. The flag already shows inclusivity. If you are LGBT, the flag represents you. And if you are so insecure you need a stripe on a flag that already includes you for a very specific subset of the group than fuck you. Fuck you and your faux bullshit arguments. People like that are the problem with PC culture.

By the way, none of that was in reference to you, Justinian, I was just clarifying my thoughts. Though I very much doubt anyone has ever called you the problem with PC culture  :P
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:40:44 PM by North »
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I get it. I really do. POC have a shit show going on right now especially those represented by those stripe. And yeah, white queer folks like myself should be doing more to open the floor to their voices. (Although in NH it's honestly a moot point.) However adding those stripes takes away from the meaning of the flag itself. Each of those colours represents a positive trait of lgbt folks, of all races. Adding stripes to represent specific skin colours is the opposite of what the pride flag is all about. The other thing that bothers me about the addition is their timing. The day after the funeral of the designer. It's a nice gesture I guess. But it feels wrong. But, I also know that I'm speaking from the realm of privillage so I could be totes off.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I wondered if my concern about this was because I'm speaking from the 'realm of privilege'.

I've read some other articles and comments about this, and one thing that keeps coming up is that this is needed because 'people of colour' are discriminated against on grindr and other dating/hookup apps (whites only, no blacks/asians, etc). I have to admit, when I was younger and first getting into guys I was exclusively into white guys, but over time as I explored myself and the wonderful world of male bodies, I came to like and sometimes even prefer them.

Not going to lie, I'd happily get on my knees and worship Asians like they're a master race. :P

But the thing is, changing the gay flag isn't going to resolve that issue...you have to encourage people to be open minded, and I think that has more to do with getting to know and love other kinds of people. It's a known fact that when a person gets to know and befriends different kinds of people, their prejudices against that kind of person drops too. It's probably the reason why the gay community has become so much more accepted so quickly.It just seems like something that people can feel good about without actually changing anything.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I wondered if my concern about this was because I'm speaking from the 'realm of privilege'.

I've read some other articles and comments about this, and one thing that keeps coming up is that this is needed because 'people of colour' are discriminated against on grindr and other dating/hookup apps (whites only, no blacks/asians, etc). I have to admit, when I was younger and first getting into guys I was exclusively into white guys, but over time as I explored myself and the wonderful world of male bodies, I came to like and sometimes even prefer them.

Not going to lie, I'd happily get on my knees and worship Asians like they're a master race. :P

But the thing is, changing the gay flag isn't going to resolve that issue...you have to encourage people to be open minded, and I think that has more to do with getting to know and love other kinds of people. It's a known fact that when a person gets to know and befriends different kinds of people, their prejudices against that kind of person drops too. It's probably the reason why the gay community has become so much more accepted so quickly.It just seems like something that people can feel good about without actually changing anything.

Which articles said it was about the grinder stuff. All the one's I've read have opined that it's about the racism in the gay community in Philly. From the owner of a popular gay club throwing around the n word to racist dress codes at said bars. I honestly don't know what a racist dress code is but I can agree that there needs to be better outreach to our queer brothers and sisters of colour. I just don't think this was the answer.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I'd have to go back and look, but it's something that came up a lot, especially in comments.

Still, you have to admit that if that gay club owner learned to enjoy some diversity in penises, he probably wouldn't be throwing around words like that. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintrean Press Secretary
  • I prefer this version.

1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I like the flag just the way it is.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I prefer this version.

I think it's fine just the way it is...
    1 person likes this post: Barnes
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • I meant I prefer the version I posted to the one proposed by Philadelphia. The original is still best.
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Melehan
  • Citizen
  • I'm going to be visiting Philly's Gayborhood for the first time ever within the next few days, so... *tosses in two cents*

On the one hand, I agree with the sentiment behind the changes to the flag. However, changing the flag is not the way to go about it, and I worry that in the end, it will do more harm than help.

I think the responses in this thread are actually a pretty good example of how the change is leading to a dismissal of the issues PoC face within the gay community rather than generating discussion or a closer examination of the ways in which gay PoC are marginalized by other gay people, particularly white gay community members.

While I don't identify as gay myself, I have a lot of friends who do who are also PoC, and I see and hear about how their concerns and means of self-expression are constantly dismissed on sexist and racist grounds all the time. One example that sticks in my mind comes from one of my black lesbian friends who explained to me that because black women have historically been stereotyped and portrayed as being loud, strong, and masculine, that being openly femme was incredibly subversive, and yet other lesbians, particularly white lesbians who proudly identified as being feminist, would attack femme black lesbians for reinforcing gender stereotypes and harass them for not being "true" lesbians. We're talking wishing death levels of harassment, among other things.

That's not even getting into how people tie attractiveness to skin color or race, or how sexual availability, performance, or submissiveness is assumed based on one's perceived race. The latter is something I personally run into all the time, and something I have had to physically defend myself from on more than one occasion because of.

Racism is unfortunately alive and well within the gay community, and very few non-PoC are willing to acknowledge it exists, much less work to address it. So, while it's great that there are people in Philly who are willing to do the latter, I worry that simply changing the flag (and leaving out Asians in the process--which btw is the predominant form racism against Asians takes) won't do much except breed resentment, much as how similar measures taken in the past have only bred more resentment towards PoC.
    Melehan
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2