Pages: [1]

[Citizens' Discussion]Fundamental Laws Justice and Legislation Revision Act

Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Here We Are:

Quote from: Fundamental Laws Justice and Legislation Revision Act
    Title
    1. This act shall be titled the Fundamental Laws Justice and Legislation Revision Act

Amendments
    2. Article I, Section 15 of the Fundamental Laws shall be amended to read as follows:
    15. The Storting shall have the authority to interpret these Fundamental Laws and statutory laws in acts of definition. The Storting may also determine how a court of law issues rulings and verdicts in regards to violation of these laws and set punishments for a court of law to use in violations of those laws, within the parameters of these Fundamental Laws and any other laws.

3. Article I, Section 16 shall be rendered null and void with all following sections being renumbered accordingly

4. Article III, Section 1 shall be amended to read as follows:
    1. Upon the filing of cases within the Storting, the Monarch shall select at random a Peer of the Overhusen and two Skrifa of the Underhusen to serve as Justices in a judicial panel, provided the selected person is not the Plaintiff or Defendant. The Peer shall serve as Chief Justice, and the Skrifa shall serve as Associate Justices. The Monarch is ineligible to serve on judicial panels.

5. Article III shall gain a new section, numbered Section 5, which shall read as follows:
    5. A Judicial Panel shall have the authority to interpret these Fundamental Laws and statutory laws and consider the constitutionality over laws brought before the Panel, determine rulings and verdicts in regard to violations of these laws, and determine punishments for violations of these laws within the parameters of these Fundamental Laws and any other laws.

6. Article III shall gain a new section, numbered Section 6, which shall read as follows:
    6. A Judicial Panel shall have the authority to issue advisory opinions on matters of constitutionality and legality to anyone who has been determined to have standing to seek an advisory opinion.

Discuss to your hearts content.
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Hot take on why nobody is discussing this: very likely, nobody thinks they'll ever be affected by it. Who thinks they're ever gonna break the law? More importantly, I don't think most people are even aware of what the fundamental laws are, doubts they'll ever break one, and so don't give a shit. Legislation that gets debated is legislation that people think will affect their lives - nobody gives a shit about Congress passing a law that deals with, I dunno, pig farmers in rural Iowa, but there's gonna be a veritable shit storm the moment someone says the word 'healthcare'. It's just kind of irrelevant to people. If y'all in the Underhusen think it's aight, whatever, pass it. I personally oppose it, not because I see any problems with it as a piece of legislation - I just think that legislation of this sort is kind of pointless.

I pretty much treat this as 'any internet community', where essentially the laws are 'don't be a dick', 'don't piss off the admins or mods', and 'don't break the laws of the country where you live' and pretty much anything else goes. Anything else would strike me as essentially petty stupid bureaucratic nonsense, and if I were banned (or...whatever other kind of thing you can do to me, but realistically since there's no actual legal authority besides whatever we're all just sort of agreeing to, I could post 'fuck all y'all' in every topic, put 17 dick pictures in the Underhusen 'for debate', and then leave forever and there would be sweet fuck all you could do to punish me, because I would no longer be around to ban) for something like that I'd probably just be like 'well fuck all y'all anyway' (although I wouldn't post it in every topic, that's just 1) a dick move and 2) too much work).

Legal committees or whatever the hell for an internet community are really just a formality for people who want to make it seem like someone they're banning is actually a criminal. They're not. Just vest the mods and admins with the appropriate power, and don't go through the stupid motions of trials or judicial committees or whatever the hell because either 1) the mods and admins are sane, logical people who won't abuse their power, or 2) they're psychotic dicks, in which case the king will kick them out because at the end of the day he's root admin and he can do whatever he wants (clearly Ainur has traumatized me for life).

It's one thing to have a committee to do shit like this when they have actual, meaningful power, like if we were colonizing Mars or some shit, but unless you've figured out a way to reach through the computer screen and choke somebody out (in which case, please teach me this art, oh wise master), the effective punishments are 'getting kicked out' and 'that's it'. It's why I find the practice of regional government dull and boring (because there's no real power, no real impact, and no real consequences), and as a corollary why I find student government stupid (they do sweet fuck all worth a damn except make my life more difficult). It's playing pretend, but for people who find spreadsheets and bureaucracy fun.

tl;dr i'm very aggressive about how dumb I find democratic regional government but more importantly this legislation seems extraneous, just let the monarch handle judicial problems, because it's not like they happen every weekend, seriously, when was the last time there was something of this nature
    4 people like this post: taulover, Gerrick, Elbbsas, Sapphiron
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Hot take on why nobody is discussing this: very likely, nobody thinks they'll ever be affected by it. Who thinks they're ever gonna break the law? More importantly, I don't think most people are even aware of what the fundamental laws are, doubts they'll ever break one, and so don't give a shit. Legislation that gets debated is legislation that people think will affect their lives - nobody gives a shit about Congress passing a law that deals with, I dunno, pig farmers in rural Iowa, but there's gonna be a veritable shit storm the moment someone says the word 'healthcare'. It's just kind of irrelevant to people. If y'all in the Underhusen think it's aight, whatever, pass it. I personally oppose it, not because I see any problems with it as a piece of legislation - I just think that legislation of this sort is kind of pointless.

I pretty much treat this as 'any internet community', where essentially the laws are 'don't be a dick', 'don't piss off the admins or mods', and 'don't break the laws of the country where you live' and pretty much anything else goes. Anything else would strike me as essentially petty stupid bureaucratic nonsense, and if I were banned (or...whatever other kind of thing you can do to me, but realistically since there's no actual legal authority besides whatever we're all just sort of agreeing to, I could post 'fuck all y'all' in every topic, put 17 dick pictures in the Underhusen 'for debate', and then leave forever and there would be sweet fuck all you could do to punish me, because I would no longer be around to ban) for something like that I'd probably just be like 'well fuck all y'all anyway' (although I wouldn't post it in every topic, that's just 1) a dick move and 2) too much work).

Legal committees or whatever the hell for an internet community are really just a formality for people who want to make it seem like someone they're banning is actually a criminal. They're not. Just vest the mods and admins with the appropriate power, and don't go through the stupid motions of trials or judicial committees or whatever the hell because either 1) the mods and admins are sane, logical people who won't abuse their power, or 2) they're psychotic dicks, in which case the king will kick them out because at the end of the day he's root admin and he can do whatever he wants (clearly Ainur has traumatized me for life).

It's one thing to have a committee to do shit like this when they have actual, meaningful power, like if we were colonizing Mars or some shit, but unless you've figured out a way to reach through the computer screen and choke somebody out (in which case, please teach me this art, oh wise master), the effective punishments are 'getting kicked out' and 'that's it'. It's why I find the practice of regional government dull and boring (because there's no real power, no real impact, and no real consequences), and as a corollary why I find student government stupid (they do sweet fuck all worth a damn except make my life more difficult). It's playing pretend, but for people who find spreadsheets and bureaucracy fun.

tl;dr i'm very aggressive about how dumb I find democratic regional government but more importantly this legislation seems extraneous, just let the monarch handle judicial problems, because it's not like they happen every weekend, seriously, when was the last time there was something of this nature
    To be fair Wintermoot doesn't want to have absolute authority. He actually doesn't even want to be involved that much in the Judiciary...
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    taulover
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • We did originate for NS, so having a model government in place, even if it has essentially no power, makes sense. And adding judicial review and making the laws more consistent is nice, I suppose.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]