Poll

Do you prefer Liberty or Tradition when starting a game of Civ V?

Liberty
1 (10%)
Tradition
1 (10%)
It don't care, really; both are good
2 (20%)
It depends on what victory I'm going for
1 (10%)
I strategically plan which one I use based on other things like Leader traits, religion bonuses, etc.
1 (10%)
Other (Please specify)
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 08:18:54 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Civ V Poll: Liberty or Tradition?

Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
  • There is a lot of debate on the Interwebs about which is better, so I want to see what you guys think!

Edit: I realize I should've added Honor to the mix, but oh well.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:21:07 PM by Red Mones »
    Red Mones
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • This is a good one...I almost always adopt tradition and all its policies first thing, just because they build on things I want to do, scale fairly well going through the game, and have a big impact at the start when you're trying to get your cities off and running.
    • Aristocracy (+15% wonder production) builds on Egypt's Monument Builder ability (I usually play Egypt).
    • Landed Elite (+2 food and +10% growth in Capital) is great for getting your first city growing a little faster, and adds onto the Hanging Gardens wonder which I build in the Capital if I build it, which becomes available when you adopt tradition.
    • Legalism (free monuments/culture buildings in first 4 cities) means you don't have to spend time building monuments in your first few cities, allowing you to build other things like wonders.
    • Monarchy (+1 gold and -1 unhappiness for every 2 Citizens in Capital) is a great gold and happiness boost, and scales as your capital grows.
    • Oligarchy (no cost for garrisoned units, +50% ranged combat strength for cities with garrisoned units) helps you support more military units by removing maintenance costs from garrisoned units. I think it also scales well with the Military Caste policy from the Honor tree (+1 happiness and +2 culture from garrisoned units). Between the two, units almost function like a free building.
    There's nothing wrong with liberty, but I don't usually build enough cities to make many of the polices worthwhile, and I don't usually have a problem with building enough settlers or workers. Sometimes I will adopt it just to snatch Republic (+1 production in every city, +5% production when building buildings), but to be honest by the time I'm done with tradition usually more appealing civic trees have opened up.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:39:43 PM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Aegon
  • Former Citizen
  • !@#$
    I didn't want to vote other! I was just clicking around!
    Anyways, I usually go Tradition because it speeds things up a bit but I usually take Republic and maybe Citizenship and/or Representation depending on the victory I'm going for.

I should also mention I play a heavily modded Civ game and usually go culture.
    Aegon
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • This is a good one...I almost always adopt tradition and all its policies first thing, just because they build on things I want to do, scale fairly well going through the game, and have a big impact at the start when you're trying to get your cities off and running.
    • Aristocracy (+15% wonder production) builds on Egypt's Monument Builder ability (I usually play Egypt).
    • Landed Elite (+2 food and +10% growth in Capital) is great for getting your first city growing a little faster, and adds onto the Hanging Gardens wonder which I build in the Capital if I build it, which becomes available when you adopt tradition.
    • Legalism (free monuments/culture buildings in first 4 cities) means you don't have to spend time building monuments in your first few cities, allowing you to build other things like wonders.
    • Monarchy (+1 gold and -1 unhappiness for every 2 Citizens in Capital) is a great gold and happiness boost, and scales as your capital grows.
    • Oligarchy (no cost for garrisoned units, +50% ranged combat strength for cities with garrisoned units) helps you support more military units by removing maintenance costs from garrisoned units. I think it also scales well with the Military Caste policy from the Honor tree (+1 happiness and +2 culture from garrisoned units). Between the two, units almost function like a free building.
    There's nothing wrong with liberty, but I don't usually build enough cities to make many of the polices worthwhile, and I don't usually have a problem with building enough settlers or workers. Sometimes I will adopt it just to snatch Republic (+1 production in every city, +5% production when building buildings), but to be honest by the time I'm done with tradition usually more appealing civic trees have opened up.
    Haha, nice, you've got a complete strategy planned out. :) When I first played I always went with Liberty, because, "Hell yeah, free settler and worker!" But after playing for a long time I actually lean more towards Tradition, but still use Liberty quite often. I also haven't yet found that one civ that I play with often.

!@#$
    I didn't want to vote other! I was just clicking around!
    Anyways, I usually go Tradition because it speeds things up a bit but I usually take Republic and maybe Citizenship and/or Representation depending on the victory I'm going for.

I should also mention I play a heavily modded Civ game and usually go culture.
    Likewise. In a normal game I play with 17 mods, and have 4 more that I'm testing, although I must admit most are minor building and unit tweaks. Also, which culture victory do you speak of? Base game or BNW?
    Red Mones
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    DekuNut
  • Former Citizen
  • The Iceman cometh
  • I actually open up with honor. Makes fighting the barbarians in early-game a little easier, and I tend to like to build up my army a little more pretty early on.
    DekuNut
    • The Iceman cometh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Aegon
  • Former Citizen
  • @Red Mones
    BNW culture victory and it's usually with a modded Poland that gives, I forget what the exact buff is, a 5% or 15% added culture and a free social policy every other era instead of every era.
    Also, I really could go for a game of Civ right about now. Well, there goes my day.
    Aegon
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Trad adopt initially for +3 culture/turn, then go for Aristocracy for the wonder help, then go for Liberty because Oligarchy is such a waste of a policy*.  (Liberty adopt, then the +2 prod/city +5% building prod, then the +1 settler/+50% cap settler prod.)

*If I played with Honor at all my opinion of Oligarchy would be VASTLY different :P
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Oh exception:  When I'm playing tall as India for Bollywood achievement or as Venice, in the former case because 2 settlers isn't enough to justify going Liberty, and the latter because the benefits of completely adopting Trad early are IMMENSE when you only have a single city.  (Also fun fact: if Venice can't build Petra and Great Lighthouse, you lose the game.  Maybe not really, but 20 trade routes is AWESOME late game.)

And ALWAYS go Aesthetics.  Some people say it doesn't have an effect, because once you've adopted it totally you get roughly the same number policies from the culture boost, but I figure, if you can and there's no drawback, why not?  :P
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Haha, nice, you've got a complete strategy planned out. :) When I first played I always went with Liberty, because, "Hell yeah, free settler and worker!" But after playing for a long time I actually lean more towards Tradition, but still use Liberty quite often. I also haven't yet found that one civ that I play with often.
    I've given it a lot of thought over the years, especially once we started doing multiplayer, because what you do in the first 75 turns is probably most important to how the game goes for you. At least for me, I want to get my Capital up and running as soon as possible, because it's going to count for most of my science output and production for most of the early game...then once you get into the mid game and your set up you're building things so fast and you're so advance in the tech tree that you have some flexibility on what you want to focus on depending on how the game is going.

But it's also why liberty doesn't do much for me...when you can build settlers in under five turns, and workers in even less. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • *only plans out a path of wonders and then how to rush them most effectively*

GL, Hanging Gardens, Pyramids, Petra.  Also Stonehenge if you're in a good enough starting location (aka one with salt).

Oh and I always went Tradition until they nerfed it and put the Garrison maintenance as a prereq for all the cool growth stuff.
    Sir Robin of Camelot

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • I actually open up with honor. Makes fighting the barbarians in early-game a little easier, and I tend to like to build up my army a little more pretty early on.
    I find I neglect my military pretty early on. I pretty much keep a scout, about one unit per city, and maybe one or two extra if I'm near a lot of barbarians.
    Red Mones
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Honour is fan-fucking-tastic if you have raging barbarians on...in that case I'll make it a point to at least adopt it early on for the barbarian combat and culture bonus.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • For some reason whenever I play with raging barbarians, I don't ever notice a change.
    Red Mones
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • I usually play wide, so I do what Robin said, except without the wonder boost from Aristocracy (at least not until later). I adopt tradition for the +3 culture boost but then move to Liberty for the production boost, settlers, and workers.

Maybe I should try tradition, though, especially for multiplayer games where we don't have the time to settle a bunch of cities.

EDIT: Plus, muh freedoms!

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Alkasia
  • Village Drifter
  • Cheese Connoiseur
  • I tend to start with Tradition more often, but I think the generally accepted tactic is liberty for wide and tradition for tall. If I REALLY want to, I'll go tradition, but go liberty just until the free settler.

I use Honor very rarely and completely ignore Piety. :P
    Alkasia
    • Cheese Connoiseur
    • Village Drifter
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Representing

Pages: [1] 2