Pages: [1]

Stanaford University Offering Transgender Inclusiveness Course

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I don't know if this is an interest for anyone, but since we're a LGBTQ+ community I thought I'd go ahead and post it here just in case. :)

Stanaford University is offering a free online course named "Health Across the Gender Spectrum", which is open now. Focusing on the experiences of transgender children, this course will inform students about gender identity and the gender spectrum, then explore ways to make settings such as homes and schools safer and more gender inclusive for them. While it's geared toward transgender children, I'm thinking of going through it to see if we can make Wintreath a better place for transgender members. :)

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else was interested. The course begins on May 22nd, and registration is open until May 27th. Again, the link is here. :)
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:39:49 AM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Melehan
  • Citizen
  • This looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out.
    Melehan
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The course doesn't start until May 22nd, but I think if you register you can go ahead and go through the first week before it officially opens. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I just finished with the first week of the course! It was mostly an introduction to what being transgender means, starting by presenting some of the experiences of transgender children and then going into what it means to be transgender and clarifying areas people tend to be confused about, especially clarifying that gender identity is not the same as sexual orientation, and that a transgender person isn't necessarily also gay (in fact, both have their own separate spectrum!).

For me it was nothing new, but for someone who didn't actually know or have any experience with transgender people I think it would be a good primer on the subject. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that Cabinet members are already likely to have such experience, I would be tempted to make it mandatory learning for new members.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Just finished with the second week! This week started out discussing medical options for transgender children, such as the option to delay puberty until the child/family are sure they want to begin transitioning and then the option to take cross sex hormones and later on have surgery (some people choose to do both, one but not the other, or neither). It also discussed the fact that in order to get these treatments you have to have a medical diagnosis (formerly gender identity disorder, now gender dysphoria) and whether it's appropriate to have to do that since it implies there's something wrong with them. Finally, it discussed people who may not identify as male or female...as both or neither gender, or a third gender, and how to create a supportive environment for them, especially with language.

As before, this was a quick and informative unit to complete, taking about 30 minutes. I still think anyone could have gotten something from this week's unit, especially the non-binary gender section, but to be honest this week's information seemed particularly geared toward parents, teachers, and medical professionals.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Melehan
  • Citizen
  • From what I understand, the course as a whole is geared towards parents, teachers, guardians, medical professionals, and any adults that are responsible for children in a caretaker/educational capacity, with the ultimate goal being to help them foster environments that are gender inclusive.

Depending on how the third week goes, I might have to push for the staff of another site I mod to take the course. I'm hoping there will be some incorporation of digital applications and models, but I'm doubtful since I'm only seeing physical examples listed in the syllabus.
    Melehan
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I'm hoping they or someone else do a class geared towards teens and adults, and include digital examples, but I suppose it makes sense that a first effort should be directed toward helping kids that probably aren't participating in online communities much.

Still, the first unit and the nonbinary portion of the second unit is good stuff for the general audience, I think. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • *cough* Stanford *cough* ;)
    3 people like this post: taulover, Red Mones, Hydra
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Melehan
  • Citizen
  • I'm hoping they or someone else do a class geared towards teens and adults, and include digital examples, but I suppose it makes sense that a first effort should be directed toward helping kids that probably aren't participating in online communities much.

Still, the first unit and the nonbinary portion of the second unit is good stuff for the general audience, I think. :)
    Oh, definitely, though one can always hope for more.

I do hope this is just the first course of several to come.
    Melehan
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I got busy and wasn't able to do the last week before the deadline, but there was a neat option to transfer my work to a new session of the same course, so I did it and finished this week. :D

The third week was basically an overview which boiled down to listen to what the patient/student/child wants and create an environment that promotes diversity and acceptance. One tidbit I found interesting was a video from a kindergarten teacher who had to adjust her classroom for a transgender student...turns out, not only were the changes good for that one student, but for everyone else, too. When the classroom became gender-neutral, boys and girls started playing with each other more instead of grouping up with people of the same gender. I'm sure that helps fight things like sexism, too.

Overall, I think people who aren't familiar with what transgender is would get a lot from those course, especially the first week, but if you already have transgender friends like I do you probably already know most of the material. I still enjoyed going through the course, though. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]