Pages: [1]

The Wild Men of Wichita (Interest)

Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • THE WILD MEN OF WICHITA: A GANG RP OF APOCALYPTIC PROPORTIONS

"The year is 1971.
    A little over fourty years ago the world as we knew it was destroyed.
    It wasn't from some second great war. No meteor. No alien invasion.
    No, it was just another Spanish Flu, and an economic collapse that did in thousands of years of civilization...but only for a moment.
    Over the years humanity rebuilt, reformed their old societies, or made new ones.
    Out here in the plains, we've built a way of life like no other. Big ass gangs gettin enough protection from all these hicks and their inbred families, and shooting up the ones that don't wanna pay. We fuck up all the shithead posers that want to cash in on our "clients", and the big cities fund it all, cuz they know at the end of the day we always head over there to drink and fuck after a hard day's ride.
    It ain't so bad once you get used to it, and it's about the only life I've ever known. But out east they're talking about all the bigwigs getting together and tryin to make the world like it used to be, calling themselves the United States of North America, like the America there used to be before that plague and shit. I don't worry, though. We beat those pansy Texans we can beat em easy. Long as big boss Rufus Luckett is on the case. He took me in when I was nothin, raised me like his own. Now I've got my own gang, working for him. Call ourselves the "Wild Men of Wichita". Not very catchey, I know, but I can always change it. Cuz I'm the boss, see? And around here we do it my way. So wadda ya think, tough guy? Think you got what it takes to be a Wild Man?"

Wild Men of Wichita is a post-apocalyptic RP set in a world that suffered a major civilizational collapse in the late 1920s. Although humanity has long since started to rebuild, there are some places still untamed. The Great Plains of North America is one such region. Where roving bands of raiders slowly conglomerates into syndicates big enough and with enough sway to be khanates of their own, they ride on horseback to collect their dues in valuables or in blood. Their regular fighting has long driven off any attempt to civilize the region, but now that the east is united under a single flag, and with the west doing similar, can this way of life last long? As a member of a small outfit under the suzerainty of one such syndicate, you must find that out for yourself. Although every day is a struggle to keep one's head above the water, lord only knows how much tougher it's going to get. Going forward your behavior and actions will make or break the future of this gang, and maybe your whole way of life...

Unfiltered and Unedited Lore dump if you want a gist of the setting
    Imagine that in the late 20s, when the great depression was almost upon the world, a pandemic broke out of epic proportions. The spanish flu, which had been mostly dormant for nearly a decade, struck again deadlier and more infectious. The economic shock would trigger the depression early, and the nations of the world would begin to collapse.
    Without a functioning economy and with almost neverending death and disease, society as a whole is torn to shreds and the fundamental building blocks of countries and civilizations cease to exist.

Eventually, the pandemic does end, but it leaves behind a devastated world that hardly resembles what came before. Almost no pre-outbreak government survived. They have all either become nonexistant or incapable of governing what was once their territory, leaving space for new countries and societies to rise. Countries like the League of St. Lawrence, a Quebecois state that would end up dominating not only Quebec but Ontario, the American Northeast and upper Midwest and even extending as far west as Winnipeg. Eventually though it would be felled by an alliance of two eastern American states: The Federal Government which controlled the rest of the eastern coast down to the Florida panhandle, and the Union Redevelopment Corporation, a massive Trade Syndicate that effectively took control of the American midwest and upper south. After their spat with the League, they jointly occupied Canada. This would be less of a fruitful enterprise for both and more of an ultimate battlefield where the two would form a de facto rivalry over control of the new lands. Ulimately the Feds would win by releasing ultranationalist terrorists for both Anglo and Quebecois communities in Canada to fight each other and the URC, driving them to bankrupcy and allowing the US the casus belli it needed to take full control of all territories and form the United States of North America. Now it sets its sights on the untamed west, where thuggish horseback raiders, independent agriculturalists, and a depleted Republic of Texas fight against each other.
    Most of the story would take place following the massive developments in the east coast I described, which happened in the 60s, some 40 years after the collapse. These developments inevitably would drive those disaffected or displaced out of what would become the USNA. The main direction these people moved was west, where a patchwork of factions and microstates had emerged with no real power among them, mainly due to the constant raiding and extortion of settlements by gangs and semi-nomadic raiders who took advantage of the flat terrain of the great plains to create small but effective groups of raiders on horseback who could blitz any undefended settlement if they failed to pay for protection. These protection rackets eventually would grow big enough to conflict with each other, leading to gang warfare on a large scale and the creation of distinct identities for each gang to distinguish themselves. These raiders became tribes and cultures of their own, and some became large enough to establish proto-states from the great lands they brought under their protection, and building static compounds as testaments to their power. These nomads were often played against one another by the remaining independent settlements, which became something similar to city-states, hiring different tribes and sending them to fight others. Meanwhile they reaped powerful rewards from trade revived by their powerful guarantees of safe passage. It was not a wholly stable situation, but it was comprehensible, and for many who had been dispossessed by the League War and the Canadian revolts and subsequent genocidal militia raids, it was enough to be better than their old positions. The only real threat to the wild and untamed situation was the Republic of Texas, but its honeymoon of independence had long passed, and now it was plagued by corruption and incapability of defending its claimed borders from Nomads and Banditos alike.
    DISCLAIMER:
    This is not an idealized setting by any means. This is basically a 1971 in which everything about the 20s is idolized as being from a time when you didn't have to wipe your ass with poison ivy, including the social climate. So that means there will be plenty of smoking, drinking, cursing, racism, sexism, bigotry, lead paint, and asbestos in keeping with that. Minority, Homosexual, Catholic, Jewish, Foreign, or generally health minded characters beware! :P

So, anyone interested?
    2 people like this post: taulover, Mathyland
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count me in, boss.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • Count me in, boss.
    Welcome to the Wild Men, Gerrick
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Sounds interesting. My RL schedule is quite busy and I may be unable to participate fully (especially in the near future), unfortunately.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Hydra
  • Former Citizen
  • Hail Hydra!
  • I'd love to join, but life is really busy...  :(
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
    - Mae West
    Hydra
    • Hail Hydra!
    • I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • I'd love to join, but life is really busy...  :(
    Sounds interesting. My RL schedule is quite busy and I may be unable to participate fully (especially in the near future), unfortunately.
    If you guys have a rough estimate of when your schedules should start freeing up I could maybe postpone this...
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • "Gee, I dunno, hoss, I ain't exactly...wild...about the idea."

Speaking seriously though, what, the robber barons didn't see it as an opportunity for them to try and feudalize their company towns and become literal barons?
    Or the railway companies living it up exactly like they did in the late 1800s, because nobody is really thinking too hard about the car, nor are there a lot of highways to use said cars, and so trains are still the predominant means of long-distance transportation?
    Now I'm kind of envisioning Fury Road on a train. And that seems awesome.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • "Gee, I dunno, hoss, I ain't exactly...wild...about the idea."

Speaking seriously though, what, the robber barons didn't see it as an opportunity for them to try and feudalize their company towns and become literal barons?
    Or the railway companies living it up exactly like they did in the late 1800s, because nobody is really thinking too hard about the car, nor are there a lot of highways to use said cars, and so trains are still the predominant means of long-distance transportation?
    Now I'm kind of envisioning Fury Road on a train. And that seems awesome.
    Locomotives require fuel, coal to be precise, which is absolutely nowhere to be found in the plains. When Appalachia finally stabilized enough to resume regular mining operations as part of a greater organized entity that could efficiently ship it, it was absorbed within what would become the USNA. Like I mentioned in the lore dump, the only safe and reliable means of travel is created by independent city states rich enough to bribe gangs to fight each other instead of trying to raid them. You could possibly get a train to Deseret from one of those places, though the further west you go the less safe it becomes. The rail companies were generally headquartered in the midwest, and after the collapse whichever ones survived in one form or another pretty much stayed within that region as the League and USA remnant nationalized their rail lines and the plains were simply too big to effectively maintain (remember also that even before the rise of raiding gangs, the locals hated these rail companies and without government intervention would have probably responded to any attempts at rail companies re-establishing themselves with very hostile resistance) while the west was out of their reach as a result. They were gradually acquired by the URC, which was then slowly neutered and overtaken by the Federal Government during the Canadian revolts in exchange for dealing with their terrorist problem. As for the robber barons, again basically none of them actually lived out in the sticks. They would be in some major city where they'd either die of the Spanish Flu or lock themselves in their mansions and wait it out rather than trying something stupid like a takeover of some pretty much valueless land. They generally stayed in the midwest and northeast and would be important in the development of the URC's massive trade syndicate and securing the independence of the Republics of New York and New England and would oversee their eventual fealty to the League of Saint Lawrence. Now the families have gained new power from overseeing the reconstruction of that region of America after the devastating war with the URC and the USA.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
  • Count me in too.
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Co-WA Delegate: June 13, 2016-present
    Hufflepuff student: April 9, 2016-present
    House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Citizen: September 6, 2016-present

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 23rd Underhusen - secretary
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

NationStates nation: March 11, 2016-present

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • Count me in too.
    welcome aboard pal
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • So it looks like we've got 4 people so far who have displayed both interest and commitment: Justinian, Doc, Mathyland, and me. By the Guild's rules, that's enough to get it started. I think after we start the actual applications and get everything fleshed out, we'll probably get at least a couple more people to join.
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • So it looks like we've got 4 people so far who have displayed both interest and commitment: Justinian, Doc, Mathyland, and me. By the Guild's rules, that's enough to get it started. I think after we start the actual applications and get everything fleshed out, we'll probably get at least a couple more people to join.
    Alright, I'll make the OOC now.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]