Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5

The Lore of Mithra

Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Writing Addict and Sadistic God of Mithra
  • Alright here's a post I did on another forum quite a while back on the Races of Mithra.

Please keep in mind this lore is work in progress and as such is subject to change. I also intend to redo this post to a better, higher quality.

The Races of Mithra. (Now updated)
    Spoiler
    While humanity is the dominant race on Mithra they certainly aren't the only ones.

There are the Elves whose natural lives can last two millennia. In the past, they stood equal to humanity ruling over strong and prosperous nations the largest of which being the Kingdom of Polletus which resided on the Western Continent of Galindia. Polletus was destroyed after a series of large-scale human revolts. which drove most of the elves of the west to seek a new home on the northern continent. Today, however, the elves are a but a shadow of their former selves. The elves of Polletus who ventured north were later invaded and enslaved by the Bothnians whom I will discuss later. The majority of the elves who still remain in Galindia live in the northeastern part of the continent in the Eclenian province of Haragladia where they live in relative peace.

The elves of the east, on the other hand, have never had their own kingdom but have instead lived side by side their human counterparts living, loving, fighting, and dying as equals.

Then there are the Dwarves the children of stone and metal, though of short stature they are usually stronger than the average human and elf. Gifted miners and smiths, nobility across the globe that can afford it take deep pride in their ownership of dwarven jewelry and will happily boast about it to their rivals. But for all their skills, intelligence, and curiosity the Dwarves are also known to be narrow-minded often writing off prototypes of revolutionary technology as unimportant, shunning those of their kin who pursue such foolish things.

Most of the Dwarves reside in the State of Rhiannon on the northern continent.

Finally, there are the Mendier. In ancient Myth Mendier are considered hybrids of humans and animals. They typically have animal features such as animal ears, tails, and sometimes claws. They have heightened senses compared to humans and have a strong connection with nature. However, they live for half or less than half the amount of time as humans.

One thing you must understand is that the Mendier are not one race, as far as we know there are three races of Mendier.

Wolfkin
    Spoiler
    The Wolfkin, living no longer than 45 years the Wolfkin are considered to be among the strongest intelligent creatures on Mithra. They share characteristics with wolves having wolf like ears, tails, and sharper more carnivorous type teeth. They stand at a hulking muscular average of 200cm tall with some reaching as tall as 250cm. What the Wolfkin lack, however, is a deep intellect and patience, maturing only to about the point of an irritable human teenager. Conversation with Wolfkin is juvenile at best and remember how I said that they're irritable, yes say one thing that even slightly offends them, I guarantee you won't leave that situation without at least a broken bone. Wolfkin are at their best when they're eating, fighting, hunting, or if it's the time of year, finding and screwing as many of the opposite sex as possible, that doesn't bar members of the other races I should mention, though there have only been known successful hybrids of Wolfkin with humans, and that goes for all Mendier. But due to the rather control lacking nature caused by the hormones of females in heat, Wolfkin usually go to designated places away from the rest of society just prior to the beginning of mating season to avoid any incidents.
    Due to their limited intelligence Wolfkin are a bit limited in careers they can take up, most go into either unskilled physically demanding labour work or something where they can put their fighting skills to use, they make damn good shock troopers with the right teachers. 

Felesons
    Spoiler
    Then there are the Felesons, sharing characteristics with cats including ears, a tail and a common trait of aloofness. The longest living of all the Mendier races with an average span of 50 years with an increasing number living as long as humans. Felesons are actually known for having the highest success rate of cross-breeding with humans which helps to increase their lifespans, and because of that longer lifespan, they are also the most intelligent of the Mendier races. They often take up careers in fields such as medicine, politics, and teaching. Like the Wolfkin though the Felesons have a mating season which can be rather intense, but Felesons usually have enough self-control that they don't have to worry about committing rape in the middle of the street however that said, female Felesons especially will usually take a couple of weeks off of work.

Lepesons
    Spoiler
    Finally there are the Lepesons, probably the saddest of the Mendier races, the Lepesons live no longer than 30 years and share characteristics with rabbits such as ears and a tail. They're also usually very timid and submissive, oh and they practically clone themselves in a short amount of time, the length of pregnancy for a Lepeson is 3 months and a Doe will give birth to an average of 6 kits, but this is somewhat balanced out by the fact that 3 in 12 Lepeson mothers will die giving birth and usually most if not all kits will be lost as well. Lepesons are less intelligent than Wolfkin, with a mental maturity akin to a human child, they know how to feed themselves and their young, they have a deep set paternal and maternal instinct, they can mate whenever they want (much like humans) and free Lepesons will usually spawn litters based on food availability. 

However there are very few free Lepesons in the world, this is partially because they have become incredibly dependent on humans to survive, but that's not really voluntary in most of the places where you find Lepesons (The largest populations of them residing in Burjion on the continent of Galindia, Soeria also on Galindia, and all over Nan Fang and Aspya on the eastern continent.) In most of the countries, I listed Lepesons were at one point or are currently enslaved, or live in a condition that is similar to it. In Soeria, Nan Fang, and Aspya most Lepesons live in rural communities working mostly as farmers as serfs.

In Burjion they have many Lepesons live alongside the regular human serfs but the Burjionese are rather notorious because the government has state-owned mega farms which are worked solely by mass bred Lepesons, the living conditions of Lepesons in these mega farms are similar to the horror stories vegans tell you about when they try to get you to stop eating meat. Oh speaking of which, the average lifespan of a Lepeson in one of these mega farms is 25 years or less, since after a few years of being overworked Lepesons in these places are slaughtered and then butchered before the meat is sold at a discounted price to people all across Burjion. Lepesons who try to escape these places are hunted down and killed by the Burjionese Commissariat's Order Keepers who wear the ears and tails of Lepesons they've killed as trophies. If Lepesons aren't living "free" out in the rural countryside with other human serfs or in the hell of the State Mega Farms then they might be in one of the State run brood facilities where the Burjionese in times before war will mass produce Lepesons for the purpose of using them in military service. In the days before the advent of the firearms, these "troops" were purely used as meatshields or cannon fodder. armed with either nothing or a long sharpened wooden pole. After the advent of firearms, they were armed with the oldest most pile of junk firearm that was lying around and used for the same purposes. Lepesons, as I mentioned before, are very timid and if you can get them trained enough to charge in the direction of the enemy that's a pretty big accomplishment, if you can get them to use a rifle without dropping it and running away in fear that's a god damn miracle, as you can imagine the life expectancy of these "soldiers" is less than nothing should they do their job right. The best possible living condition for a Lepeson in Burjion is to be bought by a government official or local noble to be kept as a house pet, it should be noted that some of these owners partake in using their Lepesons as sex slaves, in secret of course considering it's illegal for humans to breed with Lepesons in Burjion.

There is actually one other intelligent race that lives on Mithra, that being the Dragons.
    The most ancient and wise race in the world. Living for as long as 5,000 years by some accounts, today they are a rare sight as over the millenniums their population has slowly but surely decreased. Most dragons live solitary lives away from the human world. Some of them have over the centuries gone mad and been reduced to their primal instincts. Others have become great leaders and teachers to both others of their own kind and the other races. While Dragons live all over the world, the majority of them live on the southern continent of Albukana, where many live in the society of the Children of Jeddiam, and many others have been enslaved and turned to unintelligent animals by the humans of the Sarvanist State of Manat.

Finally I'd like to make a minor update to the religion post by adding the most recent religion we added.

The Children of Jeddiam more commonly known as Jeddites both worship dragons and are dragons. The Jeddites believe in Jeddiam the ancient dragon, who took in their ancestors when they were weak and hungry and treated these early humans with the same deep paternal love as he had his own children, they were treated all the same. Dragons and humans were as one. However some humans broke off from this peace, declaring the dragons inferior beings and the Jeddites disgraces to the human race leaving. These people formed the rest of humanity. Jeddiam was enraged at the humans for this, but still viewed those who stayed loyal to him and the dragons as his own, and so he told them that those who left must pay for their crimes, for they took his kindness and gave him only pain. The Loyal Children of Jeddiam then embarked on an eternal warpath against those who dared to defy him, but Jeddiam could not take seeing those whom he considered his children fight, and soon died of heartbreak. However he left behind a final wish that after he was gone that in his place one human and one dragon lead the Children of Jeddiam together.

Today the Jeddites have made peace with most of humanity, with one major exception. That being the Sarvanists. They who are descended from the first humans to leave and betray Jeddiam, the Jeddites do not even view them as human, they view them as demons who have been completely engulfed in evil, and rightfully so as the Sarvanists have enslaved dragons and driven those unfortunate enough to be born under their iron fists to the point of madness that leaves them in a state akin to horribly abused domesticated animals. 
    1 person likes this post: Gattoartico
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:40:54 PM by Fortis_Scriptor »

Fortis Scriptor
    • Big fan of good conversation
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Causal fantasy!!

The story of Jeddiam is pretty sad. Cool as heck, because of Lore, but sad in content. Gotta love mythology. Poor dragons under the Sarvanists. Hopefully things improve for them.

Mendier are pretty interesting, and I'm wondering how they showed up. Someone dun goofed with magic way back when? Ancient civilization had a genetics lab? (Rhetorical questions, don't answer that).

Dwarves! I hoped there were dwarves. Dwarves are cool and more boss than elves are.

So western/northern elves are isolationist while eastern elves co-exist with humans. Neat. Two thousand years seems a little too long a life.

Ah, that makes more sense for Marius. Silly stories taking all the credit. So these are written semi-in-universe?
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Well these days all the elves co-exist with humanity, the northern elves did so entirely involuntarily. The western elves for the most part also co-exist with the Eclenians though you'd be hard pressed to find an elf in Burjion, and if you did they'd probably be hanging from a tree with a brand of the Commissariat in their chest. I mean even the isolated Free Elven State of Madedla maintains an alliance with the Eclenians.

The vast majority of elves do not live to be 2,000 years old mostly due to disease and other unnatural causes of death. But to give an example of a rather long-lived elf that still stands to this day is the half-elf Lady Eleanor Aspada the daughter of Gaius Aspada, who for a long time lived in the Imperial Palace with her family, but after seeing them kill and backstab each other so much, she decided to move to Madedla to stay with her mother's kin but she is still very much alive in the 1880's.

Yes these are semi-in-universe for the sake of entertainment and to provoke questions.

Crush and I are working to put more of our own spin on both the elves and dwarves, but for now, they're rather generic.

Also when you said PC character earlier, might I ask what you meant? The only term of PC I know is Politically Correct, but I assumed you mean protagonist character.

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • Causal fantasy!!

The story of Jeddiam is pretty sad. Cool as heck, because of Lore, but sad in content. Gotta love mythology. Poor dragons under the Sarvanists. Hopefully things improve for them.
    Jeddiam is pretty sad, but thats why I love the story! I've not done much writing for this besides hammering out the mythology itself, but his story is one of my favourite.
    Mendier are pretty interesting, and I'm wondering how they showed up. Someone dun goofed with magic way back when? Ancient civilization had a genetics lab? (Rhetorical questions, don't answer that).

It might be rhetorical, but your less wrong then you think.... Don't know if Fortis will ever get into that part though, I don't know much about it myself :P

Dwarves! I hoped there were dwarves. Dwarves are cool and more boss than elves are.
    Of course there are dwarves! I play dwarf fortress! I couldn't make them a sock loving hivemind though, to my disappointment :P

So western/northern elves are isolationist while eastern elves co-exist with humans. Neat. Two thousand years seems a little too long a life.
    Two thousand years might seem long, then you remember Tolkiens elves live theoretically FOREVER. :P
    1 person likes this post: Fortis Scriptor
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • The vast majority of elves do not live to be 2,000 years old mostly due to disease and other unnatural causes of death.
    Thing is, life forms that have long life spans tend to breed slower. If they are dying out long beforehand, things may get messy. Unless magic = long lives, or Genetics happened. Or their kids hop out of their brains fully grown like Athena from Greek mythology. Then again, the fact that they do die from unnatural causes would offset things a lot. Nevermind then! =D
    Also when you said PC character earlier, might I ask what you meant? The only term of PC I know is Politically Correct, but I assumed you mean protagonist character.
    You got it pretty much correct, although I was meaning Player Character. It looked a lot like  The Main Characters Do Everything (TV Tropes warning).
    It might be rhetorical, but your less wrong then you think.... Don't know if Fortis will ever get into that part though, I don't know much about it myself :P
    Consider my interest piqued.
    Two thousand years might seem long, then you remember Tolkiens elves live theoretically FOREVER. :P
    They also were a dying race that didn't have any kids and didn’t hang with the pathetic lower races. I mean, they were magic and stuff.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Elves? Ah, the lowest of the low. Such tall, magnificent egotistical homicidal maniacs in fantasy! (But elves are fun tbh)

Dwarves? I like dwarves. They add narrative and shit *starts humming the Song of Durin* dwarves are always good.

Dragons? Dragons are honestly my favorite fantasy species to write. The might and majesty of them is captivating. For example my dragons of all variants originate in far ancient Japan (like 90,000 years ago idk) and there are the four dragon clans, Forn, Welniko, Dalgros, and Ruina Imper. Dragons are always fun to see the different interpretations of.

Wolfkin? This pleases the Wolf God. It returns merit to the 40 legions of the Dawn Wolves and the glories of the Dawn Forge. *shameless self advertising*
    But in all actuality they look like a fun species to have, though I would probably be guilty of making one that somehow managed to live for an extra thousand years and is patiently waiting to unleash the gods and decimate all lower life forms. Or is also a god in its own right, I'd be guilty of that too, so meh.

But intelligent species lists are always good!
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Hello, and welcome to the second part of the history of Eclenia, today I will be quickly going over the rest of the Aspada Dynasty, then the Eclenian War of Succession in the mid 16th century Gregorian calendar. Finally I’ll quickly pass over the Second Imperial Dynasty of Eclenia, the time of the Andolo Dynasty.

Spoiler

Following the abdication of Marius to his son Tiberius, the Empire passed into a new era of relative peace.

The rule of Emperor Tiberius was mostly uneventful as well as rather short, with only two important events occurring, those being first the death of his father Marius, and near the end of his rule in 1501 Eclenian engineers finish work on a new black powder weapon known as the arquebus which will eventually turn the page to the next chapter of war itself.

In 1507 Tiberius died in his sleep, the crown then passed to his eldest child, his daughter Katherine.

Katherine’s reign would see the Empire strengthen friendly ties with many of its neighbours, including Burjion and Soeria.

This would come to a head when in 1511 the King of Danzia, (A country neighbouring Eclenia in the southwest,) died without an heir causing the nation to fall into chaos. Seeing an opportunity the Eclenians, Soerians, and Burjionese formed a coalition and intervened in the war in 1517 partitioning Danzia. This expanded the border of the Eclenian Province of Antilonica further west and even connected Soeria and Eclenia’s borders by land which would bring about more trade and immigration.
    This war also served as the first field testing grounds for the arquebus. Which had problems but was positively received by Eclenian soldiers.

By 1523 the Eclenian Army fully adopts the arquebus and begins developing tactics for its use.

In 1542 Empress Katherine dies, her son Merrick taking the throne after her.

Merrick’s reign was utterly uneventful as far as world politics was concerned. This was however not due to things not occurring, it was more that Merrick simply was not interested in such things. He was by most records a rather weak ruler with a big heart. He spent much of his time working to improve the quality of life of the people and made many large donations to the clergy including the funding to build the new and very magnificent Seric of Uriel in the Capital of Fenrock which stands to this day.

However it was Merrick’s folly in the field of love that would nearly bring Eclenia to destruction. Merrick first married the Lady Christina, whom he loved very much, but neither Merrick, nor his wife was fertile, and as such, they could not produce an heir. They did, however, adopt a child, Edmund, who would be a good and loyal son and for many years heir apparent. But in 1545 Christina fell ill and died under mysterious circumstances.

Soon after in 1547, The Emperor was seen courting the lady Gretta of house Longtad, a woman two years younger than Merrick’s adopted son Edmund. Gretta was a widow, her husband dying in a hunting accident in the same year as Christina’s unfortunate death.

Later that year they were married, much to the disgust of almost every party but the two lovers and Gretta’s family.

Gretta had a son, James, from her last marriage, who Merrick took as his own son. 

In 1550, Merrick too would die leaving his wife Gretta as regent until a successor could be chosen.

The Noble families of Eclenia then began putting support behind a few possible candidates from among the emperor’s relatives to claim the throne. The considered heirs being, Edmund Aspada, the adopted son of Merrick, who saw little support from the nobility but much from the clergy, much of the general public in the Capital region, and the Knights of the Red Rose the order which Edmund was a member.

Then there was Scott the Third of House Fortuin The Silver Mask House, who saw support from the nobility and people of the Highlands of Northern Eclenia. They traced their lineage back to Marcus Aspada, the second son of Marius. They also were on friendly terms with the House Sotiris from Haragladia, as Scott’s brother Robert was married to Sarah Sotiris.

Next there was Elandor of House Sotiris, from Haragladia, tracing their line back to Sarah Aspada the fourth child of Marius. They saw support from all of the nobility and people of Haragladia, as well as much support from Northern Eclenia. In fact, as far as the general populace was concerned Elandor and Edmund were neck in neck for support throughout the Empire.

Finally there was Vincenzo of House Andolo, from Mercia. House Andolo, tracing their lineage back not only to Lita Aspada, the younger sister of Empress Katherine, but also to the royal family of The Kingdom of Mercia in years long past. The Andolo’s would receive almost all of their support from Mercia and Antilonica (Which are the largest havens of Auskelism in the Empire). While they were by all accounts the closest in blood relation aside from Lady Eleanor Aspada, who had refused to be considered as an heir. They were also Auskelists which made them incredibly unpopular among the majority of Eclenians who were Felbrists.

A year after the death of the Emperor the candidates for succession gathered in Fenrock to hear the conclusion by the Imperial Regent Gretta. She took up her spot on a podium in front of all of them and said that while going through her husband’s office she had discovered a document which claimed her son James as the rightful successor to the throne.

The other candidates were furious and saw this as nothing more than a blatant power grab by House Longtad.

Within a year Eclenia would fall into chaos. The various nobles and other groups choosing whichever candidate they supported and taking up arms in their name.

The Eclenian War of Succession had begun with the many different groups boiling down to three factions.

There was the Northern Alliance which was led by House Fortuin, and contained the supporters of Edmund Aspada, as well as the supporters of House Sotiris.

To the West was the Auskelist League all in support of House Andolo.

And to the South, The Usurper Crowned House of Longtad and all their supporters including the Praetorian Guard and the Knights of the Imperial Retinue based out of Fenrock, who pledged their fealty to the Boy Emperor James, and the Imperial Regent Gretta.

At first, the Northern Alliance saw victory pushing the Longtads and the Andolo’s back before capturing the Capital of Fenrock in 1555 at which time they searched for the Harlot Empress Gretta but discovered she had escaped during the siege leaving her 11-year-old son Emperor James behind. He would soon be executed for being the usurper he was.

After the execution of the False Emperor James, the Northern Alliance now had to face their other rivals in the Auskelist League who the surviving Longtads had pledged their fealty to.

As it stood, the most likely next in line was House Sotiris’s candidate as Edmund and Scott the Third had fallen during the siege of Fenrock, but even Elandor was badly injured.

For months negotiations were held between the Andolo’s and the Northern Alliance before finally a deal was struck.

In 1556 to the surprise of almost everyone in the nation, George Fortuin, Scott the Third’s 4-year-old son was named successor and crowned.

It seemed as though peace was restored, but it would not last. Later that year on the night of the new emperor’s 5th birthday the Imperial Palace was attacked by the Praetorian Guard along with unknown assassins, almost every one of the House of Fortuin was massacred. All but the children of Robert and Sarah, who hid in the kitchen protected by their bodyguard one of only a few Praetorian Guards who did not turn coat.

The next day the gates of the blood-soaked Imperial Palace were decorated by the heads of the leaders of the House Fortuin, with the head of the young George at the very top of the gate with the words False Emperor carved into his forehead.

It was soon discovered that the attack was orchestrated by the Longtad’s and the Andolo’s

The Andolo’s would then place the young Lady Despina on the throne, a girl no older than 12.

The Sotiris’s outraged by the loss of not only their allies but of a family member would do their best to avenge this betrayal aiding the leaderless Fortuin’s in war against the Andolo’s.

The war would drag on for another 2 years, when Vincenzo and his daughter the child Empress Despina, were betrayed by Vincenzo’s brother Alonzo. Alonzo had been a Knight of the Realm and a Praetorian Guard, his way of life was led by honourable conduct, and the massacre of the Fortuin’s had robbed him of any respect and eventually loyalty to his brother.

Alonzo led a coup against his brother and niece. Resulting in the death of Vincenzo, and the exile of Despina.

Soon after Alonzo made peace with the Sotiris’s and offered them not only their rightful place on the throne but his very life, as his heart was full of regret for the shame and dishonour his brother had brought upon their glorious empire. However, Elandor refused stating that if anyone, Alonzo was the rightful ruler of the Empire, both by blood and by character.

Thus the Eclenian War of Succession, and the Time of the Child Emperors came to an end as Alonzo “The Righteous” Andolo, took the throne as the Empire’s 8th ruler.

And so began the era of the Andolo Dynasty, the longest era in Eclenia’s history. It would serve a time when issues of religion and economy would dominate the nation.

The first issue faced by the Andolo’s during their reign was that of religion. The House of Andolo was famously Auskelist and from the time of Alonzo to his Great Grandson the Andolo’s and the Eclenian clergy kept a mutual respect for one another, but in the early 17th century the Emperor Nikaros Andolo came into conflict with the Felbrist Clergy.

Nikaros was unlike his predecessors as he was a devout Auskelist, and sought to reform the Eclenian Clergy to follow his denomination. Such thinking coming from his mother who was born of Danzia, and was increased twofold by his wife who was a princess of Burjion.

It was, in fact, this that caused bloodshed. The Incarnate of Uriel, very much disliked the Auskelists and more specifically the incarnate of Raguel. The Head of the Eclenian Clergy often chose to vent his hatred for his rival upon the Empress who claimed Raguel as her patron attendant.

On one particular night during the Feast of the Martyrs, the Incarnate of Uriel in a drunken rage openly insulted the Empress calling her a whore more fit for the Temples of Pleasure led by the Chosen of Jophiel than as the Imperial Consort. Emperor Nikaros was by no means a violent man but he too had been drinking quite heavily and he would not stand by allowing the Incarnate to stain his wife’s honour. He drew his sword and warned the Incarnate that if he spew one more insult upon his wife that he would cut his tongue from his head and feed it to the dogs.

The Incarnate responded by drawing his sword as well and attacking the Emperor.

Every guard in the room raised their weapons to one another whether they be for the Emperor or the Incarnate.

Fortunately, the Grandmaster of the Loyal Knightly Order of Haragladia arrived with his men to break up the fight. Unfortunately, he had not arrived in time to save the Incarnate of Uriel.

During the scuffle, The Empress had attempted to separate her husband and the Incarnate, but the Incarnate struck the Empress across the face knocking her to the ground. This enraged the Emperor even more and with one decisive blow he struck the Incarnate down.

In public, the Eclenian Clergy were furious about the incident, though they realized it was the Incarnate who had started the fight it was by no means acceptable for the Emperor to kill him.

In private however such a blessing couldn’t have come at a better time, with the moral high ground they could stamp out any chance for the Emperor to change Eclenia to an Auskelist nation thus securing their position of power in the empire, they also decided to make an example of the Emperor and thus make headway in converting more of the population in the west to Felbrism.

They demanded recompense for the blood spilt, and so they left the Emperor with two choices. Hand over his wife to the Clergy to pay for causing the death of the Incarnate, or the Emperor and all of his family must convert to Felbrism.

It was an impossible decision, but he chose the personal blow converting himself and his whole family to Felbrism.

The King of Burjion, and the Auskelist Clergy were horrified and terribly angry. The King cut off his sister from any and all communication with the rest of the family, sending a letter stating that she would also be wiped from the family tree and other such things including portraits.

This event caused large amounts of strain between Eclenia and the majority of its neighbors including Burjion and Soeria.

The Empress, overcome with grief was eventually driven to suicide.

Nikaros grew bitter and swore he would take revenge on the Clergy for what they did to him and his family.

He began by officially branding the Priests of Jerahmeel as pirates and sending the Eclenian Navy to actively fight Incarnate of Ceske (The island nation that the incarnate of Jerahmeel calls home) ships.

The Emperor would also make other moves to screw over the clergy in such a way that they could not retaliate.

The Eclenian Clergy and the Andolo Dynasty would never again be on good terms, with Andolo Emperors either being unreligious or actively in opposition to the Clergy through the grudge created during the time of Nikaros.

Nikaros would die in 1635 leaving his son Francis to succeed him.

Francis grew up dealing with the loss of his mother at the hands of the Clergy and had no love for them. He was also a gambler, a big one. Over the time of his rule, he would mostly see the ruin of Eclenia’s economy due to massive overhauls he made to the Navy and using Imperial funds as his personal piggy bank when he needed to try and pay off a debt, which in turn left the nation in rather deep debt.

The largest success he would see in his time would be in the Soerian-Eclenian War, which saw the Eclenian Navy battle against the Soerians in one of the largest naval battles in history. Resulting in Eclenian victory, and the destruction of the Soerian slave trade, and the passing of control of the majority of the southeastern island colonies from the Soerians to the Eclenians.

By the time Francis died in 1647, the nation’s economy was on the brink of collapse, which brings us to William I “The Drunk” Andolo The grandson of Nikaros. Who ruled from 1647-1672

Emperor William the First was not considered a very religious man he often scoffed at the idea of curses and repercussions from breaking taboos, but all of that changed when he broke a taboo that was known to kill people. William had inherited a mess of a country and had to be creative in fixing it from day one.

He eventually found a gold mine in the form of the altars’ of Jerahmeel where hundreds of years worth of money and treasure had been built up. It didn’t hurt that it was also a massive screw you to the Eclenian Clergy.

So against the advice of every single one of his advisors he took enough treasure from the altars of Jerahmeel to pay off the country’s debts and to jumpstart the economy bringing Eclenia into a golden age of trade and overall improvement of the quality of life.

Shortly after this occurred William was scheduled to take a trip to Nan Fang to secure a monopoly trade agreement for muskets, but his carriage had a wheel break on the way to the port and he missed the ship. That ship then went down in a storm within a day after leaving port all hands lost. William was shaken by this ordeal but was sent overboard when he was visited by a Priest of the Seric of Jerahmeel who warned that Jerahmeel had marked him for death and to save himself from this fate he would have to avoid water at all cost. Some have said that there were other water-related incidents that had occurred previous to this meeting that convinced him that the Priest was telling him the truth.

From that time on William avoided water at all cost, he was given sponge baths by Feleson servant girls. (Felesons are supposedly fearful and can sense ‘dangerous’ water)  He had the fountains in the Imperial Palace blocked off and if it rained or if there even seemed to be rain clouds in the sky he wouldn’t leave the Palace.

He also stopped drinking water entirely and began to live off of wine and whisky He imported the best booze from around the world and became very well-versed in the art of alcohol. This led him to be very often drunk which earned him the moniker of William the Drunk.

As the years went on living in fear of water he eventually went mad. The final straw to prove it was when he tried to appoint his pet lion the Incarnate of Uriel which thoroughly angered the actual Incarnate and the rest of the Eclenian Clergy, though the Clergy had always disliked William.

He went on to rule for another 12 years taking many times off when the madness was quite prevalent. All of it would come to an end when he was one day found dead in the fountain at the centre of the Imperial Garden drowned. There was a large crack in the stone plug that kept the fountain dry for 22 years.

He left a legacy as a warning to not steal from the Attendants and as a saint and patron of tavern owners and those who brew alcohol.  Many taverns across the world bear his name to this day.

Unfortunately, Williams hard work to renew the Eclenian economy would soon be squandered again by his grandson who during the entirety of his reign repeat all of the sins of his great grandfather and none of his good deeds. He was overindulgent in and a general bastard of a man who spent more time taking part in orgies held by the Chosen of Jophiel than ruling the empire. He also showed no respect for the nobility and happily carried on with his family’s grudge against the Seric of Uriel. He didn’t even have a place in his heart for the common people who he found to be lazy and complacent. This would eventually bring an end to the Andolo Dynasty when in 1699 the nobility backed by the entirety of the empire would revolt against the Andolo’s.

By 1702, after the incredibly small forces of loyalist forces were defeated by the rebels. The Emperor capitulated to them being allowed to live by the mercy of his enemies, himself and his family being exiled to a small island nation south of Galindia.

Following the exile of the Andolo’s the victorious rebels begin working on establishing a new government under the monarchy. At first, this is dominated by the nobility who began the revolt but this is quickly quashed by a vocal minority who claim the people should have a good say in the government as well. So after months of negotiation and compromise the new government is put together under the Eclenian Constitution, now all that is left is to find what family shall ascend to the Imperial throne.

It is unanimously decided by the senate, clergy, and people, that the Sotiris family, claiming they rightfully should have taken the throne during the War of Succession and as such are still the rightful rulers of the Empire.

So in 1704 the era of the Andolo’s would officially end when Aaron Sotiris was crowned Emperor of Eclenia.

And so ends the second part of the History of Eclenia, next up we will be discussing the Sotiris dynasty as well as the Eclenian Civil War in detail.

Hope you enjoyed the post, and have a great day!.

3 people like this post: Gattoartico, Gerrick, Elbbsas
    « Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:10:44 AM by Fortis_Scriptor »

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • I looked to Tolkien and Warhammer Fantasy for the original inspiration for my elves, (But if I ever take a look at BCE in detail they start to look a lot more Tamrielic in their politics,)

Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai Menu! *Sings song of Durin*

The Dragons in Mithra are a big mixed bag, one you come across could be equal to Merlin in a massive scalely form, and the next you come across will try to eat you because you smell like the colour purple, one of the other things I forgot to mention is that a good number of them are at this point senile...

The Wolfkin are a funny bunch, scary, but funny.  :P

Glad you liked it Gatto!

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • I love the lore of this world in its fullness. It is all beautifully developed.

So my only question for know is do the Mendier (specifically the Wolfkin) have their own gods? If not you can cannibalize an old and defunct version of my lore for Royan. Granted it's a version before Royan even became Royan.

But it consists of the Wild Gods, a pantheon of Human/animal hybrids that shift between both forms or exist half and half. I don't use them simply because the lore has evolved far beyond them. The Wild Gods though have servant species such as the Bearkyn and the Wolfkyn to act as the chosen vessels of their will.

In my lore they were ruled by Cernunnos, the Horned God, or sometimes called the Green Man. The Wild King of the Wild Lords. Now the Wild Lords only existed for the major carnivores/herbivores, they also had their own political relations based around diet and species relations. Such fun.

Take them if you want I don't care, if you don't that's fine too. If you do take them modify them all you want, my only request is you keep the name of the Wolf God, Ze'ev Domi (Ze'ev is Hebrew for wolf while Domi is a modified version of the Latin word Dominus meaning Lord) 'aight, I'll be done self advertising tonight.
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Good question, in essence, no the Mendier do not have their own gods. However, they play a very big part in the mythologies of the various nations, the Wolfkin, in particular, have an incredible bond with the Bothnians with more than a couple Wolfkin appearing as heroes in Bothnian history.

There are also some Siglaeism based folk religions that have popped up among the Felesons in Eclenia as well.

I will consider cannibalising some of those names from your old lore for the aforementioned folk religions.

Thank you, glad you liked the new posts, not sure if you got around to the second Eclenia post as it is huge and it's rather late. But anyways hope you have a good night.

To everybody else when you get the chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on the second part in Eclenia's history.

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • I did read the second part of the history and thought it was pretty great. It makes the Eclenian Empire just that much more believable, because not everything always goes good for the Empire.

But Night y'all!
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Hello everybody and welcome to the third post on the history of Eclenia. Today we will be going over the Sotiris Dynasty.  :D

I hope you all enjoy it, and please feel free to give me feedback it really helps  8)
    Spoiler

The rule of the first Sotiris Emperor, Emperor Anders, was long and slow. For he was faced with an even worse economy than Willem I, but he did so valiantly. First with gracious help from the clergy the nation’s infrastructure was completely overhauled. Then a campaign to improve housing in all of the cities of Eclenia was launched encouraging noble orders to help fund and build these new living spaces as honourable servants of the people. Finally, the Emperor began an internal cleansing of the government from top to bottom with the goal of rooting out corruption. This would lead to some violent encounters in Eclenia’s abroad holdings where local garrison commanders had abused their power to become warlords of their own little domains.

By the end of his 42-year reign in 1746, the project to overhaul the infrastructure of Eclenia was complete, and the other two projects were well under way. Anders would then hand the crown to his son Jyris, who would continue his father’s work as well as oversee the Eclenian Army’s first land war against a foreign entity in nearly a century when the State of Rhiannon made a push to expand their domain into the realm of Madedla.

The Eclenian army would stand equal with the forces of Rhiannon, for they had much respect for the Dwarves, many of them serving side by side in the expeditionary forces sent to Orliend to fight in the Eternal Aspyian-Fangese War.

The Eclenians, however, had the advantage from the beginning as the Elves knew their home better than anyone, and put the allied army in advantageous positions in every battle.

This war would also see a shockingly higher number of casualties on both sides as the flintlock muskets used were far more effective than the old matchlock arquebuses. The new innovation of the bayonet also served to make cavalry even less effective when infantry commanders had their men form makeshift pike squares with their muskets.

This would lead the Eclenian High Command to present the Emperor with a plan to completely reform and innovate the army to adjust for the modern battlefield. It was a tough decision that would slow the progress of other civil endeavours but the Emperor knew from looking at history, as well as looking at the world’s political situation that it would be worth the resources.

While the Eclenians had seen a series of political and economic instabilities, the Burjionese had it much worse. In truth the kingdom had never truly recovered its spirit after the humiliating defeat at the hands of the Eclenians under Marius in the 15th century, and that had only been compounded as the Soerians had taken a chunk of their southern territory, and over time other factions moved towards independence winning it at any turn of bloodshed.

It was this that led to the Glorious Revolution to regain Burjionese pride. Which saw the entirety of Burjion’s royal family and much of its nobility slaughtered at the hands of angry peasants and soldiers in 1759.

The power vacuum that followed this chaos would leave Burjion a politically splintered nation. With two factions winning out over their smaller rivals before calling a mutual agreement to hold power over their domains while keeping a united national identity. Those factions being the Auskelist Clergy where much of the populace which did not take part in the revolution turned to for guidance. And on the other was the so-called Royalist Party which was made up of the few remaining nobles, the surviving remnants of the royal army, and the rest of the revolutionary populace.

They were led by the new rightful “King” a man by the name of Mickael Dupont, who started out as a minor noble with a commission in the royal army, but through his clever, and brutal skills in political warfare he worked, cheated, and backstabbed his way to his new “royal” status. The last man standing more like.

Spurred on by their newly regained pride as a nation Dupont would lead his people, with some reluctant support from his counterpart in the Incarnate of Raguel, to take vengeance on the evil Eclenians who stole land that was rightfully Burjionese. Referring of course to Mercia and Antilonica.

So began the Burjion-Eclenian Wars. Over the course of the next 50 years, the Burjionese would launch attack after attack at the Eclenians all ending in horrible defeat for the Burjionese by standard military and political terms. But the Burjionese celebrated victory after every campaign. They cherished their fallen, claiming any who felled an Eclenian was a heroic martyr. As worthy of praise as the martyrs of the great human revolts in ancient times.

Just as a quick side note I’d like to make a slight tangent to discuss one of the heroes of the Burjion-Eclenian Wars. General Drystan Bernold. Drystan established himself during the beginning of the Burjion-Eclenian War, saving a unit of men that he led in one of the very few battles the Eclenian’s lost when the army he was part of was ambushed. Coming to the attention of the Emperor an ageing Jyris Sotiris, who was desperately looking for good men to leave to his son, he soon found himself leading a successful Eclenian War effort at the age of 30. He would lead the Eclenian Army through most of the Burjion-Eclenian Wars until dying of wounds he sustained in battle at the age of 70.

But the Burjionese weren’t the only ones to stir up trouble with the Eclenians at this time. The nation of Al-Uzza pressed claims on Al-Lat in 1779, causing years of diplomatic maneuvering which Eclenia barely won thanks to the great diplomat Jaron Meurig.  And on top of it all, the Bothnians made a great deal of effort to raid Eclenian shipping throughout the century.

By the time the Imperial crown passed to Emperor Roucil Sotiris in 1794, the Burjion-Eclenian Wars would be near their end as the near constant stream of sending soldiers into the Eclenian meatgrinder had taken a massive toll on the Burjionese. In 1811 the Incarnate of Raguel, Ferrhon put his foot down with the Royalist Party and signed a peace treaty with the Eclenians.

After the treaty of Redris (The Regional Capital of Mercia) in 1811, the Eclenians would see 20 years of relative peace, the only conflicts being small engagements in the colonies, the continuous fight to end Bothnian, and Ceske (Priests of Jerahmeel) piracy (As pointless an endeavor that was the Navy was very proud of their pet project…) and the expeditionary forces in the eternal Fangese-Aspyian War.

The Eclenians during this time would finish the projects put in place by Emperor Anders and Jyris, as well as see the beginnings of the rise of the Merchant Party of Eclenia who over the course of the 19th century CE would build a massive following among the common populace of Eclenia, as well as among some of the Sotiris family, but were openly opposed by the long entrenched Nobility.

In 1830 the Elcenians would take part in the Yapian War in Nan Fang. The Yapian War is an incredibly complex conflict but to bluntly simplify it. The Yapian War was a rebellion in eastern Nan Fang by nationalist rebels of the once sovereign nation known as Azuma. The war gains its name from the drug which was circulated through Nan Fang previous to and into the rebellion, by the Azuman rebels. The Eclenians became involved in the conflict because an Eclenian diplomat was killed when the Azumans assassinated the crowned prince of Nan Fang, the diplomat was also a member of the Eclenian Imperial family. The Eclenians would send a massive (By Eclenian standards) military force to Nan Fang to aid their ally and take honourable vengeance on the Azuman rebels.

This brings us to the most well-known part of Eclenia’s involvement in the war, that being the Sakura No Numa incident. Sakura No Numa or the Swamp of Cherry Trees was the most important religious site for the Azumans, it also served as a massive stronghold for the Azuman rebels. The Fangese were well aware of this, so when an allied brigade was dispatched to pacify the region the Fangese commander was more than happy to give the Eclenian regiment assigned to the brigade the honour of taking the vanguard.

The 51st Eclenian Fusilier Regiment, from Legio XXIV, II Corps (Based out of Antilonica) Eclenian Army marched into the fog of the Sakura No Numa, One thousand men entered. Three weeks later one hundred and fifty men, only six of them officers would come out. Among them a nineteen-year-old lieutenant by the name of Titus Greene. A man who would spend most of his career haunted by the memories of Sakura No Numa, but he would prove himself one of the greatest heroes in Eclenian history decades later, but that is a story for later.

They had been ambushed by a highly skilled, and highly agitated enemy who were by all historical accounts the eastern mirror image of Eclenia. The regiment was massacred.

In response to this serious offence, the Eclenians dispatched a special unit of Elven Fire Mages, some veterans of Marius’s campaigns to Sakura No Numa. Their orders were simple, burn every last inch of the swamp. The Elves carried out the order with extreme prejudice taking vengeance for their fallen brothers and sisters.

There is one detail of this act of righteous revenge that is never mentioned, that being that many of the Eclenian soldiers of the 51st who escaped protested the burning of Sakura No Numa because it wasn’t a staging area for militants, it was, in fact, the hiding place for their families. There were an estimated fifty-five thousand civilians taking refuge in the swamp.

The Legatus of Legio XXIV, General Nefiron Gordis, ordered the Elves to carry out their orders anyway, he was so blinded by the shame and anger at the loss of one of his most decorated regiments he didn’t care about the civilian cost, branding them as militants by association, and thus equally guilty of killing his men.

It is said that if you walk the charred remains of Sakura No Numa you can still hear the screams of the dead on the wind.

Those screams were for sure carved into the souls of the survivors of the 51st who looked on in horror as their commander ignored their protests and burned the swamp to ashes. Those same men were branded as cowards and enemy sympathisers, something very rarely branded on Eclenian soldiers as typically their philosophy was to treat enemy prisoners and civilians as you would your own people. But General Gordis made sure to forever shame the men of the so-called ‘fearful fifty-first’. Of the one hundred and fifty who survived the slaughter, at least thirty wouldn’t return from the campaign many committing suicide to redeem themselves for causing the death of innocence, or bringing shame on their empire and regiment.

Eventually, the Empress Elaine caught wind of Gordis’s horrendous crimes. She demanded that he be punished for what he had done, but the Senate thought it wise to keep it out of the public eye as they had dealt with more than enough shame already with the nearly destroyed regiment. So the Empress would order the Praetorian Guard to carry out the punishment on Gordis, quietly. They would reassign him to garrison duty in Al-Lat, and within a week of his arrival at his post, he would be found dead in his office his loyalty knife stuck deep in his chest. The word ‘justice’ written in blood on his desk.

The survivors of the 51st regiment would be shipped home and honoured by the Empress for their heroic sacrifices (Though the damage to their reputations was set in stone, they were all for the rest of their careers known as cowards.). Lieutenant Greene, would present the Empress with a gift of a cherry tree sapling which he had taken from Sakura No Numa shortly after the ambush. The Empress accepted the gift wholeheartedly, giving her daughter the Princess Dephena the honour of planting it in the Palace Garden (Which she maintained,) where it stands to this day, the last of the cherry trees of Sakura No Numa.

The war would leave mixed feelings among the Eclenian populace who wondered if honour was worth the lives of so many soldiers in what was, without doubt, a foreign war.

In 1853 the Merchant Party of Eclenia gained a majority in the Province of Mercia and began pursuing the goal of getting a voice in the Senate of Eclenia, which was by the constitution a position only someone of noble birth could hold. This outdated practice was the one thing keeping the nobility of Eclenia truly relevant, as the Merchant class was quickly dominating them in almost all other areas of influence. A great deal of some of the most powerful nobles in Eclenia were, in fact, indebted to some of the rich Merchant moneylenders. The fight was slow and hard, as the Eclenian nobility blocked any road to a change in the law that they could.

In 1868 Maria Sotiris would take the throne of Eclenia, giving the Merchants an incredibly powerful friend as she had been in support of their movement to change the law since she was a girl. In 1869 she would go before the Senate to discuss this very topic but would find herself yelled into submission by the majority of senators who were already having enough trouble as it was. They were very lucky Maria was such a patient and forgiving person, she was indeed a poster child of Eclenian virtues. Though she was often called Marius reincarnated, if Marius had received the tongue thrashing from the senators that Maria had in the same disrespectful manner they had put it on her. They would have found themselves quickly lacking heads on their shoulders.

After this event, the Merchants realised it would take something very big to sway the opinion of enough senators to change the law. A trial by fire, and in 1874 the chance to prove themselves came when the Sarvanists invaded Al-Lat with a force five times the size of the one Marius faced after arriving in Al-Lat four hundred years before.

The Eclenian Third Corps of Mercia was next in the rotation to be assigned to the front, and when the recruitment drive went out for the war, supporters of the Merchant Party turned out in the tens of thousands.

It would indeed be the Mercians who would make up the majority of Eclenian mainland forces during the third Sarvan-Eclenian War. 

The Imperial Army shipped out with for the first time in over a century an Emperor directly in command. This was also the largest deployment of Eclenian forces since the time of Marius. With large elements of the First Corps Commanded by Empress Maria and the Imperial Consort her husband General Abil Rekard at that time in command of the Knights of the Imperial Retinue. The other elements included the Haragladian Legion, The Imperial Mages of the Arcane College of Darengi, and three of the Praetorian Guard Legions.

Then There was the entire land force of the Eclenian Marine Corps.

The Al-Lation, and Jeddite Legions of the Fifth Corps, and of course the entire Eclenian Third Corps, led by Aster Bernold the descendant of the great hero Drystan Bernold.
    There were many other units involved in the war, but these are the largest.

(I’ll now list off some of the smaller but still important units to take part in the war. From Eclenia) The Knights of the Red Rose, The Knights of the Tomb of Remiel, The Merchant Party Auxiliaries,  and the Brakian Legion of the Fifth Corps.

There were also forces from outside Eclenia, including a regiment of the Strennoran Guard Alpine Jaegers, The Dwarven Boar Lancers from Rhiannon, and the Fangese Foreign Aid Force which was a brigade of some of Nan Fang’s most veteran soldiers sent to aid Nan Fang’s allies should they call for it.

The Eclenian main army made landfall four months after the Sarvanists began their invasion, which the Al-Lation elements of the Fifth Corps had made a heroic, but failing operation to hold back. By modern record it is said the Sarvanist army during the third war numbered somewhere in the tens of millions, all clad in weapons and equipment that would have been top of the line in Marius’s time.

It would take two years to push the Sarvanists back to Manat. During which time soldiers of the Third Corps distinguished themselves in every engagement. They also bore the most casualties refusing to retreat during even the most desperate of battles. One particular example is the siege of Fort Bernold, in which after exhausting all of their ammunition the 40th Mercian Grenadiers, and the attached unit of Merchant Party Auxiliaries sallied out of the fort and charged the Sarvanist attackers, fighting in a melee engagement which lasted two whole days. At the end of it, the Eclenians stood triumphant, with twenty percent of their original force remaining.

After the last Sarvanist force was beaten in the late summer of 1876, the Empress Maria and her generals met in a war council like they had on many occasions over the past two years and discussed their next course of action. This meeting would see Maria live up to her ancestor, and decide to launch an invasion of Manat with the goal of eliminating the ever-present danger to the world that was the Sarvanist State of Manat.

The Army marched across the same desert trail the Imperial Army of Marius had done four hundred years before. They met the Sarvanists in the same desert canyon, this time though taking heavy losses beating the Sarvanists more outright. And then they met the Sarvanists again at the outskirt city where the Crowned Prince Gaius had fallen. This battle would last for two weeks as the city had tripled in size since the first invasion and the Sarvanists had not been able to evacuate it.

The Eclenians would again triumph over the Sarvanists and push further into Manat. Eventually being met in a frontline war which spanned more than a hundred miles and saw the Sarvanists make a hard stop on the Eclenian advance throwing millions of men into battle grinding down the Eclenian Army.

During one of these battles, the Imperial Consort would give his life defending the Empress, an action which had a similar effect on Empress Maria, that the death of Prince Gaius had on Marius. But Maria didn’t wait two weeks without speaking to let out her plan to fight to the bitter end. The day after her husband’s death. She said to her generals that she would not stop until all of Manat was ground into the sand under the heels of Eclenian boots.

The war would go on until 1879, once again fought to a bloody draw, which neither side would claim as anything other than victory. Though in Maria’s heart she saw it as a bitter defeat.

For the Merchants however it seemed victory was near, they had distinguished themselves to the level of the Haragladians and most of the talked about heroes and victories from the war sat on the shoulders of the Third Corps, and the Merchants.

This war would set the stage for an era of great change, a time when old would clash with new in a bloody brawl, The time of my main story, the Eclenian Civil War.

I hope you enjoyed part three of Eclenia’s history, covering most of the Sotiris Dynasty. Next up will be the last part of the Eclenian history series where I’ll be covering the Eclenian Civil War, which is the backdrop of my story.

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Hey guys just leaving a reminder that there's a new part of the Eclenian history lore, it seems to have been buried under other posts. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and expect a new piece of lore to be released before the fourth and final part of the Eclenian history series. I'll also be taking the Eclenian history down and replacing it with better-edited versions since my mentor read it and found the writing quality terrible. Which I'll admit to.

Anyways, I hope you have a good day and thank you again for taking an interest in the lore of my universe.

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Hey everybody and welcome to the next instalment of lore from Mithra, today I'm going to discuss the Haragladians.

I hope you enjoy, and please feel free to leave some thoughts and feedback it really helps.  8)
    Spoiler

Something that I realise about my little (That’s cute) series on Eclenian history, is that I haven’t covered one of the coolest, and badass groups that swear their fealty to the Eclenian Imperial Crown. Those being the Haragladians. “But wait!” You say, “you’ve mentioned the Haragladians a lot!” Yes, yes I have, but let me finish. You see the term Haragladian, can be used in more than one context. On the one hand, anyone who lives in Haragladia (especially before it became part of the Eclenian Empire) can be called a Haragladian, technically.

However, the other context is to describe someone who is of the Haragladian ethnicity. So now you’re probably wondering, “Okay why weren’t they covered in the race post. Well, The reason why is because the Haragladians are at first and second glance human. Now technically all of the races on Mithra share a common ancestry (To an extent) to the point that any intelligent race can crossbreed with humans. And any non-Mendier race can breed with any other non-Mendier race. The Haragladian ethnicity are in sort of a grey area, on the outside they have the same features as a human. It’s on the inside where things get a little funky.

First off, ethnic Haragladians live much longer than humans, living upwards of four hundred years. (Keep in mind that’s an extreme.) Most ethnic Haragladians live between a hundred and fifty, to two hundred and fifty years. (Should they die of old age, which is rare.) Now you’re probably wondering, “How by Ukonusko’s hairy ballsack, did that happen?” Well, that is still a topic of popular debate, but the most popular theories involve a lot of cross breeding between humans and elves.
    The true question is how said crossbreeding occurred. Something that is still known as fact is that the elves even in the days of the Kingdom of Polletus, who inhabited the region now known as Haragladia were far more friendly to humans than many of their compatriots. The human populace in the region was treated by far the best by Polletun standards. So the most popular, and happy theory is that when the great human revolts occurred many of the elves surrendered to the humans with little resistance, or they abandoned the region in favour of retreating to the great Darengi forest to the north. This theory is backed up by the way humans and elves still live together in Haragladia, as well as passed down tales of how things occurred from very old elves.

The other theory, however, is based out of a Polletun document which was discovered in the library of the Arcane College of Darengi. It was a letter from the governor of the province now known as Haragladia, to the Headmaster of the College. Which detailed a project to eliminate humanity not by whittling down their numbers through controlled slave populaces. But by crossbreeding elves with humans until there was nothing but a new elf/human hybrid race. With a hopeful dominance of elven heritage of course.

The third theory is related to the previous one as it is based out of the same document.

You see the translation of the document is sketchy as it is written in ancient Polletun in the noble dialect, which unfortunately no living person speaks or reads fluently today. On the one hand, the document reads something along the lines of what I spoke of before but, it is up to debate on what the Lord meant. It is clear that he wanted to cross humans of his region with elves. But the main thing that he’s pitching is what’s unclear. The first option I already spoke to you about. The other is that he intended to breed a specific warrior race for use the armies of Polettus.

Whichever version of the theory propped up by this document you support what is clear is that the Governor went ahead with his plan within his province and created the early form of the Haragladians. Though the human revolts occurred and the project could never be completed.

But now that you know how the Haragladians came to be let’s learn a bit more about them.

Haragladians are typically on the taller side for humans, with men being about 182cm tall in the modern day. The thing that makes them really stand out, however, is their burgundy coloured hair, and silver eyes, (A nod to their elven heritage.)

The Haragladians have upheld a warrior tradition for a very long time going at least back to the old Haragladian Empire, though depending on what you believe it may have been wired from their very inception.

They’re a hardy people, who have been known to be able to live in the worst conditions possible and still survive with a good level of strength. What they are most well known for however is their eyesight. Ethnic Haragladians can see as well at night as the average Joe can see during the day, if not better. A feature which the Felesons have bragged about for centuries, but Felesons do not possess the same strength or previously mentioned hardy nature that Haragladians do.

But the warrior prowess of the Haragladians has, unfortunately, lead them to become a sort of dying breed of human. This is due to a multitude of factors but to list them out. First of all, there is a chance that even a child conceived by two Haragladians won’t inherit the traits of their parents, this wasn’t as common in times before the second invasion of Haragladia by Burjion, but I’ll get to that in a bit. Next, Haragladian women have an unusually high rate of miscarriage, something which boggles doctors to this day. Some go so far as to say Haragladians have a higher chance of being infertile on either gender, but I personally don’t believe so. There’s also the problem that many Haragladians just don’t even try to have children or they get killed before having any. This has been one of the biggest problems in recent times, that and because of how tight-knit the Haragladians are, most see each other as brothers and sisters, and have relationships very similar to that dynamic which doesn’t promote romantic relations, as such many Haragladians marry outside of their ethnicity, which plummets the chance of inheritance to a one in a hundred births.

Finally, I’ll get to what truly doomed the Haragladian ethnic group. That, of course, is the various invasions of the Kingdom of Haragladia by the Empire of Burjion. More specifically to what we’re discussing is the Second Invasion. Up until that point in time, the dominant ethnic group in Haragladia was Haragladian, most people you came across were burgundy-haired, silver-eyed, Haragladians. But there were also minorities of regular humans of various groups, mostly from Eclenia in the south.

While the Eclenians had a geographic defense against the Burjionese, the Haragladians had to take them on toe-to-toe in open combat, where they were physically better, and they had a long military tradition. The invasions, however, were doing a number on Haragladia’s populace, the last nail in the coffin for their race being when the last ethnically Haragladian King issued a proclamation that all ethnic Haragladians must serve at least one decade in the Royal Army. It was illegal for them to take up any other profession until they had served their ten years. This was in response to massive troop losses in the early stages of the second invasion. This war, and proclamation by the crown devastated the Haragladians so badly that to keep their country intact they took in waves of mass immigration from neighbouring nations. Luckily the Eclenians were facing a near overpopulation which served well to repopulate Haragladia, but the Haragladian ethnic group would go into an ever shrinking minority.

When the invasion was over, the few ethnic Haragladians who remained had little interest in returning to the civilian lives of the previous generation, and as such the Haragladian race became a fully military breed of humanity, as the vast majority of Haragladians born were in military families.

By the 1880 Census of the Eclenian Empire, the number of ethnic Haragladians numbered no more than 80,000 persons. 93 percent of which are currently or have served in the Eclenian armed forces. By current trends, it is estimated that the Haragladian race will cease to exist by the mid 21st century gregorian calendar.

I will end by saying this, while the Haragladians may disappear from the world, they will never be forgotten.

Fortis Scriptor
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • I'm a bit late this time around.

The Dynasty post is great, really captures quality of rulers and history of a nation.

The Haragladian post is interesting indeed. Personally I'd say the reason for such low birth rates is an incompatibility within the genome leading to a decrease in successful births.

Haragladian history just seems pretty great in of itself though.
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5