Pages: 1 [2]

Gayming

Doc
  • Citizen
  • I mean...that just seems like a catch-22 to me.
    If they don't pick someone with 'the most sex appeal', you can then say 'they don't think that attractive women are lesbians'.
    And now that they did pick one, it's 'well she'll still draw the male gaze anyway'.
    There is literally no way to win.

EDIT: Note for clarity, I'm not saying that you specifically would say that, I'm saying that someone could say that (and very likely has in some other game/movie/book/comic/whatever).
    So sure, you might think 'oh well that's okay', but someone else could very well get annoyed at that.
     Hell, for all I know they could have just thrown a dart at a dartboard, because that seems about as good a way as any for me to pick whether or not someone's LGBT, considering this is a game where you're shooting people, not a game where you're having a nice chat with them and trying to pick up from patterns of speech/tone/body language whether they're into you or not (or just beat you over the head with them like in Andromeda; yes fine you shoot people there too but let's be real it's ancillary to the whole 'I wonder which teammate I'm going to take to Bonesville (halfway between Flavor Town and Titty City)' that seems to categorize literally every Bioware game since DA:O).
    « Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:50:41 AM by Doc »
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I mean...that just seems like a catch-22 to me.
    If they don't pick someone with 'the most sex appeal', you can then say 'they don't think that attractive women are lesbians'.
    And now that they did pick one, it's 'well she'll still draw the male gaze anyway'.
    There is literally no way to win.

EDIT: Note for clarity, I'm not saying that you specifically would say that, I'm saying that someone could say that (and very likely has in some other game/movie/book/comic/whatever).
    So sure, you might think 'oh well that's okay', but someone else could very well get annoyed at that.
     Hell, for all I know they could have just thrown a dart at a dartboard, because that seems about as good a way as any for me to pick whether or not someone's LGBT, considering this is a game where you're shooting people, not a game where you're having a nice chat with them and trying to pick up from patterns of speech/tone/body language whether they're into you or not (or just beat you over the head with them like in Andromeda; yes fine you shoot people there too but let's be real it's ancillary to the whole 'I wonder which teammate I'm going to take to Bonesville (halfway between Flavor Town and Titty City)' that seems to categorize literally every Bioware game since DA:O).

Well, I'll admit that it's really just a shooter with quirky characters but it's not as if Blizzard didn't go the extra step to give each character a back story and a little bit of depth. If they wanted to avoid scrutiny like this they probably should've just given players the ability to make a custom avatar. Personally, I can't say I disagree with your assessment of reactions to female LGBT characters. There's always someone on either side of the spectrum saying they aren't represented. But then, maybe companies could go a bit further and make more than one token LGBT character. I don't know. Doesn't sound to crazy to me. I get annoyed that many times my only representation as a gay man in video games is as an over the top flamboyant prancing gay dude used as a punchline for a joke.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • I don't really play RPG video games; I prefer table top. That being said, Tracer from Overwatch is an excellent character, and although she could be considered a stereotype of a 'hot lesbian', I don't think that was Blizzard's goal.
    If you don't like "hot" Lesbians, you can always look at Sera from DA:I
    Spoiler
    *shudders*
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I don't really play RPG video games; I prefer table top. That being said, Tracer from Overwatch is an excellent character, and although she could be considered a stereotype of a 'hot lesbian', I don't think that was Blizzard's goal.
    If you don't like "hot" Lesbians, you can always look at Sera from DA:I
    Spoiler
    *shudders*

Ohhhhh....that's not nice. I admit that her face seems a little umm...off though. But I think she was one of my favorite characters in that game honestly.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I loathed Sera the first time.
    Then I discovered I'd just missed her character development. Just like Fenris.
    I still think Fenris is a moody twat, but at least he's justifiably so.

I also try and remember that Sera is a teenager in Inquisition. She's far less judgmental, more supportive, and generally a better person in Trespasser.
    I believe we call that 'character development'.
    also she sent me a congratulatory email at the end of Andromeda so clearly Thedas is in Andromeda
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • I loathed Sera the first time.
    Then I discovered I'd just missed her character development. Just like Fenris.
    I still think Fenris is a moody twat, but at least he's justifiably so.

I also try and remember that Sera is a teenager in Inquisition. She's far less judgmental, more supportive, and generally a better person in Trespasser.
    I believe we call that 'character development'.
    also she sent me a congratulatory email at the end of Andromeda so clearly Thedas is in Andromeda
    Really? Because I mostly saw her as a borderline offensively stereotypical autist with a face that only a mother coud love.
    There's a reason I press the x button for every line of cringey dialogue she spews out.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Stereotypical? How so?
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • General "zomg so random" nonsense (GET ME TEH BEEZ LOL). Not to mention she reminds me A LOT of someone I knew when I was in Special Ed who I absolutely LOATHED.
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:15:25 AM by Justinian Ezkantion »
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I guess my point of contention here is that I'm not sure what exactly makes that a stereotype. So she does weird, childish nonsense. She's barely out of childhood. More on point, I think they're playing her exactly as the type of person a noble dilettante (because even if she's not actually noble, for some reason she was raised by a noblewoman as a surrogate daughter? that never made a lot of sense to me because why did that happen) who's running around playing at Robin Hood would be.
    spoilers
    Which is precisely why Solas loathes her. He thinks she's a revolutionary who could use a helping hand from Elf Lenin himself, and is quickly disabused of this notion by discovering that she's really mostly doing it for the shiggles, for all that she claims to be for the 'little people'. She's very much 'for the little people' in the same way that Batman 'fights crime'; it's just sort of an excuse to be violent to people in ways they find enjoyable.
    Also both THEIR PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAD.

On the other hand, if you hate her because she reminds you of someone you despise, well, them's the breaks. That can happen to literally any character.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2]