Pages: [1]

Legislature of Wintreath

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Instead of just blanket asking what kind of government is wanted, I thought perhaps it would be more beneficial to break it down into each branch...I have Executive pretty down pat, but Legislative should be discussed...it's the voice of the people. :P

What should the makeup of the branch be? What powers should it have, and what relation should it have with the Executive?

We already have one model that Charax suggested: a unicameral legislature, where the upper branch (Overhuset) would be appointed, while the lower branch (Underhuset) would be elected. There was some discussion on whether it should be a unicameral legislature instead, as well as the use and appropriateness of an appointed branch of the legislature.

So, let's get together and get this worked out so we can have elections. :D

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • Guys.

Srsly.

I've had a brainfruit.

What if the Riksdag served as an Upper House as well as a Cabinet? Just a thought.

On Upper Houses in general, I support them because it allows our most senior members to have a hand in the lawmaking process while preventing us from forming an Oligarchy. Also, it allows our judges to take part in the lawmaking process. If we've got capable legislators excluded from a Unicameral Legislature because they can't run in elections, they can still sit on an appointed Upper House and have a hand in the production of the laws they enforce.
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Skrifa of the 40th Underhusen
    Former Prince & Jarl of Foreign Affairs
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Saeturn Valerius
  • Former Citizen
  • I actually like that idea. It ensures experienced people have a hand in making sure things run smoothly.
    Saeturn Valerius
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • Which idea? I said two. :P
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • You did? :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • The Riksrad serving as the upper house, and also just a defence of Upper Houses in general. :P
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • But isn't the defense of an upper house just a defense of your first idea? :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Horse
  • Former Citizen
  • * Horse nods
    I like Charax's ideas.
    Horse
    • Has no clue how to do the the thing
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • Umm... ssh. :P
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Horse
  • Former Citizen
  • * Horse begins to shout at Charax
    Horse
    • Has no clue how to do the the thing
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • It sounds like the consensus is to go along with Charax's idea, and I have no problems with it myself, so I suppose we have our structure figured out. :)

The next question is the powers of the legislature.

I was interested in floating an idea to abolish the judiciary and transfer those powers to the other two branches of government. Specifically that the lower house would have the ability to hear and decide criminal and civil cases and address any questions of laws which they pass...who better to answer them than the branch that's drafting the laws? I pulled this idea from the Roman Senate, which had similar authority early in the Imperial Era, before they lost most of their power to the Emperor.

While the judicial decisions of the lower branch would be final, the Executive would have power to pardon anyone found guilty in a criminal case, technically meaning they would still be guilty but would serve no punishment. I pulled that from Imperial Russia. :P

If we wanted to further integrate the idea of fuedal times, we could make it so the lower branch could hear cases against common Citizens, and the Riksrad/Monarch could hear cases against the nobility (since technically the Riksrad is the nobility of Wintreath). If this is of any interest Id' need to research this out further.

I just wasn't happy with the judiciary in Spiritus at all...it was largely inactive, difficult to appoint people to, and was so insulated that Justices could make unreasonable rulings and get away with it. On the other hand, I'm not entirely comfortable with simply being able to dismiss Justices either. I want to be an oligarch, but I'm not really a tyrant...I don't want to be seen as getting rid of people that don't 100% agree with me on everything, if that makes sense.

Any thoughts? I know it's judicial, but it largely impacts this branch as well.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Saeturn Valerius
  • Former Citizen
  • While I think it's a good idea to keep the judiciary slightly less closed, I don't like the idea of letting the legislature handle the judiciary process. I feel the general citizenry should have a greater say in the judiciary if we're going to give Wintermoot full sovereignty over the region and the Riksrad double as an upper house. I think elected justices that have to come to a united verdict in all cases, criminal and legal, would put a greater check on frivolous rulings and gives the people a little check on the rest of the government.
    Saeturn Valerius
    L. James Talleyrand
  • Former Citizen
  • In addition to the hearing trials the Judiciary branch should be tasked with making sure that laws passed by the legislature conform to the regional constitution, sort of a checks and balances.
    L. James Talleyrand
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • I agree. Perhaps the Retten could sit on the Overhusen?
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]