Pages: 1 2 [3]

The Century Foundation: Putting Democracy Back into Public Education

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Do you know what the problem with Democracy is? Voters. And the media. Political parties. Politicians. Judges. Biased elections. Gerrymandering. Money. Really, it's humanities fault. But you know what? There is no better system. Weiss talks a good game but a science mandate would terrify me just as much as a religious rule or an autocracy. And as long as there is universal voting stupid people will vote against their best interests no matter what. And don't forget, parties will still form, they just won't be called parties. No system will ever work. Ever.
    4 people like this post: Barnes, Weissreich, BraveSirRobin, Imaginative Kane
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • Well, so long as we require a physical incentive to do the work involved for the things which keep our society functioning (poorly when it comes to governance) the results will remain constant. The fact of the matter is we're just too lazy and petty to do anything because society as a whole benefits from keeping our water clean, growing crops, building/fixing homes, etc. Unfortunately for the foreseeable future we're just not capable of getting out of our own way. So until we do things are just going to get worse.

If you find a politician that does his job because it needs to be done instead of because he/she can line their pockets at the expense of the people he's supposed to represent then you'll have found a miracle. Maybe even hope. Honestly though, don't hold your breath.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Do you know what the problem with Democracy is? Voters. And the media. Political parties. Politicians. Judges. Biased elections. Gerrymandering. Money. Really, it's humanities fault. But you know what? There is no better system. Weiss talks a good game but a science mandate would terrify me just as much as a religious rule or an autocracy. And as long as there is universal voting stupid people will vote against their best interests no matter what. And don't forget, parties will still form, they just won't be called parties. No system will ever work. Ever.
    Nah, it's not a science mandate, it's a one party scientific oriented collective representative direct democracy ;)
    1 person likes this post: BraveSirRobin
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Because the representatives would never hide the truth. Because being science focused has never resulted in atrocities. Because voters always make the best choice. Because rich and powerful people will never find a way to manipulate, subvert and pervert democracy.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Because the representatives would never hide the truth. Because being science focused has never resulted in atrocities. Because voters always make the best choice. Because rich and powerful people will never find a way to manipulate, subvert and pervert democracy.
    Ya missed the point Northy :p I wasn't being entirely serious, I just think we need more of a scientific/proof-based claim culture in politics rather than emotive-based claims as we have now.

You deny climate change exists? Prove it.

Migrants cause more terrorism? Prove it.

The NHS is crumbling because of immigrants? Prove it.

We should be angry and scared and let our leaders make all the decisions with no accountability? Prove it.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • And if wishes grew on trees life would be a breeze.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 2 [3]