Pages: 1 [2] 3

The Century Foundation: Putting Democracy Back into Public Education

Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Democracy is an idealised system that seeks to represent the entirety of a population when doing so isn't feasibly possible. As such, you have representative democracy - electing officials to represent your views in government or in opposition to a government.

The problem is that democracy encourages populism. It encourages emotive language rather than factual elucidation of issues. People will always go for the pile of shit that smells like roses over the rose that smells like shit. This is an issue that most Western democracies aren't prepared to confront and aren't in any way ready to start the process of confronting - because to do so would "go against the wishes of the people."

News flash for the world, most people don't have the first idea about what's best for them. Direct rule by the majority is rule by the stupid. Brexit has proven this with the government going on and on about "respecting the democratic vote" when in reality only 37% of Britain voted for Brexit, and many who did now wish to change their mind.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • But what's the alternative in real life?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
  • I briefly touched on this topic a few weeks ago, but The Century Foundation has come out with a report detailing the lack of civics education in American schools, the resulting lack of knowledge in those areas, and how it correlates with a growing acceptance of authoritarianism which likely contributed to the election of Donald Trump despite...or because of...his disregard for democratic values.

The report is rather lengthy and goes into the root causes of the lack of civics/history education, the growing trend toward removing community input from the education system itself, and the results, but some tidbits I found interesting regarding their survey:
    • 31% of Americans can't name all three branches of their government, and 32% couldn't name any of them
    • Only 53% of Americans knew that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision is a final ruling and becomes law
    • 26% of Americans would vote to repeal the Fifth Amendment, which forbids requiring a person to testify against themselves
    • 46% of Americans believed peaceful protests should be banned if it was in support of "offensive values"
    • 50% of Americans believe the government should be able to ban practicing a religion if a majority of voters believe it to be un-American
    • 25% of American millennials believe that it's unimportant for people to choose their own leaders in a democracy.
    • One in six Americans believe it would be fairly or very good for the "army to rule", a rise from one in sixteen in 1995.
    • 49% of Americans expressed that they would accept a leader breaking laws/rules if it "set things right"
    Overall I thought the report was sobering and depressing. I agree with the conclusions of the report, but I don't see things changing in these areas and I don't see much of a chance for the reforms they're advocating being carried out. You can read the full report here.
    Part of this really depends on how the question was asked and how the participants interpreted the question. For instance, they might have recognized that the US is not a democracy, but a republic, so that could explain the one about picking leaders in democracy. Also, judicial, executive, and legislative are technical terms, and most wouldn't remember them if their job has nothing to do with those.
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Co-WA Delegate: June 13, 2016-present
    Hufflepuff student: April 9, 2016-present
    House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Citizen: September 6, 2016-present

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 23rd Underhusen - secretary
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

NationStates nation: March 11, 2016-present

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I remember them and my job has nothing to do with those. Understanding the form and function of your government is a civic duty, especially if you're voting people into those positions of power...let's not condone or excuse ignorance here.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • But what's the alternative in real life?
    Direct democracy at a grass-roots level, complete overhaul of the system to allow for consensus based informed local and regional level decisions that feed into a semi-permanent/semi-elected (the balance has to be right) "single party" science mandate.

The people feel like they're involved in politics, and get to have their thoughts heard on issues that directly affect them. Regional issues come up less frequently but poll more people, allowing for general consensus on policies. If a local/regional/state/national government goes against the majority decision, they are required to explain - in totalum - why.

At a national level, the government is beholden to the wishes of the masses through 5/10 year election cycles, on a similar rotating election cycle that America has (some year X, the rest year Y). There are no parties, as every elected official at national level is involved in government to a degree, allowing it to operate continuously on consistent policy decisions. For the most part, government is made up of 'career' politicians, who make up the majority of the diplomatic corp and the people-government link. The rest are science experts, advising the cabinet/chamber/whatever with some power to block poor legislation but not veto totally.

You need a system that balances the desire for inclusion with political apathy, allowing a national government to represent the wishes of its people whilst retaining the freedom to act in the best interests of the country. This is by no means a perfect system, but it's what I spitballed in a minute answering this :p
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Wuufu
    Archivist Academic

Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • That's one route...or we could do autocratic route. I hear that's all the rage nowadays. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • That's one route...or we could do autocratic route. I hear that's all the rage nowadays. :P
    That's kind of what the system aims to create - an autocratic state with a one party leadership that's made up of almost every politically involved individual in the country. As its support base is drawn from the entire country, it has a vested interest in working for the people as it can and will lose regional seats (which are X number of seats, say 5 per region) if it neglects one particular area for another.

Archivist Academic

Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Well it depends... do we want a government in which the people think they have a say, or do we want a government that helps the people the most? 

The notion that people vote in their own self interest has been proven wrong again and again.  "Tyranny by majority" worriers fail to consider that humans are too stupid to realise which policies/politicians would help them the most. 

In fact, having a political class to begin with is clearly a problem, because once there is a limit to who can engage in politics, we have a finite number of people who can be bribed, corrupted, or assassinated if they do not cooperate.  Politicians, like it or not, are weak.  Though they claim "strong moral convictions" and "character strength" they are just as flawed as any normal human.  The ideal system, of course, would be one single entity ruling the country whose own life wasn't affected by the decisions they make, to ensure that their decisions are in the best interest of the people, and not their own. 

Regrettably, the only entities capable of this efficiency and lack of "buy in" in policy decisions is a computer.  So eventually, I have little doubt that humans will be replaced by computers in terms of governance—but only in the event that the government decides that its purpose is to help the most people possible.  But that's a whole different debate. 

(Also, this was probably rant-y)
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I have little doubt that humans will be replaced by computers in terms of governance—
    The issue with this is that AI will not have the same moral compass as humans, and may think completely differently entirely. After all, if we just gave it the goal to make us as happy as possible, it'd just round us up and constantly inject us with dopamine. When we do decide to take this step, we must make sure that our AI overlords are Friendly.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • I have little doubt that humans will be replaced by computers in terms of governance—
    The issue with this is that AI will not have the same moral compass as humans, and may think completely differently entirely. After all, if we just gave it the goal to make us as happy as possible, it'd just round us up and constantly inject us with dopamine. When we do decide to take this step, we must make sure that our AI overlords are Friendly.
    True, but that's assuming we have the capability to control the artificial superintelligences. We will be totally outclassed, and unable to do much of anything to stop our new "overlords."  Heck, we chant even be sure they'd even want to govern in the first place! (AI's just weird that way) :P
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    True, but that's assuming we have the capability to control the artificial superintelligences. We will be totally outclassed, and unable to do much of anything to stop our new "overlords."  Heck, we chant even be sure they'd even want to govern in the first place! (AI's just weird that way) :P
    That is exactly the problem, which is why these issues must be solved before we develop a superintelligence.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • I remember them and my job has nothing to do with those. Understanding the form and function of your government is a civic duty, especially if you're voting people into those positions of power...let's not condone or excuse ignorance here.
    Your point on how you know the branches but your job doesn't have to do with it isn't all that valid. You have a government here on this forum that, in the laws, states that there's essentially a judicial, executive, and legislative part.  This forum talks about government a lot, so of course you would know the branches.

This is a place for discussions, so I feel it's alright to make a rebuttal.

P.S. how many people were interviewed?
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Oh great, a ruling computer for Russia to hack. :P

Your point on how you know the branches but your job doesn't have to do with it isn't all that valid. You have a government here on this forum that, in the laws, states that there's essentially a judicial, executive, and legislative part.  This forum talks about government a lot, so of course you would know the branches.

This is a place for discussions, so I feel it's alright to make a rebuttal.

P.S. how many people were interviewed?
    But my interests that led to having a forum that discusses government and politics started by being a responsible Citizen...learning the roles of government, voting in elections once I became 18, and following important news and events...actual news, not the junk that gets shared around on Facebook. Those are the responsibilities that are supposed to come with the rights and freedoms of being part of a free society.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. - Thomas Jefferson

The portion that asked about the branches of government came from a survey of 1,416 adults conducted by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The results were released on September 17th, 2014 to coincide with Constitution Day in America.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • What about the amount of people for the other questions?
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I believe all of the reports sources are included in the notes at the end of it...you could look up each source and find that information.
    1 person likes this post: Mathyland

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation