Pages: [1] 2 3

The Century Foundation: Putting Democracy Back into Public Education

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I briefly touched on this topic a few weeks ago, but The Century Foundation has come out with a report detailing the lack of civics education in American schools, the resulting lack of knowledge in those areas, and how it correlates with a growing acceptance of authoritarianism which likely contributed to the election of Donald Trump despite...or because of...his disregard for democratic values.

The report is rather lengthy and goes into the root causes of the lack of civics/history education, the growing trend toward removing community input from the education system itself, and the results, but some tidbits I found interesting regarding their survey:
    • 31% of Americans can't name all three branches of their government, and 32% couldn't name any of them
    • Only 53% of Americans knew that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision is a final ruling and becomes law
    • 26% of Americans would vote to repeal the Fifth Amendment, which forbids requiring a person to testify against themselves
    • 46% of Americans believed peaceful protests should be banned if it was in support of "offensive values"
    • 50% of Americans believe the government should be able to ban practicing a religion if a majority of voters believe it to be un-American
    • 25% of American millennials believe that it's unimportant for people to choose their own leaders in a democracy.
    • One in six Americans believe it would be fairly or very good for the "army to rule", a rise from one in sixteen in 1995.
    • 49% of Americans expressed that they would accept a leader breaking laws/rules if it "set things right"
    Overall I thought the report was sobering and depressing. I agree with the conclusions of the report, but I don't see things changing in these areas and I don't see much of a chance for the reforms they're advocating being carried out. You can read the full report here.
    3 people like this post: taulover, Gerrick, Melehan

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • This doesn't surprise me one bit. Ignorance and stupidity have plagued Americans for far too long, especially with regards to government.
    3 people like this post: taulover, Laurentus, Imaginative Kane
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I happened to run into this article today...it's some of the same information, but the message is that this may not just be an American phenomena...apparently respect for democracy is declining in Western countries around the world. =/

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
  • I briefly touched on this topic a few weeks ago, but The Century Foundation has come out with a report detailing the lack of civics education in American schools, the resulting lack of knowledge in those areas, and how it correlates with a growing acceptance of authoritarianism which likely contributed to the election of Donald Trump despite...or because of...his disregard for democratic values.

The report is rather lengthy and goes into the root causes of the lack of civics/history education, the growing trend toward removing community input from the education system itself, and the results, but some tidbits I found interesting regarding their survey:
    • 31% of Americans can't name all three branches of their government, and 32% couldn't name any of them
    • Only 53% of Americans knew that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision is a final ruling and becomes law
    • 26% of Americans would vote to repeal the Fifth Amendment, which forbids requiring a person to testify against themselves
    • 46% of Americans believed peaceful protests should be banned if it was in support of "offensive values"
    • 50% of Americans believe the government should be able to ban practicing a religion if a majority of voters believe it to be un-American
    • 25% of American millennials believe that it's unimportant for people to choose their own leaders in a democracy.
    • One in six Americans believe it would be fairly or very good for the "army to rule", a rise from one in sixteen in 1995.
    • 49% of Americans expressed that they would accept a leader breaking laws/rules if it "set things right"
    Overall I thought the report was sobering and depressing. I agree with the conclusions of the report, but I don't see things changing in these areas and I don't see much of a chance for the reforms they're advocating being carried out. You can read the full report here.

Well, they do teach us about (almost) all of these things in school, it's just that many adults haven't touched on it in decades, so they forget.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:45:04 PM by Mathyland »
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Co-WA Delegate: June 13, 2016-present
    Hufflepuff student: April 9, 2016-present
    House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Citizen: September 6, 2016-present

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 23rd Underhusen - secretary
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

NationStates nation: March 11, 2016-present

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • They barely scratch the surface on history and civics, much less emphasis it in the way they need to in order to instill respect for democracy and the rights of all people. As someone who enjoys reading about history, I can tell you that it's a lot more multifaceted and complicated than the boring, streamlined version given in school textbooks. Of course, I understand that a class couldn't possibly cover every detail of American history, but I think if at some point students were required to read actual detailed biographies of some the Founding Fathers', for example, they would come away with a better understanding of the background of the period and why things happened the way it happened.

And the details just make it so much more interesting, too...history is full of drama, suspense, romance, tragedy, and anything else you'd want from television or the movies...it's just that after having to go through a school history course most people end up thinking it's a bunch of boring dates and events.

Even if it was being taught or forgotten, forgetting isn't an excuse...intellectually active Citizens wouldn't forget basic information about the processes they're taking part in and the government they're voting people into. It's information we require people from elsewhere wishing to become Citizens to know when they take their Citizenship test, why don't we require it to be known by native-born Citizens?
    3 people like this post: Mathyland, Melehan, Elbbsas

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • I imagine because of our right to remain a moron, lol. I think it's just that most people here in America are accustomed to not having to worry about that kinda thing. Which in retrospect makes the citizenry more susceptible to government propaganda/control. I have a feeling sometime in the next century we're going to get a big and disturbing wake-up call about this disturbing trend too.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle

Emoticonius
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • They barely scratch the surface on history and civics, much less emphasis it in the way they need to in order to instill respect for democracy and the rights of all people. As someone who enjoys reading about history, I can tell you that it's a lot more multifaceted and complicated than the boring, streamlined version given in school textbooks. Of course, I understand that a class couldn't possibly cover every detail of American history, but I think if at some point students were required to read actual detailed biographies of some the Founding Fathers', for example, they would come away with a better understanding of the background of the period and why things happened the way it happened.

And the details just make it so much more interesting, too...history is full of drama, suspense, romance, tragedy, and anything else you'd want from television or the movies...it's just that after having to go through a school history course most people end up thinking it's a bunch of boring dates and events.

Even if it was being taught or forgotten, forgetting isn't an excuse...intellectually active Citizens wouldn't forget basic information about the processes they're taking part in and the government they're voting people into. It's information we require people from elsewhere wishing to become Citizens to know when they take their Citizenship test, why don't we require it to be known by native-born Citizens?
    While I agree that the rote memorization of historical events is a terrible idea, I don't think focusing on the people is the best idea either. That treads a bit too close to the Great Man theory for my tastes. IMO the more interesting part of history is the societal context of events, because that's what really the driver behind historical events.

And the problem with creating historical narratives (with the drama, suspense, etc.) is that in many cases we simply don't know enough to create compelling stories without also falling to historical inaccuracy. Narratives are great to create interest in history, or for using history in a philosophy or rhetoric, but in the actual study of history those stories shouldn't be emphasized.

I think the AP history courses do a good job of this (does anyone know how they compare to college courses?). If you look at the curriculum for it, or the exam itself, the questions basically don't care about memorized events/people/dates/etc, but rather the greater societal forces and movements at work and how they interconnect with those people/events/etc.

As for instilling greater respect for democracy and civics, I doubt a more nuanced view of history would do so. Looking at history from a less simplified perspective, we're reminded time and time again that, for instance, the Founders intended to create an aristocratic government, one that was and continues to be dominated by a wealthy elite (fun fact: even white males did not have the right to vote in many states). And when democracy actually became viewed as a good thing, our nation began doing everything from committing genocide to enslaving blacks to propping up dictators, all in the name of an intangible, unachieved "democracy." When people are confronted with this harsh reality, it's very possible that they lose respect for the government that they were once taught is ideal and perfect, rather than gain respect for it.
    3 people like this post: HannahB, Melehan, Elbbsas
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • I think the AP history courses do a good job of this (does anyone know how they compare to college courses?). If you look at the curriculum for it, or the exam itself, the questions basically don't care about memorized events/people/dates/etc, but rather the greater societal forces and movements at work and how they interconnect with those people/events/etc.
    Interestingly enough, my AP US History course in high school was almost solely memorization. Seeing how I'm good at that, I aced it, which was a nice boost to my GPA with the way AP classes were weighted.

As someone who minored in history and classical studies in college, yeah, college history courses (at least most of the ones I took) are very similar to your description. Professors teach you what they want with an overarching theme/theory, then in exams and papers you're supposed to pull info from what you were taught/assigned to read and piece together something that ties in with the theme. You'll often be required to find your own primary resources to support your work as well. Much more difficult and time consuming than memorization but also more interesting and rewarding in the end. (Note that some professors may understandably fall back on multiple choice exams if the class is very large, though they often get graduate student assistants to help as well.)
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I think the AP history courses do a good job of this (does anyone know how they compare to college courses?). If you look at the curriculum for it, or the exam itself, the questions basically don't care about memorized events/people/dates/etc, but rather the greater societal forces and movements at work and how they interconnect with those people/events/etc.
    Interestingly enough, my AP US History course in high school was almost solely memorization. Seeing how I'm good at that, I aced it, which was a nice boost to my GPA with the way AP classes were weighted.
    I do believe they (in a controversial decision) redesigned the exam and course outline several years back.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/08/05/429361628/the-new-new-framework-for-ap-u-s-history
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Prefacing this that I am not an American, hold different values to most Americans and do not study philosophy, sociology, history, politics or education. So this is merely my outside opinion... Also of note this is only tangentially related to the topic currently being discussed so feel free to ignore me. Anyway let's get to this:

As for instilling greater respect for democracy and civics, I doubt a more nuanced view of history would do so. Looking at history from a less simplified perspective, we're reminded time and time again that, for instance, the Founders intended to create an aristocratic government, one that was and continues to be dominated by a wealthy elite (fun fact: even white males did not have the right to vote in many states). And when democracy actually became viewed as a good thing, our nation began doing everything from committing genocide to enslaving blacks to propping up dictators, all in the name of an intangible, unachieved "democracy." When people are confronted with this harsh reality, it's very possible that they lose respect for the government that they were once taught is ideal and perfect, rather than gain respect for it.

I believe this is correct, but that the problem isn't with looking at modern history (what an odd phrase) but the idealisation of the early history and historical figures of your country...

We still celebrate democracy here (literally on Guy Fawkes night) and uphold it's values; without idealising it or its instigators. British democracy has its roots in the magna carta from 1215, but it's common knowledge that the events surrounding it's creation were dubious at best. In the real world there are no great people, not really, we are all flawed human beings and upholding people as some kind of pinnacle can lead to many problems... Especially if those people are a bunch of dead oligarchs from over 200 years ago.

The world continues to accomplish many things and has over the millennia, viewing any one part of history as some kind of golden age leads you to view everything else with distortion...

People learning about the past, about history and society, I don't believe they should be told what is right and what is wrong; debate can be had about whether or not past events are right by modern standards, but the idea of enforcing those modern standards onto the learning process irks me greatly. We currently view democracy and democratic systems as the best, most right system, but how can we ever improve and change them if we hold onto the past so strongly, and teach the thinkers of the future that it's the only correct way.

Focusing in on Tau's last scentence
    "When people are confronted with this harsh reality, it's very possible that they lose respect for the government that they were once taught is ideal and perfect, rather than gain respect for it."
    The problem is that they were taught it was ideal and perfect, nothing is perfect, perfection is as much a fairy tale as Santa Claus, it's an unachievable, impossible goal. And distorting anyone's view of anything to be perfect is inherently flawed.
    3 people like this post: Melehan, Elbbsas, taulover
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Yeah, what I meant is that better history and civics education, while good, doesn't really instill greater respect for democracy and government institutions. Nor should it: people should be able to make their own decisions about their political views without the government telling them what to believe, and if they believe that another government system is superior, I see no problem with that. What matters is that they're making an informed decision, and that's where education comes in.
    3 people like this post: Elbbsas, Imaginative Kane, HannahB
    Résumé
    Wintreath:

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Yeah, what I meant is that better history and civics education, while good, doesn't really instill greater respect for democracy and government institutions. Nor should it: people should be able to make their own decisions about their political views without the government telling them what to believe, and if they believe that another government system is superior, I see no problem with that. What matters is that they're making an informed decision, and that's where education comes in.

Totally agree!
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction

[/list]
      4 people like this post: Mathyland, Chanku, Imaginative Kane, Emoticonius
      « Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:42:04 AM by Pengu »
      My Wintreath Resumé
      Michi
      • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
      • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
      • Pronouns
        Any except it/its
        Orientation
        Michisexual <3
        Familial House
        Valeria
        Wintreath Nation
      Arenado
    • Citizen
    • Some Random Guy
    • Let's be fair here, people get angry with the system, blame it for all their problems, tear it down, replace it with something else, usually something worse, and when that invariably falls apart, usually from war or self collapse, promise to never be so foolish again, repeat. It's a cycle as old as humanity.
      1 person likes this post: taulover
      I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
      Arenado
      • Some Random Guy
      • Comfortably Numb
      • Citizen
      • Pronouns
        Any/All or They/Them
        Familial House
        Eske
        Wintreath Nation
      Emoticonius
    • Former Citizen
    • That may be but a considerable portion of Americans actually support having their rights & freedoms taken away. That's pretty disappointing...

Emoticonius
      • Former Citizen
      • Pronouns
        He/Him/His
        Familial House
        Kaizer
        Representing
        Wintreath Nation