Pages: [1]

Citizenship Debate

HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Hey fellow Skrifa,
    So this was an important issue for me last term and it remains so. I would like to make citizenship accessible to those who don't necessarily have a nation in our NS region, though how we go about that is variable.

Currently there are 3 possible proposals:

Mine- in which the Storting can select someone to be a citizen without a nation at will. Kind of like Paragon status.
    Expansion of Citizenship Amendment Act
    Expansion of Citizenship Amendment Act
    Title
    1)
    This act shall be titled as the Expansion of Citizenship Amendment Act.

Amendments and Additions
    2)
    The Citizenship and Demonym Act shall be amended to add section 6, which shall read as follows:
    6. Expansion of Citizenship
      6.1 The requirement of a citizenship nation, noted in section 2.2 of this act, can be waived without granting Paragon status as stated in section 3.
      6.2 This exemption may be issued or repealed by either the Monarch or Storting.
      6.3 In the case of the Storting, an act titled "expansion of the <relevant citizen>'s citizenship" should be drafted which would outline any specific requirements that the Storting wished to place in this case.

Chanku's proposal- Places restrictions on those that don't have a nation (like preventing them from standing in elections) and adding a post requirement
    The Restricted Citizenship Act
    Title
    1. The Restricted Citizenship Act

Amendments
    2. Section 2 shall be amended to add subsection 7, which shall read as follows:
    2.7 Should a citizen have had their citizenship nation CtE, and they have been online within one week of the last check and make at least an average of 10 posts a day then the Monarch, or the Storting, may grant the citizen a restricted citizenship. Upon gaining this citizenship type the person shall get full citizenship upon returning their citizenship nation and informing the person tasked with maintaining citizenship. After gaining this citizenship type they must meet an average 10 posts a day and be online at least twice a week.

3. Section 2.7, shall be amended to add subsection 1 which shall read:
    2.7.1 A citizen with restricted citizenship may loose it upon the act of the Monarch, an act of the Storting, or upon failing to meet the requirements. Upon loosing it all citizenship shall be lost. Further revocation of restricted citizenship shall not be counted as revocation of citizenship within the Storting.

4. Section 2.7 shall be amended to add subsection 2 which shall read:
    2.7.2 People with restricted citizenship are not be eligible to run or stand in elections or to assume office. For the purposes of elected offices held prior to gaining this status, they shall be considered non-citizens. People with restricted citizenship may, however, vote.

And Wintermoot's proposal- Amends the requirements of citizenship across the board to be eligible if they post on a regular basis.
    Community Citizenship Amendment Act
    The Community Citizenship Amendment Act

Title
    1) This Act shall be cited as the Community Citizenship Amendment Act.

Amendments
    2) Section 2.2 of the Citizenship and Demonyn Act shall be amended as follows:

Previous Text:
    2.2 Citizens are required to keep the nation which they gained membership with within the region unless they inform the person (or government agency) empowered to accept or reject citizenship applications by section 2.4 of this act.

Amended Text:
    2.2 Citizenship may be maintained by one of the following methods:
    2.2.1 Keeping the NationStates nation which they gained membership with within the Wintreath region
    2.2.2 Making at least five (5) posts on the Wintreath forums during the previous calendar month, beginning with their second calendar month as a Citizen

I would like if possible to have made a decision on one of these (or another proposal) in the next week.

@Eldarion
    @taulover
    @Ashton Mercer (I know you've resigned to focus on RL but sometimes people might want to pitch in their 2 cents anyway, just thought I'd leave it open to you if you want)
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • With this having been here for nearly a week and with the comments received in the citizens area, I will be posting the "Community Citizenship Amendment Act", if there are any objections please let me know :)
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]