Pages: [1] 2

Any tabletop gamers out there?

Rayden_Greywolf
  • Former Citizen
  • Just curious to see if there's anyone else here who enjoys tabletop gaming, whether its RPGs or board games. If so, what's your favorite game? :)

As for me, I dabble in the FATE rpg system, but mostly I enjoy playing really thematic, immersive games, like Betrayal at House on the Hill or A Touch of Evil.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Rayden_Greywolf
    • Unity through Liberty
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I used to love board games as a kid, but then I took up video games...much easier to find other people to play with online. :P

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I'll assume Magic the Gathering counts...I also do enjoy some other types of Table top games as well at times...
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • Been playing MTG since the long passed days of high school. I play DnD 5e with some friends in town on a regular basis. I think the hardest thing about tabletop gaming is finding people who will commit to it. How about you?
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I (used to) play WHFB as a Stirland Empire army, but then they made it Age of Sigmar and, seriously, fuck Sigmarines, I'm not going to dignify that nonsense with any of my money.
    I (occasionally) play 40K as a Biel-Tan or Iyanden Craftworld Eldar army, but less and less as I get increasingly out of date (my army was built in 4E, so I'm pretty horrifically out of date as far as the meta goes at this point).
    I'm starting to look into Warmachine, since it looks reasonably interesting, but will probably hold off on actually picking up minis for the time being.
    I play FATE, D&D 3.5 (tried 5e; it's too different for me to like it immediately, but maybe I'll try again), Pathfinder, Dark Heresy (1st edition), Rogue Trader, and have high hopes of maybe starting a Black Crusade game, but I'm a bit doubtful on that front.
    I've had experience with Monsters and Other Childish Things, have dipped into Shadowrun (3e, not the newer stuff, since my introduction came from Returns), and some of the nWoD stuff like Geist, Changeling, and Promethean.

Also I play a lot of board games. Legacy-style games are fun, hype for Seafall if I can find anyone to play with, but games like Arkham Horror, Dead of Winter, or Betrayal are always a lot of fun.
    Not quite so big on euro-style games, but I've played my fair share of those.
    Hope to god I can one day pick up a copy of Descent first edition for cheap, since the campaign on that was awesome. Imperial Assault scratches a lot of the same itches, but it's not quite the same.

Not a TC or CCG kind of person though.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • Is getting into Warhammer as expensive as they say?
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • For board game's, aside from what everyone assumes when you say those, I've also played a few other ones just as Risk...well Halo Risk...aaand....that's about it actually.....

When it comes to RPG's, I've mainly played Pathfinder, although I have played DnD 2e before. With Pathfinder I've acted as the DM (or GM if you prefer) for most of the time I've played...and just finished DM'ing a campaign of sorts comprised of a few friends...two of which were from here (It was interesting...and it kinda caused me to want to sit down as a player for a bit instead of a DM...). Aside from that I don't have much experience in this area for table top games.

When it comes to Card Games I've mainly played MtG, but I've also played some Pokemon and a game or two of Yu-Gi-Oh! (It's played by some people at my school...the school also has a Table-Top gaming club now.).

In any case NyghtOwl, I did tag you in the Pathfinder group interest thread, as I figured you might wanna take a look at that.

Edit: Also I'm just actually starting to dive into the world of table-top gaming, so I don't have much experience with it. Although hey we all had to start somewhere.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Is getting into Warhammer as expensive as they say?

More.
    It was a better time when I got into it. Back then at least they pretended to give a shit about what their players wanted. And Your Dudes was a pillar of how the game operated.
    Now they've developed a churn cycle for the meta, where things that were great last edition are shit now, so that you have to buy new models if you want to stay competitive, and have been doing so for the last ~3 editions or so. And good fucking luck if you'd want to play SoB or Tyranids. They will never be competitive, because for the former, I'm pretty sure GW must be psychopathically misogynistic, considering just the sheer quantity of ridiculous bullshit that has happened to them that far outweighs anything that's happened to other factions, and for the former, they just keep getting crap for crunch and crap for fluff, which makes me hopeful that they'll just eliminate the Tyranids because I find their concept just utterly dull and staid, with the lone exception of the Genestealers.

And even if you've just given up on the game and are just into the fluff, they've also decided you can go to hell. We've been stuck at literally the last day in 999.M41 for fucking ever. And we're never going to move any further, because grimderp grimderp in the grimderp grimderp. Essentially, humanity can't ever really win (just occasionally, and even then it'll always be a pyrrhic victory because of the horrific odds, etc. etc. boo hoo us) because of the massive number of threats surrounding it, and also because if they ever actually do they'll, for all practical purposes, have to Squat (get rid of) an army , and the last time they Squatted an army the people who played it (Squat players) lost their shit, and a lot of other people (people who were worried their army would be Squatted) freaked out too.
    EXCEPT THEY DON'T, because we've got army lists for the entire span of M41, not just, for example, 900-999.M41, and now they're pushing books out for battles in M32 (not to mention the at this point horrifically overdone Horus Heresy, which was a cool concept when they were first pushing it 8 years ago, but is brushing up on, what, 60 books now?), so its clear that you could play your army 'whenever'. So they could totally progress the story, and either make the Eldar's extinction meaningful (which I wouldn't even complain about, despite being an Eldar player, because it would finally make sense, because seriously, the Eldar supposedly give up 50 human worlds for a single Eldar life or whatever, but then they throw 5 million dudes into a stupid meat grinder on a pointless world? GW has literally said 'there are as many Eldar as the plot demands', which is ridiculous), or permanently deal with the Tyranid problem (unlikely, but they could theoretically break the spine of it as long as NEW hive fleets didn't keep fucking coming), or, hell, just get rid of the weeablueberry space communists (sorry Taulover but you know they should be doomed, it's only dumb luck they didn't get Exterminatus-ed when they were first discovered, and even if we ignore that if the Imperium didn't have the Tyranids to worry about, the Damocles Crusade would have eventually picked up steam and flattened them). Or destroy the Dark Eldar, they're fucking due. Everything else is simply too entrenched a problem (despite the fairly clear fact that there shouldn't be NEARLY as many Chaos Marines as there are, but then there are probably exactly as many Chaos Marines as the plot demands, logistics be damned, and probably far less Space Marines than there should be because the angst of the plot demands, logistics be damned, and we always have to play up how great Space Marines are, despite the fact that IG Armor armies will roll over a Chaos Marine army and laugh in their snarling metal faces), since Chaos can run and hide like the cowards they are in the Eye of Terror or Maelstrom, the Orks breed like bacteria, and the Necrons are god-machines from 4 billion years in the past or whatever.

As for WHFB, I won't even discuss the intellectual abortion that is Age of Sigmar and its nonsense Sigmarines. It's worth exactly nobody's time, because they've taken the fundamental rules and thrown them out of the window, to say nothing of the unmitigated slaughter they made of the established canon (at exactly the moment at which it has seen a resurgence of interest thanks to Total Warhammer) all for the purpose of having trademark-ready-and-capable armies.
    Seriously. Why else would they need to rebrand 'elves' as 'Aelves' (ugh) or Dwarves as 'Duardin' (why), especially considering they already had names for these in previous canon (Asur and Dawi respectively, which are unique enough to trademark but hey fuck us, right).

So at this point buying minis for Age of Sigmar or 40K doesn't just cost you money.
    It costs you your self-respect.
    /endrant
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:05:22 PM by Doc »
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • Well, that's certainly more than convincing. And more than a little disapointing. My boyfriend is very much into strategy and war games so I thought Warhammer might be a fun thing for us to take up together. But if that's the state of the game I think I'll find something else. I was looking specifically at the tyrannids (because they thematically resemble the zerg) or the necrons (because they looked interesting). You've swayed me though. I'll be looking around d for something else. If you have any recommendations I'm certainly open.
    On the brighter side I just Kickstart ed an interesting looking board game called The Shared Dream by Of Dreams and Magic. Looks really neat.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I'm taking a massive dump on the company because I love their IP, but dear god do I hate what they've been doing to it.
    If you're interested in 40K (I will never recommend AoS), I suggest maybe finding a copy of the core rules and a Codex for one or two armies, and then just trying out a battle against each other with tokens. Friend of mine does that, and he seems to enjoy it just fine, although obviously there isn't quite the atmosphere with little cutout 'circles' (we are very bad at cutting out circles) that actual minis have.
    Of course, that's only if you'd be genuinely interested in the mechanics. I have another friend who doesn't care about the mechanics, he just likes how the minis look, likes painting them, and especially loves making up their Chapter history (he plays SM, obviously). This is aided by the fact that he's also inordinately wealthy, so the minis don't hurt the wallet too much, but damn if he's not a good painter.
    If you think the Your Dudes element, down to painting and making up their history, is more important than the actual mechanics, then there's worse games than 40K. Don't let a cynicism and negativity built up by long, long hours of watching my faction get steamrolled by the company's pet factions dissuade you from doing something that might be fun, especially since I have no doubt that I'll see an omnibus of Commissar Cain or something in the store 2 months from now and forget all my current annoyance at the company.

EDIT: Noting that, in another thread, you 'spent $31 and cried', though, minis are very likely outside your price range. A starter set will run something like $250, maybe more thanks to inflation, and all the Really Fucking Cool models are like at least $50 for a starter squad. If you'd just want a unit of Warriors or Lychguard or something, even that's probably $30-$40, if they're priced similarly to most MEQ-types.
    (MEQ is 'marine equivalent', meaning 'statistically close enough to a single Space Marine Tactical Marine to be treated the same')
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:23:04 AM by Doc »
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • As someone who is of little financial means, I think I'll pass for now. After all, I'd be buying for both myself and my better half and I don't think I can swing it right now. I may see if I can find the core books and maybe a codex like you said.

P.S. I didn't actually cry but holy crap. One tube of foundation for 31 dollars. Like, hells that shit is ridiculous.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • If you're only interested in fluff, there's tons of WH40K novels out there published by Black Library.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • As someone who is of little financial means, I think I'll pass for now. After all, I'd be buying for both myself and my better half and I don't think I can swing it right now. I may see if I can find the core books and maybe a codex like you said.

P.S. I didn't actually cry but holy crap. One tube of foundation for 31 dollars. Like, hells that shit is ridiculous.

I figured that you didn't actually cry, but I thought that putting it into context would make you get the reference. And it did!
    Also, I totally disavow any knowledge of any places in which you could acquire these through illegal means, but there may be options in that regard, although obviously I urge you not to do this and pay the $50 or whatever for a PDF of the core rules and $30 or whatever for a PDF of the army books, because clearly legal commerce is the backbone of our free market society.

If you're only interested in fluff, there's tons of WH40K novels out there published by Black Library.

Good luck if you want anything from the perspective of anyone but the Imperium, or very occasionally a Chaos Marine or Eldar. Tyranids and Necrons are only ever enemies, and even the blueberries don't seem to have any Black Library love that I remember. Maybe there was like...one? fire warrior book?
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • Anyone here a fan of White Wolf and their World of Darkness? I have a few of the books from that and would love to find some peeps to play with.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • New or Old World of Darkness?
    For NWoD, I've played Geist and Changeling, and have at least read through the core rulebook for Promethean (because it's conceptually really interesting), and found both to be fairly fun. The tone for them is actually pretty different; Geist seems like the only World of Darkness game that allows itself to be light-hearted - all the rest are a lot darker. Changeling is...occasionally hopeful. Promethean is just bleak as hell.

No surprise I liked Promethean then, because I also had the chance to run 4 sessions of Wraith from the Old WoD, and I quite enjoyed them, although my players got increasingly vicious with the backstabbing the game frankly encourages in playing each other's Shadow, so I stopped it since I got worried people might start hating each other for it. It was a nice break from D&D though.
    I've also got a soft spot for Vampire, since I found out about the World of Darkness because of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, even though I've never actually played it.

The other lines don't especially interest me, with the possible exception of Mage and Orpheus (and that only because it's a continuation of Wraith, and is less backstabby). OWoD Changeling seems dull to me, Requiem is just too different from Masquerade and thus confuses me, and Werewolf never grabbed my attention.

I will note that character creation is a much longer and more involved process than in, say, D&D, because it's also more roleplaying and less game than D&D anyway. If you're not the type to read through the whole damn corebook to play it (and then also the splatbook for each game for nWoD, since it's designed to be more modular), then you're gonna have a bad time. It also sort of encourages communal chargen, since there is a degree to which you guys are all supposed to have been working together for at least a while, which tends to result in a 'session 0' wherein literally everything is character creation.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2