Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Citizens Discussion: Speaker Emergency Powers Act

HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • If editing is allowed after a proposal has gone to vote, then it opens up some dangerous possibilities.  In this case, you were only correcting grammar and spelling, but the only reason you needed to correct "waved" to "waived" was because it changed the entire meaning of that section.

Say a proposal goes to vote that has a few points the Speaker doesn't really support.  Under the current lack of rules, the Speaker could wait until half the Underhusen has said "Aye", then tweak those sections however they wanted, and it would be legal.  As unlikely and impractical as that situation is, we shouldn't even allow it to be a possibility.

I totally understand that, that's why I took it down and am going to try to get it remotioned for vote. It was silly of me to try that in the first place :-\

I was frustrated at the lack of procedure, but I don't see why it has to be done in the specific way Chanku has said, with a new motion to expedite and treating it as a whole new proposal...

Why can't we just go back to the discussion and remotion to vote :P
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Colberius X
  • Citizen
  • Servant of Order
  • Considering it to be a new proposal encourages Skrifa to carefully read the revised bill, ensuring that no unmentioned edits slip by, or even other unnoticed errors that warrant correction. 

Also, the hassle of further procedure should motivate the Underhusen to catch these sorts of things before they go to a vote.  :P
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus

First Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria - Founded 5.06.2015
    Former Peer of the Overhusen - Served 4.17.2015 until 6.08.2016
    Recipient of the Wintreath Commendation - Awarded 11.02.2017

Lord Inquisitor
    Ambassador of New Hyperion
    Colberius X
    • Servant of Order
    • I serve the balance, and through it the Force shall guide me.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • While I can understand the intention, I don't see why it is something that must be done just now... I see no reason why I would have to adhere to that right now in this instance... And as I would prefer to do this sooner rather than later with the new UH coming in soon, why can't I bypass that, and just move straight to another motion to vote (if my fellows will agree)?
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • While I can understand the intention, I don't see why it is something that must be done just now... I see no reason why I would have to adhere to that right now in this instance... And as I would prefer to do this sooner rather than later with the new UH coming in soon, why can't I bypass that, and just move straight to another motion to vote (if my fellows will agree)?

Because of two reasons:
    1) There is a lack of authority
    2) Because upon a proposal failing or passing a vote within the UH that proposal's matter is considered finished within the UH unless it is re-introduced.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • I simply see no reason to grant any exceptions to the established precedent. I sympathise that it's annoying, but annoyance is the lesser evil here.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • How can something be an exception if there is no rule :-\

Why does terminating a vote, have to mean the proposal fails? Why does a proposal failing have to mean it gets completly reset? And I dont mean why in terms of the big picture, I get that :/ but I don't see why it is an unshakable absolute that can't be defied, when there isn't actually anything to defy... Except the "way it's normally done"... That just seems so pointless and silly :/

To analogise how this feels right now: if this had passed, with the mistakes and before proceeding any further someone was saying that "nope, this law can't go any further because it has spelling/grammar errors" and while that makes perfect sense, while it's common to remove them, there isn't actually anything prohibiting grammar errors... So why not carry it on?

Here, it still requires approval, still requires a vote, I am just trying to avoid beurocracy that isn't even mandated, we can all see the act, read it, comment on it and if the other Skrifa want they can table it and prevent it from passing... I can't defy non-exsistent procedure? So why follow along like this?

Bah.

If we are just going to go off the way things are normally done why even have a procedure >.>
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • When there's a lack of codified procedure, all we have is precedent...
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • Honestly this entire conversation is quite ridiculous to me. While yes, HannahB did break precedent here, there was a rather simple solution to this entire situation. We all know that all she fixed was grammatical errors, so as far as I'm concerned we should have just let it slide, and then fixed this hole in the rules in the next session of the Underhusen. Then the bill wouldn't have had to be terminated giving more work for the next session of the Underhusen and the problem would have been fixed. Either way this does show that this loop hole needs to be fixed for the next session and I'm sure somebody will write a bill to rectify this...
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Honestly this entire conversation is quite ridiculous to me. While yes, HannahB did break precedent here, there was a rather simple solution to this entire situation. We all know that all she fixed was grammatical errors, so as far as I'm concerned we should have just let it slide, and then fixed this hole in the rules in the next session of the Underhusen. Then the bill wouldn't have had to be terminated giving more work for the next session of the Underhusen and the problem would have been fixed. Either way this does show that this loop hole needs to be fixed for the next session and I'm sure somebody will write a bill to rectify this...
    Technically it didn't require termination (and indeed can not be terminate) all that must be done is that the bill be reverted to it's original text. Further having let it slide could have lead to dangerous precedent that I'm sure no one here wants to set.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
    Technically it didn't require termination (and indeed can not be terminate) all that must be done is that the bill be reverted to it's original text. Further having let it slide could have lead to dangerous precedent that I'm sure no one here wants to set.
    Thats why I said we simply pass a bill in the next session of the Underhusen to either end the ability to do this, or institutionalize it somehow so that these small errors can be fixed without having to go through this entire process over again. It feels unnecessary. We can all see the errors made need to be fixed, I'm sure we can all trust HannahB not to abuse this power until the issue is fixed, so why is this a problem?
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Other Regions
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
    Thats why I said we simply pass a bill in the next session of the Underhusen to either end the ability to do this, or institutionalize it somehow so that these small errors can be fixed without having to go through this entire process over again. It feels unnecessary. We can all see the errors made need to be fixed, I'm sure we can all trust HannahB not to abuse this power until the issue is fixed, so why is this a problem?
    It's not just this session, but that power would persist onto the next session as well, until it is fixed. If it's not fixed it would perpetuate until it was fixed and such a precedent set would allow a speaker to legally modify any section of any law at vote, thus blocking reform efforts...
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
    It's not just this session, but that power would persist onto the next session as well, until it is fixed. If it's not fixed it would perpetuate until it was fixed and such a precedent set would allow a speaker to legally modify any section of any law at vote, thus blocking reform efforts...

No... It would still be voted on and motioned... All we are achieving here right now is consistency in the status quo and application of precedent... and while I like consistently and this precedent is an important one to keep; I am not going to disingenuously claim that this is about editing bills at vote, that was an error, and I pulled it as soon as I came back and realized.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:29:49 PM by HannahB »
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
    Its not hard to elect a speaker who would fix it. I'm sure nobody who will be elected will block such an effort. If you are truly so concerned about this, then the simplest course of action you can take is getting yourself elected to the Underhusen, getting yourself elected as Speaker and then writing the bill to fix this. Though I'm sure that's not necessary, I can think of nobody who is a candidate who would block such an effort and so your concern seems rather unfounded.
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Other Regions
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
    Its not hard to elect a speaker who would fix it. I'm sure nobody who will be elected will block such an effort. If you are truly so concerned about this, then the simplest course of action you can take is getting yourself elected to the Underhusen, getting yourself elected as Speaker and then writing the bill to fix this. Though I'm sure that's not necessary, I can think of nobody who is a candidate who would block such an effort and so your concern seems rather unfounded.
    Just because one does not come to mind, does not mean someone would not use that. There is a reason the Speaker's power was so greatly limited long ago, because a Speaker did something that most people never thought would.

Further let's say the power wasn't fixed, but was used by speakers up until a point where it was challenged in a court and it ended up being ruled illegal. Then there would be the potential case of any and all laws that were modified during vote to be illegitimate. If it establishes criminal acts and someone is convicted of something or under an act edited then you have the mess of that editing. If an amendment to a law or FL is edited then that could also be invalid as well. Any laws that were edited and the amended (but the amendment not edited in that manner) would potentially invalidate a session's (or multiple sessions') work on a law.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • This all could, and should have been avoided by really paying attention to the content of the bill. Of course, we are human and we let things slip. That is why it's only proper to go over everything properly again when we realise such a mistake was made. After all, if something like this was missed, what else could have been missed?
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4