Pages: [1]

DARPA Creates Self-Guided Bullet

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Article here: http://futurism.com/wanteds-curved-bullet-now-a-reality/

Personally I think this is a little scary...sooner or later this technology is going to expand beyond military use, and I'm sure it'll be a wonderful addition to the arsenal of spies, assassins, and eventually everyday criminals. I'm not sure in this day and age anything that makes killing easier or more convenient is a good thing...

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • I'd hopefully assume that these weapons are cost-prohibitive for most criminal organisations.  But perhaps they aren't. 

Small, Unrelated Rant
    WHY ARE YOU FUNDING THIS DARPA YOU COULD BE FUNDING FREAKING PHASER BEAMS HAVEN'T YOU SEEN STAR TREK DARPA!!??

Now that's out of the way, I don't really see much utility in a self-guided bullet, because it wouldn't have very much utility for the United States military, but if it fell into the hands of a foreign military with less training, the results would be disastrous.  The United States spends half a trillion dollars a year on defence and defence research—I don't know why they'd create a weapon that effectively eliminates the need for dedicated snipers in all armies globally. 
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • rant related to BraveSirRobin's rant
    I'm more pissed off about the fact that, after 60 years of ICBMs, we STILL don't have working ballistic missile defense yet (AEGIS can't take on long-range MIRVs which most modern missiles are) but instead we've been given iBullets. DARPA either has fucked up funding, fucked up priorities, or both.
    I think you answered your own question there. If a military force can use their technology to give your Average Joe infantryman the accuracy of a sniper, who in their right minds would turn that down? Yeah, maybe a shipment of them could fall into the wrong hands, but I'm assuming these are meant for special forces use against terrorists, so it wouldn't be like Iran gaining stealth fighters.
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:37:46 PM by Ashton Mercer »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I imagine that the American military will do what it can to keep these (and their advantage) secured, but inevitably they will be developed by others...either by reverse engineering stolen bullets or by reinventing them without help. The genie will be out of the bottle, and as the costs of making these fall they'll come into the hands of criminal organizations...terrorist groups, drug cartels, gangs, etc. At the very least, they'll covet this technology to take out high-value targets with fighters that require minimal training.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Article here: http://futurism.com/wanteds-curved-bullet-now-a-reality/

Personally I think this is a little scary...sooner or later this technology is going to expand beyond military use, and I'm sure it'll be a wonderful addition to the arsenal of spies, assassins, and eventually everyday criminals. I'm not sure in this day and age anything that makes killing easier or more convenient is a good thing...

I read about the research on this awhile ago, the way the bullet tracks is with visual information, going towards a marked target; it uses spin to adjust it's course, the main purpose is to increase the range of long range snipers, the demonstration is with a .50 caliber round and rifle, like this one:
    A Barrett M82
    .50 Caliber Bullets

They aim to make the ammunition smaller but it will still only be able to be used at long ranges due to it's method of course correction, this method has been used in artillery and similar very high caliber weapons for some time, since the 90s in some cases.

They are designed for ranges of exeeding 2500 meters (8202.1 feet), they require the traget to be marked by the spotter during operation, though some can continue onto the specific point fired instead adjusting for winds and other phenomena.

A single standard 50 Caliber bullet costs around $24 US, the rifle to fire them usually around $6000 US. All of both of which are in circulation but it would also obviously cost more to buy them for a crime where you can't have any serial or issue numbers.
    Many of the uses of it are designed to penetrate vehicle armor up to and including 150mm steel plating...

From what I have read and seen most criminals don't have this kind of equipment as it is, let alone the more expensive rifle and bullet that DARPA is developing. While it is a perfectly reasonable fear that weapons like this fall into the wrong hands; it isn't the atom bomb or a completely revolutionary form of warfare.
    5 people like this post: Gerrick, Ashton Mercer, Michi, Laurentus, Mathyland
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • I'm all for more precision. People are always going to kill each other. At least this way, it reduces the odds slightly that innocents will get hit by stray bullets.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Raxus
  • Former Citizen
  • Crushita's Great Grandfather... get off my lawn, you kids.
  • Interesting. I am personally connected to the military and this is a neat piece of tech. that can have terrible consequences or uses down the road.

His Imperial Madness

Names, Titles, and Positions
    :: Royal Name ::

His Imperial Madness, Archemperor Raxus Caedus-Turn-Leviatus-Azach-Augustus-Danneborg I

:: Royal Titles ::

Patriarch of the Royal Caedus Family,
    Patriarch of the Caedus-Turn Royal Family,
    Chairman of the Turn Conglomerate,
    Brother in the Noble Augustus Family,
    Elder of the Noble Leviatus Family,
    Elder of the Noble Azach Syndicate,
    Son of the Royal Stuart-Danneborg Family,
    Count of Athinda & Prince of the Blood,
    Imperial Temple God of Madness,
    Madly Mad with Madness,
    Eligible Bachelor,
    Blessed Father and Protector of the Clindean Brotherhood

:: Past Notable Positions ::

- First Archemperor of Markarth
    - Former Minister of the Interior of Exshaw
    - Former Chancellor of The United States of Europe
    - Former CEO and Delegate of The Genesis Corporation
    - Duke of the Imperial City
    - Father of Athos
    - Imperator of the Clindean Commonwealth

Note: not all positions listed

Raxus
    • Crushita's Great Grandfather... get off my lawn, you kids.
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]