Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]

Gerrick's Convention Proposal #2 (Houses of Lords and Commons)

Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintrean Press Secretary
  • I do thoroughly enjoy the House system. I think it's incredibly interesting and I'd love to participate in it somehow someday.  I also seriously considered embracing my authority as a Jarl to name some Knights of Integration as a way to recognize sccomplishments, but again, I don't want this to become the Land of Many Titles and Styles.
    In which case, I nominate @Gerrick for winning so many integration contests :P

I suppose this is somewhat of an offshoot, but I didn't feel like making my own thread about the subject.

In order to encompass both the possibilities of an upper house and a lower house while also incorporating the nobility, what if we had our upper house of noble houses and a lower house of common houses? Nobility, after all, have served our region and could be considered worthy enough to influence its legislature.

All members are required to join a house. If one does not join a house, they are assumed to be a house of one.

Noble families are conferred by the Monarch, meaning anyone granted a Wintreath noble title is granted a noble house. Noble houses cannot have fewer than two members, so if a house of one is elevated to nobility, the Wintreath noble must immediately select a member to join their house. Noble families vote on accepting new members, meaning that houses of one can be dissolved and those from common houses can be promoted into noble houses if they wish.
    Noble families gain one representative in the upper house automatically (elected by the members of each house); larger houses gain one member in the legislature for every four members, rounded up.

Members of common houses or lone houses can run for a number of at-large seats in the lower house every two/three months.

There are as of present four noble/royal houses: Kestar (one member), Meindhert (two active members), Penguon (four active members), and Valeria (seven active members), so four houses would be represented in the upper house like there are now. Five members, actually, if you account for the second Valeria representative.

There are quite a few other Citizens who could be represented in common houses either already existing or created under the new system.

The legislative process could either be the same or have either house eligible to introduce legislation. If either house is able to introduce legislation, the same bill (without amendments) must pass both houses as before. If amendments are allowed, the bill must go to a conference committee (like the U.S. House of Representatives).

I prefer keeping the names of the chambers the same: Underhusen and Overhusen. I also hope this proposal isn't too similar to any others that were proposed. I promise I've read all of the discussion, but that was only when it was current, and to revive this, I haven't caught back up from what I've forgotten.
    « Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:49:55 AM by Barnes »
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • I suppose this is somewhat of an offshoot, but I didn't feel like making my own thread about the subject.

In order to encompass both the possibilities of an upper house and a lower house while also incorporating the nobility, what if we had our upper house of noble houses and a lower house of common houses? Nobility, after all, have served our region and could be considered worthy enough to influence its legislature.
    Yeah, this was the basis of the original proposal. :P
    All members are required to join a house. If one does not join a house, they are assumed to be a house of one.

Noble families are conferred by the Monarch, meaning anyone granted a Wintreath noble title is granted a noble house. Noble houses cannot have fewer than two members, so if a house of one is elevated to nobility, the Wintreath noble must immediately select a member to join their house. Noble families vote on accepting new members, meaning that houses of one can be dissolved and those from common houses can be promoted into noble houses if they wish.
    Noble families gain one representative in the upper house automatically (elected by the members of each house); larger houses gain one member in the legislature for every four members, rounded up.

Members of common houses or lone houses can run for a number of at-large seats in the lower house every two/three months.
    This was one way I was interested in going, but then the upper house could include members that Wintermoot may not be comfortable with having in the upper house. My initial proposal had the upper house made up of noble individuals rather than noble family representatives, which would fix that problem as Wintermoot would only choose individuals he wants in the upper house, though the family idea wouldn't get to shine as much.

I remember some people saying they wanted some form of a family-based legislature to replace the UH, so you could try writing up a proposal for that if you're interested. :)
    The legislative process could either be the same or have either house eligible to introduce legislation. If either house is able to introduce legislation, the same bill (without amendments) must pass both houses as before. If amendments are allowed, the bill must go to a conference committee (like the U.S. House of Representatives).
    Having both houses able to introduce bills, then both pass the bill was deemed too complicated (as this was in the initial proposal). I don't think I quite understand the conference committee bit, though.

Honestly, I kind of dropped this proposal as it became so different from what I initially was wanting, though I suppose I could go through it again and try to put together all the suggestions from the thread when I have the time (aka not a day I work as I'm exhausted), so it's not all wasted.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • The idea was that by having noble families select extra individuals for their ranks, they would vote on including only merited members who have contributed to the house/region. By having each house select only one member, it would generally be assumed that a house of two or three would choose its patriarch/noble founder. Of course, the monarch can also veto a representative if he is uncomfortable.

If you're too worn to write a proposal, I can certainly do it. I think it's a good path to go down for both the legislature, meritocracy, and RP, so I want to try to work with it.

I'm just happy that someone responded, because I was worried this would go for days without a reply :P
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • The idea was that by having noble families select extra individuals for their ranks, they would vote on including only merited members who have contributed to the house/region. By having each house select only one member, it would generally be assumed that a house of two or three would choose its patriarch/noble founder. Of course, the monarch can also veto a representative if he is uncomfortable.

If you're too worn to write a proposal, I can certainly do it. I think it's a good path to go down for both the legislature, meritocracy, and RP, so I want to try to work with it.

I'm just happy that someone responded, because I was worried this would go for days without a reply :P
    Of course, you're more than welcome to write up a proposal if you'd like. We can't have too many proposals.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • I'd be happy to draft up a bill, but my main concern is whether Royal Decrees can be amended. A majority of my proposal references Decree 004, but clauses 1 and 2 must be changed to incorporate what I am looking for. (I'm looking for @Wintermoot's approval on this one.)

Regardless, I'll post the bill proposal both in the Convention, the Citizens' Platform, and in the Underhusen; I'll amend it as necessary if it proves either unpopular or is not what the monarch will allow.
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Royal decrees can be amended...by me. :P

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Ah. Take the bill I am about to propose as a suggestion for Royal Decree amendments that would more easily facilitate the Storting Reform's passage, then.
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]