Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Gerrick's Convention Proposal #2 (Houses of Lords and Commons)

Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Not that I have anything against the other parts of the Act but I found the inclusion of the nobility it's biggest selling point. If we're removing that, we're basically only slightly modifying the current system by a tiny bit; I'd support it still, but with far less enthusiasm.

It'd be something entirely unique, insofar as I'm aware, and whilst it doesn't demand involvement in politics OR the House system/culture stuff, it encourages it! What's wrong with that at all?

I'd personally like it if some parts of the House system came under Storting purview (not making people nobkes but having some control over common titles and who got them). Back when Mootles and I discussed the House system I did suggest UH-granted titles, but I don't think it was implemented.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    PB
  • Paragons
  • Without the integration of the nobility the small changes in this act are...good...but maybe not worth the entire referendum process to get this into law. Plus, the two houses of the Storting already have the Chamber Commons and the Citizens Platform to communicate together on bills. If anything, it should be on us to involve the OH in drafting earlier in the process to ensure our bills go through the first time.
    1 person likes this post: Weissreich
    PB
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Yeah, I think there's huge amounts of potential in including the House system, and I for one don't think any of our current citizens would as Moot feared seek title for prestige rather than gaining title on merit. If we expanded the House system, spent some time making everything watertight and gave the Storting an expanded power to grant titles beyond Knight (again, no noble titles) I think we're on to a really good thing here.

Last night, Han, PB and I were talking about the possibility of title awards for activity in the lower chamber of Commons (e.g. Knight, Legate, Councillor, Legislator, whatever, suggestions welcome) for number of laws authored, number of laws sponsored, things like that. It's not major, but it'll be an incentive for people to be involved in the effectively Open Assembly chamber, and the upper chamber would hold the more experienced, region-loyal, or otherwise trusted Monarch's appointees.

There's a lot good with the suggestion, and I don't think we should throw it aside just because of the amount of work involved in its full scope.
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Wintermoot, I understand what you mean, and I'm glad we can have a discussion about this. I'm going to respond to all of your problems with this model, and please don't take it as me being aggressive. I'd be remiss if I didn't try to work out its problems given the several people who have said they might enjoy it. Again, if this is not the way the Storting is moving towards, I'm completely fine with that; I'm just trying to create some solutions. :)

That being said, I'm deeply uncomfortable with the idea of politicizing our regional nobility...as a non-political region, I am uncomfortable with the potential politicization of anything. However, to adopt this proposal would be to determine that one portion of the Citizenry, a portion that's arbitrarily determined, to have their own separate representation from the rest of the Citizenry. I'm concerned the idea could give rise to a Wintrean aristocracy, where people covet titles of nobility not for the recognition of merit it currently represents, but for their own political prestige in the region.
    Politicization is not necessarily a bad thing. Because we are not a political region, people here are not as serious with trying to attain political prestige since there's not much you can do with it (we have a problem with trying to find things to even pass in the legislature). We currently have an Overhusen, Underhusen, and Riksrad, which are all already at least somewhat politicized, and yet we only have a problem with the elected branch. This is not necessarily because people want political prestige but because they want some kind of way to stand out or make an impact. Working towards something is always good and increases activity, even if that something is very unlikely (since only you can allow it). Besides, we'll have a lower house where people can stand out easier (and with a reduced number of officer positions to prevent the UH's problems).

Besides, giving the nobility something other than a title, which seems to only be used for RP, gives the nobility a renewed purpose and meaning. As Laurentus said, if this is your biggest problem with it, then I suppose we can remove this aspect (though some have said it's their favorite part). I was just trying to integrate and make use an existing system that didn't seem to have very much of a purpose.

These people in the upper house would not be arbitrarily determined since you would be the one determining them. You would understand what the titles mean and bring, and would award them to those you saw fit. If you would like to award someone with a title but would not like them to be in the upper house, you could give them a non-noble title.

The fact that the two houses are separate would also not allow the rise of an aristocracy since the two houses are equal. Any power the upper house may have, the lower would have as well.

Additionally, it's not necessarily true that I would recommend everyone with a title to serve in the legislature...not that I'm talking about anyone that currently holds a title, but for example had Alterra or Denth Kasten held a title prior to the events that led to their departure, I would not have revoked it. As a merit-based recognition, they would have deserved to keep their titles in the event that they ever came back, while at the same time they obviously would not be people who would have my confidence or who I would recommend in general.
    Well, with this model, it could be that only people from here on out that are given nobility are people that may be accepted into the upper house (besides those formerly given nobility that you would accept into it). We currently have only 3 active members who are nobles: Weissreich who is a Duke, and Pengu and Laurentus who are Counts. All three currently serve in the Underhusen, which I understand is not the Overhusen, but you have seen their abilities in the Storting. Again, I'm not saying you must allow them to join the upper house, but personally to me it would make sense.

This new upper house will also not be the same as the current Overhusen. In my opinion, the current OH pretty much only represents the Monarch by vetoing. The ability to veto to represent the Monarch would be given straight to you, which you have said in the past is something you'd be OK with (and you could just announce beforehand if you know you wouldn't allow something to pass). The upper house would instead allow experienced members (or just those you trust) to have more input into shaping legislation while at the same time allowing others to perhaps have a better chance of shining by having their own assembly. Even if you only put the current OH members into this new house, it'd still be a start.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea that the Storting should pressure the Monarchy into granting more titles, or into granting titles to specific individuals, or into granting titles for political purposes or for the purposes of making a political system work. Overall, I don't believe that titles should become so...casual, not even the non-noble titles.
    If you are referring to the part where I said the Storting can suggest someone to be moved to the upper house, that's completely understandable. It could put you in an awkward position as well as allow certain people to stack the upper house (not that I think that would do much). In that case, we can remove that bit.

Titles do not have to be made casual. As I said in a previous post, dukes and counts would be very rare (ie, as rare as they are now), and there would only be a few knights. As I had in mind when I wrote this proposal, I expected the upper house to only consist of probably 5-10 individuals at this point. That'd mean of the 60 or so active members, we'd have only a handful of nobles, the majority being knights. This could of course be much lower, especially in the beginning, or it could increase if the number of citizens also increased (as you saw fit). I doubt many new members even knew titles existed, and if they were slightly more visible, then they might be interested in it and be more likely to stick around and get involved.

On a more minor note, the original Constitutional Convention intentionally designed the current system so that legislation would not have to be reconciled between chambers...I think it the idea of reconciliation was rightly seen as a time consuming and messy process, especially on a forum. I personally think that was a good call back then, and I don't see much cause to reverse that now, to be honest.
    Yes, this was be the only downside I saw when writing this proposal. The legislative process may be a little longer, but if it keeps bills from having to be completely rewritten when vetoed by the OH, then it might be easier. Again, it'd also mean the other house would have to amend it rather than just veto it, which means people work together.

If something is time-sensitive, then perhaps a bill could be presented to the entire Storting at once or just the officers or even just the Monarch?
    2 people like this post: Barnes, Weissreich

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • If we remove the nobility part, this proposal looks pretty similar to Crushita's proposal back in November.
    1 person likes this post: BraveSirRobin
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • I don't see anything about having sponsors and stuff in Crush's version.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • If we remove the nobility part, this proposal looks pretty similar to Crushita's proposal back in November.
    That proposal ended up being so obscure and terribly written I forgot I wrote it xD
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I don't see anything about having sponsors and stuff in Crush's version.
    That's why I said "similar," not "identical."
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • With things being that broad, a convincing argument can be made for almost anything being similar. :P
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Alright, so in an effort to avoid blindly pushing an Act that not enough people support again, I'm going to mention a shit-load of people.

I'm quite positive about this idea, but I'd like to try something here. Everyone I mention should please attempt to criticise the shit out of this idea so we can see where all the potential problems lie. That includes people, like myself, who love the idea. It goes back to my campaign about involving the citizenry and attempting to try things like the multi-coloured hats organisational approach (thanks, Business Management, not all your lessons came in one ear and out the other). And of course, because it's being organised this way, absolutely nothing should be taken personally. I will warn against any language that can be considered belittling or flaming, however.

I'd also like to hear @Wintermoot's thoughts on all the comments and suggestions since his own.

So here goes:
    @Weissreich
    @Pengu
    @HannahB
    @North
    @Barnes
    @Point Breeze
    @Colberius X
    @Wuufu
    @Joshua Bluteisen
    @tatte
    @Emoticonius
    @Chanku
    @Sapphiron
    @taulover
    @Feast Potatoes
    @VidiLune
    @Aragonn
    @BraveSirRobin
    @xXTheHydraXx
    @Hugsim
    @Lumenland
    @DekuNut
    @Gerrick
    @Commander_Zemas
    @Daoine pacaiste
    @Lychgate
    @X Renner Dynasty X
    @perutania
    @Rasdanation
    @Thaikrihsmae
    @wirocket
    @Separatists
    @Aubrey
    @Daylen Pheonix

So in case anyone's wondering, I mentioned everyone who voted publicly in the Ratification process of the OA bill, and added a few people who've recently become prominent.
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Weissreich
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Oh, and @Reux. And I spelt @Daylen Phoenix wrong.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • In this case I have to side with Wintermoot.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Could you elaborate?
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I am unsure I can really say anything other than I agree with the statements Wintermoot has made, at least without repeating Wintermoot.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Okay, so you fully agree with every detail of Wintermoot's statements? Understood.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4