Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8

Citizenship: Add Post Requirement?

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • There used to be an introduction section at the end of the Citizenship app...would it be better to have the intro in the app?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Mathyland
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
  • There used to be an introduction section at the end of the Citizenship app...would it be better to have the intro in the app?
    I liked having a welcome thread for each person that is separate from the apps so that others can ask questions without the person making an AMA thread or welcome the new person. I like the questions and welcomes to be in a separate place from the place where the citizenship app is accepted.

A separate welcome thread could also introduce the new person to the other members and the other members to the new person, as opposed to an AMA where the other members are introduced to the new one. In AMAs, it feels like it's more one-sided than in a welcome thread.
    Résumé

Hogwarts NS:

Co-WA Delegate: June 13, 2016-present
    Hufflepuff student: April 9, 2016-present
    House points earned: 7 (Also, 40 points were a group effort, so I earned part of that as well)
    Host of Death Eaters II

Wintreath:

Citizen: September 6, 2016-present

Underhusen Terms
    The 21st Underhusen
    The 22nd Underhusen
    The 23rd Underhusen - secretary
    The 24th Underhusen
    The 25th Underhusen
    The 26th Underhusen
    The 27th Underhusen

Other:

NationStates nation: March 11, 2016-present

[/i]
    Mathyland
    • Wintreath's Potato Archbishop and Official Grammar Police
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I also think that adding an "introduce yourself" subforum is a good idea
    Or rather, restoring, since IIRC that used to be a thing.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I'm honestly kind of opposed to a post requirement. I mean, in complete honesty, if it wasn't for the fact that I had sweet fuck-all to do while way out in the boonies, I would have continued my bullheaded obstinacy of not joining the forums because the idea of having to make 5 posts when I don't know anybody, and don't know if I can contribute, is kind of alarming. It helped that Ainur refugees did know me and welcomed me, but I imagine it's much worse for someone who is genuinely new to the game and the community as a whole.
    I think what it really is is that having a post requirement kind of makes it feel like you're intruding into rather than joining a community. That requirement kind of suggests 'there is a club, and you're not necessarily in it', and that can be a big disincentive to try and join in.

As an addendum to that, I might suggest that in order to really make someone feel like they're wanted in the community (as opposed to just sort of passively being like 'oh okay you're new here') that, rather than have them create an AMA or something like that, that someone else (ordinarily I'd suggest the Jarl of Integration but he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) create a welcome thread for them (once they'd been granted citizenship, natch). There it's kind of a place where we introduce ourselves to them, so it's not a 'hi I'm the new guy' kind of deal, it's more of a 'hey, we're glad you're joining us!'
    That to me seems like a much more successful means of integrating new people into the community, as opposed to just passively letting them insert themselves in a way that they might feel is a bit intrusive.
    I might also suggest automatically assigning a mentor, and then letting the person say 'oh, no, that's not really necessary' if they don't want one. Of course, that would require people who'd be down to mentor.
    3 people like this post: Chanku, Mathyland, Melehan
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • As an addendum to that, I might suggest that in order to really make someone feel like they're wanted in the community (as opposed to just sort of passively being like 'oh okay you're new here') that, rather than have them create an AMA or something like that, that someone else (ordinarily I'd suggest the Jarl of Integration but he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) create a welcome thread for them (once they'd been granted citizenship, natch). There it's kind of a place where we introduce ourselves to them, so it's not a 'hi I'm the new guy' kind of deal, it's more of a 'hey, we're glad you're joining us!'
    That to me seems like a much more successful means of integrating new people into the community, as opposed to just passively letting them insert themselves in a way that they might feel is a bit intrusive.
    I might also suggest automatically assigning a mentor, and then letting the person say 'oh, no, that's not really necessary' if they don't want one. Of course, that would require people who'd be down to mentor.
    Those are some good ideas...unfortunately as you mentioned we have some issues with some of the ministries, but they're good ideas that ought to be enacted. I'm curious...in these topics that someone would create to welcome people to the community, would they say just about the same thing or try to customize it? I'm asking because I imagine it would be hard to come up with more than a few variations of a welcome post, but on the other hand we could try our hand at automating it when someone is made a Citizen.

On the other hand, by that point they've already had to post a Citizenship app...wouldn't they have already introduced themselves in a way by then?
    Or rather, restoring, since IIRC that used to be a thing.
    I don't believe there was ever a dedicated subforum for introductions...at one time the AMA forum functioned for both, though.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Or rather, restoring, since IIRC that used to be a thing.
    I don't believe there was ever a dedicated subforum for introductions...at one time the AMA forum functioned for both, though.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Pretty sure it was first AMA+intros, then apps+intros, but now, Gatekeep's Post doesn't even mention introductions.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • As I mentioned I might do the other day, I put together some data on the matter. I took the number of recruitment telegrams sent, the maximum regional population recorded by NSDossier, and the number of Citizenship applications posted, and then I put them in a chart with trendlines. For all cases, blue are months before the requirement was implemented, and red are months after it was implemented.

As it so happens, we haven't recruited nearly as much after the change as before, which partially explains the issue. However, even comparing months before and after the requirement was adopted where nearly the same number of telegrams were sent, months from before the requirement almost universally saw more Citizenship apps. I have to admit, I'm not an expert statistician, but at least to me the data is fairly compelling.

5 people like this post: taulover, BraveSirRobin, Mathyland, Aethelia, Melehan

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Inspired by Wintermoot's post I finally decided to make some graphs based off of the data I presented to the Underhusen (You can find that here )

Images
    Unmarked

Marked (with the date that the Post Requirement took effect)

(Note: The last chart is not the same chart type as the other two, it is an XY chat, due to the fact that Line Chart's don't do the line well, I also only had the last chart in lines because I had to do something hackish to get it to work, and the line wouldn't have appeared outside of the line graph)

Edit: While talking to Wintermoot I figured out how I could combine some of the data he was talking about to see if there was an alternative cause, or any correlations with other factors, so I checked to see if the amount of recruiting has any direct effect on the numbers of Citizens we have, from the graphs that I have show no direct effect on the two, below are the graphs.
    Moar Graphz

(Duplicates and Outlier removed)

There seemed to have been a data error between the first two graphs, however that error is in an outlier so I am less worried about that at this time. I defined Duplicate as any data for a month that had multiple points (this was relevant for the Citizenship Numbers), in which I removed all of the data for that month, except the last reported citizenship value, the outlier that I excluded the citizenship number and telegrams sent that were reported May of 2015. This would lead me to believe that there recruitment has no direct correlation on citizenship numbers, somewhat surprisingly.

However, I will also note that the correlation between Nation Numbers and Telegram Amounts are have a very weak positive correlation, with the correlation coefficient for the data (both with and without that outlier for recruitment removed) are below 0.30, With the outlier it was roughly 0.22 and without it it was roughly 0.16, I would expect it to be more strongly correlated. This leads me to believe that the dataset Wintermoot provided is too small to use when it comes to these kinds of analysis, and thus would make the conclusions drawn here to be inaccurate.

Also please note that I may have made an error during this or, in fact, mis-interpreted or misread any of these numbers. I may also be doing something incorrectly, I only took one DC Stats Class (taught by someone who was horrible and frequently got things wrong) that I didn't pay attention in this past school year, and the data graphs may also be incorrect due to errors in data collection. Any one who knows more of what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated for their double-checking of my information.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Melehan
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:44:47 AM by Chanku »
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Wintermoot
  • I think the issue with your second series of graphs is that you're comparing total Citizens against telegrams sent, when the number of Citizens is determined by other things as well such as nations CTEing, the number of checks done that month (Citizenship checks have happened more often recently), and after November 2016 whether they had made at least five post that month or the previous month. Total Citizen numbers in the checks also include Paragons, who in many cases haven't been involved in the region in years. Since so much more goes into it, you wouldn't expect a strong correlation between recruitment for a particular month and the cumulative number of Citizens up to that point.

I think a better comparison is telegrams sent vs Citizenship apps...even there it's not perfect, but you would expect a stronger correlation since most (but not all, which is why it isn't perfect) members apply soon after being recruited to the region by a telegram.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Melehan

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Those are some good ideas...unfortunately as you mentioned we have some issues with some of the ministries, but they're good ideas that ought to be enacted. I'm curious...in these topics that someone would create to welcome people to the community, would they say just about the same thing or try to customize it? I'm asking because I imagine it would be hard to come up with more than a few variations of a welcome post, but on the other hand we could try our hand at automating it when someone is made a Citizen.

On the other hand, by that point they've already had to post a Citizenship app...wouldn't they have already introduced themselves in a way by then?
    I mean, if you thought that would be effective, sure, it could very well simply be a sort of forum equivalent to the welcome TG that everybody who moves into the region gets - but if anyone .
    To be honest, it could very well just be one topic where whenever somebody gets citizenship, they get a shoutout and people pile on and welcome them - or it could just be a sort of tacit encouragement for, at the very least, the Underhusen, Ministers, etc. to jump in on someone's citizenship app and say 'hey what up'. It's just that I think the goal should be to take away the feeling that the new person is doing the online equivalent of walking up to a group of people he doesn't know at a party, and instead make it feel more like they're being actively encouraged to join this group by the people in it.

And sure, they've already introduced themselves, but 1) that's a great tool to personalize people's welcome messages with, since they'll have said things about themselves (and everyone loves talking about themselves, with the clear exception of me, seeing as I'm the most humble person in the world), and 2) in online communities there's always this feeling of everyone kind of knowing you (because you've introduced yourself) but you not knowing them (unless you take the time to go dig up their citizenship app), and that kind of blunts conversations because suddenly the easiest topic in the world (again, talking about themselves) is sort of talked out already.
    1 person likes this post: Melehan
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:28:52 PM by Doc »
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I think the issue with your second series of graphs is that you're comparing total Citizens against telegrams sent, when the number of Citizens is determined by other things as well such as nations CTEing, the number of checks done that month (Citizenship checks have happened more often recently), and after November 2016 whether they had made at least five post that month or the previous month. Total Citizen numbers in the checks also include Paragons, who in many cases haven't been involved in the region in years. Since so much more goes into it, you wouldn't expect a strong correlation between recruitment for a particular month and the cumulative number of Citizens up to that point.

I think a better comparison is telegrams sent vs Citizenship apps...even there it's not perfect, but you would expect a stronger correlation since most (but not all, which is why it isn't perfect) members apply soon after being recruited to the region by a telegram.
    However that doesn't explain the things I came across in my edit, meaning the rather weak correlation between Nation Numbers and Telegrams sent, which I expected to at least have a correlation coeffecient of 0.30, meaning it would be, weakly correlated. Also Wintermoot I never said I expected a strong correlation between Citizenship Numbers and Telegram amounts, however I will admit I expected a stronger correlation beyond what is shown, in fact I expected it to get around 0.15, but I didn't.

In any case I decided to redo the second series of graphs, but I got the same thing, I did put together a second graph, which excluded the months that I didn't have citizenship numbers for (I previously threw all of them into a graph which was a mistake, unfortunately I didn't save this new graph), which revealed a correlation coefficient of 0.12, with that outlier (I didn't recompute without the outlier, but I expect it would be even less that 0.10, which, if I recall correctly, means there is practically no correlation). This leads me to revise my previous statement, in that I do not believe we can faithfully compare the two data sets due to the fact that the second (Wintermoot's Data Set) due to it being too small and the first data set (My data set/Citizenship Numbers) due to the fact that My data set is also too small when excluding the data before March 2015, and when comparing the two the citizenship count is not collected every month past March 2015.

So basically, unless someone wants to compute the data for citizenship at the end of every month, excluding paragons the conclusions drawn from here seem somewhat useless for our uses, as we don't have enough citizenship data to compare it against the other dataset, and I am unsure we have enough data from before the measure was implemented in order to draw meaningful conclusions from that.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Wintermoot
  • Well, the nation numbers are misleading because they're the maximum recorded by NSDossier in that month...if the region was in decline at the time, the maximum would have been at the beginning of the month...if I had used the minimum count in a month the numbers would have been very different in some areas. In any case, I included it as a frame of reference rather than something to do hard statistics with.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I mean, if you thought that would be effective, sure, it could very well simply be a sort of forum equivalent to the welcome TG that everybody who moves into the region gets - but if anyone .
    To be honest, it could very well just be one topic where whenever somebody gets citizenship, they get a shoutout and people pile on and welcome them - or it could just be a sort of tacit encouragement for, at the very least, the Underhusen, Ministers, etc. to jump in on someone's citizenship app and say 'hey what up'. It's just that I think the goal should be to take away the feeling that the new person is doing the online equivalent of walking up to a group of people he doesn't know at a party, and instead make it feel more like they're being actively encouraged to join this group by the people in it.

And sure, they've already introduced themselves, but 1) that's a great tool to personalize people's welcome messages with, since they'll have said things about themselves (and everyone loves talking about themselves, with the clear exception of me, seeing as I'm the most humble person in the world), and 2) in online communities there's always this feeling of everyone kind of knowing you (because you've introduced yourself) but you not knowing them (unless you take the time to go dig up their citizenship app), and that kind of blunts conversations because suddenly the easiest topic in the world (again, talking about themselves) is sort of talked out already.
    Do you think it'd be the same as if everyone introduced themselves in their Citizenship topic? I suppose we don't really talk much about ourselves to new members...just welcome them and approve their app. =/

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I mean, if you thought that would be effective, sure, it could very well simply be a sort of forum equivalent to the welcome TG that everybody who moves into the region gets - but if anyone .

Do you think it'd be the same as if everyone introduced themselves in their Citizenship topic? I suppose we don't really talk much about ourselves to new members...just welcome them and approve their app. =/
    Perhaps we should add back the old Section II of the application that asked new members to introduce themselves.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I have an idea that could potentially be used for the issue of not enough people wanting to be mentors. Perhaps we could have people in the government that have been here for X amount of time must mentor at least one person X period of time?

So elected officials would be required to mentor someone prior to an election or after an election to stand for reelection and the Monarch could set the requirement for the Riksrad?
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku