Poll

What do you want from the Constitutional Convention?

An Open Assembly, as per the current proposal.
9 (31%)
An Open Assembly, as per the amendments listed in this thread/any others suggested.
11 (37.9%)
A Bicameral Assembly, as per a post I will make in this thread.
3 (10.3%)
No change from the current Underhusen/Overhusen system.
6 (20.7%)
Other (please comment with details)
0 (0%)
No preference.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6

[DISCUSSION] Storting Reformation Amendment Act

taulover
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Again we have so few people even bothering to comment.
    I don't know about other people, but I'm not commenting because frankly, I feel that the government isn't the main focus of Wintreath and so anything could work. The current system, while it can be viewed as broken, still stirs up activity every other month, and gets things done when it needs to. An open assembly would also work, as long as people are willing to contribute when necessary. But there are far more important things in Wintreath than the government, like the growing cultural events, and Wintreath will probably survive and thrive either way.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Thank you for an honest answer.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I guess in some way I agree. I feel that we're slowly becoming a gaming community and shedding our identity as a NationStates region, and part of that is less of a focus on government than in the past. Of course we are a NS region, and we have a government, but we haven't focused on NS things in some time now, besides recruitment of course.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • The problem is that we still rely on the legislature for certain things, and that people currently serving in it tend to become really negative, really quickly.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • How so? Tempers flared last night, but I thought the people serving in it have overall have been exemplary.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Many people serve one term, then decide that they'd rather not deal with the drama again. I completely understand why too. These past few days have probably been the worst I've ever seen in this region, but far smaller disputes have still been enough to make some people absolutely despise the UH, none of them any less exemplary than the current sitting.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • As a supporter of the Act, let me try and address the concerns people have.

1) My opinion on this is that it would do little to nothing to address people's concerns. If we are worried about another region invading, I doubt a week would deter them. If we are worried about creepy pricks like my former colleague then that to would be useless to. So any kind of waiting period would be unworkable.

2) Tyranny of the majority, also know as democracy.

3) Considering that Moot would still have to pass bills and acts, I see no problem. If we want someone else to have veto power, the OA can appoint someone.

4) I always thought abstaining was simple, not a vote for or against, just stating that you don't want to vote.

5) The role of officers can be decided by the OA. My personal idea would be a speaker to organize votes and other things, a vice speaker in case the speaker is unavailable and a whip to bring as many people as possible to vote.

6) Again, we are putting the cart before the horse, a COC can be decided by the OA.

I think an Open Assembly is the best way forward for all of us. If the people want more discussion or another way, however, I will oblige. I just wanted to get my two cents in.
    1) Ok, so what would you suggest instead?

Wintermoot made a good point (quoted below) about the activity requirement perhaps working better, so maybe a... 15 post requirement before you can vote? You're still able to take part in discussions in the OA, but until that 15 post threshold you're not allowed to vote. This might be a better compromise than a week waiting period, as post requirements = actually getting a feel for new members through their own messages etc.

2) Others have made the point that for all we do have democracy, we've also had some people feel like they couldn't put their opinion forward against the majority position. I'm in no way criticising the work people have done, and I completely understand the frustrations arising from the way this ratification has gone down, but we've noticed one way or another a problem that needs to be fixed before we go ahead with the OA.

The extended debating period isn't a perfect measure by any means, so please suggest ways to improve it. Eventually we'll have a Code of Conduct et cetera to ensure decent behaviour from all involved in debates, but this is more a different matter IMO - ensuring ideas get critiqued properly before going forward is quite important. I suggested an extended debate time to ensure nothing gets rushed through under the auspices of overwhelming support, although perhaps a week is a little too long and might stifle debate rather than encourage critique...

The idea about Devil's Advocate is simply to ensure that critique happens. Ideally, I'd like to see the person who suggests a proposal list one or two things they think people should look at improving in the Act, but everyone strives to write the best proposal they can. It'd work better if people politely went through and checked a Bill with a fine comb even if they agreed with it, just to make sure there's no improvements to be made or loopholes to be closed.

3) Yeah, that's one way of handling it. Do we think it would be best for the OA to appoint Officers or a group of Officers once it gets off the ground?

5) I really like the idea of a Whip, and that also provides a way to increase activity once someone posts up a proposal. I definitely support functional Officers rather than for-show positions, so anything that might provide useful work for members to do (and gain experience etc) is always a plus.

6) Again, if we feel this is the best way of doing it I have no concerns. It was merely something that came up in debate so I made a suggestion. The idea to have it codified with the OA into the FL is to prevent pointless manipulation of the CoC at some indeterminate point in the future, but that's probably an empty concern.

We actually had a lot of these debates during the original Constitutional Convention, and these were some of the points raised...along with my own thoughts, especially where we didn't have these debates.

1) This is something I even encouraged discussion about, so it was not 'cast aside' as not important. It's just that most people who participated felt that it did more harm than good. I'm not really opposed to some measure, but I don't see the purpose of a one-week waiting period. It's not going to deter any serious region or organization from infiltrating the region if all they have to do is to wait a week before can start voting. If we must have some sort of requirement here, I would support an activity requirement over a 'waiting' requirement.

2) I'm not sure you can legislate away this problem...to some extent is's a problem with all democratic governments, but it may be a larger issue here in Wintreath since our culture places emphasis on consensus decisions. You can have a longer debate period, but this Convention had months of debate and discussion and that didn't avoid the problems that arose today. At times the Underhusen has also been apt to expedite debates and vote on legislation, even when it wasn't necessary to do so. I'm not sure the solution for this problem yet, but I don't think it's something that any legislation can fix on its own.

3) The current version is actually the result of a compromise...if I remember correctly it was 2/3 to begin with, but after some people suggested an absolute veto this was the compromise. I don't personally really care, although of course I like 3/4 just fine, lol, but there are some people who want a strengthened Monarchy in the region, and this compromise was a nod to them.

4) How about we vote aye if we support it, nay if we don't support it, and abstain if they are neutral toward it like it pretty much is already? If people absolutely don't want to vote, they could just...not vote. It's not as if voting is required or there's some punishment for not voting, even for those in the Storting as it is.

5) I don't know what they would do, but it seemed like a good idea to have a system in place to allow the option for other officers if they were needed. When the Underhusen started it was just the Speaker, and then the Speaker Pro Tempore was written into the Procedural Rules, and much later the Secretary position was written into them. Arguably, even without the system written into the Fundamental Laws, the Storting could still create officer positions by modifying the Procedural Rules...so it may be unnecessary, but not due to lack of potential use.

6) If there's a concern about things being changed on a whim, perhaps the solution is to make it more difficult to change the Procedural Rules instead of putting them directly into the Fundamental Laws. Don't forget that besides being ratified, amendments require approval from the Monarchy...just seems kinda odd to have veto power over Procedural Rules as an extension of that. :P
    1) See my answer to North - the week waiting period doesn't seem like the best way to do it, but either way if this was an issue that was settled it no longer is, as I've seen people complain about security concerns since the Act went up for ratification.

2) Yeah, it's a tough one to work through but I think we can come up with a few ideas as to how to make it work. I'm not saying legislate a requirement for people to oppose proposals for the sake of it, merely saying it might work best if there's some kind of memo to everyone that it's a good idea to double-check proposals for potential improvement :)

3) Gov was the one who kept suggesting a 2/3rds supermajority, but if it's been collectively decided that 3/4ths works better then I'm more than happy to go along with that.

4) Eh, I've simply heard a lot of concerns about abstentions in the last few days and thought it might be best to define them a little more clearly. That said, it seems the UH has already moved to do so, so that change would likely be carried over to the OH and this point is mooted.

5) One thing I bandied around, although again this is by no means a finished proposal, was an Officer or Officers who had the duty of polishing up legalise and submitting it to the Presiding Officer to go up for vote. Not sure how well that would work, as it might be a lot of work for those Officers, but this way we could have a team of more experienced legal authors put things together to avoid any errors new or newer members might make, and also allows for a rotation of candidates so as to allow newer members to gain experience in writing law from more experienced elders.

6) Good point - could we write the Procedural Rules/CoC into law with a requirement for a 2/3rds or 3/4ths majority vote in the Open Assembly before any amendments could be made? If so that definitely works better than codifying it into the FL.

@North and @Wintermoot, just to tag you :)
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I like a lot of what your saying, @Weissreich, but I have a couple of thoughts.

We could make it 15 posts, we could make it 1500, a dedicated raiding region could and would still infiltrate us, hell, I got 15 posts by applying for citizenship and opening a QnA. No measure we make would really address the issue and would only serve to alienate potential Citizens. Which is why I am against any form of a requirement, be it length of citizenship or number of posts.

I happen to agree with a "Devil's Advocate" position and would introduce legislation to create a "Loyal Opposition" position in the OA.

I agree that we might need someone to be a legalise expert. I disagree that they should be elected.

The definition of a ABSTAIN VOTE is being discussed so that is no longer a issue.

Other than that I agree.
    1 person likes this post: Weissreich
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • I like a lot of what your saying, @Weissreich, but I have a couple of thoughts.

We could make it 15 posts, we could make it 1500, a dedicated raiding region could and would still infiltrate us, hell, I got 15 posts by applying for citizenship and opening a QnA. No measure we make would really address the issue and would only serve to alienate potential Citizens. Which is why I am against any form of a requirement, be it length of citizenship or number of posts.

I happen to agree with a "Devil's Advocate" position and would introduce legislation to create a "Loyal Opposition" position in the OA.

I agree that we might need someone to be a legalise expert. I disagree that they should be elected.

The definition of a ABSTAIN VOTE is being discussed so that is no longer a issue.

Other than that I agree.
    Good points all round, so here's my response (numbered based on paragraph breaks in your post):

1) I know what you're saying here, and I do understand. That said, I did a quick check on Citizenship applications and we have an awful lot of people who sign up just to post their citizenship apps and then are never seen again on the forums. For the sake of activity, if nothing else, a minimum post count (no matter how low, it's not meant to be off-putting) would mean potential OA members would have to prove they're capable of staying around longer than just one day.

You also made the point that you got your 15 posts by opening a QnA - that would actually be encouraged, imo! A QnA thread is one of the best ways for us to get to know new members, so if people hit post count through that I actually wouldn't have complaints.

At the end of the day, however, this isn't a perfect system and I don't think there is a perfect system for checking activity and intent of new members. That said, this does go some way towards achieving at least one of those things, so I think I can continue to advocate its addition in good faith. How would you improve such a thing? Any ideas?

2) I like the idea of Loyal Opposition in principle but how far would that go to creating a party system in the OA? Mayhap an Officer corp of two or three people who have the duty to look at suggestions only from a Devil's Advocate position? There'll be a way to work this out, I'm sure, and I think it could work to our benefit.

3) Disagree that they should be elected why? My idea is that by making it an elected position, we allow free rotation between our experienced first-term Officers (I imagine, at least) and newer members who want to gain experience legislating. What would be the alternative without making a second unelected chamber, or would that be the route you'd want to go down?

4) Yeah, as long as the eventual changes are carried over to the eventual OA, I'm happy :)
    Archivist Academic

Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Actually now that I'm thinking about it again, I would actually be in favor of a small post requirement -- not as a security measure, but to make sure the citizens are even minorly dedicated to the region.

If you look at the "Citizens" group at the bottom of the home page, you'll see that we currently have 102 citizens, all of whom would currently be part of the OA. If you sort by posts, however, you'll see that only 37 have more than 15 posts, and only 32 of those have been active in the past three months. Add the rest of us who have other positions (UH, OH, Riksrad, Paragons), and the OA would consist of about 50ish people, which is much more manageable. If we had a whip (or just something to account for all the members who vote or whatever), having this small requirement would be very helpful.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Actually now that I'm thinking about it again, I would actually be in favor of a small post requirement -- not as a security measure, but to make sure the citizens are even minorly dedicated to the region.

If you look at the "Citizens" group at the bottom of the home page, you'll see that we currently have 102 citizens, all of whom would currently be part of the OA. If you sort by posts, however, you'll see that only 37 have more than 15 posts, and only 32 of those have been active in the past three months. Add the rest of us who have other positions (UH, OH, Riksrad, Paragons), and the OA would consist of about 50ish people, which is much more manageable. If we had a whip (or just something to account for all the members who vote or whatever), having this small requirement would be very helpful.
    Yeah, the more I think about the idea of a post requirement the more I realise its use as an activity/dedication measure over it's application as a security measure. The idea of a Whip Officer has already been suggested, but by your count 50 is far more manageable and I'm very in favour of the suggestion.

Would 15 posts be acceptable? Should it perhaps be as high as 30, or as low as 10?
    Archivist Academic

Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Yeah, the more I think about the idea of a post requirement the more I realise its use as an activity/dedication measure over it's application as a security measure. The idea of a Whip Officer has already been suggested, but by your count 50 is far more manageable and I'm very in favour of the suggestion.

Would 15 posts be acceptable? Should it perhaps be as high as 30, or as low as 10?
    Raising it to 30 would remove 6 people, while lowering it to 10 would add 9 people. I personally think 15 is good.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Hmm..

As a security measure a requirement is useless but as a measure to check activity it would work. I just worry about pushing people away.
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Raising it to 30 would remove 6 people, while lowering it to 10 would add 9 people. I personally think 15 is good.
    Fair enough then, does anyone else have any thoughts on this 15 post requirement?

Hmm..

As a security measure a requirement is useless but as a measure to check activity it would work. I just worry about pushing people away.
    Honestly, if we're allowing people to participate in debates with the only thing the 15 post count requirement preventing being actually voting on proposals, I don't think we'll push anyone away. Most people I'm sure can understand the merits of an activity check before they're fully integrated in the region, and it might well help us retain more of the 1-post citizens we get applying every so often :)
    Archivist Academic

Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintrean Press Secretary
  • Obviously not in numerical order.

The best thing about an activity requirement would be that we can hear out someone's debate/thoughts on a specific bill before the reach the requisite number to be able to vote. I support neither an activity requirement nor a tenure requirement for joining the legislature because they do nothing to curtail invasion and security; their only purpose would be to ensure dedication and to get to know the individuals in question, which hasn't been a problem anyway for those actively involved currently. However, if the assembly wants to impose an activity requirement in some way, one of posts would be the best way to go. Fifteen is an ideal amount.

I am highly in favour of a whip to engage voters and ensure their count in bill discussion. I sort of do that already when I call Underhusen members to show up for a bill's vote. As for an opposition, that would only work well in the case of elected political parties, which, if Wintreath is to remain officially "not a political region", becomes detrimental to apolitical ideas. I just hope that this debate has caused some to take it upon themselves in the near future to become the devil's advocate for bills. Officially implementing that system, however, should become nothing more than an "on your honour" system.

The only way to clarify the use of an abstain vote would be to omit it entirely, clearly because this has caused far too much controversy. Thenceforth, the only outcomes of a vote would be aye or nay, and the only method of abstention would simply be to not vote. Such a system would work better in an open assembly than in a far smaller legislative body such as the Underhusen or Overhusen, because no one can really blame absent members for not voting when there are significantly more members. A qualified supermajority has already been outlined in the Storting Reformation Amendment Act as "two thirds of those voting", so those not voting would not have an influence, which is what the abstention's intention is.
    Barnes
    • Wintrean Press Secretary
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6