Pages: [1]

Wintermoot's Project

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Wintermoot's Project: Empires and Legends
    Site: http://wintreath.com/empires/

Premise
    Starting out as a lone adventurer, chart the path to your own destiny with a vast number of ways to advance yourself in the world. In your lifetime you may make it by leading a band of warriors, starting a business, building a town, founding an empire, and more. Empires and Legends is envisioned as a turn-based browser game, where each player will be given a number of "action points" each turn to use as they see fit. During the course of each turn, players will be able to travel the world map, interact with empires, towns, and other players, and manage their character, including gaining experience and assigning skill points that will help in any endeavor they choose to take on.

Suffice to say this is an extremely ambitions project, especially since I'm starting so late, but I will do the best I can to get things going and design around however much time I have left in the contest. During the month I will also be running test servers for people to try so I can get as much feedback as possible. :)
    2 people like this post: tatte, Wuufu
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:23:03 AM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Project Log: 9 February 2016
    I spent my project time today fiddling with design and coming up with the name of the project. Most significantly, I finally decided on a design choice I'd been thinking for awhile...to make a team-based game where a number of people would be required for an empire or side to succeed, or a game where each player would run all aspects of an empire by themselves at all levels. The latter would probably be simpler to code, but I'm really attracted to the idea that players could do lots of things other than run an empire...or maybe they would be neutral and not be involved in one at all. I think going with the team-based idea is riskier since it will require more work and could end up being a poor design choice, but I think it has the potential to make for a funner game.

I also had originally envisioned empires being created before the game, with players choosing to join that empire spawning on the empire's pre-built capital, but that presented a number of issues, in that it would require additional coding for players to 'found' empires before the game had even started, and would probably mean that empires would remain static throughout the entire game. Ultimately, I decided that they should be founded in-game in a manner similar to guilds...this would allow empires to rise and fall during the course of the game and give players another option that they can work for.

And the name...names take a long time for me to come up with. :P

9 February 2016 Part 2
    Knowing how far behind I am with getting started I devoted some extra time to starting the website, which you can find here. Since I ended up spending most of the time fiddling with the design, nothing actually works yet, but at least I have something up. Speaking of design, I found a great tool for picking colours that work well together: Coolors. Thanks to this site, I at least have a design with colours that reasonably match each other.
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:29:18 AM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation