Pages: [1]

Suggestion for a month long Programming Challenge

tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • I'm only doing this because Chanku has stated that "anyone may host another one". My intention is to fill the apparent demand for a longer running event.

I have drafted the details and they can be seen here: Google Docs

TL;DR
    - event lasts for about a month
    - no council or other dedicated event organizer
    - semi-random theme
    - strict yet flexible schedule for everyone's benefit

I reckon this kind of event, if successful, could be held every second or third month.

I'm open to suggestions / happy to answer any questions. If someone feels like this couldn't be further from how this should be done, I welcome people to use the same freedom I used and propose entirely new event.

Obviously I'm looking for feedback especially from @Wintermoot as he holds the power to allow/deny events. My request would be a dedicated subforum. I'm also open to sharing one with Chanku, but that might not be ideal for either of us.
    3 people like this post: Wuufu, HannahB, Govindia
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Hugsim
  • Citizen
  • The Formerly Right Honourable
  • About this part:
    Rules
    1. Choice of programming language(s) is free.
    2. All relevant code has to be done during the competition and by you alone.
    3. Libraries and APIs are allowed, but need to be listed and explained in entry post.
    4. Late entries/entries without source get discarded.
    2 and 3 kind of contradict each other, 2 saying that you must code everything by yourself and 3 saying that you can use external libraries. As for #4, you could perhaps clarify that everyone has to provide the source code for their program.

Otherwise, it looks good. A longer timeframe is definitely better for most people.
    Skrifa of the 8th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 7th Underhusen
    Acting speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    • The Formerly Right Honourable
    Hugsim
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • With regards to 2 and 3, I think what's trying to be said is that you must write the program yourself, including your use of libraries/APIs. That's the 'relevant' part of rule 2. You can't just ship a program of libraries :P

Then, for every library/API that you use to help code your 'relevant code', you need to list that with a detailed description as to what it's for.

Not sure what the best way to rephrase rules 2 and 3 so that it works.
    1 person likes this post: Govindia
    Wuufu
    • Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • The only main issue is that no one is actually RUNNING this...so is the outcome going to have a winner, or would it be a programming challenge or more like a 'Mini Ludum Dare'?

If it is we could just put Mini before the name of our programming competition :P
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • The only main issue is that no one is actually RUNNING this...so is the outcome going to have a winner, or would it be a programming challenge or more like a 'Mini Ludum Dare'?

If it is we could just put Mini before the name of our programming competition :P
    No one was running yours either and it turned out to have a winner. :D For what would there have to be a constant, bored babysitter? And no, no mini. It's bigger than yours. :P I'm not familiar with Ludum Dare so that's not what I'm even trying to emulate here.

Hugsim & Wuufu, I'll try to rephrase those parts today.
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Sounds great! :) My only concern is that if you run a contest in February and Chanku runs one in March, people might start getting burned out on programming competitions. Preferably the two of you would get together on a schedule for programming competitions, but if not I suspect the community will lean toward the one that's best-ran.

Also, if you want to do this in February you'll want to start promoting it this week, especially if you want something to go out to foreign regions about it.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • I have revised the draft.

I addressed the pointed issues including Chanku's concern for it practically being un-run. To clarify this further, I will be taking care of formal things like putting up necessary topics and answering any questions.

Scheduling two programming events is tricky, but if people just keep in mind that despite of the greater length the goal here is not to create the next operating system. I hope participants will take it easy and save the hardcore efforts for Chanku's sprints.
    1 person likes this post: Govindia
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • I have revised the draft.

I addressed the pointed issues including Chanku's concern for it practically being un-run. To clarify this further, I will be taking care of formal things like putting up necessary topics and answering any questions.

Scheduling two programming events is tricky, but if people just keep in mind that despite of the greater length the goal here is not to create the next operating system. I hope participants will take it easy and save the hardcore efforts for Chanku's sprints.

Firstly, congrats to @tatte for his 1,000th post!

Secondly, programming competitions should be fun, not feel like an assignment or a chore.

Thirdly, there should be a theme and type for each competition IMO.

Fourthly, I would suggest mandating that people comment their code so people can understand what's intended in each section.  From a programming standpoint, it is very important to have comments in your code that are just as understandable as the code itself!
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • Thank you!

I have intentionally avoided specifying requirements regarding coding habits. Things like commenting code fall under the common sense part. Having such specific rules would push the event towards the assignment/choice category you mentioned.

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to with assignment/chore part? This event certainly isn't too strict and Chanku is basing his on established and liked competition.

There will be a theme but what do you mean by type?
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Thank you!

I have intentionally avoided specifying requirements regarding coding habits. Things like commenting code fall under the common sense part. Having such specific rules would push the event towards the assignment/choice category you mentioned.

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to with assignment/chore part? This event certainly isn't too strict and Chanku is basing his on established and liked competition.

There will be a theme but what do you mean by type?

It should be specified.  As far as I can tell no one commented their code last time.

I guess your last post came off differently to me when you mentioned "hardcore" about Chanku's competition.  Not everyone is hardcore on programming and treats its casually.

By type I mean game versus useful programming application like a calculator or something.

Other Areas of NS:

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Also we should have a judging panel decide this. I would suggest you pick myself, yourself, and @Wintermoot to do this since we all have decent coding experience and you're suggesting this competition.

Other Areas of NS:

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • Judging panel or council is one of the fundamental things I wanted to do different compared to Chanku's event. This is casual and relaxed event. Long list of rules and judging based on that is not something I want to do with this. I'm not saying there wouldn't be merits to taking that road, but it's not for me.

We could try having a type instead of theme, but I don't see using both at the same time (especially with this random nature of selection).

And about requiring commented code, I unfortunately have to stick with my decision. I don't want to tell people how to code. I have trust in voters.
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]