Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]

[IC] Maelstrom Academy

Sapphiron
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Scarlet Petal Floats
  • Laura was about to leave the table after finishing her meal when the minute hand struck twelve. The euphonious, relaxing sound of wind chimes began to resonate throughout the school, signifying the end of the lunch period. All across the dining hall, leftover food began to disappear, followed by the tableware. Without warning, scarlet red mist manifested out of nowhere, engulfing the students of Class A and forcibly drawing each of them into a large oval dimensional portal.

Upon regaining her mobility, she immediately examined her surroundings and found herself in the presence of a lady dressed in a garnet red Gothic corset dress, embedded with delicate ruffle trims. The lady took a quick glance at her class before folding her hands, which were concealed by a fine pair of obsidian gloves.

“If you are still in a state of shock from the experience of being sucked into a vortex, I would recommend you return back to the normal self as soon as possible because I will only be mentioning this once. Alright, allow me to introduce myself. I am Miss Belladonna, named after Atropa belladonna, a herbaceous plant that bears venomous berries, and the pedagogue who will be grading your class for Application of Practical and Theoretical Knowledge (APTK). Regrettably, the school administration has decided that there will be no formal lessons for this subject so you shall be evaluated purely based on your performance in Capture the Flag sessions, official interclass and interschool tournaments and quests that bring you beyond the four walls of this academy. To those who have yet to notice, your performance today in Capture the Flag will of course be factored into your final grade.”

I would not have expected anything less of an academy perceived to be the envy of the educational world within the magical community, to come up with the idea of including a graded assignment in the first day of school, Laura thought.

“As this is your time participating in Capture the Flag, all of you shall receive a simplified map, proudly sponsored by Maelstrom Printing Facilities. Subsequently, only the losing group will have access to the map. A brief summary of the map is as follows, each team will begin the match standing next to the flag they are responsible of protecting. Within the one hundred meter radius of each flag is rough grassland littered with trees every here and there. Moving on, the brown area represents the timber bridge connecting the grasslands to the heavily forested miniature floating isle with an enormous pagoda at the centre. Word of advice, try not to fall off the bridge, mainly because being swept around by gushing waves is not exactly the best experience for a student. The objective is to carry the flag of the opposing team back to the original position of the flag you are supposed to protect. To "disable" your opponent, simply place both hands on his or her shoulders and my magic will immobilize that person and teleport him/her to the pagoda. To "save" your teammate, head to the pagoda and do the exact same action. As long as you do not cross the boundary line which has been marked by runes or commit lethal blows and maiming, everything else is fair game. That shall be all the information made available to you before the match.”

With a snap of fingers, two portals appeared, with each leading to the pocket dimension created by Miss Belladonna. Before departing, her final words were “Since there is a recent shift in education policy to have more focus on student empowerment, Deviant and Velvet, the both of you will be the team leaders for this match so go ahead and pick your teammates. The both of you will be partially responsible for the success or failure of your team so all the best! I will be watching.”
    Sapphiron
    • Scarlet Petal Floats
    • Audi alteram partem
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    hollawarp
  • Former Citizen
  • salty rule-breaking shenaniganizer
  • Velvet blinked, dumbfounded for a second. She had rejected the offer of food again, and afterwards was dragged into this weird portal, and now she had been chosen to select a team to play "Capture the Flag". And as leader, the responsibility of the team was in her hands. Wonderful.

Velvet slowly turned to her classmates, debating about the lady's words spoken moments before. She didn't know these people. She hardly even knew their names. So she decided to choose randomly, and pointed a finger at each of them as she said,"You, you, you,you, aaaaand you."

The five people Velvet had singled out were Talia, Karlien, Zemas, Elliot, and Laura.
    hollawarp
    • I'm not saying you should meme, but you should meme
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kazier
      Wintreath Nation
    Rasdanation
  • Former Citizen
  • The Greatest Link
  • Zek looked around intrigued, warp holes, that's new.

"Velvet, you may only have 5 people to your team, you must choose a member to leave the team." Miss Belladonna quickly replied to Velvet's selection.

While Velvet was deciding who to kick out, Zek met up with the two members of Deviant's team, Deviant and Mads. "So, before we get to the game strategy, let's all introduce ourselves. I'll go first. I'm Zek Orthsburg. Who wants to go next?" Zek asked the group.
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:03:44 PM by Rasdanation »
    T'was the year of Wintreath!
    Rasdanation
    • The Greatest Link
    • To the Glory of Witchmond!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Danation
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Mads spoke up next to Zek and Deviant, "I'm Mads. My specialty is that I can kind of jump out of my body if I fall asleep, then I can walk around and through things and I'm invisible." Mads felt himself getting excited, explaining to his peers his power for the first time.

He then turned to Deviant, expecting him to introduce himself next.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Lumenland
  • Former Citizen
  • The short boy tilted his head a bit, "Oh, a-ah, my name is Deviant. I'm not...very good with leading and such, but I'll try my best." Deviant said, hoping to make a good impression, the raven haired male had always had a hard time making friends and such. Well, at least he had a decent sense of direction and was good at planning, so perhaps that meant he may be able to do at least something right with this. Either way, he'd certainly try his hardest, and he could get down and dirty if need be, if it ever came to that.
    Lumenland
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    hollawarp
  • Former Citizen
  • Velvet stared blankly for a moment. Upon realizing her mistake, she decided to randomly choose once more. She spoke with a hint of sarcasm as she said,"Right...I'm Velvet, great to meet you all." She pointed her finger at Elliot again. "And you, my friend, you can forget what I just said about you being on my team, since we're only allowed a certain amount of...people." She flashed a fake smile before falling silent. It wasn't that she didn't like people...she was just afraid of them. Being around others made her somewhat uncomfortable, especially today.
    hollawarp
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kazier
      Wintreath Nation
    Rasdanation
  • Former Citizen
  • The Greatest Link
  • Zek watched as Elliot made his way over to his new team. "Welcome to the team. I'm Zek, this is Mads, and this is Deviant. Do you mind introducing yourself?" Zek asked.
    T'was the year of Wintreath!
    Rasdanation
    • The Greatest Link
    • To the Glory of Witchmond!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Danation
      Wintreath Nation
    While everyone was goofing off in the cafeteria, Zemas decided to learn more about what he learned today in the library. After he finished reading a chapter of The Art of Illusions, he was forced into a portal by magic. After shaking off the aftereffects, he looked around and listened to Miss Belladonna, which he took an immediate dislike to for no particular reason.

Already a graded assignment, when we barely even started learning!

After she finished, he waited to be chosen. Zemas was quite amused at Velvet's blunder, but feigned ignorance at his mistake. He decided to greet himself and walked towards Velvet despite her obvious discomfort.

"Hello, my name is Zemas. Nice to meet you. Perhaps we should become friends, because we're all going to need to work together in this Capture the Flag... assignment." he said casually.
    Commander_Zemas
    Sapphiron
  • Scarlet Petal Floats
  • Laura had a vested interest in ensuring the victory of her team. She found the very concept of defeat to be distasteful, as it implied inferiority and the Cervantes family did not tolerate failures. As such, the casual attitude adopted by many of her classmates was rather off-putting, but for the sake of maintaining group cohesion, she was willing to swallow it for the time being. After all, in a war game such as Capture the Flag, effective teamwork was a factor of success, for when every individual contributors are coordinating their efforts and working towards a common goal, the possibility of triumphing over the other team would be significantly increased.

Joining her teammates with a mild smile, "It's a great pleasure to be part of your team, Velvet. And of course, nice to meet you too, Zemas. My name is Laura," and after taking a short pause, continued, "Shall we be discussing our individual abilities and group strategy here or after entering the pocket dimension?"

Sapphiron
    • Scarlet Petal Floats
    • Audi alteram partem
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Hydra
  • Former Citizen
  • Hail Hydra!
  • Talia was excited to play capture the flag. Running was her forte. It was what she enjoyed. She'd done it all the time when she was younger, and she could do it now. Her teammates were... less than excited to participate in this... assignment, as they called it.

She walked up to her team with a smile and said, "It's nice to meet all of you. Thanks for picking me, Velvet. It's a pleasure to meet you, Zemas, Laura. I'm Talia, by the way." She looked around, seeing that nobody was answering Laura's question, said her own opinion. "I think that we should discuss our strategy inside the pocket dimension, as that allows us to take note of the terrain and factor it into our planning. Thoughts, anyone?"
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
    - Mae West
    Hydra
    • Hail Hydra!
    • I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    "Sounds good to me." Zemas replied.
    Commander_Zemas
    hollawarp
  • Former Citizen
  • Velvet nodded in acknowledgement, wondering why her fellow classmates spoke the way they did. After Talia's reply to Laura's question, she nodded again in agreement. "Yeah, I'd think that would be best." She cracked her knuckles, her boredom and dullness suddenly vanishing.
    hollawarp
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kazier
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]