Pages: 1 ... 40 [41] 42 ... 51

What's Going on In Your Games?

La Hareng Rouge
  • Former Citizen
  • At the behest of a friend of mine, I ended up grabbing a PS4 so we could play Injustice 2 together.  So far my favorite character to use has been Swamp Thing.  I think I might pick up Prey since I love FPS games.  Is it any good?
    La Hareng Rouge
    DekuNut
  • Former Citizen
  • The Iceman cometh
  • I got a one-month subscription to EVE in a Humble Bundle once. Wasn't a fan tbh.

As for my stuff, just started playing Toontown: Rewritten (A fan revival of Toowntown Online). Such nostalgia, much wow.
    DekuNut
    • The Iceman cometh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Prey is solid. Would recommend.
    Did, in fact, maybe 5 posts back.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • I recently restarted Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I'm thinking of restarting it again with a different character, mostly to have access to different relationships. I'm also a bit miffed that I missed an interaction required to soften Leliana...am I the only one who ends up being a perfectionist with these sorts of games?

Still planning on playing Skyrim too, but probably when I have time off work, like this winter for vacation. I want to try my hand at roleplaying a character and posting about its exploits here, instead of just playing as myself in the game. That's going to take a lot more effort and time, thus not something I want to do just over a weekend...
    >when you harden her in DA:O and then soften her in DA:I
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • To be honest, I'm more used to hardening men. :))

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • To be honest, I'm more used to hardening men. :))
    I know that was a joke but seriously unhardened Alistair is such a little bitch I have to toughen him up every single time.
    "Waaah I don't wanna be a King Arthur allegory!"
    "Shut up your sister doesn't like you"
    "Okay I guess I can bang my hot sister in law if it'll save you from having to enter a really shitty landsmeet fight."
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I'm amused that you avoided saying you were hardening him. That could've been double-entendre gold right there. :))

Alistair does have a tendency to be broody, doesn't he? You wouldn't expect that from a Grey Warden.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I thought Bastion was amazing, particularly for a first game from a dev.
    Then Transistor happened, and Supergiant joined the rarified ranks of 'it's okay to pre-order from these guys because they have a good track record'.
    Now Pyre has come about, and with what is recognizably a bizarre premise and pretty unusual gameplay nonetheless being enjoyable AF, it is clear to me that Supergiant 1) can do no wrong and 2) is clearly on all kinds of just majestically incredible drugs because who comes up with this stuff.

Also, War of the Chosen is on point. I suppose not so great if you're not into superhuman deities running roughshod over alien invaders in the late game, or didn't like the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor, but honestly despite the fact that WOTC puts a lot more plates in the air for you to keep spinning, somehow none of them resulted in the horrific trainwreck that perpetually felt like it was on the horizon, which to me just added to the adrenaline rush of finally defeating one of the chosen and taking one of those plates off the metaphorical spinny stick.
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Last night I purchased Coming Out on Top, a very-well designed gay dating sim. I still can't believe I spent $14 on a dating sim, especially after having to pay over $300 to fix the furnace in my house, but...last night I just needed to get away mentally. It's hard not to think about something that I need to do at home, or a work project, or even ideas and projects for here in Wintreath, and given my mood I didn't think any of the games I had would take me away, so to speak.

In my first run-through, I did everything as I would've done for real and ended up with nobody (game imitating life, I suppose), but then I decided to pursue Ian, the guy I came to favour over my first run. He's that sort of laid-back, easy-going guy that's always joking around and doesn't take things too seriously, especially himself. I guess I tend to be attracted to those type of guys because they take the edge off my tendency to take things too seriously, turn everything into work, and worry about minor things. Maybe it's just sort of an opposites attract thing. Of course, that's hardly the only type of guy I can end up being attracted to, but it has been a regular thing in my life.

I stayed up until almost 3am playing it, and it left me mentally satisfied and introspective, though I guess almost anything can make me introspective, lol.
    2 people like this post: Michi, Aethelia

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • The best way to play BioWare games (for me at least) is to continue playing despite the mistakes. It makes the story better. Like when I fucked up my chances of achieving peace between the quarians and geth in ME2 already, resulting in the genocide of the entire quarian race in ME3. I still haven't come across anything as powerful since.
    1 person likes this post: Michi
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Last night I purchased Coming Out on Top, a very-well designed gay dating sim. I still can't believe I spent $14 on a dating sim, especially after having to pay over $300 to fix the furnace in my house, but...last night I just needed to get away mentally. It's hard not to think about something that I need to do at home, or a work project, or even ideas and projects for here in Wintreath, and given my mood I didn't think any of the games I had would take me away, so to speak.

In my first run-through, I did everything as I would've done for real and ended up with nobody (game imitating life, I suppose), but then I decided to pursue Ian, the guy I came to favour over my first run. He's that sort of laid-back, easy-going guy that's always joking around and doesn't take things too seriously, especially himself. I guess I tend to be attracted to those type of guys because they take the edge off my tendency to take things too seriously, turn everything into work, and worry about minor things. Maybe it's just sort of an opposites attract thing. Of course, that's hardly the only type of guy I can end up being attracted to, but it has been a regular thing in my life.

I stayed up until almost 3am playing it, and it left me mentally satisfied and introspective, though I guess almost anything can make me introspective, lol.

How were you able to purchase it? It tells me it's locked until October 2nd.  o-O
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • How were you able to purchase it? It tells me it's locked until October 2nd.  o-O
    It's been out for a few years I think, it's just that it's coming to Steam on October 2nd. I believe the Steam version will be censored a bit though...you'll have to manually change out some files if you get it there and want the, ahem, full experience. ;)

In any case, I've done all but two of the main routes and all of the "Brofindr" mini-routes (Brofindr is like an idealized version of grindr that your roommates creates. All the guys are interesting, into you as a person, and take you out on legitimately interesting dates that aren't just about meeting up for sex, but they still all put out at the end of the first and only date xD), and I'm at the point where I can pick favourites now!

Links below go to wiki pages, which can contain spoilers if you're interested in playing the game.

My favourite guy from the main routes is Jed, the promiscuous gay Asian punk rocker who turns out to have a sensitive and sweet side. Besides the fact that he's hot as hell, I really loved how fiercely independent and himself he was. At times he's very driven and intense, but at other times he's very laid back, especially when it comes to men and sex. He delivers pizza to you and your roommates if you're on his route, too...what a dream guy! xD

My favourite guy from the Brofindr dates is Theo, the high school nerd who grew up to be wildly successful. As the date goes on, you come to realize that he's much more introspective and you'd initially think based on the premise of the date, and at the end...well, let's just say he made me miss the time that I had a master a few years back. ;)
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:02:59 PM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I have to say, so far my least favorite is Ian.  He's one of those loveable-idiot types, but good god the "I don't want to folllow my true feelings" bit is insufferable.  He kisses you twice in the game and pretty much plays with the MC's feelings, but ends up being pretty much the worst character in the game so far.  Is it even possible to actually completely romance him? Or is he that one impossible character that exists for the sake of "a realistic character journey" like some sims are guilty of?
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I have to say, so far my least favorite is Ian.  He's one of those loveable-idiot types, but good god the "I don't want to folllow my true feelings" bit is insufferable.  He kisses you twice in the game and pretty much plays with the MC's feelings, but ends up being pretty much the worst character in the game so far.  Is it even possible to actually completely romance him? Or is he that one impossible character that exists for the sake of "a realistic character journey" like some sims are guilty of?
    Have you ever pursued a 'straight' guy before? It's pretty much like that. In fairness, there's a lot going on on his end too...he not only has to deal with his feelings for you, but also with the prospect of being into guys, coming out, how people will handle that, etc. You could only do the story from his side with as much if not more drama. :P

But you actually can completely romance him...just keep trying. Or consult a walkthrough, lol.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
    Have you ever pursued a 'straight' guy before? It's pretty much like that. In fairness, there's a lot going on on his end too...he not only has to deal with his feelings for you, but also with the prospect of being into guys, coming out, how people will handle that, etc. You could only do the story from his side with as much if not more drama. :P

But you actually can completely romance him...just keep trying. Or consult a walkthrough, lol.

See, maybe I'm just oblivious...or the script was just so horrendous at parts that didn't make it obvious, but I never got the impression that he even thought of himself as straight.  Sure, he was dating a woman in the beginning, and wanted you to talk up women at the frat party...but honestly how many straight/closeted guys out there are perfectly alright making out with another guy right then and there to get a woman's attention?

And again, even to prove a point, how many are going to do it AGAIN if they're pushing themselves as straight?  Sure, you could argue that it has to do with his feelings for the MC or heat of the moment, but I mean even then, even the first one wouldn't make sense for someone in the closet.  Since they're doing all they can to prove that they're totally not gay, I imagine that's the last way you'd want to prove it.

Not to mention, the whole reason he and Zoe say is because he doesn't want to ruin the friendship between him and the MC.  Not because he's afraid of being into guys at all, not because he doesn't understand his feelings or anything like that...but because they're best friends and he doesn't want to ruin that.  Yet he's cool with making out with his best friend that JUST came out, getting himself drunk and spilling out his feelings to you, and then doing a complete 180 and not just avoiding you, but turning into a jerk about it.

Then the only way you can actually finish your romance with him is finding him tied up and blindfolded because he's living out his fantasy anonymously via help from his beard Zoe, or whatever random guy she brings in.  Really?  That was supposed to be something that the player could even guess in the first place (not to mention she couldn't have just told you earlier and brought you in instead of a random guy)?

Really, characters like him are essentially becoming a trope.  Romanceable characters that you essentially get the most character development with because they have the most issue with their feelings for whatever reason (friendship, orientation, thinking they like someone else), but because of that "journey" you get the most reward with (in this game's case, Ian is the only one you actually marry as opposed to just end up dating).

But really, the romance genre (books, games) is pretty much a trope in its own way.  Living out whatever fantasies you yourself have by having the power to get the guy you've always wanted (the best friend, the jock, the "bad boy," the teacher, the military man, etc...), it tends to get tedious after a bit.  I do like that this was more like a visual novel than an actual game, but this is really no exception to that rule.

And good god, I'm sorry, but I just have an issue with casual talk in scripts unless it's character dialogue or character thoughts.  Any narrative beyond that just sounds off when they do it, and there were times I pretty much fell out of interest because the script just sounded weird.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:53:31 PM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria