Pages: [1]

Expanded Powers Proposal

HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • I am creating this as a separate area for people to discuss my idea that -in order to give the Underhusen more to do as well as encourage activity around the forum and possibly inspire new legislation- the powers and position the Skrifa in the UH have and hold can be expanded and built upon to make them a larger part of the region...

Honestly I am still working out a lot of the details, however I would like to see if anyone is interested in thinking about where this could go over direct democracy, an open UH, or disbanding it entirely...?

If no one is interested in this avenue then I suppose I will not pursue it too far, however in the meantime I hope to expand on this and come up with a few plans of how to implement it and what it would incorporate.
    :)

Thanks for your time  ^-^
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:48:43 AM by HannahB »
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • If I support this, I'd essentially be saying "fuck you" to my guilds initiative. :P

Apart from that, though, I just don't think the UH should get anywhere near our embassies and stuff. They should stick to law.

Nothing prevents members of the legislature from getting involved with other parts of the region.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • It's funny that we talked about banning the riksrad from taking up more space in the underhusen a couple times but that your proposal now talks about making the underhusen into the Riksrad...
    To me I think this will make fewer not more obvious avenues of advancement... With the underhusen, which only has a few seats, being in charge of more there will be less that one could go to work and do...
    Additionally sometimes people simply are inactive... Right now we can switch those people out of anything if they're in a vital Riksrad position... We have measures specifically for Riksrad activity... With an elected official we wouldn't have that same ability... Even if there was an activity rule switching out stops that process for a week...
    Which could be disastrous at the wrong time...
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Okay then, it seems people don't like the idea :-\ Though how it can simultaneously screw over the Guilds and also be redundant is a mystery to me personally, no matter I'll move on. :)

Though I'd like to make the comment that, is it possible that the idea of destroying the Underhusen has simply gained too much "momentum", that even if it turned out to be a bad idea that people would carry on with it anyway simply because it is lodged so deep in peoples minds? I don't really know if this is the case but it happened recently with a project of mine IRL and I just thought I'd voice my concern here. :P

Either way, my new idea is very similar, except instead of turning the UH into either the Guilds or the Riksråd, they remain a soley legislative branch of government, but gain the ability to legislate more broadly...

The way I see the issue here is that UH activity is down, why, because they don't have much to do other than self flagellate :)) thus I personally think that the most obvious solution is to give the UH more to do.

Expanding on this, I think that there is much more the UH could regulate, especially with Laurentus' guild idea coming up, while I understand that a lot of people don't like beurocracy and regulation I think continued development in that area could be useful. If the Underhusen had the ability to legislate say, what could and couldn't call itself an official Wintreath event or activity or work on treaties and such.

Again not putting too much effort into this idea in case it has no support, but what do people think of this?
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • It sounds a bit too much like keeping the UH alive, for the sake of keeping it alive. The purpose of the UH is to legislate. If it can no longer do that, it has no purpose or place anymore.

I came up with the guilds idea when I was feeling especially gloomy about the Storting, as a way to give people a chance to advance in the region and help out in other ways than just legislation.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Technically, reading from your post in the Convention intro, the Storting already has many of those authorities...the Ministries of Culture, Information, and Integration don't have any real power, they're more like coordinating ministries because it's a good idea to have a body that's dedicated to building activity in those areas. The Storting can't order those ministries, but it does have standing to legislate in those areas...for example, it could ban a certain event or game whereas the Jarl of Culture can't. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but they could as an example. :P

As for running festivals...sure, they could technically do that, but is there any reason to? People could come together and do that in their capacity just as Citizens, and the only sign-off required would be if they wanted to involve other regions or utilize some of our communications tools (WFE, regional telegram, etc). In fact people that take the initiative and organize games and events have in the past become Jarl of Culture because of their talents in that area.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Yeah we really have to clarify if you need confirmation from Jarls/Thanes to do things in most areas... I had always thought of the Jarls/Thanes as having the power to support, organize, and help push ideas as well as gatekeep things like WFE but that you didn't need necessarily confirmation for most things, particularly stuff like RP or games...
    Reon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    RedRevenant/Sci
  • Former Citizen
  • He Who Seeks
  • This is not exactly what hannah said or something like that...
    But what if the Underhusen drafted and proposed WA and SC legislature?
    It's taking what they are presently allowed to do but shifting the magnification and scope of where they do so.

EDIT:
    Stupid idea, but just something to keep the lethargy away. Why don't we have the Underhusen when they have spare time, have a nation and make laws for that?
    As responses to issues.
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:00:09 AM by RedRevenant/Sci »
    RedRevenant/Sci
    • He Who Seeks
    • I am the One that Seeks. I Seek that which i need
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Because fuck the WA, that's why. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. The UH's sometimes petty politics is nothing compared to the clusterfuck that is the WA. I think @Colberius X and @Reon might agree.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Michi
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • As someone whose dealt with the WA for a little while now, it is a hellworld... I have done much to separate Wintreath and the WA...
    Reon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Colberius X
  • Citizen
  • Servant of Order
  • Because fuck the WA, that's why. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. The UH's sometimes petty politics is nothing compared to the clusterfuck that is the WA. I think @Colberius X and @Reon might agree.
    I do agree.

First Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria - Founded 5.06.2015
    Former Peer of the Overhusen - Served 4.17.2015 until 6.08.2016
    Recipient of the Wintreath Commendation - Awarded 11.02.2017

Lord Inquisitor
    Ambassador of New Hyperion
    Colberius X
    • Servant of Order
    • I serve the balance, and through it the Force shall guide me.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    RedRevenant/Sci
  • Former Citizen
  • He Who Seeks
  • I would deal with the WA.
    Just getting the Underhusen to do something is good.
    Even if it doesn't mean anything.
    RedRevenant/Sci
    • He Who Seeks
    • I am the One that Seeks. I Seek that which i need
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • The WA is a completely different monster outside of the UH.  Tis why it even has its own ministry.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    PB
  • Paragons
  • I'm going to join the chorus and say WA affairs should remain separate from the Storting.  In the current system, I suppose there's nothing wrong with a Skrifa introducing a WA bill as a "non-binding resolution" to be voted on by the UH, as a way to express the UH's opinions on a particular resolution, but that action is pretty much meaningless.  Doing the same or something similar in the open assembly would be a waste of time, in my humble opinion.
    1 person likes this post: Michi
    PB
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]