Pages: [1] 2 ... 8

US Presidential Election: The Electoral College and Party Loyalty

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • This is an article from a few months ago, but I still found it very interesting: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/2016-predictions-117554

In a way it's kind of sad...a year and a half prior to the presidental election, before we even know who the candidates are, we're able to predict which party will win it in a majority of states with near-absolute certainty. You can even say that when it comes to winning the election, the actual candidates matter only marginally...so long as they're not an absolute mess they're guaranteed to win the states loyal to their parties. It wasn't always like this...nationally this only became a thing starting in the 2000 election, but in some states it's been longer...Texas hasn't supported a Democratic candidate for president since 1976 (Jimmy Carter).

I suppose it's just a sign of a polarized nation.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Were I an American, I honestly don't know who I would support. This may surprise people, but I believe abortion to be murder, and thus the Democrats have an uphill battle already.

On the other hand, America clearly needs far stricter gun laws, and should definitely be nudged to be more aware of the environment.

Basically, with your strange two-party system, I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for either party.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The recent controversy about Planned Parenthood aside, abortion actually doesn't factor much in elections...abortion was approved by the Supreme Court so it's pretty much out of the purview of the other branches minus a Constitutional amendment.

I'm curious though...what's your stance on abortions in cases where the pregnancy risks the health of the mother? Or if the pregnancy is the result of a rape?
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:25:15 PM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I'm a catholic, I have been for as long as I've lived and I do honestly believe in my church. Personally, I'm against abortion. All the scientists and doctors who say that its not a life yet are just missing the point. In terms of rape, incest and life of the mother, I have no problems. However, legally speaking (here in Singapore and back in the States), I support a women's right to get an abortion if she so chooses because I believe in separation of church and state.

As for the American system, this strange 2 party system you have is better than our 1 party all the time always forever system Singapore has adopted. And if I was American (which I could be), I would vote for the democrats.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • In the case of incest, particularly between very close family members, I believe it's merciful to allow abortion rather than allow the child to grow up with severe disabilities, but I get why you ask about rape and when the pregnancy endangers the mother.

In the case of rape, I still don't think it should be aborted if the pregnancy doesn't endanger the mother, and if it isn't the result of incest. I sympathise that the mother could possibly not love the child, but why not give the child up for adoption then? It goes without saying that if one is forced to choose between the life of the mother and the child, the mother should have the choice of whether to keep the pregnancy and risk her life or not.

I should point out I'm not against it based on religious reasons. Rather philosophical and actual scientific reasons. Allowing abortion in the case of rape muddies the waters, because it sets a double standard.

And at North: I honestly prefer your system in Singapore. It is not perfect, but I think even an American would be hard pressed to say that their system is better than the one in Singapore, without getting philosophical instead of practical.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Colberius X
  • Citizen
  • Servant of Order
  • You summed up my own thoughts pretty well right there, @Laurentus.  I happen to oppose it for religious reasons, but I'd but just as set against for purely scientific and philosophical reasons as well.

First Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria - Founded 5.06.2015
    Former Peer of the Overhusen - Served 4.17.2015 until 6.08.2016
    Recipient of the Wintreath Commendation - Awarded 11.02.2017

Lord Inquisitor
    Ambassador of New Hyperion
    Colberius X
    • Servant of Order
    • I serve the balance, and through it the Force shall guide me.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • In the case of incest, particularly between very close family members, I believe it's merciful to allow abortion rather than allow the child to grow up with severe disabilities, but I get why you ask about rape and when the pregnancy endangers the mother.

In the case of rape, I still don't think it should be aborted if the pregnancy doesn't endanger the mother, and if it isn't the result of incest. I sympathise that the mother could possibly not love the child, but why not give the child up for adoption then? It goes without saying that if one is forced to choose between the life of the mother and the child, the mother should have the choice of whether to keep the pregnancy and risk her life or not.

I should point out I'm not against it based on religious reasons. Rather philosophical and actual scientific reasons. Allowing abortion in the case of rape muddies the waters, because it sets a double standard.

And at North: I honestly prefer your system in Singapore. It is not perfect, but I think even an American would be hard pressed to say that their system is better than the one in Singapore, without getting philosophical instead of practical.
    I mostly ask because that issue has spelled the end of many Republicans' political careers...not necessarily because they opposed it in cases of rape, but because they then went on to make inflammatory comments about rape itself, such as Todd Akon claiming that women couldn't get pregnant from 'legitimate rape'...costing him a Senate Seat in 2012.

I'm not sure I agree with you, if only because of the state of foster care system in the country. Because it's not nearly as visible an issue as abortion, there aren't many groups championing that cause, and in may cases the system doesn't have enough resources. To make things even worse, Americans would rather adopt from other countries, and the only reason that foreign adoptions are going down is because countries are placing obstacles against American adoptions. Russia has even banned Americans from adopting from there. I can't help but wonder the sort of life kids can live there...I'm sure it works out in most cases, but how many of them feel unwanted or aren't being given the attention they need?

If adoption is going to be the alternative to abortion, then it needs to be more of an issue...it handles 400,000 children as it is, and we need more groups that will champion those causes and raise the profile and importance of the system.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • And at North: I honestly prefer your system in Singapore. It is not perfect, but I think even an American would be hard pressed to say that their system is better than the one in Singapore, without getting philosophical instead of practical.

As someone who has been in both Singapore and the US, I disagree. Unless you are referring to the Westminster system in general.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Yeah our adoption and foster care system is thoroughly fucked up. I honestly think that if a mother doesn't want a child, but would end up putting it in the foster care system, it would be more merciful to abort it at this point. (Further while I am neutral on abortion I do support a woman's right to get one, even if I was against it I would support the right to choose...)
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  •      I'd definitely vote for the Democrats in this election... the only Republican of any repute is Kasich.  Personally I'm a Bernie Sanders guy :D .  Income inequality and climate change are by far the most pressing matters in the United States right now, especially after the recent Supreme Court ruling.  :)
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • But would you still vote for Hillary Clinton over any Republican (except Kasich perhaps)?

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Stir
  • Former Citizen
  • Spicy Bean
  • Re: abortion-
    The key thing everyone leaves out of the abortion debate is the concept of bodily autonomy. See, if your cousin is dying and needs a kidney transplant, and yours could save him, and you don't need both kidneys...nobody can still force you to give him your kidney.

But what pro-lifers argue is that a woman has to give up her entire body for a child she does not want, that will permanently alter her hormones, her brain composition, and her physical structure (did you know pregnancy literally forces your abs to split down the middle? yeaaaah). Also, even healthy mothers-to-be can suffer sudden complications and die, or be permanently disabled. It happens to millions of women every year. Pregnancy is the most lethal endeavor most women ever go through; moms are absolutely hardcore.

And then, once the baby is had, who takes care of it? The mother, almost always with no help from the people who forced her to risk her life carrying it for around nine months, who has had her life completely and irrevocably changed against her will.

Either that, or the kid gets put up for adoption; chances are if they're not a healthy, white baby they're not getting adopted, so they rot in the system until they're grown, wondering what they did to deserve being abandoned. So, effectively, you can ruin two lives for the price of one (barring twins, etc.)!

TL;DR a pregnant person is at way more risk than a kidney donor for long-term health impacts in physical, mental, and emotional areas, and yet we cannot force someone to donate a kidney so why should anyone be allowed to force someone to bear a child?

Back on topic:
    I'd vote for Jill Stein but she essentially has zero chance of winning. Casting my vote for Bernie because he's the next best thing.

I'd still vote Hillary over any Republican, just because this election is less about the presidency and more about who gets appointed to the Supreme Court, tbh. The Justices have a lot more impact in many ways than the president.
    • Spicy Bean
    Stir
    • Dum spiro spero.
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • But would you still vote for Hillary Clinton over any Republican (except Kasich perhaps)?

Yeah, I'd vote for Clinton above any Republican (except Kasich, yeah) any day.  The rest of the Republican field seems like a bunch of bumbling baboons, especially considering that the top three want to make Mexico build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border (Trump), declare war on Islam and get rid of separation of church and state (Carson), and try to be CEO of the country after driving Hewlett Packard into the ground by merging with Compaq (Fiorina). 
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Colberius X
  • Citizen
  • Servant of Order
  • Bodily autonomy... What about the baby's? By that same logic, an abortion is far worse than carrying the child to term.  Ending a life completely happens to interfere a little more with bodily autonomy than hormonal shifts and physiological changes.  And as soon as the two gametes become one zygote, there are two distinct bodies involved, not just the mother's.

With regards to Supreme Court justices, keep in mind who appoints them.  Granted, one of them needs to die or step down before we get a new one, but it's still the President that makes the call.

Oh, crap, I just realized that I can actually vote in this presidential election.  Whelp, guess I'd better start paying closer attention to the candidates...

First Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria - Founded 5.06.2015
    Former Peer of the Overhusen - Served 4.17.2015 until 6.08.2016
    Recipient of the Wintreath Commendation - Awarded 11.02.2017

Lord Inquisitor
    Ambassador of New Hyperion
    Colberius X
    • Servant of Order
    • I serve the balance, and through it the Force shall guide me.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen

• Bodily autonomy... What about the baby's? By that same logic, an abortion is far worse than carrying the child to term.  Ending a life completely happens to interfere a little more with bodily autonomy than hormonal shifts and physiological changes.  And as soon as the two gametes become one zygote, there are two distinct bodies involved, not just the mother's.

With regards to Supreme Court justices, keep in mind who appoints them.  Granted, one of them needs to die or step down before we get a new one, but it's still the President that makes the call.

Oh, crap, I just realized that I can actually vote in this presidential election.  Whelp, guess I'd better start paying closer attention to the candidates...
    Colberius, what you've just argued is that the baby's bodily autonomy should override the pregnant persons... And that's just not how bodily autonomy works, no ones overrides anyone's...
    The pregnant person is deciding not to use their body to support something else and that's within the bounds of bodily autonomy... It doesn't override the baby's at all...
    But when you say that the decision as to whether the pregnant person can do that is up to the baby? That's overriding the pregnant person's autonomy and therefore inappropriate...
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2 ... 8