• Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Working on it... It's a lot harder during spring break because fucking everyone is out...
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
  • I'm really fucking broke right now, just blew all my money on expensive, lifesaving surgery.
    Drexyl Nox
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • The most expensive game of life...
    But oh how glad we are that they worked!
    Reon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • This train has already left the station, but let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there was a crazy month for Xbox Live Gold -members. I have acquired for only the subscription fee the following titles: Bioshock Infinite, Terraria, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Army of TWO: The Devil's Carter and Gears of War: Judgment. Five games for just seven euros, three of which I actually want to play and the rest aren't too bad either.

Why? How? I don't really understand how Microsoft runs this Gold thing, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask, but I like it. I checked and they only seem to hand the AC IV and AoT to for free right now. I'm expecting to get one more free game before my subscription ends again, but honestly this is already way more than what I signed up for. :D
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • It's because they're in constant competition with Playstation Plus.

One month, Playstation Plus had Ducktales Remastered, Duke Nukem, Prototype 2, Infamous First Light, a good indie game known as Swapper, and a mediocre one known as Whoa Dave.

But we're talking PS3 had 3 very well known and played games and a excellent Indie title, and then the same Indie Title and a much appreciated prequel-game for the PS4.

February's included Thief and Yakuza 4, two exceptional games as well, and Transistor being an excellent futuristic RPG by the people that did Bastion.

March's had an exceptional Sherlock Holmes game, Papo and Yo (another fun one), Oddworld New and Tasty, and two entertaining Indies known as Valient Hearts and Counterspy.

And April's is best easily forgotten.  :P

May's hasn't officially been revealed yet, but I'm curious as to what will be on it.

My point, however, is that the two are always competing.  PS has balanced its Indie and AAA games and shown that it can release good ones of both for its PS+ members.  The only way for Xbox to counter that is have a large list of AAA titles.

My only gripe is that PS4 sees much more indie titles than anything else, but that's most likely because it has a smaller library to grab from.  I'm hoping for a complete AAA title month for PS4, but that'll probably be down the road later on.
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:32:04 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I just thought I'd point out...the Humble Bundle has a Heros of Might and Magic bundle out, which seems to have almost every game in the franchise. The average price ($11.49) is a good bit higher than for most others bundles, so I'm not sure if I'll get this one yet or not...

https://www.humblebundle.com/

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Damn, it even has Might and Magic 1-6.  All it's missing is M&M 7-9

And you can snatch a few others as well as M&M 10 if you pay a tad higher than the average price.

Curious why 7-9 aren't included in the bundle at all if the others are.
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:59:11 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I must say, Blizzard must be low on ideas if they're making what's essentially going to be seen as a League of Legends clone.  And if they charge people to play it, I have a feeling it's going to get a lot of backlash considering LoL, which has been around for quite some time and gathered a large fanbase, is free to play.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Considering that the entire genre started with the Defense of the Ancients mod for Warcraft 3, Blizzard's probably kicking themselves for not developing a game in the area much sooner. On the other hand, League of Legends has only become insanely lucrative in the last few years, so given the timing Blizzard may choose to go with the same freemium model, as they've already done with Hearthstone.

Also, most games are clones in some way, shape, or form...for years after Dune came out in 1992, RTS games were called Dune clones. :P
    2 people like this post: tatte, Michi

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • Got Mafia II, bringing the total to six games. Me gusta. Thank you Microsoft, thank you Sony! ^_^
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen

• I must say, Blizzard must be low on ideas if they're making what's essentially going to be seen as a League of Legends clone.  And if they charge people to play it, I have a feeling it's going to get a lot of backlash considering LoL, which has been around for quite some time and gathered a large fanbase, is free to play.
    For reference, Heroes of the Storm is only similar in that they are both Mobas with four ability character schemes.
    Right now they're doing a paid beta scheme which is questionable...
    And the game overall is hugely unbalanced and unpleasant to play. Regardless of my league bias it is true that a lot of it comes off as infantile or weird despite more than a few cool character schemes and designs.
    Reon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Being infantile isn't always a bad thing. *points to profile pic*
    Drexyl Nox
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • I'm in the middle of downloading Dungeon Siege right now. It originally came out in 2002 and the gameplay reminds me of Diablo 2 or Fate. It looks pretty fun. I got it for free, but you can buy it on Steam for $6.99 or get the entire series for $19.99.

It has a few expansions. I got one, Legends of Arranna. It also supports up to 8 people so that could be fun. :P
    1 person likes this post: Michi
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • There's a lot of new Humble Bundles lately:

The Paradox Interactive Bundle: Depending on how much you want to spend ($1-$15), this pretty much covers all their main series and some others to boot, with more games to be added later. I'm not personally sure if I'm going to get it since I already have most of the games on there, but if you'd like to get into series like Magicka, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, or Europa Universalis this is your chance to get started. I guess you can by the many DLCs later on. :P

The RPG Edition Book II Bundle: I'm honestly not familiar with all the games in the bundle, but to me the standout  is Fate. If you're looking to get into the exact same game, I'd recommend Torchlight over Fate...Torchlight/Torchlight II is a newer series from many of the same people behind Fate (plus some from Diablo II, the true classic in the genre), and you can often find them on sale these days. Geeze, I can't believe they're trying to sell a text-based RPG and a RPG-themed pinball game...have the 80s returned?

There's also a Spring Sale going on in the Humble Store, and they have some so-so deals. If you haven't picked up Civilization V, you can get it and all the DLC for $12.49, which is about as good as recent Steam sales. Otherwise, I haven't found the sale to be very impressive, but they're putting out new sales every day through Thursday if you want to check them out.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 10